Need to vent on prices

What I do is bring my own breakfast. Eat a big lunch at restaurants that accepts discounts (DVC Member 10-20% etc). Have a snack in the evening.

I find that for $25-30.00 a person you will be happy.

Yes for lunch there are very good deals at disney and alot of restarants are excellent.

Fulton
Portabellos
Grand Flordian cafe,

just to name a few!

I have always found the portions at WDW to be huge. In 2009, my sister and I were there without the dining plan. Prices are high, but we were able to split meals and still have plenty to eat. We shared the ribs at Yak and Yeti- very good.

This year, we had the dining plan and again, more than enough food, sometimes too much. I also don't agree that the quality has declined. But, I have a method that works for me..I ask the server what they would recommend. It helps that I'm not picky though. Had a veal chop that was to die for at Le Cellier and divine lamb chops at Hollywood Brown Derby. Tusker House was another favorite.:thumbsup2

Want to save money!

IMO don't be tricked into the magic bus which traps you on property !!!I just rented a car from Alamo in 1 week (DEC) for 9 days with Master Card. Full Size with all fees and taxes $158 :thumbsup2 IMO far superior to Disney transportation. Can
Eat off property $$$$$
Go to outlet stores (Disney etc..) $$$$$
Go to supermarket $$$$$
Visit other attractions !!

Want to save money!

IMO don't be tricked into the magic bus which traps you on property !!!I just rented a car from Alamo in 1 week (DEC) for 9 days with Master Card. Full Size with all fees and taxes $158 :thumbsup2 IMO far superior to Disney transportation. Can
Eat off property $$$$$
Go to outlet stores (Disney etc..) $$$$$
Go to supermarket $$$$$
Visit other attractions !!

You can get groceries without having to rent a car. I have used Garden Grocier more than once, and I didn't have to spend $158 bucks to do it. :) For the rest, I don't want to visit the outlet stores (and spend more money) and I don't want to visit other attractions (and spend even more money).

Renting a car is just another added cost that I don't need.

Speaking as a diagnosed Celiac, Disney is fabulous! I know that when I go to disney I can get pretty much the same thing as a normal and they don't charge me more for it like most places. I DESPISE eating out. Its a real pain. I haven't noticed the quality of food going down over the last few years. What I have seen is more guests trying to rig the system and then complaining when they can't rig it.

You can get groceries without having to rent a car. I have used Garden Grocier more than once, and I didn't have to spend $158 bucks to do it. :) For the rest, I don't want to visit the outlet stores (and spend more money) and I don't want to visit other attractions (and spend even more money).

Renting a car is just another added cost that I don't need.

I can be anywhere on property in minutes without waitimg! These were only examples of what you could do if you don't want Disney to have ALL your money. I have been to Disney soooo many times I can even drive to the property without paying a toll :laughing::laughing::laughing: Just to make it clear I like my freedom and don't like to feel traped or use a Disney bus JMO :)
As for the outlet Disney stores. This past October I bought new 2011 sweat shirts for half price and many other great buys cheaper than the parks ...............

ccc.jpg

I can be anywhere on property in minutes without waitimg! These were only examples of what you could do if you don't want Disney to have ALL your money. I have been to Disney soooo many times I can even drive to the property without paying a toll :laughing::laughing::laughing: Just to make it clear I like my freedom and don't like to feel traped or use a Disney bus JMO :)
As for the outlet Disney stores. This past October I bought new 2011 sweat shirts for half price and many other great buys cheaper than the parks ...............

ccc.jpg

I'm not sure what the purpose of posting this way old brochure is? Some of the meals haven't existed in years, and the prices are all way higher now. Is it to show how expensive meals are now?

I'm not feeling that great, so maybe I missed something? Tiger

We just had to cross another TS off our list. I sometimes go on about how much I love the tofu dish at Sci-Fi. The glaze was so flavorful and we loved the fresh tomato and basil topping.

We tried it last night and the recipe was very different. No topping and the glaze tasted like they just watered down the BBQ sauce they use on their other foods. Very disappointing, though it probably saves the kitchen money.

Speaking as a diagnosed Celiac, Disney is fabulous! I know that when I go to disney I can get pretty much the same thing as a normal and they don't charge me more for it like most places. I DESPISE eating out. Its a real pain. I haven't noticed the quality of food going down over the last few years. What I have seen is more guests trying to rig the system and then complaining when they can't rig it.

As somebody else who deals with food allergies (including gluten), I have to agree 100%. We're thrilled to even be ABLE to eat out and we don't pay any kind of premium on our meals for this. We've actually had restaurants charge us less than we expected for some of our kids' meals (they're Disney adults) because they ring the customized meals into the computer as something cheaper than I would have expected. Yes, some of our non-allergy meals haven't been the same high quality but most have. For the most part, if we order foods that are the specialty of the restaurant and/or recommended by our server then we're always happy with our meals. IMO the prices are quite in line with restaurants that aren't family chains. If you're used to Applebees and TGI Fridays then I can see how the WDW restaurants seem extremely expensive, but if you're used to higher end or more specialized restaurants then the Disney prices don't seem so outrageous.

In real life as well as at Disney I've found quality at restaurants in general to have gone downhill while prices have gone up. I've read way too many articles about how restaurants are cutting back portion sizes and skimping on higher quality ingredients/using cheaper ingredients all while raising prices. It's unfortunately the way of the world these days.

I really think that what gets a lot of people about the prices is that they're paying for restaurant food for the entire duration of their vacation. At home, people don't do this. If vacationing in NYC or Boston or anywhere else, it would be just as much of a sticker shock to see all those bills coming in all at once.

Variety and quality have declined and the prices have become astronomical.

Sorry, I don't buy the "other theme parks are more expensive" rationale. Theme parks/sporting events/movie theaters don't expect you to stay onsite for several days at a time. They are looking for the quick bang because they know you won't be back multiple days.

When I go to WDW, I go for the week. It gets old seeing ridiculously priced and often underwhelming food offered at a king's ransome. I wouldn't mind it so much if the food was original, exciting, and innovative. It's not. Most of it is cheap, mass produced food - some of it is served on paper plates with Mickey ears and some of it is served on crockery. None of it is worth the price they are charging.

We head offsite now. Orlando is a tourist town with tourist prices and we still feel that there are plenty of options. Adios WDW restaurants!

Variety and quality have declined and the prices have become astronomical.

Sorry, I don't buy the "other theme parks are more expensive" rationale. Theme parks/sporting events/movie theaters don't expect you to stay onsite for several days at a time. They are looking for the quick bang because they know you won't be back multiple days.

When I go to WDW, I go for the week. It gets old seeing ridiculously priced and often underwhelming food offered at a king's ransome. I wouldn't mind it so much if the food was original, exciting, and innovative. It's not. Most of it is cheap, mass produced food - some of it is served on paper plates with Mickey ears and some of it is served on crockery. None of it is worth the price they are charging.

We head offsite now. Orlando is a tourist town with tourist prices and we still feel that there are plenty of options. Adios WDW restaurants!

Disney gets a HUGE number of day visitors. They need to make that "quick bang" as you said just like any other park or event. And Disney *does* offer onsite guests a way to save money by offering dining plans, which if used appropriately can save money.

And Disney *does* offer onsite guests a way to save money by offering dining plans, which if used appropriately can save money.

I think that's one of the reasons that prices are increasing - Disney wants onsite guests who opt for DDP to feel they're getting a great deal! And everyone else just has to put up with the prices. They also want to encourage people to stay onsite especially with free dining! We have 3 ADRs for our upcoming trip (14 day offsite). We will eat mostly offsite. We have done DDP 5 times and I don't want this trip to be about food again.

It needs to be about the beer! :drinking1 :dance3::rotfl2:

Disney also offers Tables in Wonderland, a discount card available to Florida residents and annual pass holders - this is another way they "reward" frequent guests with dining discounts.

I agree with most...movies are a rip off with their concession prices and Cedar Point is right up there with the sports arena.:sad2: Disney isn't exactly a bargain, but they are certainly better than some places! And IMHO is worth every penny! Thanks for the post...interesting!:thumbsup2

Many years ago, I said Disney pricing works like this:

Take an item, a meal, etc.
Use your imagination to thing of the absolutely most outrageous price that one could charge for it.
Double that price.
That will give you the Disney price.

My formula held years ago, and it still does!

My complaint, now, is that the quality of the food and dining experiences for that high price are declining precipitously. I challenge anyone to order a dessert at any restaurant that takes the DDP and compare it with dessert at a restaurant that does not. The difference is astounding. The quality of the dessert at a DDP restaurant will be low -- they are now mass produced due to DDP and free dining. And yet they still cost $10 a dessert!!

The last Artist Point dessert we had, before we swore off AP forever, was nothing more than a glorifed zebra dome, which I am no fan of anyway. It was only slightly larger than a zebra dome, was obviously supplied by the thousands by some third party vendor and simply pulled from the freezer and slapped on the plate with a squirt of sauce whenever dessert was ordered.

I contrast that with the absolutely scrumptious desserts we had at Fulton's, last month which does not take DDP. I would say their $8 key lime pie and cherry cobbler with ice cream were the two best desserts of our vacation (aside from the kona chocolate souffle at V&A).

We also used to love the cheese plate at CG. This time, although it still cost $20, it clearly had been pre-plated hours before. The cheese had already dried out. Disappointing. That, together with the wines by the glass, which were way past the point of being able to be served in terms of age and oxidation mean we have now sworn off CG as well.

Aside from Jiko, we now avoid any restaurant that takes DDP. And, we won't order dessert at Jiko anymore because their silly slab of "Peruvian" chocolate something we ate last month (not sure how we got from Africa to Peru, but whatever) was not worth $10 and was a pale shadow of the amazing desserts of yesteryear. So, we will continue to dine at Jiko due to the appetizers, entrees and excellent South African wine list, but we won't order dessert anymore.

Our best meals last month by far were had at Il Mulino, Bice, Emeril's, Fulton's and V&A.

Seems to be a pattern there.

IMO, food at Disney has simply become a way for management to improve the bottom-line. How can food (which is cheap for Disney) be used to keep people on site, and to maximize hotel room revenues. It's no longer about dining -- at all. I miss the Eisner days when things like dining and wine and sommeliers and the Disney Institute actually mattered. These days it is all numbers crunching, all the time. It shows everywhere -- from the quality of the food to the fact that lots of places around WDW looked surprisingly dirty and unkempt last month.

Agree and also as a side note as a current student in Labor Relations reading about management..the key note currently in America is catering to the stockholders and that means the accountants crunch numbers to squeeze every penny and it means that the customers and employees are at the end of the line for being taken care of.....there are a few businesses that put customers and employees before shareholders but they are few and far between.....(Currently)

You have to realize the logistics of getting that bag of chips to you for purchasing. Disney is a huge operation and it takes many people to get that bag of chips to the parks to sell to you.

Someone orders it; receives it in the warehouse; offloads; distributes it for daily delivery; drive the truck; offloads; and then pays the vendor the bill.

That can be up to ten people to have to work together to get that one bag of chips to you.

I have to disagree with your assessment. If it were true then you have to say the same thing about restaurants, Target, Walmart, and other venues where the food is much cheaper and much better.

it does apply to walmart, target, etc. but their overhead is not as high as disney's overhead it.

what the previous posted did not include in the chain are the people who are hired to staff the stores to sell that bag of chips, the elec. in the stores, the heat and/or air conditioning, etc. etc. etc.

I have to disagree with your assessment. If it were true then you have to say the same thing about restaurants, Target, Walmart, and other venues where the food is much cheaper and much better.

I haven't read all the posts here but I just had to say......We own our own business and we charge $1.50 for a 20 oz coke product. The same product that Disney buys by the truckload! We are making $ on the sale. I understand this is a much larger operation than we are but...Just saying!

I haven't read all the posts here but I just had to say......We own our own business and we charge $1.50 for a 20 oz coke product. The same product that Disney buys by the truckload! We are making $ on the sale. I understand this is a much larger operation than we are but...Just saying!

Hi! You are EXACTLY RIGHT. Disney buys in QUANTITY! They're prices have skyrocketed in the past 5 years in food and beverages. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter