Need to vent on 'Ohana experience

If you want a slowly paced meal, go to a signature restaurant. O'hana isn't meant to be that kind of experience. You can sit and chat for as long as you want AFTER you finish eating. We lingered at Ohana for over an hour after finishing dessert, with a couple extra drinks/coffees. They can't physically make you leave until you are ready to. Next time, if you want a relaxing meal, go to a relaxing restaurant. Or, arrive an hour early and relax at the lounge with a drink and some chatting with your family. It doesn't make sense to make a dining reservation, be seated at a table and then say you aren't ready to eat, when you go to a buffet or family style meal. The whole point of those is that you don't have to order and wait forever for your food.

OR, go to Ohana after 9pm. They don't rush diners with later reservations.

Are you serious? You honestly think that because 'Ohana is not a signature and that because the food is served in courses that are predetermined guests should be expected to inhale their food in order to keep up with service designed to move people like cattle?

No. If I am paying that kind of money for a meal I expect that a simple request that I have a few moments to relax, check the drink menu and order a cocktail be honored. I do nto need to participate in a business model that has been revised to resemble a lunch schedule at a high school cafeteria

While it seems a pricey meal, at Disney Ohana is not...Cali Grill or Jiko...yes, they go at a slow pace. We once had a CG dinner (about $600 tab for 4 of us) at like 6:50. Fireworks were like 9. And he drug it out so we could remain in our window seat through fireworks. It was nice to see the fireworks but, honestly, we weren't counting on that and would have preferred a little faster pace (we are good with 45 minute meals and then can hang out and chat in room, we are DVC and have 1-2BR villa, or at a bar). We like faster pace at Ohana and rarely get it. We usually sit between things and never get drink refills and wait for bill forever.

Not in this case. The OP states thatvtgeir server tried to get service slowed down, but the server wasn't heeded until the third or fourth attempt.

This is a lonnnngggg time. Wanting a leisurely meal is fine, but leisurely diners could well be the primary cause of extreme waits for later diners and the restaurant rushing the food.
I don't think 2 to 2-1/2 hours to eat a 4 course meal (salad, appetizers, main course, and dessert with coffee/tea) is an unreasonable amount of time nor do I recall seeing much changeover in our neighbors' tables while there with the exception of a table with a squalling toddler who I assume was eating outside of her normal bedtime. Since Ohana opens for dinner around 3:00PM (much earlier than most Disney restaurants probably to accommodate the little ones) and closes at midnight I would think a table turnover averaging once every 2 hours is the norm and something management has already taken into account.

As for the extreme waits so common at this eatery when it opens I think that's more to do with staffing (the line frequently go down to the lobby level although now it's right off the monorail staion on the mezzanine)) and the clientele of families with small children. We eat later at that restaurant on purpose, LOL.

2 hours is wayyyyyy too long. I could see an hour and 15 mins but even an hour and a half is too long to be holding up a table.
I can't imagine anyone eating that fast unless they had some sort of eating disorder and then I'd just feel sorry for them and keep my eyes on my own plate.

I really don't think dining should be the equivalent of the Nathan's frankfurter contest.

Last edited:

I can't imagine anyone eating that fast unless they had some sort of eating disorder and then I'd just feel sorry for them and keep my eyes on my own plate.

I really don't think dining should be the equivalent to the Nathan's frankfurter contest.
5,400 seconds is like being in a hot dog eating contest??????....my god, Joey Chestnut's guts would explode if he ate hot dogs for 5,400 seconds. Usual contest is 10-12 minutes. To eat 74 hot dogs or some such. An hour and a half is plenty of time to eat leisurely. I can't imagine the size of the person who would eat Ohana for 2-2.5 hours.

1. Most likely the restaurant managers are coaching the employees to "speed things up". More turn over = more $$$.
I'm not sure more money is the impetus. They don't accept more ADRs than they can seat. Whatever algorithm is used to calculate turnover is thrown off by diners who linger (much) longer than estimated. Low table turnover results in delayed seating for arriving diners. People complain about 45 minute waits.

So now Google is the gospel on how long we are “allowed” to sit down and enjoy a ridiculously priced meal?
No it just says the average time restaurants plan to turn over tables. So I am sure Ohana plans 1 hour and 45 mins like average. So one staying 2.5 hours is eating into other folks' time. That's why I always wait 30+ mins past my ADR there.

I'm not sure more money is the impetus. They don't accept more ADRs than they can seat. Whatever algorithm is used to calculate turnover is thrown off by diners who linger (much) longer than estimated. Low table turnover results in delayed seating for arriving diners. People complain about 45 minute waits.
One time we waited about 45 mins past ADR for Kona and our ADR was late, like 8:30. The sever said it was due to the unexpected cold weather and guests wanting to linger inside in the warmth. So they had trouble turning over tables in the usual timely manner. I suspect folks like to linger at Ohana in order to see the fireworks. I try to book well before fireworks time but it is tough to get any resie there so we sometimes happen to get right at fireworks time and then wait 30+ mins.

Right but the whole reason the ADRs are rushed and there is a long wait is because they are booking too many per day. i.e. more money : )

Since Ohana opens for dinner around 3:00PM (much earlier than most Disney restaurants probably to accommodate the little ones) and closes at midnight I would think a table turnover averaging once every 2 hours is the norm and something management has already taken into account.
I disagree with the assumed reason 'Ohana opens two hours earlier than typical dinner service. I believe it's to accommodate every party who wants to eat there. More opportunities in seven hours than in five.
I can't imagine anyone eating that fast unless
Seventy five minutes is fast? https://www.restaurant-hospitality.com/operations/data-optimal-table-turnover-time-45-minutes

Right but the whole reason the ADRs are rushed and there is a long wait is because they are booking too many per day. i.e. more money : )
They're not booking too many ADRs. If they were, every night there would be diners unable to be seated at all.

They are booking the optimal number of ADRs based on hours, staffing, and expected table turnover. If this article. https://www.restaurant-hospitality.com/operations/data-optimal-table-turnover-time-45-minutes is accurate - and there's no reason to think it's not - but diners linger, it throws off the expectations.

I really don't think dining should be the equivalent of the Nathan's frankfurter contest.

I eat really fast. Average time to eat a plate of food for me is well under 10 minutes. I don't inhale my food. I chew thoughtfully and enjoy it. What I don't like, and my entire family (except my mom) is this way, is talking while eating. I find that very difficult to coordinate without being rude and talking with a full mouth. I don't like my food getting cold, which happens quickly for most dishes. Everyone has a different eating style. My mom eats really slowly, but she mostly talks and takes a bite of food once every five minutes, it seems. It drives us all crazy.

Ideally, it should take a person 20-30 minutes to eat a meal with normal portion sizes. If it is taking you an hour+ to eat, you are eating too much.

An hour and a half is more than enough time for an Ohana meal. That is over 20 minutes per course, on average. No one spends 20 minutes eating a salad or bread pudding with ice cream and hot caramel sauce, which would be a melty mess after that long. It's also not really a 4 course meal. The sides are sides, not appetizers.

2+ hours is just rude at a popular place with a family style service. At a fine dining place, which purposely paces the courses, 2-2.5 hours is perfect.

As for the question. Maybe nit picky. But you paid. So it should be right. If not. I wouldn’t pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter