NEW...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bounce: jumping for joy for you, hockeymom!!!

I just love our never ending excitement when one of us plans a WDW trip! It never gets old and boring. We certainly are addicted.

Now as for moving the AKL animals to the S/D....hmmmmm:scratchin ::yes::

I am so excited for all those heading to the World for the upcoming school vacation. I think we have used all our snow days so I am hoping we don't have to give back any days at Easter!:(
GoofyinNY, I just got my countdown timer to work too!:o
Happy trip to all!

Thanks Joanne!!!! It's going to seem so much closer when I see those new brochures!!!

Mouseteacher - that sounds like fun!!! Funny, AKL is about the one hotel that I have never wanted to stay at along with the AllStars/PopCent, etc. I love the Swan, but would also at some point like to do, Boardwalk, Y/B, PortOrleans, GrandFl & Wilderness. I don't ask for much do I? I'll stick with the Swan.......:p

Congratulations Dismom63! I was quite excited when I got my countdown clock to work. It's look like we' re on similar timetables. I can't wait until April.

Originally posted by #1hockeymom
Or, how about this plan.... we move the akl animals to the Swan/Dolphin!
GOOD for YOU, you're all set!! ~Now, Debbie, are we talking about the infamous "Cattle family?" The one with the Papa, Mama and Baby (AKA: Mr. Ankole, Mrs. Ankole, and Baby Ankole)?! :hyper: I'M IN!!! ::yes::

joshua4~Hi, Lauren! :wave2: Planning anything "special" for mom, for Valentine's day? It's such a great day to express love and sentiment. :goodvibes: As always, good to hear from you.

jmcross~Hello, Joanne. Hope your DS's dentist visit goes well, especially that close to leaving. The dentist should be able to repair or set a temp. for him. Let us know how it goes (poor little fella). I can imagine it hurt something terrible. :hug: A trip to WDW should make it all better! Have a safe and memorable trip! :wave2: Enjoy your time in the MAGIC, and be sure to drop us a line (if you are able), or POST as soon as you return! :sunny:

Zwife~Pixie dust and prayers coming your way. Hope the love/embrace of your family helps to ease the pain/shock of the news. My heart is with you during this trying time.

Mouseteacher~Have you confirmed your DH for travel to WDW this summer? :smooth: I know in the end...he will not opt to stay behind! I hope we are able to connect, and spend some time together. :sunny:

TTFN...DF99 :wave2:

Yes, that would be the famous ankole family. Mr. Ankole, Mrs. Ankole, and Baby Ankole! I think they would love hanging around the grotto pool and the beach areas!

Thank you to everyone for sharing my excitement! I realize I was just there in January (I would do that again in a second! Great bonding time!), but watching the snow fly outside in this dreary neighborhood where I work really has me dreaming to visit my happy place!

To all about to leave... Don't forget the sunglasses! I have heard there is such a thing called SUN! Enjoy!

Debbie

I just checked the weather for next week in Orlando and it looks like rain every day. I just want to cry.:umbrella:

Has anyone else experienced a week in the rain?

Joanne

Joanne

Put away the kleenex. I have done WDW in the rain and had a great time. This is what you need to keep in mind.

1. Wear sandals, preferably those great walking ones like Tivas. That way you will not have to deal with wet socks. Wet socks are the worst!

2. Pick up rain ponchos, those little disposable ones, at Target. Alternatively, try to find some cheap non-disposable rain ponchos.

3. The lines go down dramatically when it rains, which is a nice benefit.

4. Pack a bag of dry clothes just in case and put it in a locker as soon as you get to the park. If you park hop, show your locker receipt to the second park and I think they will give you the second locker free (I think it works just like the strollers, someone correct me if I am wrong).

5. I can't remember if you are bringing kids. If so, take a towel from the hotel and use it to wipe down stroller if necessary. Also can use an extra rain poncho wrapped on stroller to keep it dry.

I have spent many a rainy day at WDW and my kids still laugh when they remember some of our running around in rain ponchos singing "singing in the rain" at the top of our lungs.

