MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" - October 2011 TRIP REPORT

it appears that I will be making a road trip into the Tyler Texas area this Sunday to "adopt" my four legged family member /dieting coach.:thumbsup2

and overall BEST BUD.

Got four or so choices to choose from and am leaning towards a Beagle named "Ladybug.":yay:

And yyyeeesssss......

Kathy.... if you are reading this -
this IS indeed my top choice.

just wanting to keep this a surprise when I see you this Sunday.:yay:

Pics forthcoming I promise.

Her is a pic of my former best bud I had to put down in July due to numerous health issues and well - old age (14 yrs old):
backstagemagicpics001.jpg

I miss her -

ALLRIHTEE ----- we now return u to your regular scheduled programming.popcorn::

T.T.F.N.

A couple of questions when you get back:

1.) Was the sunrise worth all the hype? I'm thinking about doing sunset instead. Less crowded and not so darned early in the morning. lol

2.) Did the drive on the Hana Highway make you quesy?

A couple of questions when you get back:

1.) Was the sunrise worth all the hype? I'm thinking about doing sunset instead. Less crowded and not so darned early in the morning. lol

Don't wanna give away tooooo much here......

But,
I am about 3 Trip report days away from blogging about this........

give me a little bit of time here and yes,
you will not be disapointed.:goodvibes

Will give you both pov -

then my opinion.

HINT:
keep in mind here I was at the helm of the Trilogy II catamaran for a few miles (day 6 I believe of my adventure) in 28 knot winds at a calm 8.5 knot cat speed w/no main up and only ONLY a 1/4 jib was being used.

AND LOVIN' EVERY MINUTE OF ITpopcorn::

T.T.F.N.

:upsidedow DAY 3- Sunday Oct 30th
high temp of 82 degrees & sunny skies

Well, today is the very day I can actually SIT DOWN and have a nice breakfast and nice it was at the Hula Grill; Outrigger Hotel.

Actually woke up at a reasonable hour at about 6am and tumbled out of bed immediately and walked around the hotel property for a bit b 4 heading back to my room and got ready for the day.

From there, I was off to the Hula Grill and some much needed FOOD.

the view from the Hula Grill:

**DOUBLE RIGHT CLICK ON THE ABOVE VIDEO & IT WILL PLAY 4 U **

Once I sat down, I immediately had some much needeed OJ (2 WAKE UP) and some of this:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics163-1.jpg

Nibbling on my food as a nice way for me to momentarily pause and reflect on the beauty of Hawaii while I was hearing the waves from the ocean lap at the shoreline close by.
Soon, it was time for me to head out back to the entrance of the hotel and once again enjoy the unneccessary pain of attempting to locate the correct mode of transportation, the name of it and in time for my scheduled departure time of my Pearl Harbor tour.

Now keep in mind all throughout my vacation into the Aloha State, I had been asking numerous times via phone calls back thru my booking entity - Classic Vacations.com - as well as the front desk of the Outrigger hotel about reconfirming and obtaining the correct information here as to avoid my biggest fear:

** BEING A NO SHOW AT A SCHEDULED EXCURSION**

this was so becuz I was finding out **LIVE** that my printed itinerary was incorrect as well; courtesy of my travel agent ALL WORLD TRAVEL and CLASSIC VACATIONS.COM

Their reaction was anything less than stellar but rest assured eveyone, I will voice my opinion on this later as this is supposed to be a positive blog - ya know?
Besides, a lot of this silliness calmed down once I hit the BEAUTIFUL shores of Maui and - the Hyatt hotel.:cloud9:

ANYWHO -

So I FINALLY stumble into the vendor's transportation, listen to him yell at me since he has me down for TWO reservations (one being for a party of FOUR women) for a grand total of a party of 5!!
I apoligize to him, explain what is happening and that I will address this once I get back to the Mainland. He gruffs verbally under his breath and then off we go with me correctly being a PARTY OF ONE.

FYI: Me being incorrectly overbooked into multiple reservations via excursions happened to me on numerous occassions -

By now, this constant up/down/up down/up/down emotional roller coaster ride of total ineptness was beginning to wear on me but I was determined to not allow this to put a damper on today's plans so I cranked up my I-pod to "R-U deaf?";) to help me reframe my mind.

IT HELPED.:goodvibes

Soon we arrived at:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics167.jpg

now to see the whole place was just mesmerising as well as a little daunting; I mean to think - this is where it all started years ago.

We all got checked in ok and were allowed to roam about for about an hour until it was time for our alloted theatre time: 11:30am.
Before I saw the theatre, i visited the different sections of Pearl:

A side view of her in her prime:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics170.jpg

and

Here is a video model of what she looks like with the visitor Center overhead:

**JUST DOUBLE RIGHT CLICK W/YOUR MOUSE OVER THE ABOVE VIDEO & IT WILL PLAY **

me standing in front of her anchor:
hawaii189.jpg

Overall, a very nice presentation w/just one slight criticism and that is it would have been nice to have seen info on the Japanese midget subs that fought in the attack as well. Other than that, I really enjoyed this excursion and it really helped me pick up my mood quite a bit.

After Peal, we saw the highlights of the island:

Like the Punchbowl:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics229.jpg

and the Dole Plantation/ visitors center:

** JUST DOUBLE CLICK W/YOUR MOUSE ON THE ABOVE VIDEO & IT WILL PLAY 4 YOU**

and of couse, I just hhadddd;) to stop on by for the DOLe WHIP!!!!
Hawaii-Oct2011pics128-1.jpg

and -

The Iolani Palace.
Hawaii-Oct2011pics238.jpg

one more for good measure:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics235.jpg

Afterwards, our tour bus headed back to the hotel and I went back up into my room for a bit around 4pm.

Decided I was getting a weeeeee bit hungry and headed off for something to eat/drink at the Hula Grill.

now.....nothin beats some shrimp -
Hawaii-Oct2011pics045.jpg

a 'rita or two and some HULA PIE:woohoo:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics051.jpg

....to top off a great day.

YES - I would highly reccommend Hula pie!! YUM!!

Anywho -
My luck was beginning to change -

So was my feelings about this adventure.:goodvibes

Oh and did I memtion that I found out that the Island of Maui was re-instituting their Halloween festivities?? that were banned these past 3 years??????

time for me to break out my Pirate Goofy outfit and head out the door and have more fun.popcorn::

And with that, I called it an early day around 10pm as I had a plane to catch.:cool2:

A plane to the island of Maui and a chance encounter w/my Angel of Mercy; Rita.

To Be Continued -

UP NEXT:

Arriving into the Island of Maui and Halloween festivities -
[
Hawaii-Oct2011pics279.jpg

**THE ONE COSTUME I FELT SHOULD HAVE MADE THE FRONT PAGE OF THE MAUI NEWS 11-1-11
BUT SOMEONE ELSE DID**

DETAILS COMING UPpopcorn::

UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN:goodvibes

:idea:DAY 4 - OCT 31st
Sunny skies w/high temp of 84 degrees

Hawaii-Oct2011pics300.jpg

(sunset in Maui)

So today was the day I decided to take back my vacation as I had enough of the just awful servicing of this valued Guest and was determined to go out and make the 2nd half of my vacation an adventure I would never forget.

**I WASN'T DISAPPOINTED **

My bags were all packed and ready to get outta and off this island and into a better enviornment and better atmosphere.

So after a quick jog for about 45 minutes, I was in a nice hot shower and out that door by 8am. I had gotten myself a full night sleep courtesy of a sleeping pill (ok - me bad but I needed some sleep considering what I had infront of me) and was ready for a good bite to eat at the Hula Grill one last time.
It was Halloween that am for the island of Oahu and the wait staff was all dressed up. And yes, my waitress that am was no other than Chrissy from the classic tv show, "3's Company."

****** TOO CUTE I ADD ****:lovestruc

Pic

pic

pic

Breakfast hit the spot just right and hhhhheeyyyyy - wouldnt ya know it, what life just wouldn't be the same without me once again receiving WRONG INFO from CLASSIC VACATIONS.COM on where to go for the airport transfer and by what time, etc.:mad:

BUT this time -

this time, it was different.:confused:

I put away my "nice" Disney personality and enstead opted for a blunt and to the point a-t-t-i-t-u-d-e as I got ahold of the valet at the hotel and -

well -

I basically informed them that the hotel can split the cost of a comp airline ticket to the island of Maui if I miss my plane courtesy of them and Classic vacations.com.

it was quite interesting to say that w/i 2 minutes, the Valet person came running back from front desk and informed me the correct info (once again, I received WRONG INFO FROM CLASSIC VACATIONS.COM EARLIER IN THE AM) & very quickly & professionally guided me to the correct transfer mode of transportation.:woohoo:

**NOW only if they had treated me in this fashion earlier, they would have retained me much easier **:rolleyes:

It felt nice to be treated fairly as I was all smiles getting on that airport transfer van. Yes, I was triple booked but I didn't care anymore; for that's someone elses problem and if any vendor growled at me, I growled right back.:thumbsup2

the vendor picked up on my newly found assertiveness and left me alone as I was deep into my I-pod music and clearly had one objective in mind:

** MAUI **popcorn::

T.B.C.

- CONT FROM EARLIER POST -

Hawaii-Oct2011pics257.jpg

So I arrived at the Hyatt hotel around 2:30pm ish and well, it just felt different. I felt at home.:cloud9:

As I was slowly walking up the stairs to front desk, a parrot called out my name.

Yes - the parrot asked me BY MY FIRST NAME how I was doing.

Ok.......that threw me for a curve.

I LIKE IT!!:thumbsup2

And with that, I bounded up the steps and into unknowingly into the arms of an Angel that would forever change the way I view Hawaii and this vacation:

RITA; Concierge at the Hyatt:worship:.

As I unloaded all my stuff right in front of her, she looked a little taken a back by my hurridness, (hey I had to do laundry, get showered, dressed and back out that door for a 6pm dinner ressie at Sonz's).

Nontheless, her smile just won me over.:worship:

When she asked me what all I have going on while visiting the Island, her eyes grew big as saucers when I informed her all what I was doing. She immediately whipped out a pen and a sheet of paper and began to write down all what I had said.

HHEEYYY --- cool. I knew right there I was in excellent hands.

Around 4:45pm (mind you I hadnt started laundry yet) She & I were done "a talkin" and I sprinted back to the laundry facilities and then I was out to see what my room looked like.

I wasn't dissapointed :
Hawaii-Oct2011pics241.jpg

I finished doing laundry around 5:5opm and made it to Sonz' w/2 minutes to spare.

The dinner there (and the Mia Tias) were just fantabolous;):
Hawaii-Oct2011pics248.jpg

Hey - what can I say.....was nibbling on some wonderful tastin bread while waitin on my meal):thumbsup2

and

Hawaii-Oct2011pics255.jpg

YYUUMM!!

So was the View:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics251.jpg

it was such a treat to be waited on by an excellent wait staff as I was made to feel valued. I also got an opportunity to see the different colors of the Sun as it was setting off in the distance

VIDEO:

I made it back to my room after I felt like a little kid just a wondering around this wonderful palace like hotel. But wait!!

What's this I hear about the island's Halloween's activities??????

Yup!!

ya guessed it!!

****ROAD TRIP!****

So, I was fast walking past "Capt Hook" (near the hotel front desk area) AKA James Kearns as we both gave each other our Pirate hand "salute" and I was off to the valet area and a cab.

that just put me into a case of the giggles!!

But Wait!!
There were others who needed a cab ride as well!!
Hawaii-Oct2011pics258.jpg

So we all jumped in the nearest cab around 7:30pm "ish" and hit the road to Lahaina and their Halloween festival; which was recently reinstituted after a 3 year BAN due to it being jusssttt a weee bit 2 racy and what not.

Had a ton of fun sauntering down the street checking out the sights - and what can I say?

CRAZY!!!

Hawaii-Oct2011pics293.jpg

and....

Hawaii-Oct2011pics289.jpg

and -

Hawaii-Oct2011pics283.jpg

WHat was soooo funny about the evening was in HOW we Pirates greeted each other while walking:rotfl:

I have tons of video but dont feel i can show them; as the video would make even Cptn Morgan blush!:laughing:

So after a few beers, I believe I got that Pirate stagger down jjuusst right -

BUT NOT RIGHT enuf to be friends with the HPD.:eek:

Decided to make it a day around 11:30pm and finally arrived back home around 12;30AM.

Called it a day around 1am. Got a LLOONNGGG day but good day the next day.

Nontheless-
I was in Heaven. :cloud9:

I WAS HOME.

Tho I do say that I still feel that the Pam Am flight crew SHOULDA made the front page enstead of deze guys;) But oh well:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics297.jpg

UP NEXT:

Hawaii-Oct2011pics372.jpg

Why I appreciate Cora (In room dining @ the Hyatt Regency) and just how good is the road to "Heavenly Hana"?

ALOHA

Day 5 - Nov 1st
Sunny skies once again w/high of 84 degrees

(video shot while on the Heavenly Hana tour; doulble right click w/you mouse over it and it will play for u)

I awoke this morning with a smile om my face for I felt as if I was waking up in the hotel suite inside Cinderella's Castle!!:cloud9:

I felt alive and ready to hit the ground running!!

:woohoo:** I HAVE RETURNED **:woohoo:

So with a quick leap (LEAP??:lmao:) out of bed, I was in that shower for a hot awakening for what was to turn out to be a enchanting day filled with vibrant sights and sounds of a mountain we (tour group) drive around and up it; then I would be bicycling down it the next day:

the mountain of Haleakala.:goodvibes

And it is here that I was also beginning to enter the most challenging part of my 8-day adventure; thus I enabled the assistance of my trusty sidekick:

Cora from In-room Dining at the Hyatt hotel.:thumbsup2

Ant with that, I
was quick to get dressed and was out that door by 6:30am as I was also a little bit on the hungry side. So before I made it on up to the hotel pick up/drop off location (Rita informed me yesterday which correct transpo system was going to pick me up, etc) I also made a quick stop on by front desk and picked up by basket of goodies Cora had put together for the the night before.

This method of "grab and go" food proved to be a lifesaver for me and I am truely appreciative of her magic.

From fruit cups, yogurt, bannanas to sandwiches, she had the magic touch that just hit the spot just right each day I was at her hotel.

Anywho -

So at 7am sharp, the transpo system pick me up and took me to a nearby shopping center (took about 45 minutes) where I meet the coolest laidback but engaging tour guide EVER:

Taki (pronounced "Tee-ach-ee').

And from about 8am to about 5:30pm that day, he and ONLY 3 other Guests & I had the funnest (the word of the day) time taking a drive around the mountain w/him pointed out all the sights and sounds of interest.

His approach to the tour was very simple:

Engage the guest & have them inneract with each other via his "hey - lets check this out" kind of an approach. There were also many a time (since we were a small group) he allowed us to hop off and take pics where he couldnt normnally stop, then we would all hop quickly back on.

Hawaii-Oct2011pics442.jpg

and further into the tour:

The "7 pools" area?? (I hope I said that right!) - due to all the overnight rains, it became one HUGE waterfall!
hawaii324.jpg

ANYWHO -

We were having so much fun were made it to our lunch stop a weee bit late but no worries, were were only a tour group of 4 people.:goodvibes

The below video is from where we stopped for lunch:

After lunch, were continued onward checking over the bamboo, fruits, waterfalls....you name it we saw it.:)

Even saw a few sight film locations like Jurassic Park.popcorn::

** JUST DOUBLE CLICK ON YOUR MOUSE ON THE ABOVE VIDEO & IT WILL PLAY 4 U - TAKE NOTE HOW WINDY IT WAS THAT DAY **

And - how about a side of the mountain that oozes water??

**JUST DOUBLe RIGHT CLICK ON THE ABOVE VIDEO & IT WILL PLAY**

Yes, there were stretched of road that were extremely bumpy, curvy (we had to have traversed our way through approx 45 switch-backs) and what not but WOW! It sure added an extra element that I really enjoyed.

Per se, If ya can handle Disney's TOT, ya can handle this tour.:woohoo:

But alas, yyyeeeessssssss -

one of us did get a weeeeee bit 'car' sick during one of the windy curvy sections of the excursion:
hawaii395.jpg

- and HER name shall remain any-mouse!;)

She was from Japan but no worries, later on that day Taki had fun teaching her what a Mongoose looks like (long story) once she reagined her sense of self.

Later, we
saw Charles Linbergh's grave and small church:
hawaii351.jpg

Even made a stop on by a small winery:
hawaii407.jpg

Hawaii-Oct2011pics516.jpg

for some:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics510.jpg

Yes - they do give out free samples....:rolleyes1

The tour finished up around 5:30pm and with a heartfelt goodbye, I bid Taki farewell and headed out again in another shuttle van (who picked me up back at the shopping center) back to the Hyatt.

Imo,
this tour was a lot of fun and yes, I would highly recommend it over ANY tour in the island of Oahu. Again, just my opinion.

Arrived back at the Hyatt around 7pm and yup, ya guessed it -

I dropped off my food cooler back off at the front desk , took a quick dip in the shower and lights out very soon therefafter.

I am about to enter into a wake up call for 2am!!:eek:

Stay tuned -

UP NEXT:

Getting ready for a rockin' good time w/the crew of Maui Downhill (Sunrise)

Hawaii-Oct2011pics674.jpg

ALOHA

We haven't been to Hawaii in over 20 years (the trip just got too long). But my favorite food was the coconut syrup for pancakes and Maui Blanc wine. With the opening of Aulani I've been thinking alot lately about going back.

popcorn::DAY 6Wed; Nov 2nd
Partly sunny skies w/high temp of 84 degrees

Hawaii-Oct2011pics543.jpg

IT WAS COLD - VERY COLD!! But I was having too much fun to pay attention to the ragages of Mother Nature.

More in a moment.

Anywho -

2am hit me with a vengance but I was somewhat prepared by getting some much needed sleep the night before and yes - I was very apprecaitve that the front desk took very good care of me this day by making sure I was up and about at 2.

And I tell ya what, it took me the longest time to get my up and about up and about!! I think I forgot it somewhere but before I knew it, it was time to head out that door and some more Maui fun.

** And fun it was **:goodvibes

And thanks to Rita, I knew exactly where to go and who to look for when 3:20am rolled around as we were all counted for and off in our motorcoach to see the sunrise at the top of Haleakala mountain and its national park. We first made our way on over to Maui Downhill HQ and obtained all our biking gear that we would be needing for our biking section of our tour. Breakfast was short and quick: a cinamron roll and some water. Enough to do the trick.

Then, we were off to have fun checking out that sunrise.

The ride to the national park was very quiet; considering all of us very in various stages of sleep deprivation but hey - how many times do ya get a chance to see the sun rise at 10,028 elevation??

Now at the 6,000 mark, it began to cloud up. Soon all we could see was the road and could no longer see the city below us. Strange seeing clouds formations like that. While this was happening, I was looking up and seeing massive amounts of stars overhead. I could tell that this was going to be a start of a wonderful day.

** I wasn't dissapointed **popcorn::

Now at the 9,000 foot mark, it began to rain and get cold - I mean RREEAALLLYY CCOOLLDDDD. Up went my sweat shirt w/hood and my rain gear. very glad I also packed a flashlight as that would come in handy in a few minutes.

And at the 10,000 mark, we all arrived at the national park and slowly tumbled out of the motorcoach at about 5am w/most of us blindly making our way to the restrooms and subsequently the Visitor's center. I was very appreciative i brought my flashlight as it really helped me to see where I was going in all this pre-dawn festivities.

But very quickly, I gathered that it's just a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit cold so I donned on my hotel towel:

Now isn't that a picture for the front cover of GQ!! We all stood around for a bit until the center opened up and most of us scrambled into it like bees. There I decided to have some fun and do some shopping. Hey, they have a nice visitor center so why not??

Afterwards, it was time to see the rising sun - 6:22am:

I was dressed for the occassion:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics577-1.jpg

(NOW THAT'S FRONT COVER OF GQ MATERIAL IF I DON'T SAY MYSELF! :lmao:)

and -

** JUST DOUBLE CLICK OVER THE VIDEO W/YOUR MOUSE & IT WILL PLAY 4 YOU**

But seeing this made my frozen face and body feel all that much warmer:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics545-1.jpg

WOW!!! very beautiful .

Also very windy and downright blistering cold.

Then it began to mist.

Now here I am, leaning way over the railing snapping as many pics as i could in devilish cold windy and downright nasty misty-like rain:

AND HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE!!

Here is what it (the mountain) looks like from the inside:
DSC01869.jpg

Soon, it was time to tumble back into the motorcoach and back down to the 9,000 foot mark where we would begin our bicycle journey. AS we were slowly making our way downhill, the view was breathtaking:

Pic taken right before we got back into the motorcoach:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics628.jpg

and along the way, it ONLY took me 20 minutes to get the feeling back into my right hand!!
(THAT'S what I get for taking all those pics with my right hand exposed to the elements like that)

YE-OUCH!!

Soon we arrived at our destination with the chase vehicle close behind as we got all sized up for our bikes:

And one incredible ride down the side of that mountain that I will never forget.:woohoo:

COMING UP:

The joys of riding that bike while using no brakes (when we were given the ok to do so if we wanted to) -
Hawaii-Oct2011pics678.jpg

ALOHA

We haven't been to Hawaii in over 20 years (the trip just got too long). But my favorite food was the coconut syrup for pancakes and Maui Blanc wine. With the opening of Aulani I've been thinking alot lately about going back.

Aulani is a very beautifully placed property with lots to do and see - yes I would highly recommend atleast a 3 or 4 nighter there followed by either island of Maui or Kaui.

Now about those pancakes -

WOW!!!! but....I will admit I didn't try them with coconut syrup. ME BAD!!;)

Oh well - that just means a return trip 4 me!:cool1:

And yes - the Pinepple wine & Blanc wine over there was just wonderful -

One regret - I shoulda had some shipped back to my home!
It tasted good!!

ALOHA -

Aulani looks like a very nice destination hotel and have plans on taking a tour of it and seeing what one of their standard rooms looks like.:goodvibes

And the layout of their grounds is just FAB:thumbsup2..

We toured it last week. It's way too far from any place else, and not imo the nicest hotel (although it is nice) for the cost I've seen in HI. We might as well have been in a very very tall Polynesian cross Wilderness lodge with a lot more people, minus the parking fee (which I did get them to validate my parking for free..otherwise it would have been $35) with no parks.
The store across the street was packed with people stocking on on snacks and soda..Aulani snacks are very expensive. People were carrying in pizza from the place across the street.
It was raining off and on while we were there, so we were limited to how much time we spent outdoors, but we walked the beach, looked at the pool/lazy man's river, a room, walked through the hotel itself. Way too close to the other hotels..I guess I was just expecting something different...more like this: http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/beach_and_pools/ but to us, we thought it was just a very overpriced hotel with a few characters to get autographs from.

Not the person you were asking, but...If you take bonine, you'll prob enjoy it better. It's way too curvy for me..not something I enjoy. It's much nicer to not be the driver..you really have to watch the road. This trip we went up the other side and there was a nice paved road now!

Not the person you were asking, but...If you take bonine, you'll prob enjoy it better. It's way too curvy for me..not something I enjoy. It's much nicer to not be the driver..you really have to watch the road. This trip we went up the other side and there was a nice paved road now!

We are getting a convertible on Maui so I hope that will help ease any car-sickness any of us might encounter. Definately will take the Bovine too.

Oh, we're staying at the HHV on Ohau. I can't wait! It looks incredible. :)

The driver prob won't enjoy it as much as others..you really have to watch the road.

This was the first time in my life getting car sick...or I guess I should say car queasy.

We are getting a convertible on Maui so I hope that will help ease any car-sickness any of us might encounter. Definately will take the Bovine too.

Oh, we're staying at the HHV on Ohau. I can't wait! It looks incredible. :)

Since you are staying in Ohau, I strongly suggest the Segways! We didn't get a chance this time (we've rented them all over the us in the past) but friends did and loved it..they did the Diamond head tour. Now I'm kicking myself that we didn't make time. But we'll be back!

http://www.segwayofhawaii.com/

The driver prob won't enjoy it as much as others..you really have to watch the road.

This was the first time in my life getting car sick...or I guess I should say car queasy.

Since you are staying in Ohau, I strongly suggest the Segways! We didn't get a chance this time (we've rented them all over the us in the past) but friends did and loved it..they did the Diamond head tour. Now I'm kicking myself that we didn't make time. But we'll be back!

http://www.segwayofhawaii.com/

Bummer that it can't get you UP Diamond Head. :laughing: I did it once. But I want DD to do it too so I have to do it again. That is the longest 0.8 miles ever! We'll definately look in to it. It does look fun.

If you want some great food for a reasonable (by Hawaiian standard), Nico's (Oahu) is not to be missed. It was featured on the Food Channel's "Drive Ins, Diners and Dives". Nothing fancy - you order and pay at the counter, they call you when your food is ready. Styrofoam plates and plastic flatware, but the food is wonderful.

The furikake ahi is to die for. It's off Ala Moana Blvd at Pier 38.

I stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village, and it's wonderful - great beach, great beach bar, penguins, fish, and right in the middle of everything.

We toured it last week. It's way too far from any place else, and not imo the nicest hotel (although it is nice) for the cost I've seen in HI. We might as well have been in a very very tall Polynesian cross Wilderness lodge with a lot more people, minus the parking fee (which I did get them to validate my parking for free..otherwise it would have been $35) with no parks.
The store across the street was packed with people stocking on on snacks and soda..Aulani snacks are very expensive. People were carrying in pizza from the place across the street.
It was raining off and on while we were there, so we were limited to how much time we spent outdoors, but we walked the beach, looked at the pool/lazy man's river, a room, walked through the hotel itself. Way too close to the other hotels..I guess I was just expecting something different...more like this: http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/beach_and_pools/ but to us, we thought it was just a very overpriced hotel with a few characters to get autographs from.

hawaii044.jpg

Yes, I slyly did my homework while on vacation and asked around for the local's opinion about this hotel and surprisingly the opinions came across to me 60% to 40% of an attitude of "Nice hotel but what's out there to see?"

And yes, the parking fee??:eek:

But,
I am biased since I work for a Hotel so I was more focused in on Aulani's layout and how she looks to Guests; which to me is nice but yes - you are right - as in with anything Hawaii......it's also expensive.

I mean for example, a gallon of gas over there runs approximately $4.65/gallon!!:scared1:

So, the way I figure it, it's all a matter of style. NO, I would not reccommend her for a 7-nighter; only a 3 nighter at the very most as I would island hop on over to a much prettier /more attractive island like Maui or Kaui.:cloud9:

Anywho -

Yes, that gives away to a certain extent my opinion about Oahu but I promise to cover that and more in my very last installment of my trip report.popcorn::

- ALOHA -

Ie: "NO rainwater = no bathrooms."

Basically it has a ring of truth to it:

No rain for the mountain = no operating bathrooms up there.;)

Anywho - on with the story....

So we all arrive at our prescribed drop-off location and the tour leader gives us the "heads up" on how to operate the bicycle and the ground rules which are simple:

**SAFETY FIRST **

Any bunny-hopping, accident, crossing the median, etc = will get you a first class ticket into the chase van.

So we nodded our heads that we agree with the ground rules and soon we were off into the second leg of our excursion.

****** I WASN'T DISAPPOINTED ****

With the only exception of me getting my shoe laces caught up in the bike's spokes (before we all took off one time....DOH!!) the biking portion of this tour was really really fun. Overall, I would highly recommend this tour.

Safety was highly stressed and you can go at your own pace; even when the tour leader gave us the ok to use no brakes; and that occurred about 4 times. Most times, you HAD to use your brakes due to the ride being at such a steeeeeeeep decline.

After about 45 minutes, we all stopped for lunch.
DSC01896.jpg

It was here, I jumped back into the crash vehicle and broke out Cora's bag of goodies she made for me that day; from banannas to yogurt, it really hit the spot. **THANK YOU CORA **

Pic taken just right before lunch w/the tour leader:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics669-1.jpg

After that, we all saddled up again to finish out the ride and overall , the four times I used no brakes = WOW!!

Let's just say that I now have a healtyh respect for all those Tour de France bikers cuz I am guessing that I had to have been going about 35-40 mph during those 4 stretches!!

Soon tho the tour came to an end. We all said our good byes and I was off again back to the Hyatt for what I thought was going to be a 90 minute cat nap.

But what I walked into wasn't a cat nap; for I had forgotten that this was Rita's day off!!

What merriment awaits me back at the hotel??

STAY TUNED -popcorn::

COMING UP:

hawaii035.jpg

Getting that quick cat nap on my way to a very wonderful luau and meeting a very beautiful lady from Paris.
(No, that's NOT PARIS Texas!!)

- ALOHA -

** JUST DOUBLE RIGHT CLICK W/YOUR MOUSE OVER THE ABOVE VIDEO AND IT WILL PLAY 4 YOU **

ok - so where did I leave ya??

Oh yes - that luau -:goodvibes

So around 2:30p ish, I bop back into the Hyatt and was literally a running past Concierge when I notice that Rita wasn't in!!

OH OH!!

So lets just say after I (ok I will admit it) had a nuclear emotional meltdown, a very nice guy at Concierge (I wish I would remember his name!!) took the time to help me and got everything all set up/reconfirmed for me for later on that evening and for the next am.

The only issue is that by the time this occured, it was rapidlt approaching 3:30pm (yes, it actually took that long to get everything all set up and correct once again the mis-information my TA as well as Classic Vacations.com had given me via my travel itinerary).

SO choosing to make the best of it and besides, I knew I was in good hands with the Hyatt hotel, I made a bee-line back to my room and broke out Cora's bag of goodies- stepped off onto the balcony for a bit, and nibbled on some of what was in that treasure trove of a bag I had come to love and appreciate.

Before I knew it, it was time to play Superman and get showered, dressed and back out that door for a cab that was a waiting for me by Valet. It was now 4:30pm and I was no sleep.

OH WELL - it is what it is ya know?? Besides, I am on vacation!! WHAT'S SLEEP??:lmao:

The ride was nice as I barely remember it since I was fast asleep but awoke in time to pay the driver (he knew from Hyatt exactly where to take me and pick me up later , etc) and I arrived at a place that well - really put a nice ending to what is already a very enchanting day:

** The Old Lahaina Luau **
Hawaii-Oct2011pics726.jpg

Little did I realize that I was about to be seated next to a very nice young lady from Paris who knew very little English. How could I capitalize on this (in a Disney way of course!)...........

It was totally fun meeting our very kind & nice hostess/server for the evening's activities:
Hawaii-Oct2011pics698.jpg

I had the perfect opportunity late in the evening's festivities -

DETAILS COMING UPpopcorn::

(**just double click on the above video and it will play for you**)

- ALOHA -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter