• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Monorail resorts & renting points

samacita

Mouseketeer
Have been to WDW several times, but currently planning first onsite stay and it's also the 1st Disney trip for our kids (DD6, DS3, D?4mos at time of trip). We're considering monorail resorts mostly since we want to head back for midday naps and rest. (We are not commando-paced people anyway. 10+ continuous hours in a park was not our style even before kids.) We know they are pricier and have been saving money with that in mind; we think of it as paying for convenience, which we are willing to do when the kids are little.

I LOVE the theming of Poly, the option to watch Wishes from the beach, and its amazing location. Have been leaning mostly to Poly and my heart is probably there, to be honest. I'm second guessing having us all in one room though. Especially since the baby will likely awaken during the night and disturb the other two kids.

Looked into renting points at BLT for a 1BR. We would put the older two in the bedroom, so that DH and baby and I could have access to the kitchen, balcony, etc without waking the other two. Would also be really nice to have the kitchen for prepping some of our own meals. There's nothing exciting to me about the decor, but I can get over that. We would need to do standard view, too, so no castle views for us.

And...I feel nervous about renting DVC. Should I? Does it go smoothly? As I understand, there's no ME or dining plan when you rent - is that accurate?

I know WL is another option. I don't dig the theming... That's just me. I would love it for a different type of vacation, but it doesn't have the right feel to me for a warm weather location.

Sorry such a long post!! Would love any advice you have to offer.

Well, renting is certainly a good option for a family your size ...especially given the cost of a room at say the Poly where you won't get the kitchen as a plus. I'm a DVC owner and have rented several times -my advise would be to check the rent/trade boards and look for people who have a significant # of posts -you'll also find some detailed info that helps. Other than that, ask for references. ME is included by the way.

I'm not sure when you want to go, but the standard rooms seem to book up a lot faster than the lake view rooms.

There are lots of owners who do rent out their points. ( we have done this in the past.) Just ask for references etc. like the pp said check out the forum for rent/ trade. or there are companies that do rent out points.

You can get the dining plan with renting points. The member just needs to add it for you so you pay the member. You can also do magical express, no issues there.

If possible, a 1 bedroom unit would be lovely at BLT. The only issue is I am unsure as to when you are planning for. BLT books quickly among members and ideally, you need to book as close to the 11 month window if possible. If you are unable to obtain points for BLT would you consider the CR? Large rooms like the poly and only it and BLT have the walkway to the MK. I cannot say enough how wonderful the walkway is. So quick and easy, never breaks down and no waits. Takes maybe 7-10 minutes to walk.

Happy planning!

The dates are in November but according to David's DVC rental site, still appear to have availability for a standard 1BR at BLT.

Any opinions on making the room at Poly work? Has anyone done it with an infant and other kids and want to reassure me it will work out ok??? ;)

you don't get a good view of the castle - but if you get a north side even number villa - you may see the MK off to the side - more tomorrowland than main street.

The dates are in November but according to David's DVC rental site, still appear to have availability for a standard 1BR at BLT.

Any opinions on making the room at Poly work? Has anyone done it with an infant and other kids and want to reassure me it will work out ok??? ;)

I doubt the standard view would still be available. They usually sell out right away at 11 months out. Lake view would probably be available now if you aren't going early November or the end of November. But once seven months hits, you might not get them.

My first family trip to WDW my oldest was 4 1/2, my DS turned 3 on the trip and my youngest was 11 months. We did fine in one room at Poly. My youngest did tend to nap a lot in the stroller in the parks-something she didn't do at home. As a result she didn't sleep well but she NEVER woke up my other two. They were exhausted from all the fun they were having in the parks.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but since I own at BLT, I just looked at availability and except for 1 night here and there, all of the standard views are sold out. I'm not sure what you were looking at on David's site but whatever it was, its wrong. Some lake view 1 bedrooms are available but not for all dates. Also as others stated, you can use ME and add the dining plan. I can't look at WL for availability because I don't own there but I'm sure if you ask someone on the DVC pages to look for you they will. Also, I didn't think the decor at WL was my thing, either.... I'm not much of a nature girl nor do I like to camp but I LOVE WL. So I would give it a chance, it's really beautiful. The boat to MK is great as well or you can take a boat to CR and hop on the monorail.

We were able to get two adjoining standard rooms at the CR for our trip last November. The littlest kiddo stayed in one room with DH and I, while the 4 year olds each had their own bed in the adjoining room.

We are going back in May and "sucking it up" all sharing one room to cut down on cost a little bit. We are staying at the GF this time.

[QUOTE="samacita"
Any opinions on making the room at Poly work? Has anyone done it with an infant and other kids and want to reassure me it will work out ok??? ;)[/QUOTE]

It will definitely work. We've stayed with 2 children older than yours - adding the infant makes it a little tighter, but it can be done. The room size is nice.

We have stayed at the Poly for years, since my 3 boys were very little, and have never had a problem. As PP said, they were so exhausted, not much could wake them.
We love this resort...we truly feel like we're on a tropical vacation even when we're not in the parks. I highly recommend it!

Have been to WDW several times, but currently planning first onsite stay and it's also the 1st Disney trip for our kids (DD6, DS3, D?4mos at time of trip). We're considering monorail resorts mostly since we want to head back for midday naps and rest. (We are not commando-paced people anyway. 10+ continuous hours in a park was not our style even before kids.) We know they are pricier and have been saving money with that in mind; we think of it as paying for convenience, which we are willing to do when the kids are little.

I LOVE the theming of Poly, the option to watch Wishes from the beach, and its amazing location. Have been leaning mostly to Poly and my heart is probably there, to be honest. I'm second guessing having us all in one room though. Especially since the baby will likely awaken during the night and disturb the other two kids.

Looked into renting points at BLT for a 1BR. We would put the older two in the bedroom, so that DH and baby and I could have access to the kitchen, balcony, etc without waking the other two. Would also be really nice to have the kitchen for prepping some of our own meals. There's nothing exciting to me about the decor, but I can get over that. We would need to do standard view, too, so no castle views for us.

And...I feel nervous about renting DVC. Should I? Does it go smoothly? As I understand, there's no ME or dining plan when you rent - is that accurate?

I know WL is another option. I don't dig the theming... That's just me. I would love it for a different type of vacation, but it doesn't have the right feel to me for a warm weather location.

You can get the dining plan when renting points. You just need to request that when renting the points. And the same thing with DME..the owner needs to make the reservation.
I have handed over points to David's when I couldn't use them. He, and his company, was incredibly easy to work with. He gave me all the info I needed to make the reservation for the people renting the points. The only issue is that you have to be absolutely sure you will be going. There isn't a lot of leeway if you change your mind. I own at BLT and love it there. I would assume that the standard villa may be very hard to get, but if you move up to a lake view, you will have better luck.

As for the Polynesian...you should all be able to fit. Adults could each take a bed, with one child in with them. Then, use the play and go thingie for the little one. You will have two queen beds and a day bed that is basically the size of a twin bed. It's not as convenient as a one bedroom unit, but it will work.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but since I own at BLT, I just looked at availability and except for 1 night here and there, all of the standard views are sold out. I'm not sure what you were looking at on David's site but whatever it was, its wrong. Some lake view 1 bedrooms are available but not for all dates. Also as others stated, you can use ME and add the dining plan. I can't look at WL for availability because I don't own there but I'm sure if you ask someone on the DVC pages to look for you they will. Also, I didn't think the decor at WL was my thing, either.... I'm not much of a nature girl nor do I like to camp but I LOVE WL. So I would give it a chance, it's really beautiful. The boat to MK is great as well or you can take a boat to CR and hop on the monorail.

There really isn't any point in asking someone on the DVC Boards to check availability for the OP. Two reason, one the DIS has asked us not to do that. Two, unless the OP is a member wanting to book immediately, there isn't any point because availability changes all the time. A villa might be available this morning and gone by noon.

With a 3month old? I would actually pick WL. The infant still gets a crib. Surely you can take a bus or boat, but need to take into account the walking distance at Poly, GF or CR, unless you splurge to stay on the main building...

I think WL is the most kid friendly of the deluxe. At least until your young one becomes 3, which at the time you'll have to go to one of the other ones... (BC is my favorite of them).

With a 3month old? I would actually pick WL. The infant still gets a crib. Surely you can take a bus or boat, but need to take into account the walking distance at Poly, GF or CR, unless you splurge to stay on the main building...

I think WL is the most kid friendly of the deluxe. At least until your young one becomes 3, which at the time you'll have to go to one of the other ones... (BC is my favorite of them).

You can't book WL on points, just Villas at WL. There are pack and plays in each villa for the little ones. Cribs might need to be requested, but you might not get one. If you really want a crib, you'll want to rent one from an offsite company.

The extra space is great. You would have to upgrade to lake view for this year. I just wanted to comment that you also have access to the balcony from the bedroom. I would set myself up in the bedroom to sleep in the king size bed and have the kids on the pull-out in the living room. Also, the bedroom door is on the other side of the kitchen from the sleeper, so you may be able to sneek out to get a drink or something if the kids are sleeping.

There really isn't any point in asking someone on the DVC Boards to check availability for the OP. Two reason, one the DIS has asked us not to do that. Two, unless the OP is a member wanting to book immediately, there isn't any point because availability changes all the time. A villa might be available this morning and gone by noon.

1) I wasn't aware that this DIS didn't want us to do that.
2) my point was this.....I was simply letting the OP know that a SV wasn't even an option so she should look at other rooms. I was just telling her to ask someone about WL to see if that was even a feasible option. I just didn't feel there was reason on her debating something if it wasn't even an option to begin with. Just trying to make her decision a bit easier....that's all.

Over on the DVC Rent/Trade board people like the OP ask members all the time. As far a villa being available at one point then gone another -couldn't that be said all the time? So why not check? As they say, I'm not quite picking up what the other poster was laying down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter