My dishwasher just started all by itself!

HunnyPots

DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>The Tag Fairy is
I ran my dishwasher this afternoon. It had cooled down but was still locked, since I hadn't unloaded it yet. A few minutes ago, it started up again all by itself! It's just me and the dogs here tonight so no one else could have pushed the start button! I'm completely at a loss - no idea what is going on! This is so weird! :eek:

If it starts loading itself, let me know. I will buy one just like it. :laughing:

Does your dishwasher have a delayed setting?

bstn595l.jpg

:scared1:

Seriously, could one of your dogs have been sniffing around and maybe bumped it?

The electronics that control settings and startings and cycles on your dishwasher could be going bad, or a teensy hit of power irregularity could've caused it. Who knows what oddness lurks in the very small brains of dishwashers!

If you have had problems with ghosts in the past- things that canNOT, in any way, be explained by the mundane, you might want to consider that possibility. For me, though, it would take other activity and repeated dishwashing turn-ons with more than one dishwasher and brand of dishwasher to confirm that theory.

If it starts loading itself, let me know. I will buy one just like it. :laughing:

Does your dishwasher have a delayed setting?

Me too!!

This reminds me of when my TV mysteriously kept shutting off at the same time every night and I swore it was a ghost, until dh showed me that the sleep timer had been set :rolleyes1

Is it a Kenmore? DH and I have been sitting on the couch talking, kids in bed, and then notice that the dishwasher has started running. Now it has a new trick, you start it go back to unload it only to find it never ran, shut itself off. Soon as the taxes come back,we are calling the repair man. For the record, the dishwasher is only about two years old.

Me too!!

This reminds me of when my TV mysteriously kept shutting off at the same time every night and I swore it was a ghost, until dh showed me that the sleep timer had been set :rolleyes1
We had this happen too!! Only it would shut off randomly. Seems one of the roommates did something to the cable box and it was scheduled at really odd hours to turn itself off and on! :rotfl:

And yes, I'm buying that dishwasher that fills itself.

That happened here once- but turned out someone had set the timer.... I blame the kids.

I don't mind loading it....... I want one that UNLOADS itself! Nobody EVER wants to do that.

Uh, really nit-picky clean-freak ghosts that didn't think your dishwasher did a good enough job the first time?

I'd take the dishwasher turning on. It seems like I'm the only one that does it. Now if they could only invent one that would unload itself, I'd be in heaven.

I had a christmas tree that turned on by itself... I looked really odd taking it back, but no way was I keeping it. We were in the living room, it had a remote that was sitting on the end-table (no one near it) and it just all the sudden turned on. That stuff freaks me out, my mother in law & kids were freaked too.

(Luckily we still had the old one to use.)

Time to call Ghost Hunters or the Maytag repair man--your choice. Of course the Ghost Hunter guys are Rotor-Rooter plumbers, so they could take care of either issue.

If you have a delay timer setting, something probably got pressed by accident. If not, you may have something in the programing going bad. If the dogs are large, they could have triggered something as well--my short-legged girl loves to lick the dishwasher door--we've decided to call it a "quirk". I will admit that this would be a little freaky.

Does your dishwasher have a delay timer on it? Maybe the delay button had been pushed at some point and although it had already run, it then hit the 'delayed time' and started again?

Well I never figured it out and it didn't do it again. No, the dogs could not have done it without a step ladder and I didn't see or hear either of them dragging it up to the counter, of course they can be sneaky sometimes ;). I considered the delay timer, that I may have pushed it by accident, except the dishwasher had already ran, cooled down, and turned off. I suppose it could be the electronic controls starting to go. Who knows? Actually, I kind of hope it is that clean-freak ghost - maybe he'll come back tonight and vacuum the dog hair off the couches!:thumbsup2

Where's the OP? You guys don't think the dishwasher got her do ya? :lmao:

ooops. looks like you posted at the same time. Glad to see you are still here.

I once had a minivan that had ghostly windshield wipers -- they'd go on a just across a couple of times and shut down. Now, our garage door opener goes up by itself -- either someone else in the neighborhood just recently reset their garage door code to the same one we have, or the whole thing is getting ready to die. It worries me because I'm home alone during the day and who knows what kind of people lurk outside?

Erin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter