Mousekeeping and Towel Animals

We just returned from our stay at BW. Worst mousekeeping we've ever had at WDW. The first 2 days we left $5 tips. On the 2nd day we returned to our room at 3:30 for a break and mousekeeping was in the middle of cleaning the room so we went down to the Boardwalk and had an ice cream. On the 3rd day we returned for our mid-afternoon break and the room had not been touched (around 3:00pm). I didn't leave a tip that day. I called the front desk and told them the room has been getting cleaned rather late. The next day mousekeeping knocked on our door at 8:00am to clean!

So besides the lateness each day, towels were not restocked. She took away 2 towels and never brought us new ones and didn't restock the coffee. We had to call 2 days in a row to get more sent up and I had to swipe a towel off of the cart one of the days so we'd have enough. On the 3rd day we wrote a note to please leave a few packets of coffee, which she did.

The sheets were supposed to be changed on the 4th day, but that night the sheets didn't look fresh to me. So I hid a small teddy graham deep in the sheets that morning and after the room was cleaned, the teddy graham was still there! That was day 5 with no sheets being changed at least on one of the beds. The sheets were still all tucked in so it was probably just easier for the housekeeper to just make the bed quickly and not pull it all apart!

And for the record, we were not messy. Before leaving each day, we picked things up and threw away empty containers and kept things in drawers. Oh, and we didn't get one towel animal, either :(

I'm sorry, that's a bummer to hear about Mousekeeping while you were there. I would be upset too.We experienced the same late in the day cleaning for the first few days we were there. We asked one of the housekeepers if they could come earlier (my dad can't walk too long so around 3:00pm he would come back to the room to chill out around that time). They actually asked us what time we'd prefer. We just said anytime after 10:00am but before 3:00pm and so they did for the remainder of the trip. I hope you're experience is better for your next trip:hug:

I forgot to mention in my original post. We had a hair tie laying in the dresser. When we got back from the park Mousekeeping even shaped the hair tie into a Mickey head!

we do not ever tip at a hotel, we have stayed at very nice hotels and dont leave tips there. We get towel animals and late check outs and never left a tip. This is why they get paid more than other jobs at disney or other hotels.I quess if you want to throw $15 down for a tip go ahead, but thats alot for 10 days. Each there own or money to burn.

we do not ever tip at a hotel, we have stayed at very nice hotels and dont leave tips there. We get towel animals and late check outs and never left a tip. This is why they get paid more than other jobs at disney or other hotels.I quess if you want to throw $15 down for a tip go ahead, but thats alot for 10 days. Each there own or money to burn.

Again, this is what we give. People can choose to give less than what we give or nothing at all. When I travel for work I do $5/day. Disney was more bc there were more of us in a room and like I said, we can be pretty messy at times though we try not to be. It's not that we have money to burn, when we plan for a trip, tipping is part of our budget that gets factored in when we save for the trip. I feel like people that don't tip housekeeping are getting a little defensive on here. No need to justify, each family is different. I don't judge you if you don't tip, so don't judge those that do :)

We have always tipped $15 per day and always will. Really mouse keeping doesn't have to do anything when they come to our room. I practically make the beds and wipe everything down. I guess old habits are hard to break even on vacation.:lmao: My DH and DS are like "what are you doing?" I smile and continue on my merry way.:rotfl: They role their eyes.:laughing: Oh and if we had 3 towels animals since 2001 that was a lot.

Tipping is a personal preference, if you do you do, if you don't you don't.:flower3:

We have always tipped $15 per day and always will. Really mouse keeping doesn't have to do anything when they come to our room. I practically make the beds and wipe everything down. I guess old habits are hard to break even on vacation.:lmao: My DH and DS are like "what are you doing?" I smile and continue on my merry way.:rotfl: They role their eyes.:laughing:

Tipping is a personal preference, if you do you do, if you don't you don't.:flower3:

Wow! How nice of you to do that! I'm sure housekeeping loves when your family comes! We don't intend on being messy, sometimes it just happens when you're coming in for a quick change to go to the pool or if you're in a rush! I usually try to "tidy" up since its not really their job to organize the room and put stuff away.

Happy anniversary and enjoy your split stay trip coming up!!:cool1:

The starting housekeeping salary at WDW is $ 8.35 / hr, so I don't think there are a lot of millionaire houskeepers working at Disney. Tipping is up to you, but I am sure that if you made $ 8.35 / hr you would appreciate any tips. As to your statement of "they get paid more than other jobs at disney" all I can say is - really?

RESORT TOWEL ANIMALS:

1) They are prepared by the room maid.
2) All maids have the option to be trained in basic animals.
3) Some have been trained to do advanced animals.
4) Tipping or not tipping does not influence maids making animals.
5) Animals cannot be assured by request or order.
6) Whether you get animals is based upon
. . . if the maid has time
. . . if the maid has the energy
. . . if the maid has the initiative
. . . if the maid likes the way you keep the room
. . . if the maid is an employee or temporary staffer
. . . if the maid is working during the correct phase of the moon
7) Expect nothing, and be pleased if they appear.

Wow! How nice of you to do that! I'm sure housekeeping loves when your family comes! We don't intend on being messy, sometimes it just happens when you're coming in for a quick change to go to the pool or if you're in a rush! I usually try to "tidy" up since its not really their job to organize the room and put stuff away.

Happy anniversary and enjoy your split stay trip coming up!!:cool1:

Oh Thanks so much. We are all very excited.

My DDad is a Marine so it has been embedded in my brain for 46 years now to be this way. I try to relax on vacation but it never works. I do this stuff while our DS16 is taking a shower. By the time he gets ready, another hour has passed.:scared1::laughing:

Oh Thanks so much. We are all very excited.

My DDad is a Marine so it has been embedded in my brain for 46 years now to be this way. I try to relax on vacation but it never works. I do this stuff while our DS16 is taking a shower. By the time he gets ready, another hour has passed.:scared1::laughing:

Many thanks to your Dad for his service!! :cheer2:

Hopefully you'll find some time to relax this time!!

Something we got better than towel animals was the housekeeper played with our boys' stuffed animals. Everyday we found them in different positions on the beds. Always very cute. Once the smaller animals were staging a protest or something against the larger ones :)

We are currently at AKL and we were at CSR 3 days ago.
Did not
Receive any towel animals all week this visit. It is very hit-or-miss with or without the tip I believe. Tips do not guarantee towel animals, so tip because you got excellent service rather than for towel animals :)

Last week at CBR we got one on check-in day - nothing after that.

Last trip couple years ago at CBR we got a few during the week plus mousekeeping would move my son's ghost mask around. One day we found it in the bath tub.

So it totally depends on the mousekeeper - best not to expect so you don't get let down.

We just got back from eleven nights at three different resorts. We tip $5 nightly and this trip never received a towel animal. It's a nice bonus when it happens, and it just didn't happen for us this trip. No big deal!

Well, I just honestly believed that it was polite and expected to tip the mousekeepers, but now that I think about it we did have a strange situation one time in the CBR. We generally try to keep our room nice anyway; I like to straighten out the bedspeads and tidy up a little, but there is always something for the mousekeepers to do. On this one trip we left our tips on the table in a prominent area where it would be obvious that it was a tip and not just money we had left lying around. The mousekeeper didn't touch it; we thought she may have not have been certain that this was designated for her. After this occurred twice, we wrote a very cheerful and colorful sign notifying mousekeeping that this tip was for them. They still didn't want to take it. I wonder now if they are told not to accept tips (or maybe she couldn't read English?)? :confused3 I'm glad that the OP brought this thread up. It's certainly nothing for any of us to get angry or snooty over, but a topic that is good to discuss as it affects all guests who travel to WDW. I'd love to know Disney's official word on it, although any of us can always be guided by our own personal consciences and decisions. :flower3:

Well, I just honestly believed that it was polite and expected to tip the mousekeepers, but now that I think about it we did have a strange situation one time in the CBR. We generally try to keep our room nice anyway; I like to straighten out the bedspeads and tidy up a little, but there is always something for the mousekeepers to do. On this one trip we left our tips on the table in a prominent area where it would be obvious that it was a tip and not just money we had left lying around. The mousekeeper didn't touch it; we thought she may have not have been certain that this was designated for her. After this occurred twice, we wrote a very cheerful and colorful sign notifying mousekeeping that this tip was for them. They still didn't want to take it. I wonder now if they are told not to accept tips (or maybe she couldn't read English?)? :confused3 I'm glad that the OP brought this thread up. It's certainly nothing for any of us to get angry or snooty over, but a topic that is good to discuss as it affects all guests who travel to WDW. I'd love to know Disney's official word on it, although any of us can always be guided by our own personal consciences and decisions. :flower3:

We were at the CBR last week for one week. In the middle of the week, we left money with a note for Mousekeeping and it was taken while we were out. So not sure what's up with them not taking it after leaving a note.

Well that was nice of you to try to tip them for their hard work even though they didn't take it! Maybe they are told not to take them, I just never had a housekeeper not accept a tip there. :)

We usually leave the tips on the bathroom sink area and a glass on top of the money. I think you're right, sometimes they may see money in the room and think its just laying around. Good thinking on leaving the note :)

We just got back from eleven nights at three different resorts. We tip $5 nightly and this trip never received a towel animal. It's a nice bonus when it happens, and it just didn't happen for us this trip. No big deal!

I agree! We never really look at it as a big deal either. My daughter was just extra excited this trip to get one everyday. It was almost like "let's see what she will think of next!" The monkey towel hanging from the pant hanger by its arms was the most creative I've seen!! So cute :)

Last week at CBR we got one on check-in day - nothing after that.

Last trip couple years ago at CBR we got a few during the week plus mousekeeping would move my son's ghost mask around. One day we found it in the bath tub.

So it totally depends on the mousekeeper - best not to expect so you don't get let down.

I agree as well. I think it must depend on who you get and how much time they have. That's so cute about your son's ghost mask being moved around :)

We are currently at AKL and we were at CSR 3 days ago.
Did not
Receive any towel animals all week this visit. It is very hit-or-miss with or without the tip I believe. Tips do not guarantee towel animals, so tip because you got excellent service rather than for towel animals :)

Well said :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter