More Marvel at Disney

True but in the end it is as you mentioned just another dark ride shooter.. I was gonna say they need a Soarin style ride where you are are a superhero but they just built that style at AK

It's got to be frustrating for Disney not to be able to utilize Marvel in WDW. It's their most popular IP by far. Star Wars used to be comparable but somewhere along the way it has taken a dire wrong turn in popularity.

I must be the only person who doesn't like Marvel. I am not into the movies at all and can care less about any of the attractions. I'm so bummed they demolished Bugs Land in DCA because it was such a fun place for little kids, and the rides were awesome for families (Chew Chew Train and flicks Fliers in particular)
So I'm so glad Universal has them, they can keep them!

Just so you know, the Inside-Out Emotional Whirlwind opening at DCA is a re-themed Flik's Flyers, so you'll have that one back soon. I do like Marvel and am looking forward to the land, but I do think DCA needed those rides for younger kids and is less appealing to that set without them. People here always complain about spinners and other less thrilling rides, but there is an audience that needs them. Hopefully they can squeeze in a few more all-ages rides at DCA.

It's got to be frustrating for Disney not to be able to utilize Marvel in WDW. It's their most popular IP by far. Star Wars used to be comparable but somewhere along the way it has taken a dire wrong turn in popularity.

I disagree with your second sentence. Star Wars popularity hasn't waned. There are just many fans who are unhappy with the direction the franchise has taken in new movies. They didn't stop liking SW over what they consider two or three bad films.

I disagree with your second sentence. Star Wars popularity hasn't waned. There are just many fans who are unhappy with the direction the franchise has taken in new movies. They didn't stop liking SW over what they consider two or three bad films.

I agree. I don't really think the popularity of Star Wars has significantly waned, though I do think that currently Marvel's popularity has surpassed it. The buzz and fervor for Star Wars Land is pretty huge. There are some vocal complainers that don't like the current SW films, but really they are just a loud (on the Internet) minority. It's the same with those who disliked the Prequels, or any other new offering that doesn't match exactly they way they envisioned it. It's just typical fandom.

But isn't the new land focused primarily on the new films?

I agree. I don't really think the popularity of Star Wars has significantly waned, though I do think that currently Marvel's popularity has surpassed it. The buzz and fervor for Star Wars Land is pretty huge. There are some vocal complainers that don't like the current SW films, but really they are just a loud (on the Internet) minority. It's the same with those who disliked the Prequels, or any other new offering that doesn't match exactly they way they envisioned it. It's just typical fandom.

I have to disagree about a small "vocal minority". The box office trajectory has been downright horrible. The Last Jedi made 700 million less than The Force Awakens and Solo lost over 100 million dollars. A Star Wars film LOSING money?

When you consider that Disney has yet to recoup their acquisition cost of Lucasfilm...that's a crisis.

I must be the only person who doesn't like Marvel. I am not into the movies at all and can care less about any of the attractions. I'm so bummed they demolished Bugs Land in DCA because it was such a fun place for little kids, and the rides were awesome for families (Chew Chew Train and flicks Fliers in particular)
So I'm so glad Universal has them, they can keep them!

It's not that I dislike Marvel...actually, the new movies are kind of cool. But, I agree that they don't really have a place in WDW. I'm not really thrilled about SWGE either, but it is at least based on a classic movie and fits into the HS atmosphere. I guess I'm just worried that the IP with start spilling more into MK.

It's not that I dislike Marvel...actually, the new movies are kind of cool. But, I agree that they don't really have a place in WDW. I'm not really thrilled about SWGE either, but it is at least based on a classic movie and fits into the HS atmosphere. I guess I'm just worried that the IP with start spilling more into MK.

It is odd that the IP "spilling into the MK" is TRON. A franchise that is, essentially, dead.

Yes...I've read that article...and it's the only one I know of that's out there. Obviously, only Disney knows how close they are to recouping their investment. When you strip away the production, distribution and marketing costs from their films it's not even close to equaling over 4 billion. Remember, that they only get half of the actual gross as exhibitors get the other half. It's only about 40% internationally and 25% in China.

Merchandise sales? They've been reported to be in the toilet for the last three years and Disney has alluded to their disappointing performance.

The real corker is losing a hundred million dollars on the last Star Wars film which is a backtrack to the progress it was making to recoup the costs.

I have to disagree about a small "vocal minority". The box office trajectory has been downright horrible. The Last Jedi made 700 million less than The Force Awakens and Solo lost over 100 million dollars. A Star Wars film LOSING money?

When you consider that Disney has yet to recoup their acquisition cost of Lucasfilm...that's a crisis.

It stands to reason that TLJ made less than TFA - it was the second in the series and there is always a drop off. TFA was reasonably well-received so TLJ wouldn't have suffered from the backlash that TLJ started with a certain segment of the fandom. Solo is merely a victim of bad timing and low-key marketing. It would have done much better in December, away from Avengers and Deadpool and further from TLJ. Episode IX is likely to perform more like TLJ did and not like Solo, and TLJ is still considered a big success.

Yes...I've read that article...and it's the only one I know of that's out there. Obviously, only Disney knows how close they are to recouping their investment. When you strip away the production, distribution and marketing costs from their films it's not even close to equaling over 4 billion. Remember, that they only get half of the actual gross as exhibitors get the other half. It's only about 40% internationally and 25% in China.

Merchandise sales? They've been reported to be in the toilet for the last three years and Disney has alluded to their disappointing performance.

The real corker is losing a hundred million dollars on the last Star Wars film which is a backtrack to the progress it was making to recoup the costs.

Solo is way more the exception than the rule, though, and basically all of that "loss" can be connected to the production over-runs that came from switching directors mid-cycle, which almost certainly also contributed to its disappointing box office performance. With a smoother production, Solo likely turns a little profit and provides a template for mid-level SW movies going forward.

Solo is way more the exception than the rule, though, and basically all of that "loss" can be connected to the production over-runs that came from switching directors mid-cycle, which almost certainly also contributed to its disappointing box office performance. With a smoother production, Solo likely turns a little profit and provides a template for mid-level SW movies going forward.

Solo also suffered from TLJ backlash and the fact that the release date was only 5 months after. Solo was a fun and entertaining movie and had it been released in December or 12+ months out from TLJ, it could have fared far better. There's definitely SW fatigue at the box office.

It's difficult to compare Marvel to Star Wars for a few reasons. Star Wars, in film, has spanned 3 generations of fans. The MCU only has one.

The storylines of Star Wars are all pretty similar and don't go too far away from the fight vs. the Empire/First Order. The MCU films, while having a connected story in the background that eventually comes to the forefront, the individual movies have massively different settings, characters, styles and their own story arcs, many unrelated to the infinity saga.

I don’t think there is IP fatigue, just bad storytelling fatigue.

TFA was compelling enough for TLJ interest, but I kinda left TLJ with a “now what?” Since they killed off so many characters.

Endgame was such a great conclusion to a major story, that I also think “now what” even though it was a compelling story. I really think future MCU movies may struggle in comparison. Avengers 1 was 4 years into phase I so there’s still time.

I don’t think there is IP fatigue, just bad storytelling fatigue.

TFA was compelling enough for TLJ interest, but I kinda left TLJ with a “now what?” Since they killed off so many characters.

Endgame was such a great conclusion to a major story, that I also think “now what” even though it was a compelling story. I really think future MCU movies may struggle in comparison. Avengers 1 was 4 years into phase I so there’s still time.

The problem is they are really just rehashing the same story with new characters we dont really "love". They made a mistake BIGTIME by not letting Kylo keep the mask on. He was such a bad-a with the voice and stopping the blaster shot in midair in the first one and then they turn him into a whiny kid. I know that is part of the story but they need a scare you to death villain like Vader was. Vader was scary and mysterious and cold... Kylo freaked me out more until they had him take his mask off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!