My thoughts on pros and cons of Second Seating

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Tim3888, Mar 13, 2019.

1. dcassetta

dcassetta DIS Veteran

I just don’t see how Disney will do anytime dining unless the new ships have a completely different format to their MDR‘s. It’s really not possible to walk into Tiana's , or AP anytime you want. Cabanas at night is the closest thing that they have to anytime dining. But, it’s not available every night, and it’s also not possible for everyone to dine there.

2. cgolf

cgolf DIS Veteran

They could do My Time, which is where you reserve a time and go at that time, for example 6 one night and 7 a different night because you had a late excursion. They would just have to set aside some tables to do this. Seeing how many people rolled in late every night for early dining, this may help out some families and the servers that struggle to get the late arrivals out on time. I agree though that anytime dining wouldn't work, the reservation system would be needed so they could plan ahead. On RCCL and Celebrity we set our reservation times for each night before we ever set foot on the ship.

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

4. freshmanjs

freshmanjs DIS Veteran

Not being critical - but curious. How does this work? In our family, there is never a day when I'm done working before 6 or where the kids are done with after school activities and homework by 6. i can't imagine how eating at that time would be possible, even if we wanted to do it.

5. dad of 3 addicted to DCL

dad of 3 addicted to DCL Waiting for July

I think that there is also a diversity of meal time needs based on the kids' ages. Our 3 are now teens and we eat much later without the requisite meltdowns they had as elementary school aged kids. Also, they're more self-aware of their bodies and are able to either feed themselves (via quick serve) or speak up so that my wife and/or I can get them fed if we're out and about. That's our experience

TestingH2O likes this.
  6. cgolf

cgolf DIS Veteran

My work schedule is 7 to 3:30 with some work at home at night and my wife either got done with work at 3 or 5:30 and on her late nights I would have supper ready before she got home a little before 6. We also have always gone out to restaurants early so we didn’t have to wait for a table. My daughter was not into sports so that helped too. She was in band and performed in the school musicals in high school. It’s not for everyone, but works great for us. In fact our favorite restaurant has a happy hour till 6 where we get 3$ old fashioned and 2$ orders of cheese curds:)

freshmanjs likes this.
  7. lilsonicfan

lilsonicfan <font color=teal>The TF knows Canada VERY well!!<b

We are from the west coast, so if sailing from the east coast, early dining seems impossibly early to me (we are also used to eating later, around 7-7:30 usually). That said I have early dining for our EBTA and contemplating switching, esp. since with all of the time changes we will be eating earlier and earlier every day.

YawningDodo likes this.
  8. sunmoon620

sunmoon620 Mouseketeer

Don't miss out on the Dining room experience if this is your first cruise! It is fabulous!

9. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

I always ask folks trying to decide which seating they want, what time do they normally eat dinner at home, AND what time to they typically eat dinner while on a non-cruise vacation.
    I was on vacation last week, away from home for 4 nights and never ate before 7 pm, one night now until 10 pm because we were so busy doing things.
    When my kids were home, and they were involved in after school sports, dinner was never before 630 pm during soccer season, and sometimes as late at 9 pm during Little League season.
    Now that my kids are grown, for the first time in 30 years, we do eat dinner at home at 5 pm.

Having said that, in 10 cruises, we have always had late seating. Just so much more relaxed that having to be ready by 5 pm. We also lean towards late morning, or afternoon excursions. We are on vacation, and we are looking to relax. Our kids were 12 and 16 on our Disney cruise. We never in bed on the ship before 1 am. At least one night there was an encore, late performance of a show, but other than that, our after dinner routine typically involved handing out on the deck, playing shuffle board and basketball, or just standing at the bow of the ship, in the wind, watching the stars, and the lights from islands in the distance.

Jillian757 and sumismommy like this.
  10. jalapeno_pretzel

jalapeno_pretzel DIS Veteran

Looking forward to trying late coming up. Our first and only has been with the early time, and it was really just too early for us. I am looking forward to using the pools while so many others are at the early dining.

11. bcwife76

bcwife76 DisneyMomma

We have always chosen late/second seating and could never do early/main. We eat dinner later at night at home anyway (I mean, not usually 8:30!, but hardly ever before 7pm). It just works for our family and we've been cruising with our kids since they were 7 & 4. The only time it 'backfired' was our very first cruise where our youngest fell asleep at the very first dinner, but was wide awake for the rest of the dinners. And then when we did Alaska again it seemed to affect our youngest and 2 out of 7 dinners she was conked out before the main entree lol In general though our kids seem to be night owls and our youngest (who is now 8 1/2) can outlast my husband and I some nights (if we let her lol).

12. Lisa F

Lisa F is a very wise woman

main for us. we eat at 6:30 at the latest at home and would end up hangry or eating too much. I just don't like eating dinner late at night either. There are some pros to it but the cons WAY outweigh them for me. And I guess I am in the majority.

13. Amunet

Amunet DIS Veteran

Wow, thank you so much for this! I've only sailed as two adults, so we prefer 2nd dining so we can have our own table. We are night owls too. Though, hearing about other experiences with a bit more detail is quite helpful.
    We are planning on doing a DCL wedding and this helps with figuring out what Dining to recommend

14. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

We always prefer late dining. 5:45 is way too early when we are on vacation. We are from the East Coast. When we recently brought our grandkids ages 3,3 and 1 we still opted for late dining. The two three year olds are all about the princesses and love all the Disney songs from the Disney movies so the shows thrilled them. We knew they would love the shows and we much preferred for them to be awake to enjoy them than falling asleep at them. We didn't care if they fell asleep at dinner. A few nights they went to the club with the counselors when they came around to the dining rooms.

It is all personal preference.

MJ

closetmickey likes this.
  15. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

Just keep in mind that roughly half the ship also has second dining, so the pools may not be totally empty.

16. Lisa F

Lisa F is a very wise woman

they do, but there are also shows and I can tell you even in a resort town where the beaches are crazy all summer, I can get parking if I go around 3 in the summer and the beaches are pretty empty, it is still very warm with nice water and sunny til late. The pools may not be EMPTY but it is definitely not a prime time for swimming no matter what seating you have.

closetmickey likes this.
  17. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

You did your homework, and that is what you have to do to figure out what will be best for you. But I'd totally don't get the draw of Early Seating. I'm on vacation, we might make it to breakfast about 930 am and lunch about 230 pm, so 815 pm is a little early too! My kids had been on one cruise before we cruised Disney, and one of their few disappointments on Disney was the lack of a Midnight buffet!

18. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

Oh, I would assume they would be less crazy - I don’t do pools as they skeeve me out, especially on ships, so I have never been up there (I also like the shows and will not miss the Disney ones) - but just as the ship will not be empty on Nassau Day, I would expect that the pools while definitely less busy are not empty.

19. cadien

cadien DIS Veteran

That's a good point. We ran into that on our first cruise because we didn't order every course but the people we shared the table with did. But on this last one, we happened to be seated alone most nights and then we received everything promptly and wrapped up sooner.

20. lolomarie

lolomarie Mouseketeer

We have young kids, 4 and 1, and we eat at 5:30. Work from 7-3:30, home by 4:15, eat at 5:30. Baby is in bed by 6:30, boy by 7.

We're hoping for main dining.

21. doublesided

doublesided Mouseketeer

We won't have a choice if we aren't switched to main unfortunately. There's no way I'm putting my son through the ups and downs of blood sugar issues with changing mealtime that drastically. Hoping for some magic at the last minute.