My ing account was stolen from :sad2:

Moving banks won't really get you any more protection. These kinds of errors happen frequently and can happen at any bank or credit union. It's a simple matter of the person on the other end providing the wrong number or someone typing it wrong. Happens all the time.

Unless your bank pays better interest rates, you might as well stay with ING. This isn't their fault and they are resolving it for you, so they're doing what they're supposed to.

Exactly.

My aunt uses the same bank that her payroll check comes from. One day when she made a deposit of her paycheck, then went to withdrawl the money, they accidentally withdrew the money from the payroll account rather than hers.
Of course, since it's a large corporation, there's some one at the bank that monitors the account. They called up the branch to let them know of the mistake. Well the bank then decided they needed to correct it, on top of the person that found the mistake. It wasn't an extreme amount of money, but a huge pain to make things right again.

I wanted to type this right after you posted, but i was rushing out the door. this happens a lot in 'banking'.

sometimes 'extra' money shows up in our accounts and sometimes 'less'

it's administrative erros as usual. GOOD THOUGHT TO WATCH ALL THE ACCOUNTS carefull. you never know.

How very true. My women's group at church , had an empty account , we thought closed years ago. We got info in the last week that we had 50,000 sitting in it and then when we checked this week there was over 500 k in it .

After doing checking around the money was from a relief fund that was to go into another church account for the entire state. The money was wired in and some how someone just saw the word Episcopal and put it in our account . CRAZY !!!! I was astonished someone could make such a large mistake.

This exact same thing happened to my ING account last year. It was exactly as you said. Someone was trying to transfer money and typed in my account number by accident. While it was very frustrating and upsetting, I have to say the people at ING were great. The money was actually back in my account that same day. We have not had any problems since. I hope you get your money back as fast as we did!

It also takes time for the money to move. It is pulled and waits a day then is sent and waits a day and then your bank acknowledges it (usually 3 full business days). So if you called them when the email that said the transfer had been requested then it is likely the money was still sitting at ing... I have to say i have an ing account and am not too happy this was such an easy mistake for someone to make....

Are you SURE the emails are legit - and not one that was trying to get you to panic and click through to enter your pin????

That's what I was thinking. Wasn't what happened I guess, but definitely what I wondered! :)

I'm thinking about changing the accounts to my main bank though.

If your main bank is the credit union mentioned, since they do have interest bearing accounts for kids (and adults, but adults have to keep that extra 5 bucks in there), why not move it over there? Assuming you have a local branch nearby, it can feel better to do business with someone right in front of you...that's my opinion at least.

Not that there's anythign wrong with ING, it definitely intrigues me and if I didn't have access to a credit union with interest even in a checking account I would definitely look into it. But if you do have access to accounts with interest for kids...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter