Need advice for those of you who excercise "first thing in the morning"

panfan

DIS Veteran
Okay guys.....I have managed one week and 1/2 with excercising every day except last Sat and Tuesday.....Which by the way is pretty good for me!

Anyway....ideally, I would like to start getting up earlier and getting it done first thing in the morning instead of TRYING to carve out an extra hour or so during my normal busy day. I have been fitting it in ....but not the same time each day and I know I will easily slip if this continues!

How do you all get the motivation to just get up ?? And once you do ....what is the routine ?? I mean...do you literally just get out of bed....put on the sneakers and "go to town" ?? These questions may seem stupid , I know but I just envy you and want to know how to do it ...lol! The couple of times in the past that I have tryed this...I was just so sleepy the whole time! Does that go away as your body gets used to the routine??

Also....the other road block I have is that on the weekends I work long hours and am up at 4:30 or 5 am for work . So during the week I feel "I deserve" to sleep in a little . But there is NO reason why I can't get up an hour earlier! Even during the week when I work nights....I am home by 9:00.

Also ....for those of you who might get up at 5-6am to excercise....what time do you go to bed ??

Sorry so long.....just looking for a little advice!

Thanks!:sunny:

Right now I have plenty of time to work out after work, but last year I would go to the gym before my 8:15 classes. Everyday I would wake up, wash my face (to help liven me), eat a piece of fruit on my way to the gym, work out, shower, eat some real food and head off to class. So I guess basically I would just get up put my shoes on and "go to town." My roomates all thought I was crazy, but it's nice to get the gym over in the morning if you can. At least now I can watch Oprah while I run, so I"m entertained!

BTW I also find it incredibly hard to stick to an exercise plan if its not a daly routine. And as for the weekends, sleep in. Just work out as soon as you get up and get it over with!

I do the same routine almost every day (Mon-Fri)

I'm lucky enough to be a SAHM, so once I get up, I throw on my workout gear, get kids up and once I drop kids off at school, I head to Lady Fitness for an hour to 2 hour workout. I know most people don't have that much time, but I get it in when I can.

I feel if I don't get it in first thing in the morning, I don't have time (or the energy) to do it later.

I typically take the weekends off, since I'm already working out 5 days. Try and find a schedule that works and do it at the same time as much as you can.

DS & I get up at 6am to get DS to the bus for 7am
Once I return I have 2 full hrs before I need to leave for work. That's when I get my 1/2hr outside walk, shower, get myself ready, etc

Right now I'm not working but when I was I was getting up at 6am to do an hour workout, then I'd have breakfast, shower, dress and head to work. It was so hard to do it. I was usually in bed by 10:30pm.

Right now I'm not working so I have it a little easier but I still get up pretty early, for me. I get up between 7-7:30am, have breakfast and then walk for an hour and usually follow that up with 30 or more minutes of weights, abs and various other exercises. :)

Ideas for those of us that have to go to work. My phone rings at 6:15am for my subbing assignment so I can't go to a gym in the am. I have to be at the school by 8:00 sometimes earlier......

I am done by 3:15 so I am seriously considering after school......

HELP NEED IDEAS!!

Have a magical Disney Day!!::MickeyMo :sunny:

My sister is a high school French teacher. Up until this year....she has NEVER excercised. We started in the summer together and she had such great results and the motivation to keep it going. She has a 1 1/2 year old ds so once she gets home from work ....she is very busy. Her DH really no help:(
Anyway....she has been getting up at 5 am everymorning to do her workout. I am so proud of her....She works out , gets the baby ready for daycare and heads out the door all before 6:30 am!

I need some of THAT motivation!

I did get up at 6am this morning by the way....and got the workout it!

ZerasPride....where are you ?? I know you get up early to workout if I remember correctly-:sunny:

Hmmm., I'd also like to hear from more people who have to leave the house for work. I would like to exercise in the A.M. also but have resigned myself to the fact that it just ain't gonna work for me. I already get up at 4:40 a.m. just to get out the door for work. If I got up earlier to exercise, I'd be getting up in the middle of the night!!!

I'm another morning exerciser... yep, I pretty much get up, use the bathroom, put on my workout clothes, and get out on the road for my morning jog around my neighborhood, about 8 minutes after I wake up. Sometimes I'm a little sleepy, but the run definitely wakes me up, and my body is used to it.

I like to exercise first thing in the morning, because I feel good knowing I have done my workout for the day. From the beginning, I decided to get up early and workout first thing, so that no other time commitments in my life could get in the way of my commitment to a healthier life. It's not always fun to get up early, but it's always worth it when I get back home, sweaty but ready to start another healthy day.

I definitely believe that having a regular workout schedule helps me make the time to exercise - I don't look at it as an "option", but as something I have to do each morning. I have to admit, sometimes that's the only thing that gets me going some mornings... but at least I get out there.

I get up at 5:15 each morning (sometimes 5:00), and I try to get to bed around 9:30, although sometimes it's closer to 10-10:30 because of rehearsals or other meetings in the evening. On the weekends, I usually sleep in until 8:00, and try to get at least 8 hours each night.

Good luck!

I have a question for those of you who get up extra early to walk or jog outdoors. Do you feel secure doing that alone in the dark, or do you normally work out with a buddy?

This was a great interesting thread. :) I really need to start getting up in morning to do workout. I had planned to start this week in spite of the holiday but came down with tummy bug and was really not up to doing anything.

I have trouble sleeping, so if I'm up at 5:30 I head out to the gym for a class. I'll have a cup of green tea and sometimes a yogurt before I go. The green tea definitely helps.

When I work out at home, which is rare, I do literally roll out of bed, put on my sneakers and go. I usually go to be around 9:30 p.m.

I am glad that I read this post. I used to get up early and before I moved away from the bed I was putting on my workout clothes. I would get me a quick sip of coffee and was on the treadmill. I haven't been exercising for a while now as my motivation to get up and get going hasn't been there. After reading all of your replies, I am remembering how I used to do it and that is why I was doing it first thing in the morning. Thanks for the reminder that I can do it if I set my mind to it. I have an appointment with my TM first thing in the morning.

I'm here! I was on vacation and am just reading through all the threads. Like other early morning exercisers have mentioned, I get my booty out of bed (after having the daily, you deserve a rest so sleep in late argument I have between my mind and body), put on my work out stuff and head with one eye closed downstairs with my Firm fanny lifter. Once I splash some water on my face and get through the warm up, I'm okay. It wasn't easy at first and getting up at 5:15 in the morning when I don't really have to get up until a little after 6:00 was hard in the beginning. Now it's second nature. Even on vacation.

When I was at Hilton Head last week, I was up and working out between 9 and 10 every morning. I just couldn't lay in bed longer than that. Don't feel sorry for me though because I took daily afternoon naps to make up for getting up early on vacation and working out. :D

I am enjoying the results I see so much that I couldn't imagine not being willing to give up an extra 30-60 minutes of sleep to see my body changing the way it is. The compromise I make with myself is a nice hardy breakfast after my work out and limiting my work outs to 30-40 minutes during the work week. I work out 7 days per week and on days when I just don't "feel" like working out, I do an easier Firm cardio tape to give myself a break. I appreciate this thread because I see that I need to get to bed a lot earlier than 11:30 or midnight. I might find I'm less tired in the mornings. Thanks guys for the suggestions! :flower1:

I wake up early to exercise--when I was treadmilling it--I would try to wake up early enough before the kids woke up. I just don't like exercising later in the day--b/c it is too easy to not do it for me.

I have waken up as early as 4:30am.

I have run in the dark--but I prefer not to...I stagger my starting times and after a few days, I will switch my path. That is the way to stay safe. When I get scared, I will say some hail mary's and our father's (essentially praying the rosary)--that keeps the fear away for me. I stay on my guard, I wear lights--one clipped in front--usually to my bra strap--one clipped in back--in a mesh pocket of my shorts or clipped to my fanny pack. I always carry my cell phone in the dark (should be every time no matter the time of day, but I often forget in daylight). I have gotten my phone ready to dial 911 a few times where a car was doing something I wasn't sure of...dialed in the 911 and finger on the send button. Never had to press it. I live in a pretty safe place, these are just all pre-cautionary things that I have done. I also let my husband know my path as well and the approximate finishing time of my run. It is best to do all of this in an area that you know is safe--but don't take it for granted..have your cell phone--light colored clothing--flashing lights or whatever. Carry identification (I forget this all of the time!!) with you--and have a plan for if something happens. I plan on dialing 911--and kicking off my shoes (crazy--but at least it leaves behind a clue) and screaming bloody well murder. To ease the fears I continue to pray if I am bothered by something that is benign.

I am training for a marathon--and the runs are just too long to do on the treadmill now. So I have to run out in the dark. My schedule is contingent on his schedule--so my motivation to get up early is so that it is done before he has to go to work.

Like the Nike commercials say, "Just Do It." At first it is hard, but after time, if you are truly motivated (and you will be) you will find it is harder to skip a workout. I work out Mon-Wed-Fri at 5:30 am (I lift, so I give the muscles a break every other day to heal/grow).

DisDee said:
I have a question for those of you who get up extra early to walk or jog outdoors. Do you feel secure doing that alone in the dark, or do you normally work out with a buddy?

Sometimes malls open early to allow walkers to exercise within their lighted confines. Those who are concerned with safety could check out those in their area to see if this is a feasible option.

Have a magical day!

DH gets up around 4:00 as he has to be at work by 5:00. I get up and make us smoothies while he showers. He leaves around 4:30, then I lay around for another half hour usually reading. Get up and take a shower (yes I shower before going to the gym because I wash my hair then). I hit the gym (drink my smoothie on the way to the gym), work out for about an hour, get ready in the locker room and head to work (I have to be at work by 8:00. I usually am early).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter