Must-do's for a 5 year old & 3 year old? Non-rides

Does this require a Fast Pass?
It depends on the time of day and year. We were at a MNSSHP and on the way out of the park after the fireworks we saw it was 10 minutes so we hopped in line. You can get a FP if you want. I guess if it's a priority and you dont want to wait long or the only time you can is during peak hours, I would grab a FP.
It was one of my favorite memories of our last trip. Mickey was talking about how lions roar. My DD roared real loud. My DS must've thought her said roll. He got down on the floor and started rolling. Mickey laughed so hard he went down to one knee with his hand over his face.

We waited an hour to see talking Mickey. We were there during a busy week and he was always had at least a 40-60 minute wait. If my kids want to see him on our next trip, I am going to get a fast pass.

AKL has a lot of great activities for the kids if you spend a day at the resort or do afternoon breaks. DD made a feeder for the giraffes, learned about animal tracking, decorated a cookie at Boma, and played African drums. There are many more - you can check out the activities guide for your week They give little plastic charms at each activity to make a bracelet. We only had one day there as we stayed just two nights at the end of our trip with friend's DVC points, so did not have time to try more. Also there is a splash area for kids at the Kidani pool that you can use.

As mentioned above, the Epcot Kidcot stops are fun, and the Wilderness Explorers books in AK, and you can do a few or more of each depending on your time and kids' interests, and then can continue them on your next trip!

These are all great ideas! Also Mickey's Backyard BBQ - but bring ear protection (it can be loud and sensory overload) - but the boat ride to Ft. Wilderness, and meeting Mickey and Minnie afterwards, was really fun for our ODD. The food, eh, you're not really there for the food.

Tons of great ideas here! We will be there in December! My DD6 will definitely be wanting to do everything princess! Who knows what my DS3 will end up liking Hah!

The pirate treasure hunt is really fun too. Over in adventureland you get a map and search for the clues to find the treasure. My 6 year old loooved it.

I was about to ask a similar question so I'm glad I saw this thread! Taking my 4 and 6 year old nieces to WDW for their first trip in June and wondering what things they'll love/remember/talk about the most. One of the things I remember most clearly about MY first trip when I was little was taking the boat back to Ft Wilderness at the end of the night from the MK. Oh and all the armadillos running around FW - as a kid from the upper midwest, those things were sure a shock!

Club Cool at Epcot, Mitzukoshi Department at Japan Pavilion (if interested in hello kitty or pokemon)

It's Tough to be a Bug at AK and the Dino play area

Pirates League (mermaid or pirate experience) and peoplemover at night at MK

Ice cream on the boardwalk (after a day at epcot)

If one or both of your kids are girls, kid mani or pedi at Senses Spa Grand Floridian.

Visiting the ponies and horses at WL Tri Circle D Ranch.

My kids were terrified of It's tough to be a bug. The big grasshopper can be quite scary.

5 is at the younger end of the spectrum, so the kids would need some help from parents, but I strongly recommend scavenger hunts like Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (go to the Firehouse in Town Square) and A Pirates Adventure (Adventureland MK, past Pirates of the Caribbean next to the Golden Oak Outpost). Little kids will have a blast using their MagicBands (or keycard) to "activate" all the special effects and special portals, and they loved collecting the cards. Sorcerers is easy (you can hold up literally ANY card, it doesn't matter, so it's not complicated) and can take you all over the Magic Kingdom. Pirates Adventure has 5 different missions, all with really cool special effects. Even better is when random people stop to ask, "How did you do that?" and the kid feels super special. We could have literally spent ALL DAY doing those two games in the MK. Haven't tried Wilderness Explorers yet in Animal Kingdom, but it's another scavenger hunt.

Also, playground-type adventuring always appeals. Tom Sawyer Island is great. My son could have spent HOURS "shooting trains" from the crow's nest rifles. My kids could have bounced across the barrel bridges over and over again. Dumbo also has a nice indoor playground where parents can relax for a while, even if you don't want to ride the ride. The Boneyard in Animal Kingdom is another awesome playground. Too bad Hollywood Studios got rid of their playground.

How will we know where to find Cinderalla and the other characters?
here's a website that has a list of characters...

https://www.kennythepirate.com/disney-world-character-schedules/

But for just cinderella -- the only place that is free is the Princess Hall next to Carousel behind the castle in Fantasy land (it'll be on your right as you're coming out of the back of the castle.

You can also see her at 3 different dining venues (Akershus, CRT, and 1900 Park Fare dinner).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter