Needing Large family/first trip tips

We stayed offsite with our large family and loved it, but understand sometimes you want to have the fun of being on site.
Some benefits of being offsite:
not dealing with buses with our double strollers
private pool and hot tub (I'm not a big public pool person, so I loved this)
everyone had space to spread out and be alone for naps
much, much cheaper, so we were able to do other special stuff like EMM, princess and pirate makeovers, more character breakfasts, etc.

If you stay onsite, rent points. I would not do a split stay with such a large group. If you want to see other resorts, plan a meal at one of the restaurants and walk around while you are there.
Have fun and good luck!

I think our first trip will be 5-7 days tent camping at fort wilderness. Will only need 1 site if my daughter and her family do not get to go, since my little ones under a year old.
I looked at room pictures and didn't see anything I was just ecstatic about. If we are comfortable camping is there any reason to stay in a room?

If u are comfortable camping, go for it! I think it will be the most affordable for such a big group. But try not to spend too much precious park time cooking, setting up, etc.

Also watch for weather. The summer months are brutally hot.

You can probably manage in 3 rooms, but if you can rent DVC points for one or two bigger rooms, you will be so much more comfortable.

We usually travel as a group of 15-20 people and we start with 2 2-bedroom suites at AKL then any people who add on get their own rooms, usually ending up at different resorts. We LOVE AKL. It's by far our favorite but we also really enjoyed All Star Music and Coronado Springs. We didn't love SSR, I wouldn't stay there again unless it was the only option and my dates weren't flexible.
The downside to renting points, especially for bigger suites, is that you have to be ready to commit and pay for the room so far out and you may not have a cancellation policy. We're fortunate that we can plan ahead and we request reservations right at the 11 month mark. It can be significantly cheaper for a big family plus all the benefits that come with full size kitchen appliances and a washer and dryer in the room. I don't do real cooking on vacation, but I get frozen lasagna, frozen pulled pork from home, frozen pizza, etc. We fill up the fridge with sandwich stuff, fruit, milk, and bottled water. We do our grocery shopping at the Super Target nearby.

If u are comfortable camping, go for it! I think it will be the most affordable for such a big group. But try not to spend too much precious park time cooking, setting up, etc.

Also watch for weather. The summer months are brutally hot.
Hoping to go somewhere between end of January-march *crosses fingers* from what I have read weather isn't too bad...

Why not stay at a value resort,booking 3 rooms? You may not be right next door, but they do all they can to provide close by quarters when asked. I've done it before with no issues. It's not guaranteed, but at the worst it's not too separated esp. if noted and requested right up to checkin.I wouldn't bother moving tho, that's a nightmare and so not relaxing with 12 people.

I think our first trip will be 5-7 days tent camping at fort wilderness. Will only need 1 site if my daughter and her family do not get to go, since my little ones under a year old.
I looked at room pictures and didn't see anything I was just ecstatic about. If we are comfortable camping is there any reason to stay in a room?
It is affordable fun.... if you don;t mind being in a tent! I think you can do 10 people per site, so that's a great deal,and you can still have lots of fun. They have great bathrooms etc there,nice pools and it's just beautiful.

I just thought it would be more enticing for my kids, especially the older ones, to be in different resorts. Doesn't matter, couldn't afford it and my teens&adults say they just don't want to go. The horrible mother I am, we are all going, camping onsite. ~8:-

Don't do the separate resorts your first trip. You will be all spread out. And it will take time to get you all together to do things together. I really underestimated the travel times to places. Disney is huge. But you really don't understand the size until you go.

It sounds fun, but in practice it takes a lot of travel time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter