More than stated # allowed per room?

megnsamsgracie

DIS Veteran
My neighbor found out we are taking the kids to Disney (saw the DVD in my mailbox she said... our mailbox isnt the normal type and this could have been true) and said she is taking her kids when she gets her "settlement check" because she and her DH just divorced and she wants to do something special for the kids. She said she is doing 1 standard room at AKL. That fits 4. She has her, DS 18, DS 16, DD 10 and DD 6. I said I thought the hotel gives bands or makes you show keys etc to ride the busses etc? Or use the pool? I told her she might want to check because otherwise she gets down there and is stuck getting a 2nd room (if available) or a suite of some sort. Any words of wisdom to give her before she gets herself in a jam. Money is very tight thats probably why she is trying to do one room.

Oh, jeepers. This is one of those questions that brings a fight on. :)

No, you aren't supposed to go over the # allowed. Yes, each person has to show a room key to get in for the Extra Magic Hours or get a wristband. And everyone has to have their own.

No, you don't need a room key for the pool. I've heard they check at the Beach Club sometimes, but I swim in the Quiet Pools there and have never been asked.

No, you don't need a room key for the busses.

9 times out of 10, two rooms in the values are cheaper than one room in a Deluxe.

Plenty of folks will be along shortly to say how much better they are than your friend, how she's a cheater, etc., etc. Don't take it to heart. :)

I could care less.. I just want her to know what she is in for if she tries to pull it off because I know she doesnt have the $ for 2 rooms at AKL (I suggested she try POP and use an AAA discount). I knew they would check SOMETHING somewhere where she would get stuck. I will see her at the bus stop tomorrow and let her know its not such a wise idea.

All Star Music has the Family Suites that sleep up 6 and costs less than a standard room at AKL.

Perhaps she does not know about that option.

The family Suites would her more room . She could have her own seperate bedroom area with a Queen bed and there is room in the living area for 4 to sleep.
Also everone would listed on the ressies and each person will have a key.

They can not use ME(without all the names listed on the ressie) & the cannot use the DDP, or EMH without their own rooms keys.

Here is the layout:

ASMusic_FamSuite_layout.jpg

Here is some more info about the Family Suites:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1392879

I think it really nice you want to help your neighbor.

I hope it all works out for them and that they have a wounderful time at Disney!:wizard:

I've stayed in standard room at AKL with only one other person, and trust me, it would be extremely crowded with 5 people in one room. I second Minnie on getting an ASMu suite. Two tvs, two bathrooms and a mini kitchenette = space and sanity. Also the key situation will be a sticky one if they want to do extra magic hours.

i couldn't even imagine 4 people in one room to be honest.

what could happen? disney can find out and forcibly remove them from property at a minimum. this is something hotels routinely find out about and take very seriously and act upon. i've even heard of cases where disney got involved because they suspected something when in reality a guest had 2 rooms next to each other.

she might be able to get away with it, she might not. but good luck if she doesn't.

If they were booking tickets with the room the overoccupance would be picked up on surely

First let me state before throwing my hat into this topic, that our group sticks to the number per room set by Disney. We are now a family of 6 and we now stay in 2 bedroom villas at the BW or BC or 2 rooms at most other deluxes. With that said I have been going to Disney and staying on property for since the 70's and not once have I ever been asked for my room key card for early entry or magic hours. Not once. We have been vacationing on property with our kids since 1993, not once. As far as getting carded at pools, yes that happens, especially at the BC, AKL, and once in a blue moon at the Poly.

Everyone has their own Disney pet peeve, I have an issue with pool hoppers.

Do they not have deluxe rooms that fit 5 at the AKL? Maybe she put everyone on the ressie. We all know Disney CM's don't always do things by the book.

I'm happy she will be taking her kids on this trip and I would be SHOCKED if she were dragged out by the Disney police for having 5 in a room meant for 4. I would be SHOCKED if they are asked for a room key for each member of their party for EE and then denied access if each person can't produce a room key.

Occupation limits are not just to justify selling more rooms but are also a Health and Safety matter.

With that said I have been going to Disney and staying on property for since the 70's and not once have I ever been asked for my room key card for early entry or magic hours.

I would be SHOCKED if they are asked for a room key for each member of their party for EE and then denied access if each person can't produce a room key.

that's okay, i would have been SHOCKED if they asked for a resort ID to access EMH in the 70s too.

Seems like if they are on a tight budget, there are other options rather than sneaking an extra person into AKL. Some rooms at AKL hold 5, and they may have to upgrade, but that's more cash.

not once have I ever been asked for my room key card for early entry or magic hours. Not once.

Just wanted to say that DH and I were at WDW a couple of weeks ago and took part in Extra Magic Hours 3 times, all 3 times we were asked to show our room cards, and they used a scanner on them. Maybe this is something they are checking more now.

I agree with SnowWitch! We are yearly visitors of Disney and have a large group-- we do have 2 rooms... with 10 people... we stay in rooms that hold 5 per room, but sometimes 6 are in 1 and 4 int he other-- just how it works. I would be surprised if she got "caught" and as I have been told (by CM's etc)-- Disney will never cause a "scene"- they always go with the customer's benefit-- not saying they will allow it and give her a pat on the back, but they may offer to change resorts or rooms and will work with her-- IF she is caught. Do I think it is the right thing? :confused3 Nope-- if she wants deluxe why not stay at one that can hold 5 in a room:teacher: -- many can, just not the standard room at AKL. I would suggest that first. Where she will have a problem is if she does the DDP (all people in the room must have same tickets, etc), uses the ME (all the people on the reservation will have a ticket), etc... it will get tricky to not have the 5th person on the reservation and just buy a ticket at the gate for:confused: ! Of course if she is driving down or renting a car it will not be as difficult-- in fact I would guess she wouldn't get caught.

Just my two cents... no it is not right, there is a reason for the room cap guidelines, but people do it and she might be one of them...:laundy:

i would strongly suggest that your friend try a room at POR that holds five (request the trundle bed) or go w/two value rooms or the family suite (which costs more than two value rooms, fwiw)...

although, she may have been honest and they may say it's okay... we were at CBR for 10 days a few years ago and my college-aged niece who went to school in Florida wanted to join us for a long weekend (thurs night thru sunday) and we were honest w/the cms and they brought us a rollaway bed... that put five of us in a CBR room... w/out a problem... so exceptions can be made...

I am one who does not care either way if she breaks the rules. My only thought is that in order to make sure and use all the benefits of Disney she would be better getting a reservation with everyone on it. We are a family of 6 and usually rent DVC points for our trips to get more space for our money. But other times we get two rooms at a value or moderate. We were able to stay a POR last summer, but 5 plus 1infant was a lot in that space.
We would love to stay deluxe,but at this point can only do what our budget allows.
I understand that your friend wants to give her kids a great trip. I am sure that they deserve it after the divorce stuff, but I think they would be happy just to stay at Disney. Let her know that they can visit AKL and enjoy the view and the food. It wont be the same as staying there, but my kids enjoy for now. I think you are a good friend for trying to help her.

Over spring break this year my friend did the same thing. When she told me that she was staying at the All Stars I asked her if they had 2 rooms or a family suite. It was her and hubby and 4 kids. She said she would call and make sure what they had when I explained that all 6 would not be allowed in one regular room. Well of course she did not call. But when they went to check in and Disney saw it was 6 for a room they did make them buy an additional room, but they were offered a discount when my friend explained that she had told them the ages of all children when making the reservation.

Also our room keys were checked each time we did a evening magic hours on our trip last October.

I understand and sympathize with the situation, she's probably looking at the AKL as an extra-special treat for the kids after the stress of the divorce.

That said, I think she's adding stress (and complications) to the trip by sneaking in an extra guest.

To summarize what others have said:

1) They can't use DME.

2) Don't know if she wants to use the DDP, but....the extra kid won't be able to use it.

3) No EMH.

4) And most importantly, there's only sleeping space for 4. One of the kids is going to be on the floor. Is she going to bring an air bed with her?

I think a family suite at ASM is a better idea. It'd probably be cheaper, everyone gets a bed, and no worries about EMH, etc.

I don't know what the price difference is but she AKL had deluxe rooms that could accommodate 5. It may be worthwhile to call and get a quote.

i would strongly suggest that your friend try a room at POR that holds five (request the trundle bed) or go w/two value rooms or the family suite (which costs more than two value rooms, fwiw)...

Just an FYI

For comparison, the price of a Family Suite is $9-11 more then 2 Standard Rooms, or $13-15 less the 2 Preferred Rooms, depending on season.

The Family Suites come with a fridge, microwave and coffeepot.
If you rent a fridge at a value it costs $10 a night.

I don't know what the price difference is but she AKL had deluxe rooms that could accommodate 5. It may be worthwhile to call and get a quote.

During Value season the price for a standard view AKL room (least expensive that will sleep 4 is $215 a night.
(A family Suite is $179 during the same time period)

A deluxe Savanna room with bunks (least expensive room that sleeps 5 )duing value season is $375.

Here is link that tells room types, number of persons allowed in a room, seasons and the rates for 2007.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disney-rates-2007.htm#VALUE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter