More Minimum Height Information

All Aboard

Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas
Just back and yes, I brought my trusty tape measure with me again!

First, the reduction to 38 inches at Kali is great. Here is how it works: if the child is taller than 38 but not 42 inches yet he/she will get a wristband and a handstamp. At the loading area, you will wait until a raft with the new restraint system becomes available. The restraint is an overhead padded bar that comes down near the lap that the child can hold onto, seems to work great.

Now, the good news. The stick at Splash Mountain is shorter, that's right shorter. The nice CM let me measure it and guess what, it's just a hair over 40 inches. Not sure if it is the full-time replacement or not, but it is made of grey solid molded plastic instead of the wood one that used to be there. You may recall the wood one was about 41 and a half inches tall. I wonder if I had an impact.

Measured the sign at Big Thunder, almost exactly 40 inches. The sign seems to screw into the support, so I guess its height is dependent upon how many times it's turned. Not sure, though. Last time I measured it, it was about 40 and a half inches tall.

Sign at Star Tours, Body Wars and the little kid cutout at Test Track are all of course the same, right at exactly 40 inches. The sign at Tower is like that at Big Thunder, just a hair over.

For those tracking Natalie's growth, she is at 39.75 inches in her regular heeled tennis shoes. But guess what, they allowed her into Star Tours even though she missed it by a hair. She had been through a "flight check" (for those that don't know what that is - you can request a ride on Star Tours where the theater remains still and the movie and sound effects operate. Great idea for little ones who are about ready to start experiencing the thrill rides.) So, she was accustomed to the attraction, but I explained that this time it was going to shake and move. She flat out loved it.

Next trip, May 24-29. Who knows, she may skim the signs this time. I'll have my trusty tape measure.

Here's to hoping that WDW takes all the guesswork out and starts issuing coded wristbands for the different height levels. Works great at Kali, would like to see it everywhere. There would only need to be three armband colors: 1 that limits the child to 40" attractions, another that cuts out rock n roller and a third that is all access.

I hope you had a great trip. Sounds like you were busy taking a lot of measurements. LOL

Thanks for the info,

I'll have to get DD's on spinach or buy some big "Spice Girl" type shoes.

:crazy:

Thanks gcurling. Our DD is exactly 40 inches with shoes. I was worried that we were going to have to buy taller shoes for splash mtn. Also told her she couldn't ride Kali rapids. She will be so excited.:bounce: :p

who is willing to measure the height requirements. Thanks, Natalie's dad, for taking the time to measure each ride's height requirements. Our younger DS is eating all his veggies to try to grow to 40". I am glad to know about the varying degrees of "40 inches" so that I can prepare DS for possible disappointment if he still can't ride the rides that his big brother can ride. I hope Splash Mtn keeps the new stick, that is the ride that little DS is most interested in. Thanks again. Pamela

Thanks so much for the info. My DS is the same height 39.75. With one month to go and he really wants to go on some of these rides! Keeping our fingers crossed.

Thank you so much for this info. We have a thrill ride loving 4 year old that is exactly 40 inches tall. She is counting on SM, ToT, and Kali! This is great news. I too was planning on brining a tape measure, glad to know I'm not the only one.

Lisa

DS is right at 38 inches Kali river here we come!I am so excited I know he will love this ride.My only concern is my DH got drenched and I do mean drenched when we rode this last time.Am only worried that this might scare DS if the bulk of the water were to come down on him like it did my DH.

Mal

Every time I read a really good post, it seams to come back to you. Thanks so much for the effort.

Belu

HI,

Back again after my birthday weekend!

Anyway, DD's are still tucking away fruit and Veg but I've relented and bought them some big "Stacked" shoes. I wont let them wear them all the time in case they break thier necks, so I'll just have to carry them with me.

Gee,

The things we do for the kids -

:crazy:

Hi, we are leaving May 19. I have a 5'5 12 year old and a 41' 4 year old who wants to ride what big brother rides......;) Will I need one to prove his height?

I think that would be great for DD, and me too since I cannot do motion simulator rides w/o getting sick. How do you request a flight check, Do you get to see the movie part of the ride?

My daughter will be 3 in June and she is 38.5 inches tall according to our Pooh growth chart - no shoes. We are planning a trip in early December and she is dying to ride all the big rides. I would love to take her on Splash Mountain since I can still hold onto her - Big Thunder, too. But she is so little - I can't imagine her being tall enough to ride those rides!!!! What are the odds she is 40 inches in 6.5 months?
:cool:

It is so funny that this post was right at the top. When I signed onto the computer this morning I was planning on doing a search on this very subject first thing!!! Creepy.;)

OK, answers to a few responses:

1) First, thanks for the kind words.

2) No need for you to take a tape measure. The only reason I do it is to keep myself updated on EXACTLY how high the sticks are. I want to know for sure when Natalie is tall enough for each attraction. We travel to WDW at least once a month.

Believe it or not, they do periodically change a little bit. Earlier this year, Splash mountain had a wooden stick. The bottom of it became worn down, so they attached a metal clamp to it to prevent further wear. Well, the metal piece aparently raised the bar. Now, they bar is made of solid molded plastic.

3) Flight Check - For those who are not familiar with Star Tours, it is a motion simulator very similar to Body Wars. The ride vehicle is attached to hydraulics and can move up, down, forward, back, left, right and tilt virtually any direction. You are fully enclosed and seated in one of about 30 seats. The screen at the front runs a film to which the vehicle's movements are synchronized, thus giving you the feeling of moving along with the film.

During a flight check, the motion of the vehicle is turned off. Therefore it doesn't move at all. The movie plays, the animatronic droid moves and talks and the interior special effects (lights, etc.) still function. You have to ask the CM posted outside if you can do a flight check. He/She will direct you up the handicapped entrance where you will tell the interior CM that you are there for a flight check. Most likely, your party will be the only ones in the vehicle. So, it seems louder with fewer bodies to absorb the sound.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!