Natural gas barbeques

hockey mom

<font color=coral>Loves to do the Napkin Dance at
It's grilling season again and we are in the market for a new BBQ. I am tired of DH coming in with that look on his face when he has run out of propane half way through so I was thinking of hooking one up to our gas line. Anyone have one of these? Do you like it? Are they expensive? TIA.

We've had one for the last 9 years and we LOVE it. We'd never go back to propane...it always ran out when we had company. :crazy: I don't really know the prices off hand but I don't think they're much more than propane ones. It's definitely the way to go...you'll love it. :)

Our Vermont Castings bbq is hooked up to our gas line. We love it! :)

The bbq's aren't that much more expensive than the propane models, and not having to run out for a propane refill is well worth the extra expense, IMO.

Make sure you have a licensed gas fitter hook it up. Your local utility company (is it Consumer's Gas for you?) will be able to help you out. It could cost anywhere from $100 - $200 for the hook-up, depending on how far they have to extend the gas line.

Go for it!! :) :)

Thanks Snowark and Disneylisa. Yes we are with consumer gas and I think they have a show room so I will have to get down and check it out after my trip.

We've had ours for about 10 years-use it summer and winter and will never go back to propane.

Hi hockey mom,
After my old bar b que more or less gave up I deceided to buy a gas one and have never regretted it. I bought the bar b que at home depot and had a local installer put in the piping from the line to the furnance. Only one suggestion, I was given a price and did not get it in writing, more fool me, and of course the price was higher by almost eighty dollars after. Well I had planned to use this company for furnace and AC maintenance but after that I changed my mind and if any one ever asks me about them I tell them what happened. I figure in the long run, I may not have got the difference back but they sure lost it in other work!!
Its so nice not have to lug big tanks around.:D

Installers do vary-Best price we got was $120 for running pipe from meter to back yard and two shut off valves.

Thanks everyone. That's not bad to have it installed, for some reason I thought they were alot more expensive.

The actual BBQ's are a little more expensive than the propane but for the convenience it is well worth it. Now we never run out of "gas" part way through cooking a steak. LOLb

Just a quick note. Enbridge(formerly Consumers Gas) does not install any household appliances anymore. You will need to contact Direct Energy (usually more expensive) or a licenced gas fitter. As for the BBQ'S themselves they are usually about $50 more expensive than the comparable propane models. This is a simple installation and will be well orth the money.

Expect to pay $100-$200 for installation depending on the distance from your nearest gas connection.

Please remember the little known fact that a BBQ is required to be a minimum of 3m from your house.

Happy Grilling.

Martin22

(Licenced Gas Inspector for Enbridge)

Thanks Martin, you just saved me a trip to Consumers gas.

Natural gas has many benefits. First of all, depending on where you live it can be much cheaper, as much as a third the price of propane for each BTU.:surfweb:

-------------------
simplybarbeques.co.uk

We had a Napoleon gas grill at our old house. Great to never run out! We decided on a Weber propane this time. We always have a back up tank in case we run out, but it is still a pain to go get it filled. I forget at this time how much a gas line cost to run one (as there wasn't one in this house). Only advantage I see to propane would be being able to move your grill around your yard, or if you ever have to take it anywhere. I've never done either!:)

Only in Ontario would we call late december grilling season. :rotfl2:

Sorry it made me giggle.

Every friend I have that went to natural gas loves loves loves it.

Wow - gotta look pretty far back to bring up a thread from 2004!

One negative to point out...

Not to say that I would ever do this :rolleyes1 BUT if you were to accidentally leave a burner on for oh, say, 3 days without noticing you might find a surprisingly large gas bill at the end. At least a propane tank will run out after it burns up the $10 of fuel!

But otherwise, have had natural gas for about 7 years. Love it. Gas BBQ's are generally about $50 more than their propane cousins because of the different jetting and hook-ups. Having a gas line run to your grilling location can be expensive. You pay by the foot, and every fitting (elbow, etc) is considered an additional foot. Our line ran about $500 for installation.

The best part is that December/January really is BBQ season when the gas is always available. Tomorrow night's New Year's Day feast is BBQ beef tenderloin steaks with sauteed mushrooms, Ceasar salad and baked potatoes. Yum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!