New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Here is how I think the Asian dabble may happen.

An example trial (in 3 above) incl. the parks could be:
1. Honolulu to Tokyo (with stops in the Hawaiian islands) in 10 or 11 days
2. Tokyo, Shanghai, and Hong Kong (hitting the parks) in 7 days
3. Reverse #2
4. Reverse #1

Less risky as well. You don't need to rely a whole lot on Asian customers to fill the ship. Plenty of current cruisers who want to hit the parks and /or combine Hawaii with something different.

And quite a bit more color can be added to the itineraries if spending the whole winter in Asia/Pacific/Australia!

I can definitely see something like this happening.

I would be be highly interested in a cruise that touched all three Asian Disney parks with origination and debarkation at Hong Kong and Tokyo. It will not happen before we do it on our own via flights though.

Here are my safe predictions for the new deployment come 2022

Magic: Europe Summers and New York Winters

Wonder: Galveston Winters and Alaska/Mexico Summers

Dream: Canaveral Winters (4s/5s, and Summer Deployment (Europe?)

Fantasy: Miami Winters (4's/5's), and Summer Deployment (San Juan?)

2021 ship: Year Round Canaveral (3's/4's)
2022 ship: Year Round Canaveral (7's)
2023 ship: Year Round Miami (7's)

Oh! Also, predictions for names:
Disney Enchantment, Disney Adventure, and Disney Imagination

Disney cruise by 2023

Magic: Barcelona, Dover, New York, and Port Canaveral

Wonder: Vancouver, San Diego, Galveston or New Orleans, Miami

Dream: Port Canaveral, Miami, New Orleans

Fantasy: Port Canaveral, Miami, New York

6: Port Canaveral, New York

7: New York, Miami

8: Port Canaveral

Iten

Magic: Mediterranean, Northern Europe, Transatlantic, Caribbean (E+S), Bahamas, Bermuda, Bahamas/FL, Canada/New England.

Wonder: Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal, west coast, Caribbean(E+W), Bahamas.

Dream: Bahamas, Caribbean(E+w+s)

Fantasy: Bahamas, Caribbean(E+W+S), Bermuda,

5: Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean(e)

6: Bermuda, Caribbean(s)

7: Caribbean(E+W+S)

New Ship Names

5: Imagination

6: Enchantment

7: Adventure

Disney cruise by 2023

Magic: Barcelona, Dover, New York, and Port Canaveral

Wonder: Vancouver, San Diego, Galveston or New Orleans, Miami

Dream: Port Canaveral, Miami, New Orleans

Fantasy: Port Canaveral, Miami, New York

6: Port Canaveral, New York

7: New York, Miami

8: Port Canaveral

I am not saying you are wrong, but I will be so disappointed if they don’t go out of the Caribbean, Europe and the US.

Last edited:

I'm not getting political but anything China has to take in to account the devolving relations climate between the US and the Mainland China.

The Disney company, fortunately, has a pretty good working relationship with the Chinese government, having just built a park in mainland China.

The political climate of the day does however seem to affect how long visas are issued for U.S. citizens. China had recently been issuing them for as long as 10 years but have recently gotten shorter. The good news for a cruise is that they allow a “transit visa” to be issued for up to 72 hours on arrival to mainland China, as long as you have documented proof that you have a departing flight or cruise within that time frame.

It’s 2900 km from Tokyo to Hong Kong as the crow flies. It’s 1900 km from Canaveral to San Juan, for example. So that would be a long distance to cover.

Here are my safe predictions for the new deployment come 2022

Magic: Europe Summers and New York Winters

Wonder: Galveston Winters and Alaska/Mexico Summers

Dream: Canaveral Winters (4s/5s, and Summer Deployment (Europe?)

Fantasy: Miami Winters (4's/5's), and Summer Deployment (San Juan?)

2021 ship: Year Round Canaveral (3's/4's)
2022 ship: Year Round Canaveral (7's)
2023 ship: Year Round Miami (7's)

Oh! Also, predictions for names:
Disney Enchantment, Disney Adventure, and Disney Imagination

The full time port agreement announcement with Miami mentioned they planned to run a 4-5-5 schedule for the full time ship there. Also they may run the dream or fantasy year round out of Miami in that slot until the 3rd ship is delivered

Here is how I think the Asian dabble may happen.
1. Before any new ship is in, Wonder does summers in Alaska, shoulder season in Hawaii and California, and winters in the Caribbeans.
2. Before the first ship shows up, invest in the Hawaiian itinerary - just like with Panama Canal. Repeat cruisers, "graduate" cruisers if you may, and a higher mix of adults and those looking for different experiences. (Aulani expansion follows.)
3. Once the first ship shows up, flip the Hawaiian itinerary to other side (as well) and hit either Australia/NZ or the Disney parks in Asia in late fall/early winter. This would be a "trial" just as Hawaii was this year. Again, target market would be those who filled the Hawaiian itineraries.
4. If there is any success, continue with it part-time (incl. full winter) until the second and the third ships show up.
5. With 7 ships, more time can be spent in Asia - incl. one ship going possibly full-time. Or one ship can do what the Cunard's Queens do in the winters - a world (or Asia) cruise in small segments.

An example trial (in 3 above) incl. the parks could be:
1. Honolulu to Tokyo (with stops in the Hawaiian islands) in 10 or 11 days
2. Tokyo, Shanghai, and Hong Kong (hitting the parks) in 7 days
3. Reverse #2
4. Reverse #1

Less risky as well. You don't need to rely a whole lot on Asian customers to fill the ship. Plenty of current cruisers who want to hit the parks and /or combine Hawaii with something different.

And quite a bit more color can be added to the itineraries if spending the whole winter in Asia/Pacific/Australia!

I think one of the problems with your proposal is that China and Japan have cold falls/winters (30s ans 40s). While DCL sometimes sails out of cold weather ports (NYC) they sail to warmer weather, and they do Alaska but in the summer when day temps are 50s and 60s. I guess it’s not impossible, but I’d be surprised if they did cruises in winter weather.

I think it would be more likely that they’d have a few speciality cruises (like Hawaii, Iceland, or Northern Europe in the past) that visited Asia rather than spending whole seasons there until they could have a ship there for the summer season.

It’s 2900 km from Tokyo to Hong Kong as the crow flies. It’s 1900 km from Canaveral to San Juan, for example. So that would be a long distance to cover.

As someone else suggested, they would likely do Tokyo to Hong Kong and Hong Kong to Tokyo one-way cruises. Other cruise lines do this in 7-10 days with stops in Taipei, Shanghai, Osaka, and other ports.

I think one of the problems with your proposal is that China and Japan have cold falls/winters (30s ans 40s). While DCL sometimes sails out of cold weather ports (NYC) they sail to warmer weather, and they do Alaska but in the summer when day temps are 50s and 60s. I guess it’s not impossible, but I’d be surprised if they did cruises in winter weather.

I think it would be more likely that they’d have a few speciality cruises (like Hawaii, Iceland, or Northern Europe in the past) that visited Asia rather than spending whole seasons there until they could have a ship there for the summer season.

They could hit them in the shoulder seasons before and after Alaska and spend winter in South Pacific/Australia

They could hit them in the shoulder seasons before and after Alaska and spend winter in South Pacific/Australia

I was thinking the same thing.

There are Princess ships that spend time doing the Mexico/Alaska runs and then do some spectacular cruises to/from the west coast & Asia or Australia a few times a year.

Do you think Disney might use one of their new ships in the Asian market, doing a sailing that hits up all the parks. So you could go to them like when Disney docks at PC and the ticket is included? I'd love to do this and it'll probably be the only way I get to see them all.
I don’t see it happening. Norwegian built a brand new amazing ship, Joy, for the Chinese market, less than 2 years ago. It has failed miserably and they are doing a $50,000,000 renovation on her to get her re-Americanized so they can bring her to Alaska to join her sister, Bliss. I would think seeing that would really make Disney think twice about it.

I don’t see it happening. Norwegian built a brand new amazing ship, Joy, for the Chinese market, less than 2 years ago. It has failed miserably and they are doing a $50,000,000 renovation on her to get her re-Americanized so they can bring her to Alaska to join her sister, Bliss. I would think seeing that would really make Disney think twice about it.

That plus more than one time when there were itinerary changes due to safety because of weather systems and/or fog and the Chinese guests refused to leave the ships because they "didn't get the scheduled trip".

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...ourists-stage-another-noisy-patriotic-protest

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/...y-removed-royal-caribbean-quantum-of-the-seas

And there are other examples.

Asia is a very different market - and they have very definite ideas as to what they want - even when they are not in their country. I know in Italy this summer while I was on a couple of walking tours, we encountered large groups - and our tour guide told us that it was a very interesting dynamic because they wanted to do the tours and get the front of line privileges...but THEIR people had to be 100% in charge. However, Rome requires licensed Italian guides on tours. So the Asian tours were hiring an Italian guide simply to walk along with them - not allowed to say anything.

I don't see Disney letting them have that much control over things on a ship - or risking essentially having it taken over by people who refuse to leave because something was done for their safety.

A ship doesn't fail in a year. It's the NCL stock that has languished over the last year. Every other analyst wants the company to bring anything it can find to Alaska. If Joy was somewhere else, it would still be re-assigned.

Alaska and Northern Europe are where the big margins are. NCL has only three ships in Alaska - now incl. Joy. Of the three, Jewel heads over to Asia anyways after the summer.

The "failure" of a cruise ship to make it in the Asian market doesn't mean that Disney would also fail. There are several cruise lines/ships that do operate successfully in the Asian market. Some of those same ships also cruise the south Pacific and Alaska during the year without difficulty.

I think it failed because it was built for only Chinese to enjoy. I think if Disney still made the ship appeal to Americans and it just was sailing over there it would do well. The Joy was made completely different from how American's like to sail, which is why they are gutting it now. If they had designed it like the Bliss and encouraged others to sail it besides the Chinese I don't think they would have had this problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter