New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

MW updated their webcam again, and the Wish now has portable cranes and barges along side, with what appears to be work happening on her decks.

Can you tell me what I’m looking at?

Basically thats the Wshes Floating Engine Room Unit. They brought it up the end of last month from Neptun Werft where it was manufactured. After its arrival, they brought Oddessey out, and put the aft section of Cosma in the drydock to mate with its bow, and then moved the Wishes FERU to where it is now, and they are doing work on it. Hard to tell exactly what they are doing, but some of those white tents werent there when it was transported.

Ok ladies and gents. The Wishes FERU is now inside Hall 6 behind AidaCosma. They are moving right along with her. And credit goes to Insel Video and EMS-Dollart Media for the different videos. And yes, the yard tugs managed to put a hole in her side when they hit the seawall.

Last edited:

Ok ladies and gents. The Wishes FERU is now inside Hall 6 behind AidaCosma. They are moving right along with her. And credit goes to Insel Video and EMS-Dollart Media for the different videos. And yes, the yard tugs managed to put a hole in her side when they hit the seawall.

Now we just need some more announcements from Disney!

. And yes, the yard tugs managed to put a hole in her side when they hit the seawall.

That hole was there since the FERU had been delivered from Rostock. Through these holes later on the stabilizers will move out ! It is no damage.

That hole was there since the FERU had been delivered from Rostock. Through these holes later on the stabilizers will move out ! It is no damage.
Sorry Nope. Go to 2:00 exactly in the video. You can see where 1 plate is ripped and peeled back, 1 is missing and at least 2 others have been hit hard enough to distort them from their shape. There not far from coming loose. Thats a hard moving hit she took. You can see the rub marks also in the video where she rubbed before peeling. Screenshot (2).png

Sorry Nope. Go to 2:00 exactly in the video. You can see where 1 plate is ripped and peeled back, 1 is missing and at least 2 others have been hit hard enough to distort them from their shape. There not far from coming loose. Thats a hard moving hit she took. You can see the rub marks also in the video where she rubbed before peeling. View attachment 543495
A lot of that sheet metal was ripped before the FERU got to Meyer Werft, there's a video from EMS-Dollart that shows it, this is a screen cap of that video that shows a lot of the damage already done. Caphpuhpture.JPG

A lot of that sheet metal was ripped before the FERU got to Meyer Werft, there's a video from EMS-Dollart that shows it, this is a screen cap of that video that shows a lot of the damage already done. View attachment 543513
The tugs ran her into a sea wall somewhere or other obstacle. Those tugs had a hard time holding her steady in the yard and I'm not surprised that she was damaged at some point during her transit. She has a large ding on what will be her port side just under the taller section. Shes hit seawall and something else more then once. She hit the seawall and hall 6 areas 3 times I could see when they put her in the drydock.

The tugs ran her into a sea wall somewhere or other obstacle. Those tugs had a hard time holding her steady in the yard and I'm not surprised that she was damaged at some point during her transit. She has a large ding on what will be her port side just under the taller section. Shes hit seawall and something else more then once. She hit the seawall and hall 6 areas 3 times I could see when they put her in the drydock.
Any bad luck to follow her with the damage?

Any bad luck to follow her with the damage?
Most likely. So far they havent done or at least publicized her first steel, the pandemic is slowing her construction down, and now she apparently contacts just about everything she comes near. I'd say somewhere between the Wonder and the Fantasy.

Most likely. So far they havent done or at least publicized her first steel, the pandemic is slowing her construction down, and now she apparently contacts just about everything she comes near. I'd say somewhere between the Wonder and the Fantasy.

Dare I ask..? :oops:

Dare I ask..? :oops:

Sure. When ships are built theres certain things that are very strong in tradition and if things dont go just right, sailors believe the ship could be cursed or has bad luck For example, breaking a bottle of champagne over the bow of a ship, during a christening is considered good luck. During WWII, the ships were getting bigger by the day and when the USS Yorktown CV 10 (the now museum ship in Charleston SC) was launched, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt was the ships sponsor breaking the champagne bottle. The Yorktown was so heavy, that she actually over rode the triggers that were holding her in place,(about 7 minutes earlier then planned) before Mrs Roosevelt had a chance to swing the bottle. She realized what was happening as the crew looked on, and threw the champagne bottle. And it bounced back at her. Luckily she caught it and swang it again and this time it broke before Yorktown slid into the water The crew actually sighed in relief as they believed that had she not broken the bottle the ship would have been cursed with bad luck.

Theres a few other maritime traditions like the keel coins, which are supposed to bring the ships good luck.

So, looking at Disneys fleet, the Wonder seems to have the least amount problems, may even be tied with the Dream. Fantasy, at least for the last few years, has been plagued by propulsion issues. When the Fantasy was built, someone flooded several dozen cabins and caused about a million dollars worth of damage. Which some believe could be the cause of her issues.

The Wish, shes got a lot of issues on her own. First, shes been delayed by a reason or reasons as yet unknown. (Ironically enough Carnival Mardis Gras, which will make her home in PC also,, and is also lng was delayed almost the exact same amount of time.At the same time.) She went from Nov of 19 to March of 2020ish.Then the pandemic came, and delayed her even more. Then, no traditional first steel cutting, due to the pandemic. Now add in that the FERU seems to like making contact with anything near it, and you start to see that the ship seems to have a lot of bad luck following her. By my count she has made contact with a solid object at least 5 times. Now add in that there probably wont be a keel coin ceremony/keel laying and you can see where some one who is superstitious, or an older sailor/crew could say that bad luck will follow her.

Last edited:
Sure. When ships are built theres certain things that are very strong in tradition and if things dont go just right, sailors believe the ship could be cursed or has bad luck For example, breaking a bottle of champagne over the bow of a ship, during a christening is considered good luck. During WWII, the ships were getting bigger by the day and when the USS Yorktown CV 10 (the now museum ship in Charleston SC) was launched, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt was the ships sponsor breaking the champagne bottle. The Yorktown was so heavy, that she actually over rode the triggers that were holding her in place,(about 7 minutes earlier then planned) before Mrs Roosevelt had a chance to swing the bottle. She realized what was happening as the crew looked on, and threw the champagne bottle. And it bounced back at her. Luckily she caught it and swang it again and this time it broke before Yorktown slid into the water The crew actually sighed in relief as they believed that had she not broken the bottle the ship would have been cursed with bad luck.

Theres a few other maritime traditions like the keel coins, which are supposed to bring the ships good luck.

So, looking at Disneys fleet, the Wonder seems to have the least amount problems, may even be tied with the Dream. Fantasy, at least for the last few years, has been plagued by propulsion issues. When the Fantasy was built, someone flooded several dozen cabins and caused about a million dollars worth of damage. Which some believe could be the cause of her issues.

The Wish, shes got a lot of issues on her own. First, shes been delayed by a reason or reasons as yet unknown. (Ironically enough Carnival Mardis Gras, which will make her home in PC also,, and is also lng was delayed almost the exact same amount of time.At the same time.) She went from Nov of 19 to March of 2020ish.Then the pandemic came, and delayed her even more. Then, no traditional first steel cutting, due to the pandemic. Now add in that the FERU seems to like making contact with anything near it, and you start to see that the ship seems to have a lot of bad luck following her. By my count she has made contact with a solid object at least 5 times. Now add in that there probably wont be a keel coin ceremony/keel laying and you can see where some one who is superstitious, or an older sailor/crew could say that bad luck will follow her.

Thanks~!

Haha yeah, I know how superstitious sailors can be (who can blame them, its a dangerous profession and one of the oldest most storied jobs!) but hadn't heard about issues building the previous ships.

I'm sure the keel coin will end up on her, just with a more exclusive guest list (maybe just the workers themselves at this point..!)

Thanks~!

Haha yeah, I know how superstitious sailors can be (who can blame them, its a dangerous profession and one of the oldest most storied jobs!) but hadn't heard about issues building the previous ships.

I'm sure the keel coin will end up on her, just with a more exclusive guest list (maybe just the workers themselves at this point..!)

Scott at the blog actually pointed out Port Canaveal visit in Nov when it was rumored for the steel cutting. They then went on to Turku where the Mardis Gras is being built and all of a sudden both ships were delayed. Almost the same amount of time. At that time. There a little farther apart now.
These are from the Dreams Keel Laying.
The keel coins that Disney has been using, are basically laid onto 1 of the keel blocks, then the ceremonial block is lowered onto it, then raised. The coin is then usually put in the ship somewhere. On the Dream, hers is in Pub 687, in a glass case on the wall. I have a picture of it somewhere I have to find. Itll be interesting to see what DCL will do this time around.Kiellegung_D_Dream_2_web.JPGKiellegung_D_Dream_1_web.JPG
48934231.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry Nope. Go to 2:00 exactly in the video. You can see where 1 plate is ripped and peeled back, 1 is missing and at least 2 others have been hit hard enough to distort them from their shape. There not far from coming loose. Thats a hard moving hit she took. You can see the rub marks also in the video where she rubbed before peeling. View attachment 543495
Truck1, sorry but maybe consider a little more research and knowledge before you post? Yes, the protection appears to be damaged and 1 piece missing, probably from rubbing on a protrusion when the unit passed a narrow point. A tug would never have pushed here. The visible part of the stabilizer appear to have no dents so the protective steel looks to have done the intended job during the transfer.
1. Before any prefab is shipped by ocean all openings and areas of possible ingress of water is protected. The steel is welded to the unit in exposed areas to protect the prefab unit from damage while underway.
2. Completed sea chest will have the interior pipes blinded, but otherwise left as-is. If the suction area of the sea chest is not completed a protective steel plate will be welded in place.
3. The area which you are pointing out is another protected area which was prepped for transport. You are looking the housing for the stabilizer and part of the stabilizer is visible. For a size ship like the Disney Wish this pocket is probably about 35-38 feet long. Steel plates are clearly visible tack welded on top and bottom to protect the installed stabilizer. Once the prefab reach the destination the temporary steel plates you see in the screen shot will be removed. The opening will be completed and most likely a final coaming will be welded in place on the inside edge to strengthen the steel in this very large open pocket in the shipside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter