Ms. Shuttergirl's dreaming of a White Christmas...Days 28-32 done, Boston & Washingto

5 hrs of shopping.....impressed I am.......thats why you only take one pair of old shoes, ditch them cause you always come home with more!

my visa card is forming a support group for all the the abused and overworked cards we have, so I'll pass along your name for your credit cards to join:thumbsup2

awesome reporting as per usual.....and i do love me my Epcot at close..watching all the drunks try to walk "sober"....:sad2:

Oh, an update to go with lunch. Thanks Ms Shuttergirl.

I am so needing to go to WDW, I'm thinking the same time as you in 2015. Be warned, I will be asking questions.

Keep enjoying yourself.

Oh Ms Shuttergirl, two days of updates, what a treat!! :cool1:

I am amazed at the weather you are having and it's making me feel better about being limited to go in December from now on. However I do recall reading at TR of Shushh's when the did WDW in the winter and it was freezing. So you must be very lucky!

A Pina Colada means holiday to me too :thumbsup2 Normally consumed sitting at a pool bar in the tropics though :rotfl2:

I just looked at my world clock on iPad, it doesn't have Orlando, but in Miami it is 1:00am and 22degreesC ! That sounds perfect!!

!

I found one trip that a shoe box was an excellent way to pack those breakable XMas decorations. I got extra bubble wrap (or that strange bubble/brown paper wrapping stuff) from the shop to make sure they were well packed. You may have a spare shoe box lying around, I think I recall you bought a pair or 10 of shoes :rotfl:

I almost choked on my rice cracker with the toilet comments :rotfl2: I do totally agree! They do freak me out too, I just wish they would have deep, not too much water toilets like we do and as for that self flush.... :rotfl2: That can be terrifying!

Loved the updates.

Hi everyone, sorry my updates have been slow in coming, it's been a hectic few days. So much to tell you all. I can't wait to share everything. I will hopefully get something up tonight and will try to reply to all of your lovely comments and questions, you are all very sweet.

Well that's just not good enough! We insist you post and reply at the end of each day!!! ;) Just kidding :joker::stir:

love, love, love the report updates. you make me want to be there right now. i'm thinking carlo and i need to plan an xmas/early new year trip for 2015.

i too found the toilets very disconcerting, especially the splash zone situation and the auto flush situation. carlo also explained that the toilet situation is much less fun for men, especially when seated :(

as you know i am also a pooh sized gal, and when i was in orlando and dlr, i found quite a large number of people who were much, much larger than i was. all i could think was good on them for getting out and about, but man, the pain they must be in :(

hope the rest of your trip continues to be magical... sounds like you've had amazing pixie dust experiences so far :)

maybe consider shipping some of your purchases home to family/friends so that you're not lugging them around with you??

I second the shoebox plan for breakables-have done this and packed them surrounded by a mix of dregs of bubble wrap (no time to find more), tissues and (clean) socks and undies. Worked a treat. Still reeling at 10 pair of shoes bought already....(sorry!!! I am not a shopper either). You can just sightsee and not shop in NY then!! (Don't think that will convince the shoppers in your family! Even our family of non shoppers bought stuff there).

Another fabulous update Ms. Shuttergirl! Loved your description of the Fantasyland expansion. Can't wait to experience it.

Your family certainly seem to be enjoying more than just the parks. Cocktails, music, dancers, boat rides and resort hopping are all my favorite pastimes too.

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about safety (particularly at night). I doubt you would have enjoyed your serene boat ride if you had been at all concerned about your personal security.

Looking forward to another magical update!

Thanks for the awesome updates. Brings back fond memories of Epcot and Illuminations.

It sounds like you're having such a wonderful time! I love your tip about having a cocktail while doing the washing, that would definitely help make doing laundry more enjoyable :rotfl: I too wish to witness this body slamming of nuns, that would make my day :roftl:
The self flushing toilets sound scary!

Fantastic updates Ms Shuttergirl. It sounds like you are having an absolute ball ( it sounds like you even enjoyed the shopping just a little bit, always great when there is a bargain to be had :cool1: )
Well done on all the fabulous seating arrangements you have scored :thumbsup2

Great update Shuttergirl! and I know exactly what you mean about the toilets and the water level - it takes some adjusting to! :rotfl:

Thank you so much for taking the time to keep us up to date! Looking forward to the rest...

Andona

Oh Lisa, thanks so much for posting! Glad you like POFQ - POR also has the same peaceful, calm setting by the river which we loved. I am stunned that the weather has been warm enough to go on a wet water rides like Kali - I never dreamed temps like that were possible in winter!

POR is a lovely resort TravelMum. We got dropped there last night from a tour and walked back to POFQ. The buildings are beautiful. It seems like an enormous resort compared to POFQ though.

And yes the weather has been unexpectedly warm.

wow it sounds like you had the most amazing, fun filled first day. you're totally selling me on POFQ now :) so sorry you got dumped on while on KRR. when i was in universal doing the popeyes barges (similar ride) i made the same mistake. rode it 3 times and i think i was drier during the shower i took later that night than i was on that ride :( ugh. being drenched in public is never fun...

thank you for the live updates - makes us feel like we're there along with you.

hope you continue to enjoy yourselves :)

I will have to make sure I've got plenty of photos of POFQ to share with you Alicia.

That Popeye ride, my husband and children when on it in 2010 and I've never seen people so wet. It was ridiculous. I don't care how much fun it is, I'm skipping Popeye tomorrow.:rotfl:

Ms Shuttergirl what a blissful first day you had. Really glad you are enjoying POFQ it certainly holds a place in my heart.

Everyone says you should see Las Vegas at night for the lights but I'd trade them for another viewing of the Osborne lights in a heartbeat. They truly are beautiful.

Here's hoping the weather holds up for you.

POFQ is certainly a lovely resort Minniemum.

Oh yes, the Osborne lights are truly something to behold.

Sounds like a fantastic first couple of days, Shuttergirl. And yes, I was the drowned rat on Kali when we went on it. Fortunately, I came prepared.....I made sure that we all had a spare set of clothes....even underwear. So, I just headed into the ladies and changed. Next time, I will bring ponchos.

You are so super organised PIO. What a good idea to have spare clothes. I wish I had thought of that.

Ms Shuttergirl, über planner, didn't have a map??? I can't believe it! LOL

If you love music, and time permits, take a walk along the Sassagoula River to POR to see Ye Ha Bob. Lots of audience participation which is a sure way to embarrass your children.

I had the best intentions of checking out Ye Ha Bob but we just didn't get there. Perhaps another time.

Thanks for the awesome updates.

We too encountered that problem with finding Magical express at MCO - it was well after midnight when we were there and there was noone around to even ask, it had me in tears at the end of our 30 hour journey! They really should put more signage for that.

It sounds like you had a lovely lunch in the castle. Can't teenagers and husbands with their sarcastic wit be just adorable!! At least you got them there, mine flatly refused to do character meals ! :(

Have a great day!

Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one who found the airport thing confusing. I was horrified that I had made the same mistake twice.

I love character meals but I hear you on the kids not wanting to go when they are older.

I told you. I have gingerbread latte my way through the Us last winter and Europe this winter. Oh gingerbread latte. Back to the awesome trip report.

It truly is a beautiful thing, nom nom nom.

Great to hear you are having such a wonderful time :thumbsup2 I'm looking forward to the next update :)

Thanks Caroline

oh MS.Shuttergirl your not the only one who tears up watching those kids get surprised with trips to Disney ;)
Thanks for updating sounds like you are having a great time :)

Yay, another sentimental sooky. It was so cute watching the footage.

What a wonderful couple of days you have had.

I can't do Space Mountain. I can't even stand going through it on the people mover. That weird Alien Encounter ride in MK from back in the 90's has put me off dark rides forever.

Yes well she's only gotten me on it once, it's the best I can do :lmao:

Missed saying bon voyage-long trips-ugh-remind me why do we live in Australia? Sounds like you have had a magical christmassy first 2 days. You have sold me on POFQ too-I always figured I'd like it-this convinces me. Christmas in Disney-is there anything more magical? well, maybe shushh in Paris is getting close. I can just picture it all-the decorations and Xmas Trees, the Osborne lights, the singers. Enjoy it for all of us sitting at home and wishing we were there too and keep having a wonderful time.

Thanks Wendy. The feeling around the whole of WDW is definitely Christmasy. And I do believe you are right, Shushh is hitting Christmasy goodness very nicely indeed in Europe.

I'm loving reading about your first few days. Everything sounds so wonderful.
I particularly enjoyed the bit about the band playing Xmas carols. I love it when special memories are formed from the things you least expect. :-)

Yes, those little unplanned moments are magical.

Terminal B is for Bus

easy!

now go and buy yourself some ears, otherwise you'll get ear regret and thats not pretty...i bought 2 sets as i couldn't choose.......:rotfl:

Good tip, B is for Bus. Why didnt' I think of that.

I've decided against buying ears. I kept trying them on and thinking I looked awful. I have such a round face they just make me look funny.:sad2:
:sad2:
It all sounds wonderful. It's nice when the little moments just happen and are often what you remember most about a day.

Very true Marvel. Thank you.

thank you so much for this update - sounds like a very eventful day.

i also stress to the point of anxiety attacks sometimes when i have something like a photo shoot or important family gathering and do the whole 'lipo & surgery thing' too, so thank you for sharing that thought -- it certainly made your experience very relatable :) i think you are lovely though, and all of your candid shots are pretty so i am quite sure your family shots will be amazing!!

i cannot wait to experience photopass this time around, and get to ride some of the rides...

thanks for sharing day 4. can't wait to hear about day 3. i'm taking notes for my 2014 trip :)

Awww, Alicia, you are always so sweet to me. Thank you. Let's hope there are a few good images in there.

I purchased the Photopass Plus thing beforehand and it's been good. I feel like the photographers give you extra shots and attention. And I have used it more than ever before. Hopefully there are some great ones in there.

Ooooooooooooooh I am loving this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Franrose

Loving your TR! Thanks for doing while you are at Disney :thumbsup2 you made me laugh out loud about embarrassing your DD.....I love to do the same to mine;) it's a mothers right. Sorry to hear about the crowds when we went in November it wasn't too bad although we watched the second parade and rode rides while the first was on....can't say I liked the cookies though snickles I think they call them yuckie the choc chip were nice!

I think you are on to a good thing with watching the second parade etc. That was what I had read here on the Dis also but we were just too tired to even consider it. And when we left the place was still packed and I'm sure it was 11ish when we left.

Makes me feel good to know I'm not the only one who embarrasses the kids :rotfl2:

God bless America and their big TVs. Even in the restrooms????

Sounds like an awesome day!

It sure was.

I've got a half dozen free Westpac ponchos just for that ride :)

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

sounds like your having a blast...but how do you fit in so much stuff ????? I'm lucky to do...bfast, pool then 3 rides......:rotfl:

Does it sound like we are doing alot? Sometimes I feel like we are such underachievers :lmao:. We aren't much for lying by the pool although I do like to take a dip in there.

I am loving your TR just like I usually do Ms Shuttergirl! :cool1:

I'm so glad Travel Mum:)

Another great report Ms. Shuttergirl. Really like how you've done a summary of highs and lows.

I thought the highs and lows would be fun to include

I wonder if a video of you body slamming nuns is going to pop up. Would be the talk of the boards!!,

But it sounds like you a re having a fabulous time - I am thinking you are feeling the Christmas spirit, but I can see the eye rolling from here!!

Stay tuned for the video Battymum :rotfl2:. Not feeling the Christmas spirit too much yet. I think it will kick in once we hit NYC in a few days.

Great update. I so want to see the photo's from your photo shoot.

I promise to share only the best ones :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Glad you didn't freeze like we did in 2008! I couldn't get over the crowds then either-I think I would have had more fun if I had sent both DH and DD home (shh!) - they weren't psyched up for it being so cold and quite so crowded. Your role as a good mother is to embarrass your DD or DS as often as possible. Did you see the Pantomine-type show? Looking forward also to the pics on your return.

Hi Wendy, no I didn't see the pantomime show, what is it and where is it?

We were very lucky that it was warmish weather for sure.

Loving your TR and I can't wait to see your snaps.

Hope you're having the most amazing trip!

I wish I could share pictures right from the start but it's taking all I've got to write what's happening. Choosing photos and editing them would tip me over the edge at the moment. I will add them into the TR later.

Shuttergirl, sorry I haven't had time to post earlier. You sound like you're having the most fantabulous time. Pity about the crowds...

Please tell me more your kid pinching technique. It appears to be highly efficient. Might need it to keep my own child under control! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip and what you thought of the processional!

Oh and please do share the photos from the photoshoot if possible. Would LOVE to see them!!!

No, Shushh, I'm sorry I haven't posted on your TR yet. I am reading along when I can. I'm up to the last DLP day and have been loving it.

Candlelight Procession was excellent, will talk more about it in the next day or so.

Thanks again for a great TR. I'm loving the fact that you're eating at many of the restaurants I'm interested in (Biergarten, 50's diner, and Ohanas) as it's great to hear feedback about whether or not they're worth it.
I hope that rain clears up and you start getting some beautiful weather.

Wanderlust I will give more details on where we ate and what we ate and pictures when I get back but I think you might be gone by then???

Weather has been fabulous. Only a bit of rain early in the piece but all good now.

Thanks for the update. We love the Adidas and Nike stores, but got out best shoe bargains at JC Penney at Florida Mall.

Great updates!! Sounds like you are having a fab time, and doing so much!!
Have to agree re the loo situation - I also want to add - why are there such big gaps in the doors, too??? They never close with no gap!! :scared1: From the inside you can peer out and see all that is going on at the basins!! :worried: Vey strange. :confused3
Anyway - your shopping haul is impressive, too. Aren't the prices amazing!! I can also agree wiht Jade+3 re JC Penneys. Got some good deals there as well!
Will await more when you are able! :surfweb:

Have to agree re the loo situation - I also want to add - why are there such big gaps in the doors, too??? They never close with no gap!! :scared1: From the inside you can peer out and see all that is going on at the basins!! :worried: Vey strange. :confused3QUOTE]

Oh yes, I have noticed the gaps too, very offputting :confused3

Ms. Shuttergirl said:
Wanderlust I will give more details on where we ate and what we ate and pictures when I get back but I think you might be gone by then???

Weather has been fabulous. Only a bit of rain early in the piece but all good now.

No, alas, unfortunately I have ages to go before I leave. A whole 9 months in fact. Not that you'd think it based on how much in depth planning I'm doing at present. It's the one time of the year that I have a lot of free time on my hands and I'm going a bit planning crazy. :rotfl:

Can't wait to see the pics.

Day Seven or as I like to call it – The Longest Day in the World

Today was to be a massive day. We had a mini sleep in and then headed over to Epcot for the day and night. Because we arrived a bit later the lines for the few rides that are there were long so we fastpassed Soarin but Test Track was broken down, grrr, and by the time it was up and running and we got back there the line was long and the fastpasses were gone for the day. So we decided to ride Mission Space again. Mission Space has 2 versions. The less intense side which is what we have done before, and the more intense side which includes warnings of spinning, vomiting, loss of life, you get the picture. For some “unknown to anyone sane” reason, DH and DD decided to ride the more intense Orange side of the ride whilst the incredibly sensible and smart DS and mummy went with the less intense green side. I think they should call the more intense side the green side because that’s how DH’s face looked when he got off. Apparently the G-forces and the spinning were “not for him” hehehe. It’s hard to be sympathetic when you are rolling around on the ground laughing your head off at the man you love. Apparently your brain gets jiggled all around and you can be left feeling very "off".

Walking towards that fateful ride
IMG_1279.jpg

It was nearly time for our very early lunch reservation at San Angel Inn in the Mexico Pavillion so we wandered into the World Showcase and visited China while we were waiting. China has the most intricate detailing. I love Lost Warriors? Display. As with the real ones, each of their faces is individual crafted, so interesting and all of the artifacts from the 6th century and 7th century, wow they were such skilled craftsman.

Off to lunch we went. This is such a beautiful restaurant, set in cantina style setting, inside a pavilion but done to look like you are outside at night, with the river beside you, it is so peaceful. My only complaint was it was so dark in there, we couldn’t even read the menus haha. We ordered the usual, tacos and burritos and whilst they were nice, they weren’t astounding. But I’d eat there again for the atmosphere alone

After lunch DS wanted to do the Perry the Platypus spy mission with his dad and the girlies wanted to check out some of the Christmas storytellers in the different countries around the showcase. We saw China, Germany (my fave), Italy, Japan and Kwanzaa at the American Pavillion. So interesting to hear what other countries and cultures do to celebrate Christmas and how the kids get presents etc. Germany was definitely the most interesting, hearing that the Christmas tree, nutcracker and gingerbread house originated from there.

By now DH wasn’t feeling the best so he opted to go home for a long rest so the kids and I were flying daddy free for the remainder of the day. We went and watched the gospel choir called “Joyful”. This was seriously the most amazing thing ever. They were singing all different kinds of Christmas carols, gospel style. Such amazing voices and I felt completely moved by the whole thing. It was so wonderful and I did think that if church was like that every Sunday, I would be there in a heartbeat.

IMG_2356.jpg

After this we went and rode Soarin’, Even though I know it’s not real I hold on for dear life on that ride hahaha. I do very much enjoy it though.

After that we looked around some more and then went for an early dinner to Coral Reef, a very flash seafood restaurant and one whole wall of the dining room is all a massive fishtank with sharks and stingrays and a million other types of fish. Very impressive stuff. I was very proud of DD and DS for trying some different things at this restaurant. The food was absolutely delicious and I’m so glad we went there.

My holiday drink of choice - Pina Colada
IMG_2368.jpg

Then we headed to the Nemo and friends “Seas Pavillion” to look at all of the aquariums and the kids absolute favourite was the dolphins. They were so clever and cute, doing lots of tricks under water and since we had never been in this section before it was a great discovery.

Before too long it was finally time to go and see the Candlelight Processional. For those that don’t know it’s an amazing outdoor concert event featuring a 50 piece orchestra, a massive choir and a “famous person” narrating The Christmas Story with the orchestra and choir performing Christmas carols throughout the narration. It was a lovely event and I’m very excited we got to see it. The famous narrator we had ended up being different to what we originally booked for. We had booked tickets for Olivia Newton John who I adore but unfortunately a month or 2 out she cancelled her dates so we had a replacement of Lea Salonge who is the voice of Jasmine in Aladdin and Mulan, she also starred in Miss Saigon on Broadway. I was hoping to hear her sing as she has a stunning voice but alas it was a pure narration only, which she did very beautifully. The unbelievable choir however more than made up for it. It was wonderful.

IMG_2407.jpg

By the time this finished we had been at the parks for just under 12 hours and I was so proud of the kids for being able to last that long and with minimal whining. We were all exhausted so trudged to the bus stops and caught the bus back to the resort.

The kids waiting for the bus
IMG_2409.jpg

After having a big sleep this afternoon DH was feeling a little better and god bless him if he didn't tidy the room. Trying to keep the room tidy is an uphill battle and after a few hectic days it was getting feral so I was so grateful that he had done that.

The longest day in history but full of so many wonderful things...

Highs - Joyful the Gospel Choir, Candlelight Processional, Coral Reef food

Lows - DH being unwell, the long day

Weather - high of 26, low of 16

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter