MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" - October 2011 TRIP REPORT

Ok - so we did I last leave you?:confused:

With my Ireland adventure about to get underway shortly (see below trip report and follow along if ya want), I thought I would give all of you a quick shout out as to the updates on my vacationing into the Aloha state for the very first time.

For starters, it seems as if I always excel in getting myself in over my head on my "I wanna do this and this and this" bucket list of things I wanna do while on vacation - yet watch in amazement as I somehow find a way to traverse out of this "jam" and find myself right smack dab in the middle of one incredible adventure (I will take plenty of pics and video where & when I can I promise).:goodvibes

Thus, be on the lookout as this vacation is no exception; especially for November 1st and 2nd - as I expect to once again be on the go a lot.........from expereincing a 12 hour tour of Maui ("Heavenly Hana Maui-Kahului"), an approximately 7 hour bicycle tour from the top of the world's largest resting volcano ("Maui Downhill") to an Old Lahaina Luau, etc.

Sleep?

What's that??:lmao:

My answer to that is two words:

DR PEPPER:thumbsup2

Anywho -

Before I let toooo much info out - how about some introductions? My name is Kris and I love to travel and experience the world for all that it has to offer; especially the historical side of it. That's why I am off to the Aloha state.

To see Pearl Harbor, and what's up what that 5th midget sub? Have they actually located it??, etc.

And yes, ya can't forget your DOLE WHIP!
ya gotta have yer Dole Whip so be on the lookout for some pics of that while I am up and about visting where else but the Dole Plantation.

So, be on the lookout for more updates from yours truely as this advenure officially kicks off October 28th in Waikiki as I just am remembering something.....

This vacation is just around the corner!!:woohoo:
(just a little over 120 days away approx)

I will write more - I promise. But I gotta hop on back to my Ireland adventure........

Until next time, feel free to still check out the video I posted in my last posting (of the tiki hut & the cascading waterfall)........
That will put ya in the mood for all things Hawaii.......

and mabey -

just mabey -

it might.....

just might -

put ya in the mood to start humming a few lines from Disney's "Enchanted Tiki Room" song;).

UP NEXT:

So what goes good with a Dole Whip (snack wise) while you are visiting the Dole Plantation? Curious minds (me) wanna know,
my reaction to watching the (director's cut) movie "1941" for the first time and what's an adventure into Hawaii without a spa retreat?

Details coming up.popcorn::

T.T.F.N.

Just wrapped up my Ireland blog (listed below in my signature) and am now officially turning my attention to the Aloha state:cloud9:.

Give me a couple days off and yes,

this blog will be officially underway:woohoo:

T.T.F.N.

anywho -

my Question of the day is :

If you had to buy one souvineer (hope I spelled that right), what in your opinion wud u buy and why?

oops! that's two ?'s as the other one is do the hotels charge for beach chairs while on Waikiki beach??:confused3

I'm answering a little late but my favorite souvenir is the stained glass piece I bought in a small shop in the mall below the Hyatt Regency on Waikiki. It has a beautiful beach scene with the word "Hawaii" under it. I have it hung on the window above my kitchen sink so I see it many times a day and it reminds us all of our DD's Make A Wish trip.

I should add that we were surprised that there were very few souvenir shops (Besides the ABC Stores and the International Market) We kind of expected it to be a little more like Disney or the Wisconsin Dells. We were there just about a year ago. I think that my two older DD's got the last 2 hoodie sweatshirts on the island. Being from the Chicago area, they wear them quite a bit. ;)

To answer the second question, we stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Waikiki beach (across the street and a 1/2 block from the Outrigger) and they did not charge for beach chairs or large beach towels. We did have to give them our name and room# and when they were returned, it was checked off the list.

Edited to add...when we returned, I made a lot of of our own souvenir at artscow.com with photos that we had taken.

From the above poster - Daughtersrus:

I'm answering a little late but my favorite souvenir is the stained glass piece I bought in a small shop in the mall below the Hyatt Regency on Waikiki. It has a beautiful beach scene with the word "Hawaii" under it. I have it hung on the window above my kitchen sink so I see it many times a day and it reminds us all of our DD's Make A Wish trip.

I should add that we were surprised that there were very few souvenir shops (Besides the ABC Stores and the International Market) We kind of expected it to be a little more like Disney or the Wisconsin Dells. We were there just about a year ago. I think that my two older DD's got the last 2 hoodie sweatshirts on the island. Being from the Chicago area, they wear them quite a bit.

To answer the second question, we stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Waikiki beach (across the street and a 1/2 block from the Outrigger) and they did not charge for beach chairs or large beach towels. We did have to give them our name and room# and when they were returned, it was checked off the list.

Edited to add...when we returned, I made a lot of of our own souvenir at artscow.com with photos that we had taken.

------------------------------------------------------------------

hey Daughtersrus- a huuggee thank you about that suggestion. Stained glass DOES sound like a great sugggestion that would go great in my kitchen window. I will be on the lookout for it.

and yes, that is also nice to know about the chair/towell issue I had raised earlier.:woohoo:.

T.T.F.N.

DSC01161.jpg

.....total bliss via relaxing by the beach and watching a beautiful sunset with a margarita in hand.:goodvibes

But.......

Just be aware that my vacation starts out slow, picks up speed then ends with a really nice Cirque circus production and lest we not forget - a spa retreat on November 4th at 9am.:woohoo:

ANYWHO -

WoW!!

What a difference a few days make!! It has been fun hanging out in Ireland but now my attention is on the Aloha State!! So, first things first:

I GOTTA TELL THOSE PESKY LEPRECHAUNS TO GET OUTTA MY SUITCASE!!:upsidedow

Ok.....got that done.:yay:

Now I gotta begin to think ahout what to repack in my 26 inch suitcase for this adventure cuz part of my plans entail me hittin the beach somewhere around 4pm on October 28th at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach hotel(water front hotel room view) with an adult beverage that I have yet to decide on.

A Mango margarita perhaps??

Then head out and do some shopping @ the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center followed by a relaxing dinner.......somewhere.

Ah choices....choices.....:cloud9:

And speaking of choices, I am still reading and looking over what you have been saying so far about food choices - day one and food choices is just me and something......something to knaw on.

Hmmmmm....yes - seafood Does sound good. I will be housed at Waikiki beach (Q: Is that the windward side of the island??) for a few days so I welcome additional pointers on where to find seafood reataurants close by the Outrigger.

that Alan Wong restaurant does sound good....kinda thinking outloud here - bear with me.
and yes, I am out to try different kinds of food but WOW!! Ok....gotta try the white chocolate macadamia nut pancakes in the am of my Day 2!!

YYUUMM!!

So, please please please please feel free to hit me up with as many restaurant choices as possible as I will take them to the hotel's concierge's area and ask, "Where is this in relation to the hotel?" and either cab it or walk there.

ANYWHO -

so from there, things really pick up speed the next 2 days before I head out for the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa (Maui).

So until next posting, keep on traveling.:goodvibes

UP NEXT:popcorn::

Halloween activities out in Hawaii & the start of my dieting weight loss totals

T.T.F.N.

DSC01185.jpg

That Aloha spirit is really now quite catching for me as just a few more weeks, it will be just me and the sandy beaches of Hawaii:goodvibes.

And yes, I have been giving you all a few snippets of what I will be doing but hey....why not tell ya what I have got up my sleeve say......starting from day 1?

So,popcorn::
I'd figure after day one of getting acclimated to the area, I will be off and running for a 9 hour tour ("Grand Circle Island Tour") of Oahu (Oct 29th) followed by a 5 hr tour of Pearl Harbor, Arizona Memorial and Punchbowl (Oct 30th).

From there, things really really rreeaally pick up speed for me; esp November 1, 2nd, 3rd and 4th (Maui) as yyeesssss, plan on seeing yours truely experiencing 13-14 hour days on my feet doing assorted tours and other what nots.

I have the "Heavenly Hana Maui-Kahulu Adventure tour" (7am to 7pm ) on November 1st and.....
....ah, experiencing the "Maui Downhill" bike ride in the early am hours of November 2nd followed by the Old Lahaina Luau -

Now that's just a friendly reminder to all as to why I live off of Dr Pepper (or Coca Cola if no Dr Pepper around) when I am on an adventure.:woohoo:

....then turn around and take a BACK to downtown Maui in the early am hours of November 3rd to experience a 6 hour Trilogy excursion (sailing tour) for one.........
(looking forward to those cinnamon rolls and a beverage):yay:

FYI: I must be at the Ma'alae Harbor no later than 7:30am for this....

....get back to the hotel around 3pm......take a 60 minute cat nap ...... then shower

and

then turn around and check out the "Cirque Polynesia Maui" at 5:30pm that same day.

CATCH ALL THAT??;)

So saddle up ya'll and prepare to have fun with me experiencing Hawaii and all that it has to offer. From the good, bad to the "what the heck?" I will do it.

Even tempted to learn officially how to do the hula -
(OUCH! Talk about a you tube moment):rotfl:.

The effort....it's all about the effort.....

Oh, and while I am over there, I plan on rediscovering some Icka WITHOUT it being covered in chocolate.
and only put ONE strand of it in my mouth at a time;).

(ok...quick backstory - I had a Guest bring some back from Maui for me to try and he hand dipped in in Ghiradeli chocolate...so I put a great BIG ol wad of it in my mouth.........).....

the tatse??
Ummmmmm.....have you ever eaten a pancake and an uncooked portion of it suddenly "poofed" in your mouth?????

Well....that's how it felt/tasted as I was trying frantically to swish enuf spit around the Icka to get a relativelty good tatste of it but WOW!!

It tasted like salty tenny shoe laces with an attitude!!

Then again, he DID tell me to only put one strand in my mouth at a time....:headache:

DOH!!

Ah well, this is another reason why I am going to Hawaii......

BUT......

I promise to have a Dole Whip standing by JUST in case:laughing:.

ANYWHO -

Now about my weight loss totals:

Weight I want to lose: 12 to 15r pounds

Total weight dropped so far: TWO.

Weight left to lose: 12.

Hey, I just lost my dieting partner ("Ladybug" my 14 yr old Female Beagle) 3 weeks ago, but I am putting forth the effort. Too many health issues and I had to put her down. NOT a good day for me that day. I still miss her.

But hey, her spirit will live in my heart.

Ok, enuf fer now - gotta go.

Been hearing of a few things going on over Halloween - got dinner ressies at 6pm at the Hyatt on that day so I am still looking for what's up on Maui that evening. Will keep you all posted.

Until next time,

keep on traveling:goodvibes

&

T.T.F.N.

UP NEXT:

what I am choosing to pack in my suitcase, more weight loss totals & the one souvineer that IMO best represent Hawaii and why.

Since you will be at the Outrigger in Waikiki, it will be so convenient to eat at Duke's in that building. There is entertainment daily, but the big attraction is on Sunday, when Henry Kapono performs. The restaurant upstairs is called Hula Grill. The prices for Happy Hour are so much better than the prices downstairs at Duke's! I suggest the crab-mac nut wontons, mahi fish sandwich and any of the cocktails. Then you can always sit on the beach for the rest of the entertainment. There are great views of Diamond Head. Get there early and enjoy!

Also, there are many nice shops on the first floor of your hotel for souvenirs. We've purchased Duke's t-shirts and Henry Kapono cds (Duke's on Sundays!). On one of our visits, Jimmy Buffet showed up and sang with Henry!! :yay: They have performed together. Across the street is the International Marketplace -- it's large and a good place to buy other souvenirs, like cheap t's, and even luggage.

Since you will be at the Outrigger in Waikiki, it will be so convenient to eat at Duke's in that building. There is entertainment daily, but the big attraction is on Sunday, when Henry Kapono performs. The restaurant upstairs is called Hula Grill. The prices for Happy Hour are so much better than the prices downstairs at Duke's! I suggest the crab-mac nut wontons, mahi fish sandwich and any of the cocktails. Then you can always sit on the beach for the rest of the entertainment. There are great views of Diamond Head. Get there early and enjoy!

Cool! Thanks for the tip as for my first day over there, yes - I wanna get acclimated to the area, etc b 4 I am off and runnin'....so -

Hula Grill it is for cocktails but gotta ask about the crab-mac nut wontons, etc.......is that over in Dukes or the Hula Grill??

And sittin' on the beach? OH YEA:woohoo: - that to be is just the pinacle of how to cap off a beautiful day out in Hawaii....watching the sunset w/a Mango margarita in yer hand.....or a Hurricane in your hand....etc.

But yessss....I really appreciate the tips as this will be my very first visit to the Aloha state.:cloud9:

If you do eat at Duke's save room for the Hula pie. :thumbsup2

What's Hula pie??:confused3

Ya got me curious:goodvibes

T.T.F.N.

Won tons at HG, pie at Duke's. Search on google for Hula Pie -- photos, recipes and even a You Tube post. It's really a big portion... yum! Hope that you like ice cream, fudge, and mac nuts.

Won tons at HG, pie at Duke's. Search on google for Hula Pie -- photos, recipes and even a You Tube post. It's really a big portion... yum! Hope that you like ice cream, fudge, and mac nuts.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo in on Hula pie!!!!

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Recently I have been looking at a menu from Ghiradeli's (Downtown Disney) &
wondering what potential I wud have in regards to this (while in Hawaii) and -

VIOLA!!:goodvibes

UP pops your suggestion!!

Cudn't be any better:)

Thank you for this wonderful suggestion.

Of course you know what this means................:confused3

Update coming up next posting on my weight loss totals:laughing:.

T.T.F.N.

P.S. I just Googled this and WOW!!! THAT PIE LOOKKSSSS DELIC!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2

I was born and raised on Oahu and have never heard of Duke's or hula pie, but it sounds so good!!! What is it?

I was born and raised on Oahu and have never heard of Duke's or hula pie, but it sounds so good!!! What is it?

FROM A GOOGLE SEARCH:

Let me introduce you to a new pie that your taste buds will love! Meet the hula pie.:cloud9:

What’s a hula pie, you ask? It’s a very generous serving of macadamia nut ice cream on top of a chocolate cookie crust. Then this decadence is topped with chocolate fudge sauce, whipped cream and more macadamia nuts. Sound good? Did I just hear your stomach growl? Or was that mine?

We took this photo of a hula pie that we shared at Duke’s Kauai Restaurant. If I remember correctly, the plate was about nine or ten inches in diameter, so maybe that will give you an idea of how big this dessert actually is. It is definitely very sharable for two or more people.:yay:

Hula pie is so famous that the TS Restaurants even have a web page devoted to the pie with suggestions for how to eat it. You can navigate to that page from this link.

When you’re on Maui, Kauai, or Oahu, I’d recommend you try one of the TS Restaurants where they serve the hula pie. They all have an open-air, casual, island atmosphere. They serve fresh island fish as well as beef and chicken dishes. All of the restaurants in the collection have great ocean views. I’ve personally enjoyed dining at

Duke’s Kauai – Located on the East side of Kauai in the Kauai Marriott
Duke’s Waikiki – Located on Oahu at the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel
Kimo’s – Located on Maui in Lahaina
Hula Grill Kaanapali – Located at Whalers Village shopping center on Maui’s Kaanapali Beach. (At this location, there are tables that are literally on the beach and it’s fun to kick your shoes off and let your toes play in the sand.) 2011 Update: looks like Hula Grill has pulled Hula Pie off their menu.
Leilani’s on Kaanapali Beach at Whalers Village
To see the entire collection of TS Hawaii Restaurants, click here. If you plan to go to one of these restaurants for dinner, I’d suggest you book a reservation as these restaurants are pretty popular.

If you are looking for other Kauai Restaurants, you’ll find loads of helpful information in this comprehensive Kauai restaurant and review guide

Originally posted at: Hula Pie! Oh my! http://www.govisithawaii.com/2007/10/22/hula-pie-oh-my/#ixzz1VWMSpAR9

T.T.F.N.

Best place to stay-if you qualify-the Hale Koa ( warriors house) Armed forces recreation center on ft DeRussy ( its actually on Waikiki right next to the hilton hawaiian village) or Bellows Air Force Recreation Center on Windward Oahu.
Best food-Keniki's plate lunch in Wiamanalo-looks like a hole i the wall-great local food and not expensive. the North shore shrimp shacks, Malasada's at Leonards bakery in Honolulu, mac nut pancakes at Kimo and Boots in Kialua.Chocolate pie at teds bakery on the northshore.
Best entertainment-the night show at the Polyniesian Cultural Center.
Best souvenier-generally hawaiian jewelery or aloha wear-personally a black washable silk dress that i got at hilo hattie for next to nothing-it goes in all kinds of situations and travels great.
Best site to see-outside of Pearl Harbor-which along with ground 0 everyone should see once in their life-the view at the Pali Lookout,the winter surf on the Northshore and the Whales in the spring ( also since you will be there over Halloween-downtown Honolulu on Halloween night. Just dont take youngsters cause its anything but G rated)

Best place to stay-if you qualify-the Hale Koa ( warriors house) Armed forces recreation center on ft DeRussy ( its actually on Waikiki right next to the hilton hawaiian village) or Bellows Air Force Recreation Center on Windward Oahu.
Best food-Keniki's plate lunch in Wiamanalo-looks like a hole i the wall-great local food and not expensive. the North shore shrimp shacks, Malasada's at Leonards bakery in Honolulu, mac nut pancakes at Kimo and Boots in Kialua.Chocolate pie at teds bakery on the northshore.
Best entertainment-the night show at the Polyniesian Cultural Center.
Best souvenier-generally hawaiian jewelery or aloha wear-personally a black washable silk dress that i got at hilo hattie for next to nothing-it goes in all kinds of situations and travels great.
Best site to see-outside of Pearl Harbor-which along with ground 0 everyone should see once in their life-the view at the Pali Lookout,the winter surf on the Northshore and the Whales in the spring ( also since you will be there over Halloween-downtown Honolulu on Halloween night. Just dont take youngsters cause its anything but G rated)

I have finally found the time to take a step back and really study everyone's suggestions about food and from what I can see, it looks like the North Shore is where I need to be for food as seafood is what i like:woohoo:.

On the Maui side ? I am still reading and am dont mind fielding suggestions.

Nontheless, a huge thank you to all on this and this is really really helpful for me in understanding what i want and where, etc. Also helps me to cut down on getting to my destination and THEN asking ?'s.........

That way I can hit the places that I want , meet people and have fun conversing while living life the way its meant to be lived:

HAVING FUN -
and in the process have a few Rita's and other assorted what nots in the evening while decompressing;).

So YES to all, this is very helpful to me - A HUGE :thumbsup2

And yes, your suggestion about the bakeries I have cut and pasted in my hotmail acct; will promise to post a few bakery pics:goodvibes.

BEST SOUVINEER? I have finally decided on your suggestion and another person's as well:

jewelry and stained glass.

ANYWHO -

DSC01188.jpg

on each adventure I enbark on, I choose to put together a collection of I-pod music that helps me to decompress during my daily life; esp during rush hour traffic.
I put them together in order of the tempo/pace of my vacation - thus setting the mood for me to be in a state of relaxation while driving. And we ALL know too well how much fun rush hour traffic can be.:eek:

So w/o any further adieu, here is what I am currently llistening to on my I-pod:

1) "Hawaii 5-0" Tv theme.
2) "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride" by Mark Keali
3) "Surf Paina" by Sean Na Auro
4) 'Rhythm of the Ocean" by Hawaiian Style Band
5) "Tiny Bubbles" by Don Ho
(hey...ya jjuusttt gotta have Don Ho on your I-pod shuffle)

6) "He Mele no Lilo" by Mark Keali
7) "Tropical Love" by Doc Powell
8) "It's 5 O'clock Somewhere" by Alan Jackson
9) Come to the Carnival" by New Islanders
10) "Superstition" by Raven-Symone
11) "Thriller" by Michael Jackson
12) "Monster Mash" by Borris Picket
13) 'The Munsters' Tv show theme
14) "Surfing on the East Side" by Troy Fernandez
15) "Katchi Katchi music Makawao" by Willie K
16) "Pi'L Mai Kai Nala" by Rob Kahahalau
17) "Volcano" by Jimmy Buffett
18) "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffett
19) "Songbird" by Kenny G
(for all those sunsets):cloud9:

20) "No Shirt, No shoes, No Problem" by Kenny Chesney
21) "Back to the Island" by Jimmy Buffett

and......

22) "I will be There (We are Ohana)" by the Hawaiian Style band

Now if I cud just find the Hawaiian Punch tv commercial audio;).

Q: Did I miss any?? Feel free to chime in w/your suggestions:goodvibes.

Ok - a fairly good selection bbuutttt "Goofy Question" time for all you who have been over to Honolulu and the Maui areas:

For a top 40, current hits kinda of a radio station.....what do I have for a choice?? I wud like to listen to some good music while I am out in the am jogging.

vacationing's fun but I gotta remove SoMe of those pesky pounds that I gain back during these days of fun.:upsidedow

Crazy thing I discovered the other day for dieting:

USE SMALLER PLATES.

I know!

Strange but I am finding out that it is helping me reduce the intake of dem pesky calories:).:)

TOPIC CHANGE!!

hey.....wud I need to pack an umbrella or take one with me whereever I go??

Ireland just popped into my mind and I am wondering if this is the same for Hawaii.

Okey dokey........it's getting time for pro football season here in the DFW area so that means more occupancy for us where I work at so this vacation cudnt come at a better time.

Last year??

remember when the Texas Rangers were in the World Series??

Well.........

Where was I??

WALT DISNEY WORLD:laughing: (see below blog)

PST......we were SOLD OUT 2 weeks prior and two weeks after -

COMING UP NEXT:

The receiving of the travel documents, being thankful for a direct flight & final preperations for an adventure of a lifetime:

** MY VERY FIRST VACATION TO HAWAII **

Stay Tunedpopcorn::

T.T.F.N.

My recommendations:

For food: yogurland, tryed it for brunch last time I was in honolulu and it was AMAZING!!! There is also a great cuban place in chinatown(of all places) called soul de cuba that has a really nice ambiance and the food is to die for.

For fun: there are all kinds of things to do in hawaii, most of my trips have been to Oahu, and the beach still remains my favorite. Lanikai beach is, in my opinion, the best setting. There is a company called Hawaii Beach Time that delivers everything you could ever want to have at the beach right to you. Last time we were there we rented their "for 2" package at Lanikai, which is a 2 person kayak, 2 really nice beach chairs, 2 snorkel sets, a cooler filled with ice, and an umbrella for $119 a day. SOOOOOO worth it. They deliver to any beach on the island so definitely look them up

Hotel: the edition in waikiki. Its a very nice new upscale hotel that owned by marriot. We loved it. :banana:

just requested for my travel docs!!:woohoo:

Should be here in about a week.:goodvibes

In other news:
Just found out there is a place to snorkel just right to the Sheraton hotel in Maui so off I go to pack my snorkel gear in my suitcase.:)

Will update with more details shortly including the status on my quest for a new Beagle tri-colored puppy.popcorn::

until then -

T.T.F.N.

Ya know what that means???

That means I had fun ripping open the box in nothing flat to get at my.....

TRAVEL DOCS!!!!!!!!:woohoo:

It is starting to sink in -

:upsidedow"I am now in 100% offical Hawaii mode":goodvibes

Now, I have to turn my attention to packing my suitcase and somehow fit in buying a Beagle puppy just right after I return from this adventure....then head off to a DCL adventure in January.popcorn::

I am thinking I will have new Beagle puppy pics be the very last thing I post of this blog - why not?

ANYWHO -

I will begin to pick up the pace of updates and such from now on so be on the lookout and besides, I just checked the weather for Oahu - LOOKS JUST WONDERFUL - with highs in the upper 80's and lows in the upper 60's.......couldn't be any better.:cloud9:

allrightee -

until next time.

T.T.F.N.

&

Aloha

UP NEXT:
packing my underwater camera & other last minute suitcase shenanigans and just what is the final weight of my O-n-E suitcase, etc.

:woohoo:.

Enjoying a very lazy Saturday while listening to Radio Disney in the background.

Beginning now get things together for what I will be a needin' for this adventure:

MY VERY FIRST TREK INTO THE ALOHA STATE:goodvibes

Only 300 more hours and the adventure begins......

DETAILS COMING UPpopcorn::

T.T.F.N.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts