Needed: LIGHT PACKERS!

I tried my hardest to be a light packer this time around and I think I succeeded. :) I didn't want to have to check a bag at the airport so I had one large duffle to work with as a carry-on for a 5 day stay. As far as clothing, I brought just a few pairs of each thing I'd need. Jeans you can re-wear a few times. Same with skirts. I tried to bring bottoms in solid colors so I could mix and match and get a few different outfits out of each item. I also took into account the fact that I always buy souvenir t-shirts, so I wouldn't really have to pack a shirt for every day. The only thing you really need to pack for every single day is socks and undies. Toiletries I kept in one small bag which fit into the front of my duffle. I brought one semi-fancy dress just in case we went to dinner and only one pair of shoes. (If you do this make sure the shoes you bring are comfy!) In the end I actually had room to spare! Plenty of space for my WDW trip souvenirs :thumbsup2
-Kitty

Now a days many people are starting to realize jeans can last a long time without needing to be washed. I know many of the older generation balk at this, but seriously after a week my jeans do not stink at all. So you only need one pair of jeans, which saves a ton of room.

If you really need to wash them though, you can buy travel sized Tide packets to hand wash them in your room. Just do it at night and let them dry. If you are at WDW during the summer you will love the fact they might be a little damp in that stifling heat.

Really all you need to bring for each day are socks and undies like Kitty said. T-shirts do not take up much room, and just wear one pair of shoes the entire time.

Do not bring your laptop, they have computers at various resorts you can use. Besides you are on vacation, you do not need to be buried inside a laptop:)

Also, use Garden Grocer ( http://gardengrocer.com/ ) for sunscreen and other toiletries you might want to pack. They will deliver it to your resort so you can save room with those items.

-Hellstrom

If you plan to do laundry mid-trip, you can cut way down on the number of clothes you bring.

Last trip, I found some great shorts at REI. They're "river shorts" (meant to be worn in the water). In addition to being very light and comfortable, they hand-wash in the hotel room sink and dry overnight. Cuts way down on the packing.

I used to send down a box of snacks, but found that I could buy most of what I needed at the hotel gift shop (cereal, milk, chips, cookies, juice).

Has anyone tried using the Travel Space Bags? I have used zip-loc bags for years, but thought the Space Bags would be better. I have to say we went to the beach last weekend for Labor Day and I was able to pack for 3 nights in a 21" carry-on bag! My husband used a bigger suitcase than me!::rotfl2:
We are taking the train in December and would love to pack as light as possible!

Has anyone tried using the Travel Space Bags? I have used zip-loc bags for years, but thought the Space Bags would be better. I have to say we went to the beach last weekend for Labor Day and I was able to pack for 3 nights in a 21" carry-on bag! My husband used a bigger suitcase than me!::rotfl2:
We are taking the train in December and would love to pack as light as possible!

I purchased Space Bags about five years ago to use for storage in my attic (extra large bags) and the small travel sized ones. The top seals on mine don't close as well anymore, but I found them useful when packing to come home vs. going on vacation. I was afraid that once all the air was pushed out and the clothes were so condensed, that they would come out wrinkled. On the way home, I don't mind wrinkles!

I'd think that the seals on the bags are better now. Worth a try if you can get one at Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but PACKING CUBES RULE!!! We were introduced to them 4 years ago when we were traveling to Europe. While we were researching our trip we came across the GURU of packing light, Rick Steves. I highly recommend going over to his site and searching the forums for packing tips. But my quick must have advice to you is the packing cubes. Ours are the rick steves ones, but container store, Bed bath and Beyond have them too. I've even seen them for sale at Target. Hope this helps.

I purchased Space Bags about five years ago to use for storage in my attic (extra large bags) and the small travel sized ones. The top seals on mine don't close as well anymore, but I found them useful when packing to come home vs. going on vacation. I was afraid that once all the air was pushed out and the clothes were so condensed, that they would come out wrinkled. On the way home, I don't mind wrinkles!

I'd think that the seals on the bags are better now. Worth a try if you can get one at Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon.

Thanks for the advice!:thumbsup2 We may try them for our trip in December!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but PACKING CUBES RULE!!! We were introduced to them 4 years ago when we were traveling to Europe. While we were researching our trip we came across the GURU of packing light, Rick Steves. I highly recommend going over to his site and searching the forums for packing tips. But my quick must have advice to you is the packing cubes. Ours are the rick steves ones, but container store, Bed bath and Beyond have them too. I've even seen them for sale at Target. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the site!:worship:

I used them for my last trip and they work great. These are the kinds that you roll up to remove the air. I was amazed at how much more I could fit into my carry on bag. I would recommend them.

I'm getting ready to start packing, so I wanted to bump this thread.

I purchased a Mother Lode Mini, and a few packing cubes, so we'll see how that works out.

The weather looks like it will be great for our trip, so I think that will lighten the load for us -- more shorts and t-shirts, less pants and long-sleeves.

I feel your pain! I lay out everything I want to take, and force myself to leave half of it at home! The only way I'm able to do this is that I always plan to do laundry mid-trip. Then you only need half of the clothes!

I am a serious list maker - we don't leave for over 6 months, and I have already started my "List for Mickey" :) However, my crazy lists tend to make me over pack. I think I am going to try for the "pack it once, then take away half" this time.

For those that use packing cubes - do they really cut down on space, or are they just ways to organize? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter