Move to Orlando for 1-3 months?

fisher12

Earning My Ears
I don't think I'm quite ready to fully move to Orlando yet but I'd like to experience Disney (and other highlights of Orlando) like a local for an extended period of time.
Are there any somewhat, cost-efficient ways to "move" to Orlando (or nearby) for a few months? Extended Airbnb or hotel? Time share? Etc.

I’ve been looking at long term rentals on Airbnb. They seem to have a lot of decently priced ones depending on what your needs are.

I don’t know if this has changed since we moved to Orlando and needed a rental while our home was built, but at that time, you had to pay the tourist tax on any rental booking six months or less. Seven or more was exempt from that tax. We booked for a year, and ended up extending due to some construction delays. I do not know if that applies to things like Airbnb or not.

If you really want the “local” experience, you will probably want a condo, townhouse, or home that is fully equipped with laundry facilities. I don’t know how it is elsewhere, but I have yet to see a laundromat (I am sure they are around, but I don’t know where.)

I don't think I'm quite ready to fully move to Orlando yet but I'd like to experience Disney (and other highlights of Orlando) like a local for an extended period of time.
Are there any somewhat, cost-efficient ways to "move" to Orlando (or nearby) for a few months? Extended Airbnb or hotel? Time share? Etc.

Guess it depends on your budget.

I would research SnowBird rentals in Orlando, often they offer monthly or three month pricing for the Nov-March timeframe.

I'd also look at Orlando Subleases / Sublets.

You might even find a CM looking to rent a bedroom short term to finish out a lease.

There are plenty of condos, townhouses, and houses available for short term rental in the Disney area, particularly in Polk County, southwest of Disney.

VRBO is another place to look for rentals. I second previous posters comment that discounts might be had for longer stays. It reduces the owner's costs for turnover cleaning.

You will definitely notice a different experience if you do an extended stay. More "living" and less vacation. Less time in the parks and more time spent doing normal household chores. Becoming more familiar with the surrounding area. You'll find a different Florida, more of the real Florida, if you drive a few miles away from the World, particularly going south and west. You don't have to go far before you find cattle farms and orange groves. Or head up into Orlando for more of the city life.

When we made the transition from vacationers to snowbirds we found a totally different way to enjoy Disney. As homeowners we got resident APs and would wander over to one of the parks for what we called our daily walk enhanced by Disney.

Good luck with your planning.

Maybe check out the area near UCF in east Orlando. Since there are so many students you might be able to find a sublease or a short term rental place. It's about 30-45 minutes away from Disney, depending on the time of day and traffic, and since it's pretty far removed from the "attractions" area (as the local news refers to the whole area between Disney and Universal) you'll get more of a "local" vibe. For what it's worth, there is a lot to do in Orlando besides the parks. There are already a few threads about it in here, but I think it's really worth checking out the local theaters/museums/concert venues/restaurants, etc.

Somewhat off topic for your question but if you're not familiar with the weather during summer-hurricane season just keep in mind it is brutal (and I don't mean the actual hurricanes) so that can really impact your daily living experience depending on what months you're looking at for a trial. I'm from the south anyway so I'm used to it but it is pretty extreme.

If you are seriously trying to experience the REAL Orlando (not the tourist parts) where locals actually live, work, and play.. Then you will need to find a short-term rental OUTSIDE of the tourist areas, AWAY from Disney/Universal/I-Drive/etc... I would recommend looking in areas closer to the city center such as Downtown Orlando, Winter Park/Park Avenue, Maitland, Altamonte Springs/Longwood, and UCF/East Orlando as mentioned by a pp.. These areas will give you more authentic local experience, I would also recommend spending your play time in these local areas and exploring all that Central Florida has to offer such as the springs, state parks, local museums, local festivals, etc.

Back in the early 2000’s my exhusband and I traveled for work in an RV. We spent close to a year in doing different projects in Florida and we ended up basing ourselves out of Apopka at an RV park. We could see some fireworks from where we were at. Sadly, we only went to Disney once during that period because we really were there for work and our daughter was an infant. That said, I still use some of the knowledge I gained stating in the area when I visit now. Favorite restaurants we go back to, fun non Disney activities ect.

We are sort of doing this right now...RVing for several weeks in Florida. You mentioned wanting to do Disney as a local, but unfortunately timeshares, AirBandB, etc., wouldn't qualify you for anything but the most expensive Disney AP. We feel like we are living in Florida right now, but we have out of state drivers licenses and use a mail service in the state we moved from. Perhaps as a PP mentioned, you could sublease. There may be college students who want to go home for the summer and want someone to take over their lease for a few months. I don't know about snowbird rentals, but snowbird RV sites book several months in advance. Looks like we will be heading up to Georgia or South Carolina at the end of January. Also, if you are under 55, note that some communities have age restrictions.

We have enjoyed exploring the springs, looking for new restaurants, finally made it to the outlet mall, visited the botanical gardens...all the things that a theme park-packed vacation didn't allow. I have a Seaworld AP and a Universal pass and we are enjoying the slower pace of not having to do everything in just a day or two at the parks.

I would encourage you to watch the Moving To Orlando podcast on YouTube. Pete who does the Dis Unplugged and runs these forums runs that as well. They also have Moving to Orlando facebook page, they provide great advice!!

This teacher was just fantasizing about moving to Orlando from about May28- July 25 with my younger 2 kids who still love Disney (the older, grumpy teenagers would have to stay home!) ....but then I remembered the dogs and husband (who doesn't get a summer break) would probably be a little mad!

Seriously though, if you can swing it I say go for it! I saw month long rentals of homes for 2500-3000 on VRBO. There might be cheaper alternatives....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter