Most interesting DCL question I've seen in awhile...

We always are hoping to spend that 595.00 or so on the family beach cabana. Other than a few souvenirs and tips, we don't spend much else.

I was just working on our budget for our upcoming cruise. I am figuring to spend about $1100 for the week (1 adult and 1 child). This includes:

Tips
2 pictures
2 mixology classes
specialty coffees for the week
alcohol for the week
souvenirs (love shopping on Castaway)
money for my 11 year old (mostly smoothies)
Spa (budgeting 200)
Tube rental on Castaway
Palo (planning on treating my other family sailing with us so about $250 total)

We are doing outside excursions (not through Disney) of a chartered sailboat in Tortola and ziplining in St Thomas. If we had to add those to our on board account it would be about $600 more. I don't want to go overboard but pretty much spend what I want to. Luckily I have a $200 OBC to spend. I also use my Disney Visa to pre pay some OBC so it isn't quite a painful at the end. This will be our 6th cruise and this is pretty close to what we spent on past cruises. The only exception being the cruise to Alaska. The on board charges were about the same but we did private excursions that added about $2000 to the total. I figured we were only going once so we did whale watching, ziplining, dog sledding and a helicopter tour!

Off topic, sorry.....What is a Shutters black and white photo album? $1,800 seems like a lot of money to me. Thanks for answering.

So- we booked a private family photo session in the Shutters studio on one of our at sea days, since we have never had professional family portraits done and our girls are 6 and almost 2. The photo session is "free" and since I am a DCL newbie, assumed that those photos would be an option in the "photo package" one can pre-buy before the cruise (10 photos, 20 photos etc.)

Well, they're not.

DH and I were having a huge fight because I took ODD on *just one more* Aquaduck ride that cut it too close to get back to our room and shower and change. Ultimately we showed up to our rescheduled appointment and were still fighting. Once we were at the photo shoot, we learned that any pics from the photo session would be extra, and the lowest priced package was $550. DH wanted to just cancel. I told DH that we'd never had family photos done, and we should at least try it out and see what we got. The photographer took a bunch of pictures. We kept blowing off our session to view the pics until 9pm the night before we had to leave the cruise.

We were blown away by the photos. She came up with about 40-45 black and white photos that really captured the essence of our family, despite the fight. So the $1800 is a 12"x 12" archival quality photo album that holds up to 40 pictures, plus a USB of some of the best pictures of the bunch. We are working with the photographer post-cruise to put together the photo album - it has to be printed elsewhere and then shipped to us. We figured that it would be close to that amount and a lot more time to book someone professionally at home and then get the photos anyway.

We recently returned from a Western on the Fantasy. We had 6 people (3 adults and 3 kids ages 9. 13. and 16) in 2 staterooms. We spent about $1,000 for the week on our onboard account:

tips (plus approximately $150 in cash covering both room service and extra in cash for the other tipped folks who took such good care of us)
2 non-alcoholic fruity drinks at dinner
blinky light-up Pirate cup at dinner (assistant server told us it cost around $4. It actually cost around $9.)
bike rental on Castaway for 4 people
brunch at Palo for 2
refillable popcorn bucket and refills
Gift shops (approximately $200)
$130 for 2 rounds of BINGO - we are big losers.

Additionally (not included on the onboard account), we used $500 in gift cards for our 2 stateroom placeholder OBB. We pre-purchased the all digital photo package at $400 and 4 rainforest passes at $18 each. We just shopped in the Port in Jamaica, took a taxi to 7 mile beach and paid admission ($2 each) to a beach resort in Grand Cayman, and took a cab to Uva Beach (booked through Costco for a total of $120 + $40 for digital underwater photos of my kids snorkeling and checking out fish, lobsters, eels, seahorses ...) in Cozumel.

My first cruise it was photo package (that I paid for in advance), tips, pirate drink/mug for 4, one excursion $150, and one alcoholic drink. This upcoming it will be more because I'm doing the tea with my daughter and that is nearly $300. I also plan to have a few more drinks.

We just got off the Wonder to Alaska on Monday, our bill was $2600 incl tips, excursions, alcohol, cove cafe, one day of bingo, shopping, Palo brunch and dinner, usb from Shutters, no spa. I had $200OBC so otherwise the bill would've been $200 more. I budgeted for $2500 so I was pretty close ;-) 2 adults, 2 kids under 10.

So- we booked a private family photo session in the Shutters studio on one of our at sea days, since we have never had professional family portraits done and our girls are 6 and almost 2. The photo session is "free" and since I am a DCL newbie, assumed that those photos would be an option in the "photo package" one can pre-buy before the cruise (10 photos, 20 photos etc.)

Well, they're not.

DH and I were having a huge fight because I took ODD on *just one more* Aquaduck ride that cut it too close to get back to our room and shower and change. Ultimately we showed up to our rescheduled appointment and were still fighting. Once we were at the photo shoot, we learned that any pics from the photo session would be extra, and the lowest priced package was $550. DH wanted to just cancel. I told DH that we'd never had family photos done, and we should at least try it out and see what we got. The photographer took a bunch of pictures. We kept blowing off our session to view the pics until 9pm the night before we had to leave the cruise.

We were blown away by the photos. She came up with about 40-45 black and white photos that really captured the essence of our family, despite the fight. So the $1800 is a 12"x 12" archival quality photo album that holds up to 40 pictures, plus a USB of some of the best pictures of the bunch. We are working with the photographer post-cruise to put together the photo album - it has to be printed elsewhere and then shipped to us. We figured that it would be close to that amount and a lot more time to book someone professionally at home and then get the photos anyway.

Thanks for letting me know! I was so curious, so thank you for sharing! I am happy to know you captured such great family photos. You can never get this time back with your children!

We spent 2000 (included gratuities) for 5 people, 2A,3K for our 15 night EBTA.

We prepaid Shutters package beforehand, it was 300 something?

I was amazed at the amount of people at customer services who were complaining about their bill. I heard one lady saying her son had paid it off via a Hong Kong credit card but when asked to call her son from the room to provide proof she wouldn't. Another had a bill of $3000 and when broken down it was all drinks apart from the 1GB internet package, he was shell shocked. Plus I saw two families turned back when leaving the ship as they hadn't paid the bill.

Our bill came to about $600 which included drinks and cigarettes which I thought were very cheap for Disney.

Our family of 4 spent $2,600 on a 7 night cruise last summer. That included excursions, one night at Palo, lots of souvenirs from our first cruise, and of course a deposit for an onboard booking for our next cruise!

after asking my accountant aka lovely bride, she informed me we dropped about $500 on drinks last year on a 3 night on the Dream. We did also do an excursion to Atlantis, no idea what that cost was. I asked how much the cost of our trip to Pink was (Champange Bar), and the accountant declined to break down the cost other than saying it was worth it.

Usually pretty close to nothing other than gratuities which I prepay. We find cruising luxurious already so don't opt in for extras. Our last cruise was a 3 night Dream. We didn't get off in Nassau and everything was included in Castaway Cay so we didn't pay a penny extra other than gratuities (our on board credit helped with this).

I can tell you our budget is $500, NOT including gratuity that's a separate line item. (it does include any extra tips like room service though). We're only going on a 3 day and don't intend to get off the ship in Nassau so no excursions for us. We're also not big Disney shoppers, well 3 of us aren't one of us shall be reined in :cool2:. Hey can I help it if I'm a sucker for a cute tervis?

Honestly, it's not going to go much over that as we're on a VERY tight budget and this is one component of a much larger vacation for us. We're putting a gift card on the account and telling each member of the family they have x $ to spend and that's it.

These are always fascinating to read, so thank you for posting.

My family and I are cheapskates on cruises. We may have set the record back in 2013 Panama Canal cruise. We couldn't port in our first two stops because of hurricanes so we only got off the boat twice in Cartegna and Cozumel. No excursions there that interested us. We don't drink, we live in Vegas so Bingo has no interest for us, we don't like fancy dress ups so Palo was out and tips were prepaid. 14 days cruise, $180 bill at the end. One massage for the wife and a couple of shirts in the gift shop. That's the list.

Evidently, we are cheapskates too. :-)

We have done 2 5-night Bahamian Cruises on the Magic. I don't remember the exact amount but the first was less than $200. The second, which was a Christmas cruise, we spent a little more because we bought each kid a small gift on the ship. The kids usually do the CC kids club adventure. My dd ran the 5K. Dh and I had a few drinks and a few coffees. (We prepay our gratuities)

We don't want to dress up, so no Palo. We may do massages on our upcoming cruise in January.

Well, they're not.

Thanks for your post. I'm happy for you that you got beautiful pictures and your honest, candid response brought tears to my eyes. As much as we all envision a 'perfect' vacation, real life happens and kids cry (or when they get older they fight) or there are tense moments with our spouse. Photos are precious and what a wonderful gift and reminder for rest of us to keep it real. Thank you again!! :thanks::love:

Not big spenders here. $200-$300. Try to keep it to onboard credit. That doesn't include gratuities which we prepay. We have tried palo and remy but have skiped them for years now. Don't do excursions on dcl but we do on other lines.

This really is an interesting thread- we've been budgeting for our 2018 cruises only recently, and decided to budget about $75 USD (which is about $100 AUD), each day.

We are a family of 4 (our kids will be 2 and 4), and our expenses will be mostly child care and Bingo. I don't know what it is- every time we get on a ship, we turn into the biggest Bingo fanatics :rotfl2:.

We don't drink alcohol or coffee and my husband isn't interested in Palo or Remy. We've arranged to prepay the gratuities and we aren't too big on souvenirs- I usually grab an ornament on each trip, but we dont have that much extra room for other items. We are still undecided on shore excursions, so of course, this might jump up a little.

Last time we cruised (Dream 3 night for our20th Anniversary without the kids) dh gave our on board charges a name since it was as much as having another person in the room! Don't regret a thing though!

I though hilarious until thinking of what we spend equated to having invited another family along.

Truly the only bill I always dread more than my on-board account is my tax bill. Knowing it will be big regardless of the enjoyment building up brings, it always seems to stress me out. Last time we used gift cards and the OBC's from DCL and our travel agent which helped psychologically in having a big credit to start. I never saw the logic of prepaying gratuities hearing of those that did, but this falls into the same bucket in an expense paid (or a credit on your account) so the amount due at the end is less.

Seven night cruise 5 people doing excursions. $2000+

DH and I will be on a 4 night to Canada at the end of the month. We are going Palo, Pedicure for me and probably some cocktails. No excursions plan for St. John. So, it will not be a lot.

I think what you spend depends of course on the length of cruise, how many ports and how many people.

Prayers for everyone affected by these crazy Hurricaines. And I hope everyone up coming cruises are safe and fun!

So on our first DCL cruise in 2014 (7 night, 3 adults, 1 child) our total bill was ~$1000. It included Remy for the three of us, our gratuities, a mixology class for 2 of us, daily coffee at the cove for DH and the stingray excursion for 2 at CC. Back then, you could still bring spirits on board so our nightcap was enjoyed on our verandah and we didn't incur alcohol charges (We're really not big drinkers.) We aren't really shoppers by nature so we browsed the shops but didn't buy.

Our second DCL cruise, EBPC with just DH and me, is coming up. Now, I have already pre-paid the gratuities and the photo package (that I am reconsidering because I'm not a fan of the borders on every shot) so that isn't included in the mix. But, I have been budgeting for:
  • $150 for various tastings classes (I'm part of a very active and social FB group and this is going to be quite fun)
  • $175 for daily morning coffee at the Cove Cafe for DH and me
  • $75 for Palo Brunch and gratuity
  • $425 for excursions
Total: $825 Not too shabby for 15 days on DCL.

With that said, I expect to have to purchase a few souvenirs while we are in port. My DS has given me his list of demands requested items and I have a few folks who have asked me to look for a few things but I don't expect that to be a whole heckuva lot of cash money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter