Nervousness (month before trip)

bsmcneil

DIS Veteran
I don't know if this is normal pre-planning nervousness, covid/omricon-related, or all of the above. I'm traveling with two kids later this month and I'm feeling nervous and unprepared (and I've been to WDW a good 20 times). I have some ADRs planned (but the best ones have been hard to come by, of course). I have a general feeling for Genie+ but honestly with two kids who haven't really been before, I don't have a plan of attack. I thought we'd be going during a relatively light time but evidence appears to contradict that.

Is this anxiety normal for this stage? Is there really anything else I can do to plan? We're a pretty flexible group - so, rolling with the punches will be the name of the game. Any especially good tips for those couple of weeks that are immediately preceding a trip?

Uhm, I meant for this to be in the WDW with families thread, if a mod can move me over (I guess I had the window open in TPAS?). I guess either technically fit.

The feelings you have are 100% normal. Disney is so different than what it was in 2019. I definitely felt like a newbie walking into our first time back since the pandemic began.

We have such little data on the normal trends of Genie+. Even though we have used it a few times already, I’m still nervous about what I’m going to be able to book during my visit next weekend. There’s definitely a learning curve and I’m still trying to figure out how to optimize it so it works for my family. If you haven’t don’t much travel since the pandemic started, it can be really stressful at first.

I hope you can get excited about your trip. It’s a tough time to be traveling, with all of the changes and the pandemic, it feels like all best laid plans have been chucked out the window.

Last edited:
The difference for us is that we have no kids (probably for the best). We go by the seat of our pants. In the before time we'd make dining reservations, FP+, Dinner shows, Dessert parties. Instead of all that we have a few dining reservations for our February trip. The rest will be what we can get and experience while we are there.

I need to say I went one last time before the economies of the world totally collapse. Flights were nearly 800 each when normally they are 250-350. Supply lines getting bad, no people working anymore. Bad times coming friends. Better go while you can, we been sayin.

Glad I'm not the only one nervous about needing a new "game plan" for this visit (last trip was Nov'19). We are staying at WL next week, and I am scouring every post I can to glean some info on how best to navigate G+, ILL, restrictions and crowds. Sooo thankful for all the other Disney fans who shared their info and tips on how to balance maximizing with magical. May everyone's trip be memorable and marvelous!

I don't know if this is normal pre-planning nervousness, covid/omricon-related, or all of the above. I'm traveling with two kids later this month and I'm feeling nervous and unprepared (and I've been to WDW a good 20 times). I have some ADRs planned (but the best ones have been hard to come by, of course). I have a general feeling for Genie+ but honestly with two kids who haven't really been before, I don't have a plan of attack. I thought we'd be going during a relatively light time but evidence appears to contradict that.

Is this anxiety normal for this stage? Is there really anything else I can do to plan? We're a pretty flexible group - so, rolling with the punches will be the name of the game. Any especially good tips for those couple of weeks that are immediately preceding a trip?

I think if you're good at rolling with the punches, you will be totally fine

I hope you can get excited about your trip. It’s a tough time to be traveling, with all of the changes and the pandemic, it feels like all best laid plans have been chucked out the window.
I've enjoyed seeing your posts and remember (I think) that your last trip got interrupted or postponed, right? I definitely am excited but the kids aren't per se. Actually, my oldest (~9) just got excited this past weekend when they realized they could have unlimited Bacon and Waffles at the Boma buffet. They asked me to book it each day (I tried explaining the concept of The Mara and just gave up and promised to buy them as many waffles as they'd like). My youngest (5) literally said, "You talk too much about Disney World" 😆 . The oldest went when they were 2 ¾ (and have been to 2 amusement parks since then); but, the youngest has completely missed out, especially due to covid.

I think if you're good at rolling with the punches, you will be totally fine
Luckily, this is our MO (and I appreciated what another parent said somewhere - they don't know what they're missing yet)

I’m feeling the same. So much uncertainty surrounding this trip. Will the flight be a go with employees shortages? Will we get thru the next few weeks without covid striking? Will we get it there? Will it snow before the flight? I barely have wrapped my head around genie + even tho I’ve watched a few videos. Also 20 + trips under my belt and I have no plan for this one. That being said, we are happy to do whatever we can since we’ve done it before with the exception of the latest things. Also I haven’t bought tix yet because of all the uncertainties so I have no park ressies yet either. Definitely not the way I usually roll in to a Disney trip! Usually I have a flexible but solid plan but everything is feeling kinda new.
Enjoy your trip!!

We are here this week for the first time in several years. In past trips, I would have my days planned down to the minute. But this trip I wasn't able to do that and it did create some uneasy feelings leading up to the trip. I had ADR's, but not being able to book FP's like the old days, and with the limited info available on G+, I wasn't able to put together the plan that I would have liked. My biggest recommendation from what I have learned the first 3 days in the parks is to be flexible. G+ seems like it works pretty well, I feel like I have been able to get pretty good value out of it, but you need to be flexible in your attractions and the order you do them. If you are, then you could make it work pretty well for you. It will take a little trial and error, but I'm sure you will figure it out if you are used to planning from past trips. The jury is still out, so I'm not going to give it my blessing yet, but so far so good. And don't worry too much, just relax and enjoy the trip!

Keeping up with everyone's reports and all the news out of Disney, I'm super nervous and I'm not even thinking of booking a trip! Just the mere thought of it gives me anxiety and like you I've been down plenty pre 2019 and have always enjoyed the planning of it. Just gonna have to let it roll and say it's gonna be what it's gonna be and don't fight the current just swim with it. Have fun!

Look, the first time we took DD to Disney she was 2.5. It was pre-covid, we had grandparents in tow, all the fastpass+ reservations you could ask for, and it wasn't our first rodeo (although it was our first trip as parents). And I was still nervous. I think it's only natural, especially in light of all the recent changes, and the unknowns related to covid. For the record, that first trip with DD was AMAZING.

Now, I'm in the midst of planning our upcoming trip, and we've got two additional, VERY little kids (only one of which is ours but still...), more people in our travel party, a line-skipping system I am unfamiliar with and nervous about, uncertainties related to covid, and a few of our favorite restaurants and experiences are still closed. I am very much missing the security of fastpass+ because as I'm sure you know, lines with littles are not exactly the kind of vacation fun I'm looking for.

Am I nervous? YES. Absolutely I am nervous. But I also know that we're just going to roll with the punches and be flexible and have a great time. I will come prepared and with a good attitude, and try to give Genie+ a fair shot. If it works out for us, GREAT. I will be happy to book a return visit asap. If not, then we know going forward that we'll be laying off of Disney for awhile.

Could not agree with these posts more. At least with fast pass you went into the trip knowing what must do rides you were definitely going to do and when. Made planning ADRs easier too. Now it’s just a cross your fingers thing… oh yes and pay more lol.

I think I’m nervous about flying too a little. It’s our 7 year olds first flight and none of us have traveled since the pandemic. Luckily it should be only about a 2 hour plane ride.

Everything about this trip feels like it’s our first time.

Could not agree with these posts more. At least with fast pass you went into the trip knowing what must do rides you were definitely going to do and when. Made planning ADRs easier too. Now it’s just a cross your fingers thing… oh yes and pay more lol.

I think I’m nervous about flying too a little. It’s our 7 year olds first flight and none of us have traveled since the pandemic. Luckily it should be only about a 2 hour plane ride.

Everything about this trip feels like it’s our first time.
Yep. The flying/travel part feels especially true for my 5 year old (but not the 8 year old) ... until I start to think about all of their travel was pre-pandemic (to be honest, luckily I have traveled since then or else I'd feel really out of my element) and it's just amazing to think of the world of difference that occurred between 2020 and now.

But to WDW - definitely. The ADR point especially - it really is just sort of a fly by the seat of the pants thing (except for the things where we can't, like park reservations).

Yep. The flying/travel part feels especially true for my 5 year old (but not the 8 year old) ... until I start to think about all of their travel was pre-pandemic (to be honest, luckily I have traveled since then or else I'd feel really out of my element) and it's just amazing to think of the world of difference that occurred between 2020 and now.

But to WDW - definitely. The ADR point especially - it really is just sort of a fly by the seat of the pants thing (except for the things where we can't, like park reservations).
Yeah kids add an extra stress level. We went without ours on our last trip. 😁

Yeah kids add an extra stress level. We went without ours on our last trip. 😁
I did, too and it was a world of difference (it was also pre-Genie). For me, it was not quite on purpose - the plan was for them to go but I booked a non-refundable date when I couldn't take them so I used it anyway for part of the trip and then booked a second trip for the kids to go - but it actually made a huge difference. I realized that if I hadn't, I would've been woefully unprepared for actually taking the kids. Now, at least, I have some sense of what to expect (aside from Genie).

Good luck! I was feeling extremely nervous about this trip we did in December (my daughter was 6 had been when she was 4, cancelled a 2020 trip before she started kindergarten because of COVID). We had my two parents in tow in their mid 60s and my husband has asthma, so I had general nervousness about COVID with most of my party. We all got boosters and my daughter was luckily able to eek in both her shots before we left (second dose was week of the trip). Once I got there I was super nervous about Genie+, it was an expensive trip, I was so used to FP+ and I wanted everyone to have a great time. Unfortunately I had bought an AP for discounts on food/merch/future trips for 2022 and the rest of my family had Park Hopper tickets with Genie+ prebought. Due to some IT glitches their system CANNOT handle one person having an AP and the rest being on PH with prepurchased Genie+, so every single morning I had an issue buying Genie+ and we ended up losing out on a few rides because by the time I purchased it, the times for things like SDD were entirely gone. It caused me a fair bit of distress and I had a mommy meltdown one day after calling customer service for the 5th time during the trip to ask for help. BUT we all managed to have a great time in the parks, I managed to use Genie Plus successfully despite the morning glitches I had to tolerate daily, and felt like we got our money's worth most days (IMO there aren't enough Genie+ options in Epcot to totally make it worthwhile since Frozen and Remy were paid LL).
Even though I had some bad experiences with Genie+ for someone NOT in that situation, it's really not that hard. Make sure to get up at like 6:45 daily so you can purchase for your party, make sure you get into the app and click the park you want to be visiting for the day before 7 and click on the ride you want to reserve before 7 am, you can sticky it so it'll scroll back to that ride specifically by clicking on the LL logo on the app a few seconds before 7, and then you'll be good to go.
This certainly was a good trip despite all the changes, and I spent the entire time hobbling around with a cane due to a sprained ankle 8 days before we left! It's totally fine to be nervous, and with two kids you just have to let things happen as they can.
Hoping some great pixie dust gets sprinkled your way on this trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!