The most important tip I can give you is to have a positive attitude. If it rains, you may get wet. If you get too wet and are uncomfortable, you can go back to the hotel and take a break. Typically, we never had to go back to change, just changed tshirts with the supply in the locker.

Hang in there.

Lauren

Jmcross ~ We have been in Sept-October 2 different times and both times it rained most afternoons. It was fine as long as we had our ponchos with us. I will send pixie dust your way ******hoping it will not rain everyday :) ****** I am sure you will have a great time ! I can't wait to hear about your trip. :)

I emailed the Swan/Dolphin yesterday about our upcoming visit. I asked about the resort being sold out for March 9th. My current reservation was for a check out on March 9th. I have not heard back from my email, but I decided to call and confirm our ressies by phone and we now have a check out for March 10th. yipee ! Some WDW magic and pixie dust already being spread :) Now we don't have to change resorts until we are ready to leave for the beach on the 10th. :hyper: So now we have 10 nights at the Dolphin in a Junior suite on club level ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

Waving to the room :wave:

(with my penchant for faux pas, dare I attempt to spell hakuna matata :eek: )

Anyway there were dire predictions for the weather when I went to WDW the end of Jan 2001 and guess what?- it rained exactly 3 hours on one day in that week, during which time we ran from country to country in Epcot World Showcase eating, shopping, seeing shows and DD got more time to perfect her mask without DH wandering off or standing around making "creative" suggestions hoping to speed up the process. ::yes:: DH's favorite place became Epcot because he was forced to temper his hyperactivity and really connect to his surroundings. He even enjoyed O'Canada which is saying alot for DH.

So go- enjoy! It will be well. :wave2:

Originally posted by jmcross
I just checked the weather for next week in Orlando and it looks like rain every day. I just want to cry.:umbrella:

Has anyone else experienced a week in the rain?

Joanne

we did, in October 1999. it was fine. we just didn't get to swim as much as we'd like.

I wouldn't put much faith in the weatherman, anyway. they can't get the forecast right for tomorrow, much less all week :)

Last time we went it rained quite a bit (of course it was summer so it wasn't cold or anything) I had bought those rain ponchos ahead of time but when I left them under the sink to dry over at our Universal hotel (NOT the S/D!) our maid threw them away thinking they were trash...so much for planning ahead.

Luckily, I had brought an Eddie Bauer rain jacket from Target in the camping section . It was wonderful! It folded so small, was warm but not "hot" when worn and so much easier and more comfortable for me then the poncho had been. Next time I will bring one for each of us. :hyper: :hyper:

Here's hoping the weather man is "all wet" and not you!:sunny:

My folks (snowbirds) are currently residing at a resort in Melbourne Beach where they return each Jan-March! They just called to inform me it had been raining since they arrived, (end of Jan), but the weather was breaking! Think SUN! :sunny:

We are ALWAYS there in the rain....as it storms nearly every afternoon in the summer. This past visit, there was a horrendous storm moving in...but we had ressies at the Rose & Crown and did not wish to miss them. So, we headed out for the dock when we saw the boat approaching, (we were sitting in the old Coral Cafe...now the BLue Zoo). As soon as we approached the dock...the WIND and SKY opened! It was THUNDROUS, with lashing/biting winds and stinging rain. The captain ran from the boat to the dock cover, and informed us (Nearly having to YELL), he would try to sit there and "ride it out" for about 10 minutes. As he ran back for cover, we stood together...huddled around DD. There were a few other parties of folks doing the same. Within two minutes...we were ALL SOAKED to the skin :rotfl:, something which has not happened in a LONG time! There was truly NO place to hide from this storm, as the sideways wind was insuring every single place be drenched. We RAN through the deluge to the safety of the Dolphin. Laughing & dripping...we took the elevator to our suite, where we showered (hot...ahhh! It is truly possible to get COLD in Orlando in the summer) and changed into dry clothes. We called the restaurant, and ordered IN! This particular storm did not PASS...and stayed all eve. It was a hoot. :teeth: These are some of the memories I deem PRICELESS!

No matter WHAT the weather...have a MAGICAL time!

:wave2: TTFN...DF99

jmcross~ sounds like you received some good advice. I agree about the weatherman really not knowing what is going to happen. Here's hoping you have :sunny: days!

DF~ YES - DH will not let us leave him behind!!! DS and I keep teasing him that he'd better behave or we will go without him! :teeth:

MP~ great news for you and the family!

Originally posted by tink44
"DD got more time to perfect her mask without DH wandering off or standing around making "creative" suggestions hoping to speed up the process. ::yes:: DH's favorite place became Epcot because he was forced to temper his hyperactivity and really connect to his surroundings."
:jumping1: :rotfl: And I thought my DH was the only one...LOL!!! DD still enjoys making masks...and I, on occasion, have made one or two (child in me just won't take NO for an answer!). DH is getting better, but I recall times when he would say things like, "We'll be here ALL day, making masks!" In fact, most of the participants sitting with the God-Given "Patience of Jobe" were in fact WOMEN and their children. :teeth: Patience, (IMHO), is of short supply in most of the males in my circle (and come to think of it, outside the circle too)! ESPECIALLY, when it comes to something like MASK-MAKING (sponsored by FAMILY FUN Magazine!). He He...your post truly gave me a chuckle! Thanks, Tink! :wave2:

DF99

Ok- smiling as i gulp - we will have a great time - rain or no rain.It is a vacation- a magical place to relax. Roger has been down and out since he was assaulted by a student and knocked unconscious. It was just an "accident" as 2 kids were fooling around and one of them fell into him and knocked him into a concrete wall. And all he was doing was walking down a corridor on the middle school side of the building as he went to lunch!!!
We still are teachers who love our jobs, but i chance to say, he may be more hesitant in that statement than i am right now. He has not been back to work since it happened on Jan 7th and after a few hospital stays since then, this trip is most welcome - rain or no rain!!!
There are so many wonderful kids out there - but he happened to find two who did not feel that shoving each other might result in an accident!

2 more days til the Dolphin! Can't wait. Caroline :teacher:

JMCross- here's hoping you have a fantastic trip.

As soon as we approached the dock...the WIND and SKY opened! It was THUNDROUS, with lashing/biting winds and stinging rain.

Dreamflight, this particular storm wasn't on a Monday night in mid-August last year was it? If so then you and I were caught in the same storm. We also had a PS at the Rose and Crown, but we managed to make it. We were quite soggy though.

Melissa

As soon as we approached the dock...the WIND and SKY opened! It was THUNDROUS, with lashing/biting winds and stinging rain.

Dreamflight, this particular storm wasn't on a Monday night in mid-August last year was it? If so then you and I were caught in the same storm. We also had a PS at the Rose and Crown, but we managed to make it. We were quite soggy though.

Melissa

Caroline~That is awful! Sounds like you really need a vacation! Enjoy!!

Someone put the whole rain issue into perspective for me today. They said that 70 degrees in the rain was much better than the 8-10 degrees that it's going to be here on Sunday!

Joanne

Originally posted by lovingthemouse
Ok- smiling as i gulp - we will have a great time - rain or no rain.It is a vacation- a magical place to relax. Roger has been down and out since he was assaulted by a student and knocked unconscious. It was just an "accident" as 2 kids were fooling around and one of them fell into him and knocked him into a concrete wall. And all he was doing was walking down a corridor on the middle school side of the building as he went to lunch!!!
We still are teachers who love our jobs, but i chance to say, he may be more hesitant in that statement than i am right now. He has not been back to work since it happened on Jan 7th and after a few hospital stays since then, this trip is most welcome - rain or no rain!!!
There are so many wonderful kids out there - but he happened to find two who did not feel that shoving each other might result in an accident!

Caroline, How dreadful! Yes, it does sound like you and Roger are ready for a vacation! Your son too! I hope his dentist visit fixed his broken tooth with a temp. Don't worry about the weather! Just pack your ponchos and an umbrella and enjoy the magic. You deserve it!

Hockeymom, I'm excited to read your news about AKL! You are a regular there now! Happy planning!

MomPoppins, It's great to read about your plans for the Dolphin! I'm thrilled that you got the extra night! Remember, you don't have to stay on CL to have CL privs when you are Platinum SPG. Go for a great view on the east wing if available.

Waving to the room!

Muffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter