My baby has a chromosonal defect? She's HERE & HEALTHY! Post 355!!!

awww tracy :hug: please keep us updated. That sounds very promising.

First of all, I am so glad that you got some good news today!

It sounds like you were not 100% onboard for the CVS to begin with. I would have gone ahead with the CVS. I know that I personally wouldn't be able to rest without knowing for sure if my baby had a chromosomal defect. FWIW, the risk of a miscarriage from a CVS is very, very low. It's about the same as for an amniocentesis.

I opted out of CVS and the amnio. Many people told me I was nuts, but it was mine and DH's decision. I only ever had the genetic ultrasounds. It was a joy to see her in 4D!
Regardless, I would have kept DD no matter what!!!
Good luck to you! :goodvibes

Me too! I knew that I would keep her, no matter what, and therefore I did not want to take the risk of miscarrying her because of CVS or amnio.

First of all, I am so glad that you got some good news today!

It sounds like you were not 100% onboard for the CVS to begin with. I would have gone ahead with the CVS. I know that I personally wouldn't be able to rest without knowing for sure if my baby had a chromosomal defect. FWIW, the risk of a miscarriage from a CVS is very, very low. It's about the same as for an amniocentesis.

As far as I know it´s a 1% risk which is a pretty high risk in my opinion. But then I again 2 of my kids were born with defects which respectively have a 1/1000 and 1/300 likelyhood. I knew that the 1 in a hundred could very well be us!

I'm glad I opted out of the CVS... now...who knows, we may opt out of amnio too since we have accepted the fact our child may have a defect of some sort, but it doesn't look to be a lethal defect, and, as of today...our outlook is getting better :)

:goodvibes :hug:

As far as I know it´s a 1% risk which is a pretty high risk in my opinion.
I opted to have a CVS because I was a 38-year old first time mother. The small risk (and yes, I think a 1% risk is small) was worth it for me.

Me too! I knew that I would keep her, no matter what, and therefore I did not want to take the risk of miscarrying her because of CVS or amnio.

As far as I know it´s a 1% risk which is a pretty high risk in my opinion. But then I again 2 of my kids were born with defects which respectively have a 1/1000 and 1/300 likelyhood. I knew that the 1 in a hundred could very well be us!

We felt the same way. My DH did some research for us and it just was not worth it to us. My Drs told me they can learn just as much through genetic ultrasounds. I just had to go to a place in NY who did so many per month to insure accuracy; so the more they do , the more they know what they are doing. :thumbsup2

ETA- OP you do what you feel in your heart is right.

Yeah..the risk is higher in CVS than amnio...and as the dr was discussing how the miscarriage would work following this procedure.....I started to get worried that what if I risked losing the baby over something that didn't need to happen? I'd never forgive myself.... I'm still not ruling out amnio, but we had already discussed if things changed in regards to abnormalities...we'd hold off.. We are very happy with our decision to wait today. We have a month to see what the future holds for us and if we decide to do the amnio or not....

Yeah..the risk is higher in CVS than amnio...
Doctors used to think that a CVS had a higher risk but they have come to the conclusion that it does not. Like Mahnahmahnah found someone experienced with u/s, it is best to find someone who is experienced with CVS's too.

and as the dr was discussing how the miscarriage would work following this procedure ....I started to get worried that what if I risked losing the baby over something that didn't need to happen? I'd never forgive myself....
First your doctor gave you incorrect information about the risk of a CVS and then he said discussed how the m/c would work?!? How so, like maybe you would need a D&C? Perhaps you did make the right decision ... I wouldn't let anyone like that near my uterus! :scared:

I'm still not ruling out amnio, but we had already discussed if things changed in regards to abnormalities...we'd hold off.. We are very happy with our decision to wait today. We have a month to see what the future holds for us and if we decide to do the amnio or not....
{{hugs}} I sincerely hope that you won't need one.

Doctors used to think that a CVS had a higher risk but they have come to the conclusion that it does not. Like Mahnahmahnah found someone experienced with u/s, it is best to find someone who is experienced with CVS's too.

First your doctor gave you incorrect information about the risk of a CVS and then he said discussed how the m/c would work?!? How so, like maybe you would need a D&C? Perhaps you did make the right decision ... I wouldn't let anyone like that near my uterus! :scared:

{{hugs}} I sincerely hope that you won't need one.

Ohh..this doctor was wonderful... I asked him lots of questions...and he answered frankly and from his experience. He is the only one who does CVS in our area, and has done many. I requested him for the amnio if it comes to it. Nothing was mentioned about D&C... but I asked him about complications.. normal bleeding vs miscarriage bleeding and such.. he was very open and honest about all of it. And, from all I've read, and heard thru various doctors and practices, CVS still does carry a slightly higher miscarriage rate than amnio, although the % is closer than previously thought.
I hope I dont need the amnio too, but I am very happy and confident in this doctor :)

I'm so happy for you! I also think that 1% is a pretty big risk. I would never put my child in a car if I knew that there was a 1 out of 100 chance that there would be a car accident. I know that there are things in life that we can't control, but I don't think I would have felt comfortable introducing risk that wasn't necessary.

I actually passed on v-back because of 1 in 100 odds of rupture. I figure that there are a lot of babies born every day to moms who have had a previous c-section. 1 out of 100 seems like a lot to me!

I'll keep you in my prayers for lots of future good news!!!!

I'm glad you had a good ultrasound today. It is entirely possible that you will deliver a typical newborn baby.

I had a level II ultrasound yesterday (DH has clubfeet, and it was basically an excuse to get a better look in there). I was a nervous that the tech and doctor would find problems, especially with the heart or brain. But everything looked good and we found out it's a girl! :cloud9: I hope you have reassuring ultrasounds from now on! :hug:

Ohh..this doctor was wonderful... I asked him lots of questions...and he answered frankly and from his experience. He is the only one who does CVS in our area, and has done many. I requested him for the amnio if it comes to it. Nothing was mentioned about D&C... but I asked him about complications.. normal bleeding vs miscarriage bleeding and such.. he was very open and honest about all of it. And, from all I've read, and heard thru various doctors and practices, CVS still does carry a slightly higher miscarriage rate than amnio, although the % is closer than previously thought.
I hope I dont need the amnio too, but I am very happy and confident in this doctor :)
Whew! That makes me feel better.

I'm so happy for you! I also think that 1% is a pretty big risk. I would never put my child in a car if I knew that there was a 1 out of 100 chance that there would be a car accident. I know that there are things in life that we can't control, but I don't think I would have felt comfortable introducing risk that wasn't necessary.

I actually passed on v-back because of 1 in 100 odds of rupture. I figure that there are a lot of babies born every day to moms who have had a previous c-section. 1 out of 100 seems like a lot to me!

I'm getting a distinct "I don't do prenatal tests, so I'm a better parent" vibe here :rolleyes1.

Sorry to shout but ... I AM NOT A BAD MOTHER AND I LOVE MY DAUGHTER AS MUCH AS YOU LOVE YOUR CHILDREN. I LOVED HER JUST AS MUCH IN UTERO TOO.

So I do not hijack Tracy's thread, I will unsubscribe now so I won't read any more responses. Please PM me instead of commenting here.

Good luck Tracy {{hugs}}.

I'm getting a distinct "I don't do prenatal tests, so I'm a better parent" vibe here :rolleyes1.

Nope, not at all.

I can just understand why she wouldn't do it.

Obviously lots and lots of people do. I am just supporting someone's choice to feel like the risk isn't worth it for them.

Sorry to shout but ... I AM NOT A BAD MOTHER AND I LOVE MY DAUGHTER AS MUCH AS YOU LOVE YOUR CHILDREN. I LOVED HER JUST AS MUCH IN UTERO TOO.

So I do not hijack Tracy's thread, I will unsubscribe now so I won't read any more responses. Please PM me instead of commenting here.

Good luck Tracy {{hugs}}.

Not sure exactly whom you are referring to but.....

I only spoke of my personal experience, and I am sorry you feel that way. Everyone should do what they feel it right. I only gave OP my story on what I did and answered another poster. I said in both my posts that this was what was best FOR US. Just trying to support OP.

PS- You are not a bad mother ! You did what YOU felt was best!!!

Actually, new studies have shown that the actual risk now of amnio is much less - more like .006%. Here is a recent link http://miscarriage.about.com/od/pregnancyafterloss/f/amniocentesis.htm

OP- I am wishing you the best of luck! The fact that they found a nasal bone in your ultrasound is significant. When I had the test done, I was told that the nasal bone is usually not present in a scan done at your stage of pregnancy.

Actually, new studies have shown that the actual risk now of amnio is much less - more like .006%. Here is a recent link http://miscarriage.about.com/od/pregnancyafterloss/f/amniocentesis.htm

OP- I am wishing you the best of luck! The fact that they found a nasal bone in your ultrasound is significant. When I had the test done, I was told that the nasal bone is usually not present in a scan done at your stage of pregnancy.

I was using th 1% that someone else posted, and the 1% that I was using for my experience was the risk I was given at the time for delivering v-back.

That comment was directed at me. I was giving my thoughts and feelings at the time when I was faced with the same odds. I was just trying to be supportive of the op. I was not in any way even commenting on anyone else's choices or decisions.

Nope, not at all.

I can just understand why she wouldn't do it.

Obviously lots and lots of people do. I am just supporting someone's choice to feel like the risk isn't worth it for them.

Exactly....TODAY I felt like it wasnt worth it for me... but, since I made the appt, I obviously planned on it initially. I'm not ruling out amnio yet either, because I still have alot of unknowns... but, I made the decision right for ME, today :)

oh..wanted to add one more thing...
I missed Oprah today, but caught the last 5 minutes or so...it looked like it may have had a small segment on living with special needs children. ANyways, it had Jim Carry and Jenny McCarthy on there, talking about when Jim first met Jennys son who is autistic. He said something so touching... He said when he first met Evan, Evan didn't communicate to him, but he was introduced into his life for a reason. He said all special needs children are here for us, not us for them...
I thought that was beautiful.
My whole outlook is still prepared for dealing with some sort of abnormality, I haven't gone off the deep end taking todays good news as THE end all answer. Would I like it to mean everything is fine? Absolutely... but my outlook will NEVER be the same...and I believe I'm already a better person for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter