New compressor

Sjm9911

DIS Veteran
Ok, so in case i need air on the road. I used to carry a filled 6 gallon compresser with me, it would maybe add some air if needed. But , i wanted more stabillity in case i needed it. The dc cigarette compressers are mostly junk. And dont have power. The vailair ones are good but $$$. So, i figured since i had a 110 plug in the truck, small wattage as it may be, i could do better. So , i went and got a 3 gallon harbor freight compresser with the smallest amp draw i could find. So, for 50 bucks on clearance, it rund fine off the built-in 110 plug on the puvk up truck. It brought a camper tire from 5 lbs to 40 in 30 seconds, i let the compresser build back up and it took the tire to 65 psi. Im sure it could do the truck tires to 80 or so if i needed it to. Also, will double as a rug/awning/ slide out cleaner if needed. And i can blow out my campers water lines on the road. Its small, but seems to have enough power for its use. Just posting in case any ever thought they couldn't have a smaller compresser in there truck. I did try the bigger 6 gallon one, it wouldn't even turn the piston once.

That looks like the one Arnold bought & we actually helped a neighbor air up the tires on their camper when they were getting ready to take a trip to NY. I don't think he used it before then. Still in the store bin.

That one is not bad. I wanted something that could get to 110psi. I invested in the Dewalt cordless inflator. It works pretty well and use it all the time to adjust air in the truck or trailer. Not the fastest but on a 4ah battery I was able to add about 10psi to all 6 tires before I ran out of juice.

I've been struggling with being able to add air to my tires for years now. I have a Porter Cable 6 gal compressor and it gets me close, but it takes forever, especially for the steer tires. I finally broke down and bought a widget that doubles the air pressure from the onboard compressor. It's supposed to fill the tires up to the 130psi I need in a couple of minutes. I tried it yesterday but I don't have the correct chuck. I'll get an adapter for my hose and see if it works as advertised.

Last edited:
See you rv guys have a generator, i dont. Lol. I have to watch my draw. My 6 gallon porta cable isnt as fast as this one. My porta cable is probably 24 years old, and sometimes needs a attitude adjustment with the wack with a hammer to get working. But , isnt that like all of us at that age?

I've carried my 3 gallon compressor from WM with me from day one. I always make sure it's topped off before hitting the road each trip.

I keep a tire plug kit with me too.

Thanks for this !
Went down to our local HF , and picked up one of these . Great , small and fairly lightweight portable compressor . Relatively quiet as well . Good deal for $50. !

Last edited:
At the beginning of the season, I was just browsing on Amazon. I found a really kicking unit for my needs. It's a alligator clamp style power delivery air compressor. It free flows at 6 CFM. Even at pressure it just works. I did my truck tires (275/70R18s) basically a 33.2 inch tall tire. From 15 PSI to 65 PSI. 4 Minutes! Wicked fast. Trailer tires. Quick ups in less than a minute. The unit has a 8 foot power cord. 25 feet of air line. I modified it to accept American style NPT fittings. So I use the metric coupler on the pump. The NPT coupler on the tool end. Also this allows me to add 25 more feet of air line if needed if the truck and trailer are hooked up on the road. Works awesome. The digital filler is nice as well. Bright LCD display with large numbers. Very accurate from what I have seen. For 30 bucks you cannot go wrong.

Unfortunately, I was going to get another of these air compressors but they were sold out with no restock listed. Bummer. It was basically like a more expensive Viaair without the price tag. I think on paper specs it actually beat the Viair unit and was near spec of a ARB pumps which are super popular with the off road crowds. The thing that been the thing has a CO2 filling rig. 15 CU tanks were gets around 12-14 tire fills. You can build the rig for under 200 with the right parts. You can get refills at beverage suppliers or welding suppliers for 10 bucks or so a tank. Apparently that is pretty popular Off road community. Years ago I used a scuba tank with a special testing regular built by Palmer's Pursuit out of California. It could had 3000 PSI input and regulate down to 0-900 PSI Max. I did a few tires with it. However, The tanks I have are old and not worth the time to have them recertified. My buddy had 4,500 PSi compressor for filling our paintball tanks back in the day. I use to perform a slow fill of the tanks off the bulk tanks that we had regulated down to 3,000 for the steelies and old carbon fiber tanks with 3K regs. It would tank about 8 minutes to fill the tanks since I would not do a fast dump fill that is the normal on the smaller tanks. I basically slow filled the tanks. Then on the weekends at my other friend's farm, we would screw around in the field and woods shooting each other. I would bring my tanks up as back ups so if anyone ran out of air, I could refill their tanks at the farm.

So, the air doubler worked as advertised. I was able to go from around 120 in the steer tires to 130 in less than two minutes. I did the other six in no time. The pressures varied but the widget worked. Takes up less room in the bay than the pancake compressor.

GA WDW Fan,

I have one exactly like it. I had it in the old 5er and it's in the coach now. Mostly in case the trailer needs something, but it should work for the coach too. I have used it more on other people's cars than my own (campgrounds, rest areas, neighbors), but I did break a stem on my old dually when I was driving up to Corolla on the OBX and used it to air up the spare.

j

GA WDW Fan,

I have one exactly like it. I had it in the old 5er and it's in the coach now. Mostly in case the trailer needs something, but it should work for the coach too. I have used it more on other people's cars than my own (campgrounds, rest areas, neighbors), but I did break a stem on my old dually when I was driving up to Corolla on the OBX and used it to air up the spare.

j
Test it on your coach Jim. I'd be interested in knowing if it works. My pancake was 150psi and it just couldn't do it. I bought a VIA AIR 450. It was supposed to work on RV''s but it couldn't handle it either. I gave it to my daughter.

Test it on your coach Jim. I'd be interested in knowing if it works.
I'll give it a shot. Coach is under cover for 6 more weeks. My tires only go to 110 on the front and 100 on the rears though. It got my F350 up to 80 without any problems.

j

Even with a shop compressor anything over 100 on a truck tire takes some time. We used to have to top off the 22.5's whenever a truck came in for maintenance since most of the stations didnt have a compressor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter