More Mexican Drug Cartel Murders in the News... Anyone Worried?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by ChicosWife, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MUN

MUN Registered

Hopefully you don't get murdered in St. Thomas either!

http://viconsortium.com/featured/man-gunned-down-in-st-thomas-as-violence-escalates-in-usvi/

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.c...cle_01bbba21-855e-5669-9ba7-cd84dc0ee9ce.html

NettieNolan likes this.
  2. MUN

MUN Registered

Where is it you plan on vacationing, so I can do a quick google search? :)

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

4. AquaDame

AquaDame Disney Cruise Line Moderator

I think in a way they all are given they are hosted by Disney who has fully vetted them. We did a dolphin excursion in Los Cabos (they just walk you to the center that is very close - we wandered further than that before and after on our own and it was fine thought there are pushy vendors along the way), took the trolley tour in Mazatlan and did the Hideaway on Puerto Vallarta. All were great and I felt safe, though as I mentioned earlier it was a little nerve wracking seeing all the cops with big guns at the gas stations. Apparently they had many robberies so they stationed jeeps there with big machine guns to deter them and 'make the tourists feel safe'. They smiled and waved to us - it was a little surreal. Before this fully freaks anyone out MANY countries arm their police more like military. Huge guns in the stations in Europe when we have gone also - most recently this last June. I just regret not telling the tour guides that seeing heavy presence does NOT always make us feel safer... as an FYI. ;)

That seems fair and I think this is what it boils down to. Some people can't relax in the face of different things, and some can. If you can't, its really no fun.

Lets not go tit for tat on each other... stick to OP & Mexico please.

ChicosWife, hanscarlet and Summer2018 like this.
  5. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

I don't think anybody is saying the Mexican people aren't warm and friendly. There are people that will take advantage of tourists and their law enforcement system is nothing like ours. Generally being at a corporations facility or a nice resort you are going to be fine.

Summer2018 likes this.
  6. MUN

MUN Registered

Good advice, but my point is (I guess) that bad things happen to good people all across the globe.

7. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

That doesn't make people's concerns any less valid. Most of us do things everyday to make things safer for ourselves and our families. We don't just leave every thing up to chance.

8. MUN

MUN Registered

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I hardly think taking a vacation to Mexico is leaving "every thing up to chance". Mexico gets millions of tourists each year and the vast majority of them have wonderful experiences. Someone earlier commented about police in Mexico. Well, there are plenty of innocent people in the United States that have been shot and killed by trigger-happy American police officers. So, I guess we're not perfect either.

MUN

9. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

Comparing police in the US to police in Mexico is really a slap in the face to our officers who put themselves on the line for our safety. I never said a Mexican vacation is leaving everything up to chance. Im pretty sure you knew what my point was. If you feel comfortable vacationing in Mexico then by all means do it. You don't need to belittle other people for having concerns sbout it.

10. Summer2018

Summer2018 Mouseketeer

Thank you.

11. quickcat

quickcat DIS Veteran

Wow

hanscarlet likes this.
  12. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

My thought exactly. When you consider the number of police officers killed in the line of duty every year. That was more then a little disrespectful.

13. MUN

MUN Registered

I believe you did.

14. MUN

MUN Registered

So it's ok to disrespect Mexican police officers, but how dare someone point out that there are plenty of bad cops in America as well.

15. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

Wow. Unbelievable.
    I've only brought up Mexican police operate Differently then we're used to so be prepared for anything. Such as threatening to send a 75 year old women to jail for not wearing a seat belt if she doesn't pay up.
    Your hate for American police officers seems to be coming from somewhere else that's not remotely related to Mexico. I'll just leave is at that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    hanscarlet and Summer2018 like this.
  16. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

17. ChicosWife

ChicosWife DIS Veteran

- I would rather the cops have guns than the bad guys, I guess. :confused3

:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2

:thanks:

:sad1::sad2::earseek:

Thread Status: