Moving a placeholder past the 2 year mark

gismo1554

DIS Veteran
So I'm just curious about this. I know that after the two years you don't get the placeholder benefits but is it still possible to move the deposit to another cruise? I originally was planning on using the placeholder but then found a better price as a package with flight etc and Disney World (even taking into account the OBC as the package includes $200 gift card) so ended up booking this way. I was putting off cancelling my placeholder in case I managed to sneak in a further trip before next September but its looking less likely. When the next lot of 2020 cruises are released I am likely to want to book one and then look at reshopping onboard in September 2019 but wasn't sure about whether I should just cancel the placeholder or I can transfer it beyond the two years.

My understanding is that it will be refunded to you if you do not use it within two years; there is no transferring it to a cruise that finishes after 2 years from the purchase date.

My understanding is that it will be refunded to you if you do not use it within two years; there is no transferring it to a cruise that finishes after 2 years from the purchase date.

OK thanks. My hope was I could use the money on another deposit as otherwise it has to be converted back to £'s and then redone into $'s so seemed a simpler option if you know what I mean

So I'm just curious about this. I know that after the two years you don't get the placeholder benefits but is it still possible to move the deposit to another cruise? I originally was planning on using the placeholder but then found a better price as a package with flight etc and Disney World (even taking into account the OBC as the package includes $200 gift card) so ended up booking this way. I was putting off cancelling my placeholder in case I managed to sneak in a further trip before next September but its looking less likely. When the next lot of 2020 cruises are released I am likely to want to book one and then look at reshopping onboard in September 2019 but wasn't sure about whether I should just cancel the placeholder or I can transfer it beyond the two years.

You might try calling and asking if you can do this. No benefits would apply, but you might be able to use the funds for the deposit.

I agree about calling. Normally they do just refund the deposit on an unused placeholder. However, several years ago we had to cancel a cruise. This was an actual booking, not a placeholder. When I called to cancel, they asked me if I wanted to "park" the deposit. That was the term she used. Disney would hold the deposit and I would get credit for it when we booked a new cruise. While I understand why you might want to do that due to the currency issues, for us (strictly US $) it didn't make sense to let Disney keep the money, so I asked for a refund. But at that time it was definitely an option, at least on an actual booking. This was before the placeholders even existed.

This was probably 5 or 6 years ago and things might have changed, but it doesn't hurt to call and ask.

I moved my placeholder deposit to another cruise because I wasn't going to be able to sail within the 2 year date - missed by a day I think because of when Thanksgiving falls.

I was able to move a placeholder deposit without any problem. I booked the cruise before the 2 year period passed (i.e. before they had a chance to refund the deposit), on a cruise that sailed a few months after the 2 years ended.

OK thanks. My hope was I could use the money on another deposit as otherwise it has to be converted back to £'s and then redone into $'s so seemed a simpler option if you know what I mean
If you have another reservation, you should be able to move the money over to that reservation instead of getting a refund. When we took our first cruise, we had 2 connecting inside staterooms. We purchased a placeholder for each room. We ended up doing a Family Verandah for the 2nd cruise. At the time of our booking the cruise, I asked if they could just move the other placeholder deposit onto the new reservation since we were not going to use it for a separate cruise. The CM who I was talking to needed to get a supervisor to approve it, but they were able to just move the money straight over to the new reservation without refunding it. (Makes sense; why would they give you back money if you want them to keep it!)

You should be able to move the placeholder to a date beyond the 2-year period; the OBB perks will be dropped but the funds spent on the deposit will move to the new date. Just do so before the placeholder expiration date.

If you simply allow the expiration date to pass without using the placeholder, it will cancel and be refunded.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks all. Sounds like I can move the funds to a future cruise which is great.

If you have another reservation, you should be able to move the money over to that reservation instead of getting a refund.

As the reservation I have is part of a package its already paid for and I don't really need that much OBC for a 4 night cruise which is why I was hoping to move to a future cruise instead. Just need to wait for the 2020 WBTA to be released to move it.

Oh and debated ringing to ask but then remembered the original cruise is under a TA and so I assumed they would need to ring. Seemed like a hassle to get them to ring to see if its possible without having a cruise that I want to move it to available yet

I can’t see why they wouldn’t let you do that. I’ve transferred my deposit money from a place holder to a new booking. I’ve done it a few times because I normally cruise on GT rate.

This is almost exactly what we did. You can not do it online but easy to do on the phone. Took less than 5 min, lost the credits but kept the money on the new actual cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter