My daughter was gifted 2 $50 gift cards for graduation, I gave her $100 and tried to scan the code

mjkacmom

DIS Veteran
Both had a 0 balance. They were in their original packaging, the tape was still over the code, Amazon asked me for my order number, they were gifts from my daughter’s boyfriend’s mom back in May. I don’t even know if she ordered them from Amazon or picked them up in a store. I don’t know if it’s worth $100 for my daughter to ask her, obviously not his mom’s fault but I’d feel terrible if my gift was zero. Fortunately I went even less personal and Venmo’d her boyfriend his gift. The more I think about it I’m just going to let it go.

That sucks! She prob bought at a store and they didn’t process correctly.
I don’t think I would say anything just because of it were me I would replace
Them. I wouldn’t want to put someone in that position of a double gift.
I doubt she would have saved her receipt from May. I know it would be long gone.

I know you’re out $100 but I would just eat it and move on.

I always buy gift cards at Walgreens or stop and shop. I think I will make sure to keep and include the little receipt in the future.

For Amazon, I try to buy from them because you can usually get cute packaging for free. Lol 😝

I bought a $100. Disney one at Publix. They threw it in the bag but Thankfully I kept the receipt AND the gift receipt I asked for. When I went to add it to my list of cards, the code part literally peeled off and was Unreadable. The card itself was no longer a Plastic, but cheap Paper, which apparently got moisture from my other cold purchases. I had the receipt which had the last 4 digits and CM was able to provide me with an option to put That 100. On another card and then I was able to confirm the successful. transfer.
Lesson learned, don’t by paper cards ( who knew!) keep ur receipt AND get a gift receipt.
Op.. sorry about that card debacle, likely not processed by cashier. I’d too let it go but frustrating for sure.

I texted my daughter and told her not to mention anything to her boyfriend, best case scenario would be his mom did get them from Amazon and has the order number, I’m guessing she bought them elsewhere since it’s 2 $50 instead of a $100. I bought them from her 3 months ago so she’d also be letting his mom know she didn’t actually use them. Definitely not worth the off chance of getting the $100. Thanks!

My son received a Sonic gift card that didn’t have anything on it. I chose not to tell the person who gave it to him.

If I had given one that turned out to have a zero balance I would want to know, so I could see if there was any way I could find out what went wrong and have the funds restored. I wouldn’t be offended in any way. I’d be mad if the company got away with charging me for them and they were worthless. But that is just me!

I bought a $100. Disney one at Publix. They threw it in the bag but Thankfully I kept the receipt AND the gift receipt I asked for. When I went to add it to my list of cards, the code part literally peeled off and was Unreadable. The card itself was no longer a Plastic, but cheap Paper, which apparently got moisture from my other cold purchases. I had the receipt which had the last 4 digits and CM was able to provide me with an option to put That 100. On another card and then I was able to confirm the successful. transfer.
Lesson learned, don’t by paper cards ( who knew!) keep ur receipt AND get a gift receipt.
Op.. sorry about that card debacle, likely not processed by cashier. I’d too let it go but frustrating for sure.
If that's the case, then wouldn't the purchaser also NOT have been charged for them?

If I had given one that turned out to have a zero balance I would want to know, so I could see if there was any way I could find out what went wrong and have the funds restored. I wouldn’t be offended in any way. I’d be mad if the company got away with charging me for them and they were worthless. But that is just me!

Exactly! There was a glitch somewhere. She may have paid with a credit card which would prove the $100 purchase for that store and day. She may have the receipt which shows the purchase, but then the cashier or the store didn't finish processing and adding the funds onto the card. It may be a two-step process. Why assume the boyfriend's mother is the incompetent one who can't provide proof of the purchase? Unless you really think she just picked up the cards and didn't really pay for them.

I would nicely let the mother know there was zero on the cards. Years ago I bought $5 gift cards for all of my sons teachers, aides, bus drivers for Christmas from Dunkin Donuts. Imagine my embarrassment when the bus driver told me and a teacher confirmed they had zero balances! From that point on I make sure to always attach the receipt/activation to the gift card

Someone could have stolen the funds also. A local charity purchased target gift cards from our Publix to take underprivileged kids Christmas shopping. When they went to check out, none of the gift cards had any balances available. Someone had stolen all the funds before the kids got to use them.

My husband received a $100 gift card from a neighbor for a milestone birthday and the balance was zero.
I felt bad about wasting their money but it would have been awkward to tell them so we just let it go.
Since then, I always save receipts when I give a gift card as well as tape the activation slip to the card for the recipient.

Exactly! There was a glitch somewhere. She may have paid with a credit card which would prove the $100 purchase for that store and day. She may have the receipt which shows the purchase, but then the cashier or the store didn't finish processing and adding the funds onto the card. It may be a two-step process. Why assume the boyfriend's mother is the incompetent one who can't provide proof of the purchase? Unless you really think she just picked up the cards and didn't really pay for them.
I’m not assuming she’s incompetent, the amount is printed on the covering so it was supposedly already added. They were given to my daughter 3 months ago, I personally wouldn’t remember what store I bought them from, but even if she did, I doubt the store will refund the money, I could’ve used the cards and if not, Amazon dropped the ball not loading them.

Someone could have stolen the funds also. A local charity purchased target gift cards from our Publix to take underprivileged kids Christmas shopping. When they went to check out, none of the gift cards had any balances available. Someone had stolen all the funds before the kids got to use them.
448A2CF1-1934-4D19-831F-6A0AEFFE909D.jpeg

Attachments

• B122B610-CB9A-444C-A83B-90612E919B71.jpeg
    B122B610-CB9A-444C-A83B-90612E919B71.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 16
As you can see, the cards were sealed lightly in this envelope, cash was already loaded so cashier didn’t need to add. It would be bern difficult for someone to steal it.

As you can see, the cards were sealed lightly in this envelope, cash was already loaded so cashier didn’t need to add. It would be bern difficult for someone to steal it.
But yet people can and do steal money off gift cards. A very quick google search provides several ways fraudsters steal money off gift cards.

Last edited:
No. You could be charged for a gift card and then the cashier doesn't properly activate the card.
I purchase gift cards all the time at the Kroger self checkout. All you do is scan the cards. It is activated when scanned. Nothing else required for the gift cards with a predetermined dollar amount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter