Nemesis Challenge:It's OK to Finish Next-To-Last, As Long As I Beat HIM/ Its Here!!!!

Hahaha oh I know! That's why I figured it would be perfectly okay here! :laughing:
:thumbsup2

(Although I am wondering how okay Barry would be about him being crowned the pun Queen, rather than King...:laughing: Baby-caused confusion?)
Oh, that wasn't a misprint and WAS intended. ::yes::

More effective motivation for Barry: Dole Whip or Fried Cheese? Discuss.
I would say fried cheese. Every time he sees a Dole whip from now on, he is going to know that he owes me Dole Whips for LIFE!!!!! :woohoo::woohoo: :woohoo::woohoo:

I'm in. Sounds like you guys are both going to have a fun year getting ready for this.

Hey Ryan!!! :welcome:

We are glad you are here to tell us where we've gone wrong. We already know that this challenge was a mistake but there is no going back now! :lmao::lmao:

:rolleyes1 I woke up this morning
Got myself a gun,
Mama always said I'd be
The Chosen One. :rolleyes1

Ok, well I didn't get a gun but I did want to shoot myself. Today was day #1. The start of my training. I woke up, fed the baby, and got Juliana ready for school. I hopped on the scale to see where I was starting..

IMAG0271.jpg

211. I must of lost some weight while I was sleeping. LOL I'm sure my weight fluctuates throughout the day but I wasn't feeling too bad about 211. After Juliana got on the bus I got dressed and headed to the gym. I hadn't been there in a while and my membership had run out. They weren't running any specials and for me to sign back up would have cost me close to 3X what I had previously paid.

So I left.

I felt like a failure.

I started driving home and I said to myself, 'Why don't I just run outside?'

I got home and started walking, then running, then walking, then running...

It was a little hard on the lungs in 28° weather but I did it!

I guess the hardest part is getting started and I overcame that. Now I need to try to follow the Couch to 5k schedule. So my next run will be Wednesday. I might even goto the track next time. I'm going to keep watching and join the gym when they run their next special. Hey, I know I'm far away from being able to run 13.2 miles but today was the first step towards accomplishing my goal! :goodvibes

Way to go on getting the first run out of the way! Those are the hardest!

I am currently doing run a mile walk a minute in my training........well if I am being honest I am actually doing, the hobble 14 feet to the kitchen, sit, rest, hobble back up the stairs to my room, (dumb knee surgery), but I started PT last week so I hope to be back to run a mile walk a minute in April or May! It has improved my 5K time dramatically! A marathon runner recommended it to me!

I never declared a team, but as a brand new runner last year (ran my first road race in August, a 7 mile uphill battle.....literally), I am gonna have to not chose a side. I was fortunate enough to meet the Hoyts (team Hoyt the father son wheelchair racers) the night before and it definitely inspired me to finish! If a 71 year old man can do an iron man challenge with his kid in a wheelchair I could run 7 miles!

Good luck boys!

Just so you know, I'm cheering for the strangers in the race because I love you both and I will NOT take sides. :love::love::love:
Thanks Kathy!

I am looking at a 5K on either April 14 or April 29. Maybe I can do both. :confused3
There is a 5k that starts just about a mile or so from my house the week before the the CSSW Home Run and Walk that we're doing. I was thinking about doing both but we'll see how training goes.
Whose idea was this anyway? :mad: :sad2: :sad2:
Yours, dude. It was yours. And for some reason, I agreed to it. :headache:

It is going to take quite a bit of training if we want to RUN in this marathon. They suggest that we are able to do this schedule for 4-5 weeks before we jump into the 12 week 1/2 marathon training.
You want a real eye opener? Find your house on Google Maps, then use the measure tool (the little ruler in the lower left hand part of the map. Start drawing a route around your neighborhood until you get to 13.1 miles. It's a lot farther than it sounds!

Good luck to both of you with your training!! Barry - The 5K sounds like it is for a wonderful cause!!! Tim - I've heard really really great things about Couch To 5K! And starting off on week 3, you're definitely hitting the ground running! (Bad pun intended! :thumbsup2)
Thanks, and the pun was awesome, by the way! :thumbsup2

Sara, Barry is the pun Queen. If you read any of his TRs they are filled with horrible puns. So many, in fact, that his own wife calls him out on them. :rolleyes1 What I'm trying to say is that you fit in fine here. :rotfl2:
Hey now - some may be just a bit south of awesome, but none dip into the "horrible" range.

What a great run cause! See it IS fate!
Thanks!
I am very glad that you two are competing against each other and that there is no cute kid contest because that would have to be tied. :thumbsup2
Why do you think we're having a 3rd? To beat Tim with shear numbers!:rotfl2:

More effective motivation for Barry: Dole Whip or Fried Cheese? Discuss.
Nobody says you can't have both!

I'm in. Sounds like you guys are both going to have a fun year getting ready for this.
Welcome Ryan!
Ummm...can you define "fun" for us? I don't think I quite understand it in the context you used it in.:confused3

211. I must of lost some weight while I was sleeping. LOL I'm sure my weight fluctuates throughout the day but I wasn't feeling too bad about 211.
I've always read that you need to be consistent when weighing yourself, and to do it right away in the morning after you do your morning business in the bathroom to get the most accurate result. I'll post mine tomorrow.
After Juliana got on the bus I got dressed and headed to the gym. I hadn't been there in a while and my membership had run out. They weren't running any specials and for me to sign back up would have cost me close to 3X what I had previously paid.
:headache:
I have a hard time getting to the gym, so Bambi authorized use of some of our tax refund to get a treadmill. So much easier to motivate myself to go downstairs after putting the kids to bed than to drive to the gym and do it.
It was a little hard on the lungs in 28° weather but I did it!
:thumbsup2
I guess the hardest part is getting started and I overcame that. Now I need to try to follow the Couch to 5k schedule. So my next run will be Wednesday. I might even goto the track next time. I'm going to keep watching and join the gym when they run their next special. Hey, I know I'm far away from being able to run 13.2 miles but today was the first step towards accomplishing my goal! :goodvibes
Good News Tim! It's only 13.1 miles! You're that much closer to being done!
Just kidding - great job on the start.

I never declared a team, but as a brand new runner last year (ran my first road race in August, a 7 mile uphill battle.....literally), I am gonna have to not chose a side. I was fortunate enough to meet the Hoyts (team Hoyt the father son wheelchair racers) the night before and it definitely inspired me to finish! If a 71 year old man can do an iron man challenge with his kid in a wheelchair I could run 7 miles!

Good luck boys!
I saw the video of them doing that - amazing how much strength you can draw when you need to!

Somehow I totally missed this PTR. Can't have that! Although whatever you do, don't tell Mrs. Knowitall about it. I don't want her putting pressure on me to start this whole "running" thing. :scared1:

Somehow I totally missed this PTR. Can't have that! Although whatever you do, don't tell Mrs. Knowitall about it. I don't want her putting pressure on me to start this whole "running" thing. :scared1:

But, Mark! If you run, you must run in the Disney 1/2 which is in Jan 2013 at the same time as the DISDad's Convention!

You don't need a new car.... just work on that biped commuter system. :lmao:

:cool1: For getting started. I did C25K last year to get ready for the Wine and Dine 5K. I really liked it. Did you buy the App? They also have Bridge to 10K once you finish C25K. Also, check out the Jeff Galloway 1/2 training programs(Run Disney has links) I think his programs are a little less harsh than the one you are looking at.

Oh and BTW, you can run 10 miles a day, but unless you change your eating habits you won't lose any weight. That means you can't eat bacon for breakfast every day :scared1::lmao: Just sayin :rolleyes1

I'm waiting to see the coarse maps, but I'm thinking of running the Wine and Dine 5K again this year. You might want to consider it. You'll get a sneak peak at what Disney runs are all about and it will definitely keep you motivated during the cold months that you will need to be training thru.

Way to go on getting the first run out of the way! Those are the hardest!
Thanks!!

I am currently doing run a mile walk a minute in my training........well if I am being honest I am actually doing, the hobble 14 feet to the kitchen, sit, rest, hobble back up the stairs to my room, (dumb knee surgery), but I started PT last week so I hope to be back to run a mile walk a minute in April or May! It has improved my 5K time dramatically! A marathon runner recommended it to me!
So how many miles do you run while doing the walk/run thing?

Hope your knee gets better soon so you can continue training. :goodvibes

Good luck boys!
WOW! That is amazing!!

Yours, dude. It was yours. And for some reason, I agreed to it. :headache:
You could of just told me I was crazy and to never bring it up again and we wouldn't be going through all this. But what fun would that be? :rotfl2:

You want a real eye opener? Find your house on Google Maps, then use the measure tool (the little ruler in the lower left hand part of the map. Start drawing a route around your neighborhood until you get to 13.1 miles. It's a lot farther than it sounds!
Ummm... wow. :scared1: I can't believe we are going to do this. :lmao:

Hey now - some may be just a bit south of awesome, but none dip into the "horrible" range.
I'm sorry. I guess I took it a little too far. :flower3:

Why do you think we're having a 3rd? To beat Tim with shear numbers!:rotfl2:
You can win that race! :lmao::lmao:

I've always read that you need to be consistent when weighing yourself, and to do it right away in the morning after you do your morning business in the bathroom to get the most accurate result. I'll post mine tomorrow.
Yuuuup! That's what I did. I think I'm going to take weekly Monday morning pictures.

Good News Tim! It's only 13.1 miles! You're that much closer to being done!
Just kidding - great job on the start.
WHEW! That makes feel a whole lot better. :sad2:

:welcome: Mark!!!

Thanks for reading!!! :thumbsup2

But, Mark! If you run, you must run in the Disney 1/2 which is in Jan 2013 at the same time as the DISDad's Convention!
::yes:: Come on Mark!

Speaking of running Randall, I heard you were thinking of signing up for the 1/2. :confused3

You don't need a new car.... just work on that biped commuter system. :lmao:
:rotfl2:

Well Don since you asked, I did text Barry a picture of my NEW running shoes on February 20th. You wanna see them too?

IMAG0258.jpg

I did my first run today... I'll post about it in a bit. popcorn::
sport-smiley-009.gif

Whoah :eek: Those do look fancy... :worship: I think I'm leaning more towards Team Tim popcorn::
PLUS... he started his training in freezing temps :lmao:

Speaking of running Randall, I heard you were thinking of signing up for the 1/2. :confused3

After I broke my leg the 1st time, I went back to see the Doctor after a year and he asked me if I was skiing, (it was winter time). I told him, yes, But I was just a beginner. He look at me and with a straight face asked "So, you don't like walking?" :scared1:

I just walk now.

Welcome Mark! How is Your Better Half doing with her running? Is she still working at it?

:cool1: For getting started. I did C25K last year to get ready for the Wine and Dine 5K. I really liked it. Did you buy the App? They also have Bridge to 10K once you finish C25K. Also, check out the Jeff Galloway 1/2 training programs(Run Disney has links) I think his programs are a little less harsh than the one you are looking at.
I've started looking at Jeff's training and it looks good. There is so many training program out there it's hard to settle on one. Might as well go for the one that Disney tells me to use! :rotfl2:

Oh and BTW, you can run 10 miles a day, but unless you change your eating habits you won't lose any weight. That means you can't eat bacon for breakfast every day :scared1::lmao: Just sayin :rolleyes1
I can handle the no bacon. But deep fried cheese is still OK, right?:confused3

I'm waiting to see the coarse maps, but I'm thinking of running the Wine and Dine 5K again this year. You might want to consider it. You'll get a sneak peak at what Disney runs are all about and it will definitely keep you motivated during the cold months that you will need to be training thru.
I know I won't be able to squeeze in any more Disney trips for running, but I know I'll be looking for some around home to keep me motivated!

You could of just told me I was crazy and to never bring it up again and we wouldn't be going through all this. But what fun would that be? :rotfl2:
Oh no - there's no way I would be the one to stop this crazy train.

Ummm... wow. :scared1: I can't believe we are going to do this. :lmao:
Baby steps Tim. Trace out a 5k (3.1 mile) course. Much easier! Worry about the 13.1 later.

Yuuuup! That's what I did. I think I'm going to take weekly Monday morning pictures.
I've been doing Fridays, but to be consistent, I can switch to Mondays as well.

I didn't buy the app... but I did bookmark the page. Does that count?

Oh and BTW, you can run 10 miles a day, but unless you change your eating habits you won't lose any weight. That means you can't eat bacon for breakfast every day :scared1::lmao: Just sayin
I don't eat horribly, but I know if I'm running 20 miles a week I WILL be losing some weight. ::yes::

WOW! I didn't even realize that was going on while we are going to be there.

$155 dollars to run in a 5K? Seems a little pricy. I never looked at the price for the Jan. 1/2. I wonder if we will be paying that much... or more?

Whoah :eek: Those do look fancy... :worship: I think I'm leaning more towards Team Tim popcorn::
PLUS... he started his training in freezing temps :lmao:
Yea!!! Team Tim!!!!

It looked like this when I was running this morning....

rocky-iv.jpg

After I broke my leg the 1st time, I went back to see the Doctor after a year and he asked me if I was skiing, (it was winter time). I told him, yes, But I was just a beginner. He look at me and with a straight face asked "So, you don't like walking?" :scared1:

I just walk now.
Can you walk faster than a 16 minute mile? :confused3

Here Don, you'll need this,

57d5093c111a2a01bbcaac138e1db5f4.gif
Please retire that banner immediately. :headache:

Oh no - there's no way I would be the one to stop this crazy train.
:rotfl2:

So I was reading an article on MSN just a few minutes ago...

Man dies after collapsing during race

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Baby steps Tim. Trace out a 5k (3.1 mile) course. Much easier! Worry about the 13.1 later.
I might actually follow your advice. :goodvibes

I've been doing Fridays, but to be consistent, I can switch to Mondays as well.
That's fine... take em on Friday post on monday. Or I can post my Monday pics on friday if you wish. :surfweb:

Yay for getting started!!! You don't need no stinkin' gyms!!! :banana::banana:(Especially at 3x the cost! :scared:)
:rotfl2::rotfl2:

They will run a special soon.. I know it. I just didn't feel like paying full price.... PLUS it is supposed to be 65 degrees here on Thursday! :woohoo:

Ooooh, a joint PTR! Yay! Hmm, it seems like there's quite a few men here, time to add a little estrogen then.:goodvibes

What a fantabulous reason to return to Disney...a marathon?:confused3 I'll never understand all of you exercising people.;) I thought Disney was where you go to vacation?:confused3 Running 13.1 miles doesn't sound as relaxing as sipping on a dolewhip at the MK.

Tim, I loved your intro. even if you sorta, kind of, sounded a like a teenage girl obsessing about her weight.:rolleyes: Just kidding! I think it's wonderful that you want to take control of your health. I really do!:thumbsup2 Great family pics as well! I forget but did you mention if Mel and the kids are coming too or is this strictly a marathon thing?

Ok, so who's this Barry fella then? I've seen his posts around, he sounds like an instigator.:rolleyes1 I can see why he's your nemesis then Timmy.

Barry, I hope you can overcome your siren call of the "deep fryer" then to outrun, outlast, outplay Tim.:thumbsup2 Your intro was great, not as girly as Tim's of course but I loved it! Your kiddos are beautiful and honestly, they are a great motivation to be healthy (I say that from experience:goodvibes). Good luck to you!

So apparently we have to choose sides then? Boy, it's like being back in gym class and there's only two left to be picked for dodgeball! I'll reserve my "side" until I see how well you boys train up in the next few months!:rolleyes1

So apparently we have to choose sides then? Boy, it's like being back in gym class and there's only two left to be picked for dodgeball! I'll reserve my "side" until I see how well you boys train up in the next few months!:rolleyes1
Wow, great post. Cheap shots taken at both of them! :worship:

You can just join me in my effort to antagonize both of them equally until an adequate bribe is sent my direction to gain my loyalty. I personally think it is more fun this way. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter