National Halloween Petition Letter

lol at the parents/guardians who think I’m going to clear my weekend plans to hand out treats every year.

I have no kids, and I love handing out treats. (Last year was root beer and Capri Sun and candy bars.) But if the option is a great Halloween event or passing out candy on a weekend, I won’t be home. I’m much more likely to be home during the week since I have work the next day and won’t want to party too late.

Yes but in many areas kids will egg those houses or cause other problems.
Kids that egg usually pre target the house because they don't like the kids or the adults within rather than not handing out treats. Not that goody little two shoes me would ever know a thing about it....

I really think we should move away from the whole idea of trick or treating. We just don't know who is behind the door at strangers' homes and I just don't think it is a safe way for kids to get more candy than they need. I also don't like that people are expected to buy candy and treats for kids they don't know or risk having their property damaged by disgruntled youth. Maybe it's time to eliminate the trick or treating part of the holiday and leave it to people and communities to organize their own celebrations. If we did this, it wouldn't matter what day it was.
If you don't want to hand out treats, you simply leave your light off. And if you don't want your kids going around, you simply don't take them. But why spoil everyone else's fun that wants to?

Kids that egg usually pre target the house because they don't like the kids or the adults within rather than not handing out treats. Not that goody little two shoes me would ever know a thing about it.... If you don't want to hand out treats, you simply leave your light off. And if you don't want your kids going around, you simply don't take them. But why spoil everyone else's fun that wants to?

Here's the thing. My daughter is an adult but as a child she only went to a handful of houses that we knew and so that's not an issue for us anymore. We also live on a small cul de sac that is off a road with only 3 houses and a cemetery. We rarely get more than a handful of kids, almost none that we know. However we know people that get hundreds of kids every year, most driven in from other communities because at one time someone promoted their neighborhood as the place to go for Halloween. Not only is it a financial burden, but also a physical one because it is difficult for them to constantly answer the bell. In that neighborhood turning off the lights is no guarantee that you will be left alone and kids cause mischief. Maybe things are more reasonable in your area, but it isn't in all areas. My sister lives in a town where they designate the last Saturday for trick or treating and only for certain hours. It is much more manageable for the residents. This is why I don't think the federal government should be involved at all and that local communities should decide what is right for them.

Instead of spending $$ on gas, you'd think the parents would just go buy candy and call it a night.

You mean like my husband does? Bahahaha. He always buys the candy he likes because he knows we only get a handfull of trick or treaters in our neighborhood. Actually, I don't think we even had one last year! They were all in the rich neighborhood with their parents driving behind them :)

There’s a wealthy development near us that WANTS to be known as the trick or treating place where all the kids go. They actually hire police each year to direct traffic. They all decorate their properties lavishly and only hand out king sized candy. I think how much different our simple trick or treating was 50 years ago but I remember we had the best fun. My trick or treating years were approximately 1965-1973. We stopped around 8th grade.

Last edited:
Fine. Change trick-or-treating to a Saturday. I most likely won't be home to hand out treats. We only get 7 or 8 kids anyway.

These trivial "change" petitions are always good for a few laughs.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter