My 1st Delux Stay, so dissapointed:(

I think what many don't realize is that Disney themed resorts are more about the "theme" and less about Disney.

Actually AOA and Movies to me are the only truly Disney resorts. All the others have a theme, even Pop Century, and everyone has to decide which theme appeals to them.

We find the theme of AKL to be very calm and soothing, even the darkness.

To me the theme that would most likely appeal to POP lovers in a deluxe is Boardwalk.

I think the photos on the new website give a very good representation of the rooms and lobby areas.

I agree it is inconvenient to take a shuttle to the Mara to eat when you are tired. But you had a 1 bedroom suite which has a full kitchen!!! Why on earth could you not have breakfast in your room?!

I was supposed to be staying at the a standard room at Jambo House. I didn't come prepared from home with foods. I also used Disney transportation systems, so it's not like I could hop in my car just to go grab some food to make. & Honestly I was there to Vacation, not make food. We were on the meal plan so in room service would take 2 table service ( so not worth it).. The quick service at the mara was the only source of food since we were stuck in the hotel for 2 days...

Maybe if someone is truly uncertain they could hop over to a resort and have lunch or dinner there to check it out first to get a feel for the resort.

Again, sorry your experience was so bad. Luckily, Disney has so many resorts for people to stay at to appease everyone's tastes. :goodvibes

OP I am sorry you didn't like AKV-- but you know what that's OK! That is why there are so many different resorts of various themes at Disney. Hopefully there's something for everybody.

I quoted the above disneybliss because hubby and I had dinner at AKL one trip and hubby was less than enthusiastic about the resort. It was nice and all just not 'his thing' from his impressions having dinner there and visiting. The next year we ended up booking there for part of our trip when we traveled with my brother's family for the kids so they could see the animals.... in actually staying there he really enjoyed it and liked it a lot more than he thought he would.

We've stayed at SSR and again we enjoyed our time there but it's just not for us but I know others who love it; same for Caribbean Beach --not our thing. We do consider POR/POFQ our favourite non DVC place to stay.

I'm sorry you didn't like AKL, but at least you tried it and know it's not for you. We've had two stays at AKL and love the resort, but not every resort is for every person/family. That is one of the many things I love about Disney.....there is a resort to fit everyone's budget and taste :).

DonoMoose said:
Very Simple, I told them I needed to do 1 of 2 things. 1 Get a Bigger room & stay with them or 2 go to a Suit at AOA... They came back asking for almost 2,000 dollars for their 1 Bedroom upgrade & I said NO, please check & see if I can go to AOA.. Instead they came back & offered it to me complimentary so I could stay with them...

Wow, you are very lucky, they really had no reason to give you this upgrade for free. I wouldn't say it's "very simple" to get such a big upgrade when it's not disney's fault for some reason.

Sorry AKL isn't for you, I agree with others, pictures of the resort beforehand might have helped, at least you know for the future. Thankfully everyone has different tastes so we don't all end up at the same resort.

Gotta love how some of the posters just can't help themselves from making backhanded insults about the values to the OP. You know like...good things we have those cheapy values for those without taste. :rolleyes1

To each their own, I hate the plain old double beds and undertheming of values, large statues and big cutouts are not as wonderful to me as the deep themeing of the deluxes.

Mostly I'm astounded that in this day and age, with endless photos and videos documenting every WDW resort all available for free on line, anyone would book a resort (especially an expensive deluxe) without having a very good idea of what the resort was like--lobby, rooms, food options, transportation, the works.

Why risk being unpleasantly surprised? :confused3

And while I'm being puzzled, I'll also admit to being puzzled by folks who complain that a given resort is "not Disney enough." The Contemporary is a frequent target of this complaint. How can the flagship resort of Walt Disney World, the first resort built, conceived by Disney, designed by Disney, and located in the heart at WDW, not be "Disney enough"? How can you possibly get any more Disney than that? :confused3

If the DISboards prove anything, it's that all of us have many, many things we like that are Disney, and many, many things we dislike that are Disney. Just because something is not to my taste doesn't mean that it's not Disney. It just means it is a Disney thing that is not to my taste. :)

Gotta love how some of the posters just can't help themselves from making backhanded insults about the values to the OP. You know like...good things we have those cheapy values for those without taste. :rolleyes1

Really................I did not see that posted anywhere. :confused3

Everyone is different, has different tastes and likes--that is what makes Disney a perfect vacation. There is something for EVERYONE! We have stayed at value, moderate, deluxe and DVC.

We are the exact opposite, though. Our week stay at Kidani began in a family suite at the All Star Sports. We had one night there before heading to Kidani. I could not WAIT to get out of the All Star. It was noisy, small and crowded, even for just our family of 4. I love the decor and how Disney works their magic with the themes, but we just like PLUSH. It helps that we have DVC, as well. Our first stay before DVC was at WL and next at the Poly, so we kind of set the bar high. We have stayed at WL, Poly, CSR, BCV, All-Star Sports, AK Kidani (don't know the abbreviations), CBR, SSR and will be at BLT in 2 weeks. So far, WL, Poly and AKL are our favs.

The AKL, to me, is more than magical. You get a real feeling of what a majestic African Safari lodge would feel like. When the draperies were open during the day, our 2BD was BRIGHT and AIRY. At night, it felt warm and cozy.

But, I can definitely see how that theme isn't for everyone. I don't like SSR, YCBC or GF decor and those are all deluxe. GF is probably the last place I would choose to stay. Anyway, I hope you have better luck next time and you get to stay where YOUR heart desires! :)

Hey happen to love Pop Century too!!!

It is a fun place. Now if I did not have DVC - then Pop Century would be my choice.

even with the All stars now less expensive - they just don't feel like Pop.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the AKL. We stayed there two years ago and can't wait to go back. We are staying at Pop for one night next month and I'm already dreading it. It's a business trip and it's our best option as far as business expenses. Personally, if it were any longer, I'd pay the difference and stay at a moderate out of my pocket. I don't like the values at all -- too loud, too busy and too crowded.

But that's the great thing about Disney...there is a resort that fits everyones wants and needs.

DonoMoose said:
The rooms: brown, brown & more brown, earth tones, well, you get the idea.. Yes I understand this place is African themed but would a splash of color kill anyone? I felt this place so Vanilla for my own taste let alone through the eyes of a child. I guess when I think Disney, I picture, loud, fun, bright, bright, bright, just exciting! & for me this was just NOT!!

This is exactly what draws us to the Deluxe resorts. There's enough that's loud and colorful in the parks, and at the end if the day we want to retreat to something quiet, understated, and relaxing. Just our personal preference.

Wow, you are very lucky, they really had no reason to give you this upgrade for free. I wouldn't say it's "very simple" to get such a big upgrade when it's not disney's fault for some reason.

Sorry AKL isn't for you, I agree with others, pictures of the resort beforehand might have helped, at least you know for the future. Thankfully everyone has different tastes so we don't all end up at the same resort.

Hi, I didn't demand, kick & scream or beg for anything so it was very simple.. All I did was explain that my baby was sick & due to the fact that I didn't know how long my family of 5 was going to be stuck in the room for, I needed more space. I didn't expect them to do any accommodation which is why I was perfectly fine with going to AOA but "they chose" to upgrade out of "their" own will. I never implied it was Disney's fault that my child got sick, I simply requested a larger room and it was granted. Simple..

Mostly I'm astounded that in this day and age, with endless photos and videos documenting every WDW resort all available for free on line, anyone would book a resort (especially an expensive deluxe) without having a very good idea of what the resort was like--lobby, rooms, food options, transportation, the works.

And while I'm being puzzled, I'll also admit to being puzzled by folks who complain that a given resort is "not Disney enough." The Contemporary is a frequent target of this complaint. How can the flagship resort of Walt Disney World, the first resort built, conceived by Disney, designed by Disney, and located in the heart at WDW, not be "Disney enough"? How can you possibly get any more Disney than that? :confused3

If the DISboards prove anything, it's that all of us have many, many things we like that are Disney, and many, many things we dislike that are Disney. Just because something is not to my taste doesn't mean that it's not Disney. It just means it is a Disney thing that is not to my taste. :)

I did look at pictures online.. Viewed some youtube videos... I thought it all looked beautiful but in staying the entire week it was just not what my family prefers "when we go to Disney"... I would stay at AKL if I was doing a weekend get away at some Ski lodge because with snow on the ground this is when we prefer a tranquil resort.. During our Disney trips, we prefer it loud, bright & colorful. We never knew we felt this way until we experienced AKL. Something was missing for us and I am very glad we were able to put our finger on it...

I understand what you are saying OP. We stayed at AKL in Feb. I was excited to stay at a deluxe but overall just found the resort to be "blah."

We stayed at AKL twice. 1st time was just me and DH. We loved it ! I always wanted to do an African Safari Vacation though... but prob could never afford it and not to mention too afraid of African BUGS!:scared:: So for us this was ideal. We got to experience a vacation that was as close to actually going to Africa as you can get w/o even leaving the country ! Some days didn't even leave the resort. Just relaxed on our balcony or poolside...was like 2 vacations in one! Truly enjoyed the relaxation and wildlife. Very beautiful & unique.

However, back in 08 took our 3 y.o. DGD and did a DVC point rental split stay AKL/OKW. Maybe b/c she was so young, whatever, it probably was not the best choice...neither of the resorts were. I was mad at myself for NOT picking POP or AS !!! I agree that with young children values would be a better choice. By that I mean better than AKL. Mods and some of the deluxe would be wonderful with children too. They offer a bit more than the values as far as sit down restaurants etc. for those of us looking for a little extra from our resorts. We are finally staying at the POLY next month and even with our DGD now 8, I think it is going to be fantastic ! However, I know we would not take her back to AKL any time soon...it just felt wrong for us too, with our 3 y.o. that is. I would def go back to AKL, but only as an adult only trip. ;)

Couldn't agree with you more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter