My First Trip Report! - "Escape from New York" - completed

Awesome job so far! We are from Southern Connecticut, and were up in Boston at the time. The next day, we were deciding wether to go home yet or stay another day. We decided to go home as most of the roads in Boston and Massachusetts were cleared. By the time we got to Connecticut, the roads were just finished getting cleared so we did good! Sorry you had to drive all the way down though.

Thanks for reading! DW's family is from the Bridgeport area, so we are up in CT several times a year to visit. Driving certainly wasn't the original plan, but as you read, we got there... eventually.

joining in... after our last winter I have fears this years trip might start like yours :scared1: fingers and toes crossed tightly it won't though sounds like you had an awful start

I'll keep mine crossed for you as well. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If I had it to do over again, I don't know if I could have done anything different, except getting out of the airport as soon as they canceled our flight. Live and learn, I guess. Thanks for reading!

Wow- what a gripping first trip report! I can't believe all of that happened. That was amazing that you didn't give up. I would have been devastated.

Thanks for reading! I hope the rest doesn't get too boring for you after all this excitement.

Yay! Y'all made it to WDW! :woohoo: Even though it took a lot longer than planned to get there, at least y'all made it safely. That's so cute that your daughter wouldn't give up either on getting there. Hope DW & DD didn't get sick while y'all were at Disney.

I just love that little girl to pieces. She is such a trooper... as you will see as we proceed...

By the way, just finished your TR. I know I posted on that thread, but wanted to say it again here so others might see it and go check it out. You did a great job! especially for anyone interested in DCL or anyone with a toddler.

I just love that little girl to pieces. She is such a trooper... as you will see as we proceed...

I know how you feel! I love my little man beyond what I could've ever imagined! She sure sounds like a trooper! I just hope she didn't get sick during the trip. :sad2:

By the way, just finished your TR. I know I posted on that thread, but wanted to say it again here so others might see it and go check it out. You did a great job! especially for anyone interested in DCL or anyone with a toddler.

I just got done catching up on responses on my TR. I'm so glad you enjoyed it & got some useful info for the Dream next summer. Y'all will have so much fun! I can't wait to go on another Disney cruise.

Thank you for all your kind words about my TR & for letting people on your own TR know about it. I was really unsure of whether or not I should write it, but I'm really glad I did. The feedback has been so nice & it's truly been a great experience getting to "know" the people following my report.

YEA for you ~ ya'll made it to Disney World!!! :cool1: Now that you are there, it HAS to get better, right??

I'll keep mine crossed for you as well. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If I had it to do over again, I don't know if I could have done anything different, except getting out of the airport as soon as they canceled our flight. Live and learn, I guess. Thanks for reading!

We're in Ireland so if they cancel our flight due to snow I will actually cry. Only bonus is we're flying later in the day this time. Last year though we had freak snow storms in November and December so most mornings the airport was closed while they tried and clear the runway and de-ice the planes.. I have no problem getting stuck in Florida just get me to Mickey's house first lol! :rotfl:

Hooray for making it to SSR!! I hope that you truly enjoyed it! Crossing my fingers that DD and DW aren't too seriously ill.

I'll be interested in hearing how bad the crowds were on NYE. I've heard that is the most crowded day of the year!

So glad you made it to Disney after all your trials!:cool1:

Can't wait to hear what you got up to :surfweb:

Can't wait to read more. Thanks for taking the time to post your trip report with us!!!

Thanks so much to you and everyone else for taking the time to read my TR!

YEA for you ~ ya'll made it to Disney World!!! :cool1: Now that you are there, it HAS to get better, right??

That's EXACTLY what I am thinking at this point in the vacation.

Wow what people will go throught to get to Disney...LOL. I right there with you ya.

I am happy to hear that people aren't chiming in with "forget that, I would have turned around and went home". If it had been a wedding, or just a trip to see relatives then yeah, I would SO be back at home and in bed. But we're talking disney here... so there was NO GIVING UP!!:earsboy:

We're in Ireland so if they cancel our flight due to snow I will actually cry.

Ireland? wow, that's cool. I've got some Irish heritage in my family. One day I hope to get over there.

I have no problem getting stuck in Florida just get me to Mickey's house first lol! :rotfl:

I KNOW! Why couldn't it have been the opposite way? Oh no! we can't go home! We're stuck in WDW, oh well, back to the parks! Maybe that can happen on our next trip!

Hooray for making it to SSR!! I hope that you truly enjoyed it! Crossing my fingers that DD and DW aren't too seriously ill.

I'll be interested in hearing how bad the crowds were on NYE. I've heard that is the most crowded day of the year!

Well, I think I'd rather be sick at WDW than be "well" anywhere else!!

DW is a teacher, so we always seem to be going at the peak times. We figured the crowds couldn't be any worse than when our last trip when we were there right before Easter.

Wow! That was quite the trek. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Thanks for reading. I promise you won't have to wait too long. I'll have the next update posted at some point today.

I am hooked. That was a horrible storm. I remember it cause we were stuck inside for a couple days and stuck in the snow when we started shoveling. Glad you made it to WDW!!

Wow! What a trip! Hope things turned better after you made it to SSR. Looking forward to reading more.

I am hooked. That was a horrible storm. I remember it cause we were stuck inside for a couple days and stuck in the snow when we started shoveling. Glad you made it to WDW!!

Wow! What a trip! Hope things turned better after you made it to SSR. Looking forward to reading more.

Señor DonDuck;42261820 said:
Wow. After that airport experience and drive down, I sure hope you also did not end up with sick family.

Thanks for reading! I'm burning the midnight oil to the get the next update out. Shouldn't be much longer now.

The Animal Kingdom

We were expecting the parks to be packed and the lines to be long for everything. And that was okay. Our previous trip was during Easter/Spring Break and we figured the crowds couldn't be much worse than that. With DW being pregnant, there were more than a few things she could not go on (some of which she'd never go on even when she wasn't pregnant). So we went into this trip knowing we wouldn't be able to see and do everything. And given how our trip had started, we were now even less motivated to push ourselves this first day.

There were EMH at the park that day from 7am-8am, and the park was open until 9pm. We had a rezzie for breakfast at Tusker House at 9:20. and a rezzie for dinner at Boma at the AKL at 7:05pm. But we slept in a little and didn't try to take advantage of the EMH. Before leaving SSR, we swung by Guest Services where I ran in and bought our park tickets. We had 5 days to spend, so I bought us 5-day tickets, but opted to not get the hopper option as our original plan had us doing 1 park each day. (this will be important later).

I may have forgotten to mention this, but we had the DDP now as well. We didn't originally get it because we didn't have the extra money to put out up front when we booked. But when our vacation was "rebooked" to push it back and add the extra day, I used the airline refund to buy the DDP.

DW and DD were both feeling worse. DW was now sniffling, sneezy, achy, and everything else. DD had been going through tissues like there was no tomorrow, and all under her nose was red as a result. She still had the cough too, which we were keeping and eye on, and for now, it sounded innocent. As for me, well, I had avoided getting whatever they had... until that morning. Now I wasn't feeling too hot either.

It was a cold morning (though warmer than home) and we all wore our coats to the park. It felt weird to be at WDW and wearing long sleeves, pants, and coats. DD was even wearing mittens!

Since we now had a car, we could drive ourselves over to the park. From looking at the parking lot and amount of people boarding the tram, the park didn't seem too crowded. We were arriving just before 9am, and when the tram pulled up and we disembarked, we got our first taste of WDW at christmastime.

DSC_0060.JPG

We spent some time looking at the AK christmas tree before heading into the park to get breakfast. We would ordinarily stop for a family picture with the Tree of Life, but I think because we were running a little late for our rezzie, and because none of us was feeling very photogenic, we bypassed the photo people and just headed for Tusker House.

When we checked in for breakfast, there was a bit of a wait. But they did have a CM serving hot chocolate to everyone!! And boy was it hot! DD was very impatient waiting for it to be cool enough to drink. But she was happy and not letting her cold get her down.

nPuZVqfa8suaD-r7_jUTKxz4x6Dtppbxk94hHYooj2E

Soon, they called for us to head in. We got our picture taken with Safari Donald before we entered.

DSC_0070.JPG

We were seated at a table, and our server asked what we wanted to drink. I told him to keep the juice coming! This is always my response to a cold. I try to overdose on orange juice and vitamin C. Almost instantly, Safari Daisy was upon us.

DSC_0072.JPG

Breakfast here is buffet style, so DW went up first to get food for herself and DD. DW returned and I went for my plate. My stomach was not up to eating too much, So I nibbled at my eggs, waffle and bacon and drank a lot of juice. The juice was really good. DW was able to eat more than me, she had the Mealie Pap porridge and said it was good. She even went back for more of it. DD ate mostly fruit. While we tried to enjoy breakfast, these characters kept interrupting.

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

Breakfast would have certainly been better had we all been 100%. We enjoyed seeing the characters in their safari gear. I think we'll do the Tusker House breakfast again sometime.

IMO, I think all the Character meals should come with a photo, and it should be included in the price. If not, then they should just have it be photopass like the rest of the park. I always find that moment when they come to your table and show you the photo and ask if you want to buy it to be very awkward. You have to stop eating, look at the picture, confer about it, and give them an answer on the spot. I know I am digressing here, but we did Akershus Princess dinner and the photo was included and it took away all that awkwardness. And if you didn't like the way your photo came out, they let you take another. (i saw another table do that). And some character meals like Crystal Palace at MK have no family picture as you enter.

Anyway, I am getting away from my story and I am sure there are threads about this already... so where were we?

After breakfast we decided to walk through the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail to see some animals. We couldn't do the safari since DW was pregnant, but we were on line for it briefly as we exited Tusker House. Yes, the line for the safari came all the way back to Tusker House. I'd never seen it that long, EVER. We fought our way through that crowd and up to the trail. Here are a couple of animals we saw.

DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0104.JPG

DSC_0105.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

After the pangani trail, we headed to see some our favorite animals, the tigers. On the way, DD stopped to play the drums. She can't walk past drums without wanting to play them! I think it was about 11am now, and it had warmed up a bit. DW and I were able to take off our coats. DD kept hers on a bit longer.

DSC_0108.JPG

027.JPG

I also stopped and took this pic of the Tree of Life.

DSC_0111.JPG

Next up was the Maharajah Jungle Trek. We love to see the tigers. More often than not, they are sleeping. But not this time.

029.JPG

031.JPG

032.JPG

DD and I also wanted to see the bats, but they were shy, and nowhere to be found.

After the jungle trek, we walked over to Dinoland to see if we could catch the Finding Nemo Show. On the way we passed by Expedition Everest. DW asked me if I wanted to try to sneak in a quick ride while they got on line for Nemo. But I just wasn't feeling up to it, :sick: so I opted out. EE is arguably my favorite ride at WDW, so DW knew I really must not have been feeling too hot to pass it up.

Finding%2520Nemo%25201.jpg

Finding%2520Nemo2.jpg

Finding%2520Nemo3.jpg

We love this show. The pictures above are frame grabs of the video I shot of the show. Here are links to the my video of the show on youtube:

Finding Nemo, the Musical Part 1
Finding Nemo, the Musical, Part 2
Finding Nemo, the Musical, Part 3

After Finding Nemo, we headed toward Camp Minnie-Mickey to see if we could meet some more characters. By the time we got down to the path leading to CM-M, we realized we didn't have time to go down and make it back for the parade. We opted for the parade, because we were definitely going to see those characters at the other parks.

Just as we were deciding this, we noticed a short line of people waiting to see Lilo and Stitch, so we got on line. I waited in line with DD while DW walked back to a gift shop to get DD a new autograph book. She returned just in time, and we were the last family to see Lilo and Stitch before they took a break.

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0125.JPG

DSC_0128.JPG

DW bought a cool pen which Lilo used to hypnotize Stitch. DD got a kick out of that. Then Lilo stuck the pen in Stitch's ear to wake him up, and DD got an even bigger kick out of that!

Perhaps there is a thread already about this, but isn't it odd how some "human" characters are human (princesses, princes, peter pan, alice, etc..) and others are in full suits (Lilo, Gipetto, Capt. Hook, Mr. Smee, etc..) It makes me wonder why? who makes that decision and is there a reason for it? Okay... I'm done thinking out loud for now.

Alright, so we're about halfway done with AK, and I've hit my limit on pics for this post. Stay tuned, I'll be right back as we head over to see...

The Jingle in the Jungle Parade

When we last saw our intrepid band of AK explorers, they had just escaped an up close and personal encounter with Lilo and Stitch. Now they were on their way to scout out a viewing area for the parade...

Right next door to where we saw experiment 626 there was a DVC information center with these picture cutouts...

DSC_0132.JPG
DSC_0135.JPG

I couldn't take the picture of both of them at the same time, because DD was too short and DW had to pick her up.

Next we grabbed a spot for the Jingle in the Jungle Parade. We found a place not far from the bridge into Africa where DD and I could sit on the ground behind some masking tape while DW sat on a wall behind us. At first, the parade didn't seem at all different from the normal version, but they did dress it up a bit. Here are some pics that DW took while I was videotaping.

034.JPG

035.JPG

036.JPG

the Naughty and Nice Lists

038.JPG

041.JPG

044.JPG

I will edit together a version of it you can watch (if you want, nobody's going to force you) on my youtube account. Here is the link. <-----

Following the parade we literally followed the parade toward Dinoland USA so DD could get on her favorite AK ride. Just before the bridge into Dinoland, we saw a character greeting was going on and decided to check it out... and here's who we met...

DSC_0138.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0144.JPG

DSC_0145.JPG

DSC_0152.JPG

048.JPG

This was a great character greeting. The area was secluded and decorated for the holidays, and they even had christmas music playing. And as you can see from the pics, even DW got in there to get a pic with her favorite character of all! And I got one of me and Tigger.

Another weird thing that we experienced going down at this time of year was that it got dark earlier. We're so used to going in the summer, so it was different to be at AK when it got dark. Even though the park was open until 9, we had that rezzie for dinner at Boma to get to. So we made our way over the bridge to Dinoland USA. There we saw another couple of characters decking the halls. So we stopped by to say hello.

DSC_0156.JPG

In this picture, DD is covering her cough, and Pluto is imitating her.

049.JPG

There was music playing and both Pluto and Goofy were dancing. It was fun! Another great character greeting!

And finally, we hit DD's favorite ride at AK. Triceratops Spin! or as DD calls it... "Dino-Mite!"

DSC_0167.JPG

Finally, it was time to say goodbye to AK. I stopped for a pic of the christmas tree lit up on the way out.

DSC_0175.JPG

Overall, It was a decent day at AK. Especially considering how we were all feeling. I'm glad we didn't push it and try to do more than we did. DD fell asleep in the stroller a few times while we were cutting across the park, and while we waited for the parade. She was a trooper. We felt bad that she was sick and hoped her cold would clear up for the rest of the trip.

We headed over to AKL to get dinner. We hadn't eaten lunch, we had just grabbed some snacks. I mistakenly turned into Kidani Village and we had to get back in the car and head around to AKL itself. oops. That Kidani Village wasn't there the last time we went over to scope out AKL!

I don't have any pictures of Boma. All I can tell you is that they had a TON of food. Another buffet style meal. DW raves about the carrot-ginger soup. She even went as far as to track down the recipe. I remember going back for seconds of the Durban Spiced Chicken. I thought that was good. DD had chicken fingers and mac and cheese.

When dinner was over, we headed back to our room at SSR. DW and DD got settled in for the night, and I made a run over to Goodings to get tissues, anti-bacterial wipes to wipe down the car us sickos had spent the last few days in, nasal spray for DW, tylenol and cold medicine for myself.

Day one was over. After everything we went through to get there, our vacation was already flying by. But don't they all?

For those interested in the DDP, we used 6 of our 15 TS credits that day between breakfast and dinner. We used 3 snacks as well.

We were all tired, and thankfully we could sleep in a bit the next morning since it was our...

Resort Hopping Day!

Awww....I had that after everything y'all went thru to get to WDW, y'all ended up sick, too! :sad2: But, I think all of y'all were great troopers in AK. Considering that everyone was feeling under the weather, I think y'all had a pretty great day! :thumbsup2 Looking at all the Christmas decorations in your pics has me excited to go for our quick weekend in December! I hope y'all got to feeling better quickly!

I've never been to WDW during the holidays, so I'm loving those pics! Hope you guys ended up feeling better.

Fantastic photos - I love the ones of your daughter with the characters - so cute!

Good to see you have Disney fun - despite your illnesses! Can't wait to hear more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter