MONORAIL AT SSR and/or DD in FUTURE?

If Disney were to expand the monorail, why on earth would they even consider SSR/DTD area ? If anything, they would expand it for the non-linked parks such as AK/AKL..

I can see how putting a monorail at DTD/SSR would be a problem for parking. I would be highly irritated if I went to go park by my room and couldn't hardly find a spot because people parked there.

I think they would have to allow only those staying at SSR to be able to enter the gates at that point. Or at least those staying on property. Or do like the Contemporary does, limit it to 3 hours or less if you aren't staying there. Probably have to do that because of the spa.

IMHO if Disney decided to extend the monorail to DTD they would also handle the parking problem. Handling it would be pretty easy to do once you've decided to go to the huge expense of the monorail. All you would need is a gated parking garage. In order to get to the monorail entrance you would either need to enter directly from the garage or by way of the pedestrian entrance/exit. The pedestrian entrance would have an automated entry that accepted hotel keys, annual & season passes and park tickets that had been used at least once that day in one of the four big parks. For people who paid to park but don't have tickets yet the lot attendant/guest services could give them temporary gate passes upon request if they wanted to go into DTD before entering a park.

However the ONLY reason I can see Disney doing this is if they wanted to use the Trans and Ticket center for a new revenue stream. Which isn't a bad idea...its already on a major road and has plenty of acreage with built in monorail access.

PS. I love the idea of the parking garage. This is one of the things I think Universal did better than Disney. The garage gives you and your car shelter from the sun and rain.

I heard from a pretty reliable souce that if Disney wanted to connect Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios to the monorail system (just the parks) it would cost about 1.5 Billion dollars.

If they decided to connect SSR to Downtown Disney with a monorail you can bet our annual dues will go through the roof. Disney is surely not going to eat the costs.

Just another rumor put out to help sales .I think these things are told to CM's to get things started.I know they bugeted big money for transportation and the monorail is not only an efficent way to move people but also some of the Magic ay Disney.

On the History channel special the other night they said it's UPTIME was 99.98% during reg time and 99.8% during peak hours .They have their act together with it and it's not like a City that has to pay an outside source for upkeep and so forth.When things are done in house the expense is not nearly as great.

G8RFAN said:
In any event, DL has a very similar arrangement with parking and no rebates for the hourly parking for DTD guests.

Here's the DL DTD parking info, direct from the DL website:
Your first three hours of parking are FREE. An additional two hours can be validated at AMC® Theatres and at table-service dining restaurants. After that, the cost is $6 for each additional hour, charged in 20-minute increments.

The entrance is gated where you have to pick up a ticket. It reminds me of airport parking, if that helps. That said, one night when I was visiting DL's DTD at park closing time they were just waving people out, trying to get traffic flow going. Of course that was the night I had rushed back to my car after eating and shopping to meet the time limit. . . :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter