New Disney park in Branson?

Has anybody tried to see if Disney in fact owns the land by doing research at the local county office?? I know this can be done through the "Assesors office".

By the way if this is true, my son's name is Branson! We have named all our kids after cities. We have said that when they are older we would take them to the city they are named after!! Wouldn't that be fun!! Disney in Branson!!! :goodvibes

Well the county commissioner quoted in the article says the land purchase agreements for 40% of the 1000 acres .. have been "secured.." BUT, he does NOT say the land was purchased yet.

Subtle difference.

Personally I think its all "bunk". :)

Knox

I use to think that as well untill you can find pictures of the DVC at the CR all over the net. All it takes is one idiot and we know they have plenty.

Except nobody knows for sure if those pictures are real. They could be 'projections' from some idealistic DVC proponent. We just don't know.

The only think we know for sure is that the building will have a "C" shape because that's the design submitted to the FL state gov't offices etc. The exact and final design is not clear at all.

Disney has issued 'mis-information' before to throw folks off the scent. Frankly - I don't believe this is disney because they would never send someone to a county commissioners meeting until the land was 100% secure.

I just don't believe they are THAT stupid.

Knox

There are rumors about Disney buying land all over the country all of the time. About two years after we moved into our hourse, there was a rumor that Disney bought a ton of land about 11 miles south of us. It was on the early morning St. Louis news and everything.

All I could think was, yeah right.

I doubt it's true. But, it would be neat if it was!

I agree with the overall sentiment that this is awfully suspicious, but at the same time, we can't be positive about what is really going on.

It's odd that Disney would go thorugh so much trouble to keep possible expansion plans in Anaheim a secret, yet be so careless about something like this.

Beyond that...

6 hotels for one "small" theme park seems a bit excessive. Overbuilding of hotels was the single biggest contributor to EuroDisney's problems.

Then again, 27 rides and 12 stages would give the park more attractions than DCA, MGM, AK, and Epcot. So it doesn't exactly sound like a small or boutique park.

95 shops and 18 restaurants is a lot of retail, but I suppose that could include some kind of DTD district as well.

Disney would do a better job of keeping it under wraps.

I use to think that as well untill you can find pictures of the DVC at the CR all over the net. All it takes is one idiot and we know they have plenty.

I know what DVC is, but what is CR?

Sorry Contemporary Resort. I can't remember the dates I think last summer. Someone did a search on DVC and pictures from a design firm popped up for DVC CR. As word spread the pictures were pulled but enough were saved that you can find them everywhere. Checkout screamscape.com they have the orginal pictures as well others "ideas".

Ahh......The Contemporary. I should have know, now it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Personally, I can't see Disney opening another theme park in the United States, especially not in Middle America. The weather just isn't condusive to a major tourist destination on par with WDW/DL. Think of all the walking and time out in the elements that is involved in visiting WDW or DL or even UO/IOA - Would you be up for that in Febuary in Missouri? We go to WDW t get away from that kind of weather! Unless Disney has come up with a new idea that would take theme parks indoors (and I suppose that is possible... if anyone can do it, it'd be the Imagineers :) ), I don't think that Branson is a likely option for a potential new park.

I remember a similar rumor located in PA in the mid-1990's about Disney purchasing land. It was in the news and papers but then nothing again:confused3

Well, they were going to build Disney's America theme park but that was in Virginia not PA

Dollywood here is in a similar climate as Branson. Open year round but on a very limited basis in the winter months. I can't imagine Disney would open something that would be so weather-limited. Could you imagine Spring Breakers in the frequent 30/40 degree cold snaps? Someone should chalk this up as "Urban Legend." By the way, on sites dedicated to bunking such rumors, Disney usually has its own category of such lore.

Dollywood here is in a similar climate as Branson. Open year round but on a very limited basis in the winter months. I can't imagine Disney would open something that would be so weather-limited. Could you imagine Spring Breakers in the frequent 30/40 degree cold snaps? Someone should chalk this up as "Urban Legend." By the way, on sites dedicated to bunking such rumors, Disney usually has its own category of such lore.

I agree... I'm not holding my breath about this one.. If ANYTHING it's probably just some resort hotels..

I don't think Disney would be roused up for building anymore huge themepark deals RIGHT AFTER building DLHK.:rolleyes1

In the 2006 Annual report Disney released a piece of concept art for a "urban entertainment center" - not sure what that means - but this could be part of that?

Who knows!?

Just wait and see.

Seems like KC is quite the vacation destination of the future.

Schlitterbahn, the local Texas water park consistantly rated #1 in the US is building an entire resort there.

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/corp/media/vacation-village-factsheet.asp

I can tell you folks living up there are in for a treat.

Before Kansas Speedway, there was NOTHING out there in Kansas City, Kansas and you sure wouldn't have wanted to go hang out there. Now they have Village West and minor league baseball field and apparently are doing more. Your post is the first I had heard about the water part. But from the description it's going to be out there with all the other stuff.

Here in the Chicago area the zoos are open 12 months a year, animals are just moved indoors.. Make adjustments to the attractions (more indoor) and it can be done. Still seems like a longshot.

As several people commented - it was some sort of hoax, probably to drive up land values... how sad!

Rumored Disney park 'shenanigans'

Kathryn Buckstaff
News-Leader

Neosho — People in rural Newton County will have to forget, at least for now, the prospect of selling their land for big bucks to the Walt Disney Co.

After rumors flew last week that Disney was planning to build a $1.1 billion theme park in the area, Presiding Commissioner Jerry Carter got the word Monday that, as he put it, it's "shenanigans."

Modern Bath Solutions
"I just talked to the vice president of public affairs for Disney, and she said there's nothing to it," Carter said.

Carter said Disney officials didn't recognize the names of any of the three owners of ARM Risk, the company supposedly working to assemble the 1,000 acres of land.

"(Disney) can say absolutely that they're not involved in Newton County or in southwest Missouri," Carter said.

Two weeks ago, Todd Marshall, who said he represented ARM Risk, attended a Board of Commissioners meeting to ask about making changes to rural roads leading to the site of a planned theme park. Marshall did not identify who would develop such a park. But when commissioners checked addresses on ARM Risk's registration with the Missouri Secretary of State's office, two of the three addresses were those of Disney corporate headquarters in Burbank, Calif., and Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

Also, the business address listed on the registration form is 1826 S. Glenstone Ave., Springfield, Suite 353. That address is the site of a UPS store with a mailbox numbered 353.

Win $1,000 in new furniture
And lending an odd touch, the name of one of the company's owners is registered as Robert Brown. While it may be a common name, it also is the name of the deceased first husband of Walt Disney's daughter, Sharon Disney. That Robert Brown died in 1967.

Carter said he's perplexed by the events.

"It's amazing the number of people who have called with the thought of their land going up in value. We're calling the attorney general's office."

Robert Fougere, press secretary for the Missouri Attorney General's office, said he couldn't yet say whether the events will come under scrutiny by that office.

"We certainly would be interested to hear if someone has complaints," Fougere said.

While Marshall gave commissioners a toll-free number, repeated calls yielded a busy signal. Also, e-mail to the address he gave commissioners was not returned.

"It doesn't smell right," said Steve Critchfield, a commercial real estate broker in Branson. If Disney were seeking property, "they would never be this public if they didn't control all the land they needed."

"It would happen before we'd hear anything about it," Critchfield said.

Despite rumors, there's never been any sign of Disney interest in the Branson area, he said.

Jim Hill, a New Hampshire resident, has been writing about Disney for 25 years. He makes his living from his Disney-related Web site.

"It's a cruel prank," he said. "The history of the Disney Company is that they're incredibly careful about this stuff."

According to a timeline of the Disney Co., in 1964, Disney attorney Robert Foster began to purchase land in Florida. To keep his identity secret, he used an assumed name. Among the property was 12,400 acres owned by three Orlando home builders that he bought for $145 an acre.

However, Disney officials have begun exploring expansion by building stand-alone Disney-branded businesses such as resort hotels and water parks because travelers go to major theme parks only once every four years, according to minutes of a report by Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

In February, Rasulo said Disney is thinking about developing themed hotels that could be built in large cities that already are tourist draws. Disney also is contemplating "niche theme parks" and water parks in other cities, Rasulo said.

"Our relationships with millions of families will enable us to expand to new businesses and new markets," Rasulo said. "We will never stop dreaming."

"The irony is that Branson would probably be great turf for Disney," Hill said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter