More women on the Dis Unplugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only comment on this is that Charles and Steve are on pretty much everything that you guys do -- the Daily Fix, the Best and Worst, the Disney Dining Show, etc. They are good, but we see them all the time. Folks like Kathy, Teresa, and Julie only ever appear on the main show. For that reason, I would personally prefer them being given preference in the rotation over those who appear in the other shows. That's just my opinion, of course, and I'm sure others disagree.

I get that - but my understanding is Steve and Charles' jobs are to write for the site and appear on video segments whereas Teresa works at the welcome center and Kathy is a Dreams Agent - they are just on the show as an "extra" thing so it is hard to compare the two (I am not sure if Julie has any formal affiliation other than through Corey)

I hesitate a little to post this thread, as I love the Dis Unplugged and don't want to be flamed, but I'm sharing publicly, in case anyone else feels this way.

As I said, I love the show - I think the team is great and I never miss an episode of the flagship show. That said, I've been a little disappointed over the last couple years that none of the new regulars on the show have been women. I would love to see the cast add another woman in her 20s/30s whose voice I can relate to (or a woman of any age for that matter). For example, I think Kylie is fantastic when she does vlogs with Ryno and Craig! Could she be a regular contributor on the main Dis Unplugged? I feel like ever since JL left, the new folks (both guests and regulars) have been men nine times out of ten. And it seems like Teresa and Kathy have been on the show less recently, so while the show is still enjoyable, it feels like it's missing something it once had. And while we once had The Trip, the entire Dis YouTube line just seems to be completely male dominated these days.

Watching the show today, my heart just sank a little as we got through all the introductions and there was not a female voice to be heard. Anyway, just one woman's opinion, but thought I'd speak up, in case anyone feels as I do.

All the best.

Would love to see an additional female at the table! Kylie is great and I actually think Katrina (Tyler's girlfriend) is quite good, too. They bring a cool, fresh perspective - the kind that I get from a lot of female (and male!) Disney CMs, vloggers and small shop owners I follow on IG and YouTube.

Love all the guys, but definitely would be exciting to see another gal up there.

No one is arguing there should be only women. But to have diversity means having many different voices. Where are the coloured people? where are the young men? where are people from Asia? etc. Also this would allow them to better talk about growing Disney markets in Asia. As a white man I am alienated by this only white old man panel. None of them really relate to me.

No one is arguing there should be only women. But to have diversity means having many different voices. Where are the coloured people? where are the young men? where are people from Asia? etc. Also this would allow them to better talk about growing Disney markets in Asia. As a white man I am alienated by this only white old man panel. None of them really relate to me.
I think Craig, Ryno, Steve, Sean, and Charles are all pretty young. This is a WDW show so not really focused on the Asian Disney parks.

I agree with PP that there are several young men on the panel, so I'm not sure what you mean by "only white old man" panel. There's a variety of ages on the panel... 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s....

Perhaps there's just a lack of diverse qualified people for this gig. As a woman, I'd say the A/V world is more male dominated. Many of the full timers on the show (Craig, Ryno, etc.) have A/V experience. I would imagine women with this level of experience, in the Orlando area specifically, are hard to come by. Plus, not everyone is cut out to be on camera. I can't imagine there's a huge pool of qualified, diverse candidates for this job. Even if you look at the other blogs and podcasts out there for WDW... same general demographic of hosts and contributors.

It's hard to cover every basis though - you just listed off a handful but there is obviously a ton more ... no way any group could have everything covered.

And they do have quite a few areas covered:
- male and female (skewed male, but do have some female)
- Gay and straight
- Single and married
- Different age groups (from mid 20's up to, well, not sure how old but at least 50s right?)
- Kids and no kids (though skewed no kids)
- Locals and transplants (though skewed transplants, many have been in the area for quite a few years now)

So there are lots of areas they don't have covered (and would be hard for them to have everything covered) but they do have a number of areas covered, more than many other podcasts I would say

Coloured people? Are those people from the country of Colour? Might be kind of hard to find one of those. Are they to lower standards here in the name of diversity. It appears to be what you're advocating. Who cares what color, sex, nationality, sexual orientation, what ever. The show's entertaining as it is, either you like it, or you don't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter