My son brought tears to my eyes, and Dad's

That is the inner struggle I am dealing with. Mine are almost 8 and 9. I am trying to skip next year, not out of want but more so need and the whole house is pushing to go back. DH keeps reminding me they are already growing up too fast-is a year worth it??

OP You made me cry. Very sweet story. I want to tell you about my family. We've been going forever and my kids are now 23 and 27. When they were young I always thought that the magic would stop and it always made me sad. Well, as another poster said, things change but the magic never stops. We now do more adult stuff. Yes the characters stop (although I have been known to get a picture with Mickey now and then!), but there is so much more. I think in a way I am enjoying this time more. We love our dinners every night. It is one of the highlights of our trips. We sit and talk and talk and talk and really take our time eating and enjoying each other's company. We've done drinks at Epcot and have tried different bars at the resorts. My kids are into different kinds of wine at the moment and they have done wine tasting at different countries. We never get up early and usually stay in a villa so we have breakfast together and plan our day. I have two neices and a nephew who grew up on Disney too and they are in their teens and twenties and still enjoy going. IMHO I think that kids who grow up with Disney always enjoy the magic. Yes it will be different, but it will still be magically.

Enjoy The Magic!!

When we first went to WDW in 1979, our first son was only 2. Now we have three grown children who are all married, giving us 6 grandkids. If anything, our children love Disney even more now, and it's wonderful going with grandkids!

My Grand daughter is now 5 (the only girl in a long line of boys)

Disney has been our thing since she was born. My family tries to prepare me for when she gets older and not into disney.
and I will not believe them- because we "talk" about the magic so I BELIEVE she will BELIEVE forever-- :banana:

Just want to add that it goes by way too fast. We went in 2005, 2009, 2011. I have a slide show of our trips on my computer at work. My little boys from 2005, are young men in the 2011 pics and I am wearing the same shorts:rotfl2:

You know, that's EXACTLY the reaction every parent hopes for when they take their child to Disney ! :lovestruc that was so beautiful.

It's so wonderful to hear that the magic is still there at 11..... I love it ! Our DD was 4.5 when we went last year for her first time. it was pure magic. everything was exciting and brand new and she was in awe of everything. (I cried most of the whole trip just watching how she was seeing everything !!) :lmao: We're going again in 2013 and she's going to be almost 7.5. You have given me hope that it's going to be magical still...just a different magical.

Now go give your sweet boy a BIG HUG !! he's a doll !!!!!! It's clear you have alot of love in your home if he's got that much love for your family vacation. That speaks volumes to you and your husband as parents. :love:

Love this! Thank You! You guys are right, it will just turn into a different kind of love. We kept telling both of our boys during this trip, one year, when you are here with your own families, you will have tons of memories of your family vacations with us, and you will tell your children, "I remember when I did this with my Mom and Dad" And God willing, we can all sometimes take a Disney trip together in the future, with grandbabies :goodvibes

We have 3 sons, and each trip to Disney holds its own magic. As they have grown, all three have mantained their love of WDW, and each wanted that as their graduation trip, from HS, from College, and in the case of my oldest son, even when he graduated Marine Officer Canidate school.:goodvibes Now we have a huge trip planned in January, each brother wanting to include the wives, girlfriends and children of the others. That's what Family memories are made of. Different, but still MAGICAL!!!:wizard:

Well....My wife, 3 daughters and I went for the 1st time in '94..

The girls were 13, 11 and 7...we loved it!!!

Many Cheerleading competitions followed at MGM, EPCOT and WW of Sports...feeding our love for WDW

In '08 we all went back..accompanied by son in laws and our 4 month old grandson...We loved it more!!

Next year..we will add another son in law and 2 more grandsons to the trip..

My kids have grown to love WDW more every single time we have gone..

And now with the grandkids we can see the joy that we have felt through all these years in new, very young eyes...

The magic of Disney has no age limitations and no expiration date..

This is what I look forward to in the future with our dd!!! thanks for sharing!

;) I love it...once Mickey's magic is in your heart, some part of it stays there forever. My parents are going with us is 2 1/2 weeks. It will be their first stay in a Deluxe resort and MNSSHP. I can't wait. It is cool being able to ride EE at 42 with your Dad who is 73 and loves it. I have to watch my Mama 68 as she walks because she is looking up and out at everything--she was talking about seeing Divine again at lunch today. She told a friend about her and they looked her up on a recent trip. Friend thought she was incredible.

My parents could not afford a trip to Disney when my brother and I were growing up. I can remember asking but they explained why we couldn't and I understood. Instead they were saving money for college for my brother and I. I am a nurse and my brother a Nurse Practioner. So now DH and I have DVC and I love sharing every minute of that with them and DH's Mom. It is a small thing but just knowing that I can provide them with a studio looking out over a svanna of animals is wonderful. After all if it weren't for them--I wouldn't be able to do that at all.

Great story and thanks for sharing. Do not fear, DD 17 and DS 14 after 12 WDW visits still light up when they see a favorite character and run to get in line. With so much to see and do at WDW this past summer DS said on more than one occasion, we ate there b-4? we did that b-4? so they just keep having new memories. DS does biography assingments on Walt Disney and wants to be an Imagineer and honeymoon at WDW - he better find a disfan :woohoo:

Everyone is different but based on our family experience your son will someday tell you that he is sad that it is his last time at WDW as a 16 year old.

I know what you mean but sitting on the shore of the World Showcase Lagoon sipping on a cold one with my twenty somethings is a pretty sweet Disney experience as well.

Don't lose hope!!

Understand that renting the ski-jets or doing a fishing excursion, spending an entire day at DQuest, golfing at one of the courses or just hanging out at the pool will replace character breakfasts and tamer rides.

My DS18 hasn't been to WDW since 06- other activities and a new job last summer were more important but he;s never said "no Disney anymore".

I just regret I never got him there for ESPN weekend:sad2:

We are planning our 8th Disney trip for January 2013. It will be our 6th as DVC members and we have taken all with 3 generations.

My parents and in-laws who are in there 70's now. My wife and I who are in our 40's and my children who are 20 and 21.

When we decided to go again the "old" folks all said yes. I asked my kids if they wanted to go. They looked at me like I was crazy...... why would we think the DIDN'T want to go.

The beauty of it all is that there is something there for all "kids" as they grow. My kids love the freedom they have had the last few trips to do things on their own. They've transitioned from the kiddie stuff to the things that teens like to do and my wife an I let them have their freedom. They don't feel like we're dragging them along and I think that goes a long way with teens.

Anyway, I think it's normal for all parents of young kids to think things will change and won't be the same. When my kids were 11 I couldn't have ever believed that they would be driving 5 years later. But there they were at 16 behind the wheel and it didn't seem that weird. Just let time takes it's course and go along for the ride. As most people here have experienced you may be surprised at how things turn out.

Wow! Thanks for all the kind words, and great stories!
If my boys are anything like their Dad and me, they will be Disney Fans for life :lovestruc
They went back to school today after a long vacation week my ds11 told me he had "seperation anxiety" today, he loved being with us all day and nite while on vacation
And yes, I gave my sweet boy a hug :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter