Netflix

We cut out cable three years ago. We have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, WWE Network and HBO Now. All of that is less than half of what we spent on our cable (with HBO and DVR). We also have a digital antenna which allows us to get local channels so we can watch football.

We are very lucky to live in a city where cable and internet are treated like utilities. Sure, I could have big vendors like Comcast if I wanted, but I stick with a local company for internet only.

We cut out cable three years ago. We have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, WWE Network and HBO Now. All of that is less than half of what we spent on our cable (with HBO and DVR). We also have a digital antenna which allows us to get local channels so we can watch football.

We are very lucky to live in a city where cable and internet are treated like utilities. Sure, I could have big vendors like Comcast if I wanted, but I stick with a local company for internet only.

Hi. I was just talking about this thread to my dh last night. What is a digital antenna and approximately how much does a good one cost.
If we got rid of cable, could we still watch HBO and Showtime (my dh's questions). He wanted to know about local TV so the digital antenna answers those questions.
Do I need to purchase a "Smart TV" or can I purchase Apple TV (does that connect onto the TV?).
Just want to get an idea of all this information. We spend A LOT of money on cable and we live in NY and own our own home. We would need four TVs hooked up (we currently have five hooked up with cable since I use the TV in the basement for when I run on the treadmill but would do without that if it was a big difference).

Thank you.

Hi. I was just talking about this thread to my dh last night. What is a digital antenna and approximately how much does a good one cost.
If we got rid of cable, could we still watch HBO and Showtime (my dh's questions). He wanted to know about local TV so the digital antenna answers those questions.
Do I need to purchase a "Smart TV" or can I purchase Apple TV (does that connect onto the TV?).
Just want to get an idea of all this information. We spend A LOT of money on cable and we live in NY and own our own home. We would need four TVs hooked up (we currently have five hooked up with cable since I use the TV in the basement for when I run on the treadmill but would do without that if it was a big difference).

Thank you.
Our digital antenna was about $40. We use a Roku 3, from which we can watch all our paid streaming channels (we don't get showtime, but it is available if we did). An Amazon Fire stick (which my sister and SIL both have) does the same. Apple TV would accomplish the same thing as a Roku (or Amazon Fire Stick). We only have one TV, but I can stream all my stuff on my phone, tablet, laptop and desktop. Many Blu-Ray players also have similar streaming capabilities. Since you have so many TVs, maybe a combo of devices would work better for you? Fire sticks where you don't watch as much TV but Apple TV or a Roku plus digital antenna for your main tv?

Our digital antenna was about $40. We use a Roku 3, from which we can watch all our paid streaming channels (we don't get showtime, but it is available if we did). An Amazon Fire stick (which my sister and SIL both have) does the same. Apple TV would accomplish the same thing as a Roku (or Amazon Fire Stick). We only have one TV, but I can stream all my stuff on my phone, tablet, laptop and desktop. Many Blu-Ray players also have similar streaming capabilities. Since you have so many TVs, maybe a combo of devices would work better for you? Fire sticks where you don't watch as much TV but Apple TV or a Roku plus digital antenna for your main tv?

Thank you.
I am going to print out your response so he can start investigating.

Like many posters here, we love our netflix and use it in lieu of cable. We have a digital antennae for free basic channels. We have a Roku in the bedroom and a PS3 in the living room, both of which allow us to watch netflix, youtube, internet things, etc.

Thinking about getting Netflix...want to watch Orange is the New Black and maybe Fuller House...does anyone have and thinks it's worth it?

give it a try...what have you got to lose? It's inexpensive, you don't need to buy any special equipment, and if you decide it's not worth it to you, you can just cancel it at the end of them month.

A little off topic, but I think Wentworth is much better then Orange is the new black.

Try out Kodi (XBMC)
Agreed.... I see 3 seasons of Orange and 1 season of Fuller House after a search.

While slightly harder to use.... you don't need to pay monthly fees.

Kodi and Android TV versions are growing choices for cable cutters.

Last edited:
We also cut the cord with cable. We have FireSticks for each TV (3), which allows us to watch Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. I also download apps to it, like PBS, to binge watch other shows. We have a digital antenna on each TV as well. Although the signal is sometimes spotty, it works well.

We find we actually watch MORE TV since getting rid of cable! We were hesitant to make the jump for months, and now I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

We also cut the cord with cable. We have FireSticks for each TV (3), which allows us to watch Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu. I also download apps to it, like PBS, to binge watch other shows. We have a digital antenna on each TV as well. Although the signal is sometimes spotty, it works well.

We find we actually watch MORE TV since getting rid of cable! We were hesitant to make the jump for months, and now I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.
Put Kodi on those firesticks

No, it's not worth it IMO, but we already have cable with a zillion channels so I'm not sure why I'd want to pay even more when there is plenty to watch. Of course I also have a really bad taste in my mouth about them after we used our 30 day free trial and it took multiple attempts to cancel and we ended up paying for months we didn't use even after they assured me they would refund it.

Wow, I didn't know so many people had ditched cable! We still have it and Netfix. (In fact, we've had Netflx so long that for a while we were grandfathered in with a really old DVD plan they didn't offer anymore.) Now, DH and DS mostly use it on their XBOXs to stream shows.

I'm looking forward to watching Fuller House on it, but haven't started it yet because I'm still catching up on a backlog of "Ed" in my DVR. I never saw it when it originally ran, but Up has been showing two episodes a day, and I went on vacation, so I think I have nearly 20 in there. I'm enjoying it, though.

I started my free trial a few days ago so I could watch Fuller House, and I'm enjoying the different selections so far. Going to try Hulu next. If they both meet my needs, I'm going to change my Verizon package to Internet only. it would save me a bit on my monthly bill.

When I cut my cable and switched to Internet only, the installer informed me that about 1/3 of his installs were for Internet only now. Many families are cutting cable and going the Netflix, Hulu, prime route. We are saving over $100 month by cutting cable. He informed me that it is mostly the older generation keeping cable now.

Last edited:

Thank you.
First, there is no such thing as a "digital" antenna. The antenna doesn't care if it's receiving digital or analog signals. If you have an antenna from the 1950s, it would work today.
Second, your TVs would need to be able to receive ATSC signals. If your TVs were purchased in the last 7-8 years or so, that shouldn't be a problem. If they're a flat screen 16x9, it shouldn't be a problem. If you have an old 4x3 tube TV, that's a problem and would require a converter box.
Third, the cost of one would depend on your location compared to the broadcast towers serving your market. Start here or here. Put in your address and you'll get a list of TV stations you should be able to receive, how far away they are, what direction, and how strong an antenna you need. Some people can use "rabbit ear" antennas at the back of their TV, others need a 60' tower outside their homes.
A "smart TV" does the same thing (basically) as a Roku, Apple TV, Xbox, or Playstation. If you need to replace a TV for another reason, I'd get a "smart one", but there are other options if your TVs don't need replaced yet.

ETA: Antennas will be marketed as "digital", but that's all it is, marketing.

Last edited:
I'm in my late 30s and I've never paid for cable. I do have Netflix and Amazon. I can get other movies and shows from the library if they aren't available on those services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter