Need help & fast - info on Old Town needed

2disneycrazy

Earning My Ears
I have a trip planned for the month of July for 2 adults & 1 6-year old. I have two reservations for Pop Century, 1 for 7/11 to 7/17 and 7/17 to 7/27. One was originally with the dining package and 1 was a room only with the AAA rate. I changed both to a room only with AAA because of budget and we'll just eat breakfast in the room and take sandwiches to the parks for lunch.

Since I have read so much about Pop Century and how some people say that it is extremely crowded in July and that it is really a glorified Motel 6, I tried to find a hotel offsite. I did, and now I am starting to panick. I didn't cancel one of my Pop Century reservations yet, but I was going to this morning.

I really need some expert advice. The hotel I just booked in Kissimmee is the Comfort Suites Maingate East. I didn't have to pay a deposit or anything and I could cancel I think up to 2 days before so I have some time, but I hate holding a room that someone else could book if I don't take it.

The price I got was with the Magic Card so it was $79.00 a night plus tax and a resort fee of $2.26 per night. It would come out to about the same as Disney with the AAA rate, $93.70 per night, maybe a few cents less.

What enticed me was the great ratings on tripadviser and good ratings for the Comfort Suites Maingate East on this site. What also enticed me to book this place was that it had a microwave and a refrigerator without an additional nightly charge. I am sure the charge for the micro and fridge is already included in the room rate, but it's not an extra that I have to add on.

Another good feature was that there was a complimentary continental breakfast, which according to everyone's description, was more than a typical continental breakfast included daily. To me the microwave and the complimentary breakfast was an additional way for me to save some money. I could go to a grocery store and purchase some frozen dinners and we could have a low-cost dinner some nights, plus my nephew could have his spaghetti & mealballs (Chef Boyardee) that he loves.

But now I was doing some reading from posters concerning Old Town last night and some of the descriptions are "crappy and dingy." Is this true? Will I be scared at night walking around with my niece and nephew? Is this place safe? I don't want to feel that the only place I will be safe is inside the hotel or out in large crowds that go to Old Town at night.

I wasn't too crazy about International Drive, but it sounds much better than Kissimee. I was on International Drive, right near Wet & Wild, and some people said that area wasn't too good. Is Old Town similar to that area on International Drive or is it worse.

Please give me some honest opinions. Is it worth switching to Comfort Suites Maingate East and saving some money (being closer to some bargain restaurants, et cetera) or should I just stick it out at Pop Century. Where will I feel safer? I want my nephew to have a great time. My niece is in her early 20's and I am sure that she will want to go out at night and have some fun? Where will she be safer?

Thank you.

I would like to cancel either Comfort Suites Maingate East or 1 of my reservations for Pop Century as soon as possible.

I've stayed at this Comfort Suites a couple of times over past 6 months, and it is nice, clean moderate priced hotel. I would recommend requesting a room on the side away from Highway 192 and Old Town, if there is a band playing at Old Town you can hear the thumping in your room if you have a front side room. Maybe it wouldn't bother some people but it did me, the rear side of building with higher floor room was quiet.

About Old Town I can only speak for my two walk throughs, the most recent in early Spring. I had no problems and didn't feel unsafe. Old Town is not a modern shopping mall, it was built, I don't know 30-40 years ago and it has an older appearance, sort of an older Florida before all the big time development. Interesting cross section of stores, restaurants, bars and some midway type rides. It is only a couple minute walk from Comfort Suites to Old Town.

I have no idea what Old Town might be like in middle of summer season, I was there in slower season so maybe things are different that time of year.

Phrank

Pop is not a glorified Motel 6. Motel 6's are usually dirty & have thin towels :lmao: I would never compare Pop to one of them. If money is an object, then by all means stay at the Comfort Suites, they aren't too bad. If you can swing the extra money, the idea of staying at Pop & brining food is the road I would go. While the Comfort Suites isn't too bad, it can get very busy down by Old Town in the summer. I would say that the Old Town area is worse than the International area (that is why the hotels are even cheaper down by Old Town).
Here is a list of the pros/cons the way I look at them:

Pop: Pro: on site
cleaner
easier commute to parks especially w/6 year old
Cast Members all over the place for added security
Grounds much nicer & nicer pools
Con: More expensive

Comfort Suites: Pro: larger room
less expensive
more food choices to eat out
Cons: no security
traffic
not as clean (or safe in my opinion)
hard to come back for midday break (need in July)
grounds & pools nothing great

Now sit & write your pro/con list & make your decision... as I said, Pop is not a glorified Motel 6. While it is not a 4 or 5 star resort, it is not in the likes of a Motel 6 (1 star hotel).

Also forgot to mention that while Pop doesn't have a microwave in the room, there are some in the food court that you can use to heat up your food. There are also toasters there too for toast & bagles. ;)

hey I love Pop!!!

I would go with onsite too. so the 20 year old can go where she wants too...

her interest will be very different than the 6 year old. but if she can only go and come with you(car) - then I would think that would be a problem....

are you driving or flying?

if you are flying - then you can use DME with Disney - otherwise you would need to rent a car.

if you want groceries - there are local delivery.

oh here are some pictures of OKW - definitely NOT a motel 6.... even better than Holiday Inn - I would place it up with Hilton. :thumbsup2

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=537

now a WDW deluxe resort it is not.... but for a night sleep at WDW it can't be beat....

now if you don't need the dinning plan - I would also consider OKW. It a Disney resort - so you can get everything that Pop would give you. and in Sept, oct, nov - it is cheaper.

if you don't mind renting a reservation from a DVC member. A studio will be $80 to $103 ($10 to $13 per point) - Sun-thurs - don't rent Fri/sat (too expensive) - no housekeeping.

now OKW has a slide so your 6 year old will like it. It is close to DD so your 20 year old will like. It is very relaxed and feels like a million miles away - so hopefully you will like it. A studio has a microwave and under the counter refrigerator, plus coffee maker and toaster in the room, has a balcony too....

here a pictures of OKW
http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=545

Don't forget to factor in the $9 per day parking fee at the parks if you stay offsite. When we were there in January, traffic on 192 was quite heavy at times. I would guess it is a lot heavier in July, so would take longer getting to and from your room to the parks. Personally, for the convenience and flexibility, I would stay at POP. If you want to take the 6 year old back to the room for a rest or swim, you can hop a Disney bus and the 20 year old could stay at a park and return when she wanted to.

I live near Old Town and personally hate that place. There was a restaurant manager/employee murdered at the Old Town Checkers about a year ago ( a google search might can help with dates and info on this incident). They have loud music most every nite. I would say Old Town clientele is more similar to Universal orlando's compared to Disney - read what negative inuendo you will into that statement. The whole area is crowded and congested in terms of traffic.

spiceycat said:
oh here are some pictures of OKW - definitely NOT a motel 6.... even better than Holiday Inn - I would place it up with Hilton. :thumbsup2

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=537

now a WDW deluxe resort it is not.... but for a night sleep at WDW it can't be beat....

now if you don't need the dinning plan - I would also consider OKW. It a Disney resort - so you can get everything that Pop would give you. and in Sept, oct, nov - it is cheaper.

if you don't mind renting a reservation from a DVC member. A studio will be $80 to $103 ($10 to $13 per point) - Sun-thurs - don't rent Fri/sat (too expensive) - no housekeeping.

now OKW has a slide so your 6 year old will like it. It is close to DD so your 20 year old will like. It is very relaxed and feels like a million miles away - so hopefully you will like it. A studio has a microwave and under the counter refrigerator, plus coffee maker and toaster in the room, has a balcony too....

here a pictures of OKW
http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=545
Glad you posted the pics for all to see! I can never figure out how to get pic's onto this site :confused3 I had wanted to post some to show how Pop is no way a Motel 6.

and had a awesome time, HUGE rooms, a hot tub, 2 bedroom suite, full kitchen, inroom laundry, pools, basketball courts, just about everything you would need. You will need a car, but the drive from the door to WDW took less than 15 minutes. the rate for us in March was right at $100.00 a night. but a small price to pay for creature comforts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter