Need Cococay advice....

mog

DIS Veteran
I’ve been on Royal Caribbean but never to Coco Cay. It seems very confusing! ...all the different areas, water park, cabanas etc. I was looking at the cabanas but they only allow 10 and we have 11 people (9 adults and 2 teenagers). Any suggestions of what to do, where to plan to hang out, something we should reserve??

I haven't been since the updates but my son (just turned 11) wants to go desperately, he wants to spend the day on the water slides. I'm sure your teens would like that as well? There are plenty of things to do that you don't have to book in advance, and the beach was really lovely when we went (I assume that hasn't changed completely!). We are just two when we travel so I don't look at cabanas but from what I understand that type of thing books up quickly. I'd have a look at the map and see what areas interest your party, perhaps the teens and a few adults might like the waterpark and others just the beach?

We loved the just hanging out in the pool with the swim up bar. :-) It is huge and the bottom is bouncy (a different texture). The beach was also nice too. It was just my husband and I though and we weren't there all day.

I’ve been on Royal Caribbean but never to Coco Cay. It seems very confusing! ...all the different areas, water park, cabanas etc. I was looking at the cabanas but they only allow 10 and we have 11 people (9 adults and 2 teenagers). Any suggestions of what to do, where to plan to hang out, something we should reserve??

With the cabanas, they are fairly strict on numbers. But if you get there early enough you will have no problem finding enough chairs to have a "home base" for everyone to sit when they want. The water park is extra and anyone going in needs to pay, even if you are just watching your kids (shouldn't be an issue with teens).
However, there is plenty to do without the waterpark. There are several pools and beaches that are great fun and no extra fee. For a nominal fee ($15 I think) my daughter and I rented snorkel gear and snorkeled the shipwrek in the cove that is there. We saw a ton of fish and had a great time.
All that to say, while there are things you can reserve ahead of time, you should not have an issue even if you don't reserve anything. Coco Cay has plenty of free space available if you just want to play it by ear.

We've only stopped at Coco Cay once. We aren't really beach people. All we did was to get off the ship and do some shopping at the various stalls there. Then we had lunch and went back to the ship.

The waterpark is a lot of fun. I feel like they overcharge a bit compared to waterparks on land... But it is really nice.

We love going there. It is just the two of us most of the time however so we don't do Cabanas. I am posting a video link that is very informative about everything at CoCo Cay.

It is really not necessary to have a cabana here. There is so much to do and you may find it easier to move around throughout the day. I was here during a busy Christmas cruise and never had an issue finding a spot to drop our stuff. I didn't know if you were aware, but if your teens are 14 or older then you can buy them the waterpark pass without having an adult accompany them. My kids took off for the water slides and there was no way I was keeping up with them climbing all those stairs for hours! They can go in and out of the park easily. Both times we have been here, it was too windy to really snorkel so I wouldn't rent equipment in advance (we brought my kids equipment, which you can also do). Many of the other activities were cancelled for wind including the hot air balloon rides and zip lines (I didn't think this was worth the cost). The food service begins at 10:30 (at least at the Snack Shack, not sure how early for the buffet area) and it was great! Even in September, the water park water and pool was FREEZING cold! The ocean was warmer for both of our trips here. Crossing my fingers our 2 trips planned in 2021 that both include stops here happen!

I realize I can look at a map or find a youtube video but seeing if can get a quicker answer here:

My kids are planning to stay most of the time at CocoCay in the water park. My wife and I will be in the CocoCay Beach club. We'd likely aim to meet up at different points of the day but the kids will not have access to the Beach Club. If my wife and I don't have water park tickets, can we still enter the park (and just not go on the ride/slides?) Or will we be denied access altogether?

I realize I can look at a map or find a youtube video but seeing if can get a quicker answer here:

My kids are planning to stay most of the time at CocoCay in the water park. My wife and I will be in the CocoCay Beach club. We'd likely aim to meet up at different points of the day but the kids will not have access to the Beach Club. If my wife and I don't have water park tickets, can we still enter the park (and just not go on the ride/slides?) Or will we be denied access altogether?

You’ll be denied. They have a point of entry and no one goes further without a bracelet.

We've gotten Cabanas in both Labadee and Cocoa Cay. We loved the service and Cabanas in Labadee. Not so much in Cocoa Cay. They were not enforcing the Wrist bands the day we were there and there was a
Cabana directly next to us overloaded with people and in the water in front of the Cabanas. It took us over 2 hours to get drinks delivered and the music was blaring from their radio they brought with them.
Not the relaxing day we had planned for our Anniversary, but the island itself was very nice. The Cabana beach area is not that large. We did enjoy the water slides. We were there on the first "Night Party".
Fireworks and evening activities were great. I just wouldn't rent a Cabana there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!