Mom, You Know We're in Hell, Right? A Feb Disneyland/LA TR. Updated 8/7 x 4 The End!

Yay, an update!!

We usually do one or two rides in Bugs Land just for laughs :)

I've never taken one of the animation classes. I'm not much of an artist. Your Donald Duck turned out great!

Monsters Inc is one of my favorites.

Bugs Land looks nice and something fun for kids to do. That type of land is something I think DHS needs. Toy Story Land looks like it might not be enough.

I miss the animation class at DHS. Nice job on Donald!

The Monsters Inc. ride looks like fun.

Your post just reminded me how much we all loved California Adventure!

We didn't do the Bug's Life rides either, but we'd planned to do Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, but never went back to do it. I can't remember why!
The theming there was so fun. They had a cute photopass op for the 60th when we were there that made it look like the kids were catching us with bug nets and trying to fry us with a magnifying glass.

I loved the Animation Building so much!! We did two of the Animation Academy classes and to be honest, I could have just stayed there all day to do them all. We did Oswald and Pluto. I like all of your family Donalds!! He seems like he'd be a tough one to draw!

Everything looks so sweet and charming there, I love your pics along the streets, etc. It definitely reminds me of DHS in some shots!

I never did the Animator's Academy so I guess Disneyland is my only hope :) Your Donalds all look great!!

Monsters, Inc. holds a special place in my heart. Rob and I went on our first date to see that movie and when Jimmy was big enough to go to the theater, Monsters University was his first movie. That looks like such a cute ride, and how cool that Roz is interactive!!

When we went last summer, my 12 year old daughter and I did every ride in Bug's Land. The Chew Chew train is more geared for toddlers. The ladybug ride, we rode 3 or 4 times in a row. We were the only ones on, so the CM let us ride over and over. It spins, but you can't really control it like the teacups. Chelsea felt really awkward on the dumbo type ride. My older 2 kids were riding ToT at rope drop, so we had lots of time. I think the ladybug ride was one of her favorite rides.

In the summer time, we spent hours (it seemed like hours) in the animation building. Chelsea did 2 or 3 classes at the animation studio. The older 2 waited in the giant line for Anna and Elsa. We did Turtle Talk with Crush and went down to the Sorcerer's Mickey shop thing. That was interesting. We loved the air conditioning.

Chelsea's dance team competition piece is Newsies this year. She plans to wear her dance costume to MNSSHP this year. We saw it in the theater when it was making the rounds. We have never really stopped to watch it in CA, but I am sure next time, we will.

awww you didn't do any of the kiddie rides! sad face!!

wonderful wieners i would have laughed right along with you.

I didn't do any of the Bugs Land rides either, but it's so nice just walking through that area!

Glad you got to do the animation class, your drawing came out great!

Loved the Monsters Inc ride; you got some nice pics on it!

It was a very cute area, I'm glad we visited.

Thanks, I was pretty happy with my Donald.

I really liked the Monsters Inc ride too.

Yay, an update!!

We usually do one or two rides in Bugs Land just for laughs :)

I've never taken one of the animation classes. I'm not much of an artist. Your Donald Duck turned out great!

Monsters Inc is one of my favorites.

If we were doing more than one day at DCA I'm sure we would have gotten one a few of the Bug's Land rides.

I'm really not a good artist either, I could never do that on my own. What I am good at is copying what someone else is doing.

Bugs Land looks nice and something fun for kids to do. That type of land is something I think DHS needs. Toy Story Land looks like it might not be enough.

I miss the animation class at DHS. Nice job on Donald!

The Monsters Inc. ride looks like fun.

Yes! Toy Story Land could do with a few kid's rides like that.

I really miss that class too and was glad we had a chance to do it in DL.

Your post just reminded me how much we all loved California Adventure!

We didn't do the Bug's Life rides either, but we'd planned to do Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, but never went back to do it. I can't remember why!
The theming there was so fun. They had a cute photopass op for the 60th when we were there that made it look like the kids were catching us with bug nets and trying to fry us with a magnifying glass.

I loved the Animation Building so much!! We did two of the Animation Academy classes and to be honest, I could have just stayed there all day to do them all. We did Oswald and Pluto. I like all of your family Donalds!! He seems like he'd be a tough one to draw!

We really loved DCA too. We had such a perfect day that it really stands out in my memory.

DL was really lacking in Photopass opportunities this time. Or maybe we were just so busy we didn't see them.

I would have done more than one class if we would have had time. I love doing them! I desperately want to do Pluto someday but we had already missed him on the day we were there.

Everything looks so sweet and charming there, I love your pics along the streets, etc. It definitely reminds me of DHS in some shots!

I never did the Animator's Academy so I guess Disneyland is my only hope :) Your Donalds all look great!!

Monsters, Inc. holds a special place in my heart. Rob and I went on our first date to see that movie and when Jimmy was big enough to go to the theater, Monsters University was his first movie. That looks like such a cute ride, and how cool that Roz is interactive!!

Yes, definitely a lot like HS!

Just another reason to go to DL I guess. I was pretty happy with my Donald.

You will love the Monster's Inc ride!

When we went last summer, my 12 year old daughter and I did every ride in Bug's Land. The Chew Chew train is more geared for toddlers. The ladybug ride, we rode 3 or 4 times in a row. We were the only ones on, so the CM let us ride over and over. It spins, but you can't really control it like the teacups. Chelsea felt really awkward on the dumbo type ride. My older 2 kids were riding ToT at rope drop, so we had lots of time. I think the ladybug ride was one of her favorite rides.

In the summer time, we spent hours (it seemed like hours) in the animation building. Chelsea did 2 or 3 classes at the animation studio. The older 2 waited in the giant line for Anna and Elsa. We did Turtle Talk with Crush and went down to the Sorcerer's Mickey shop thing. That was interesting. We loved the air conditioning.

Chelsea's dance team competition piece is Newsies this year. She plans to wear her dance costume to MNSSHP this year. We saw it in the theater when it was making the rounds. We have never really stopped to watch it in CA, but I am sure next time, we will.

I would have done all the rides if we would have had more time. Well maybe not the ladybug ride, my stomach probably couldn't handle it.

I would love to spend that much time in the animation building! We just didn't have time plus the others didn't want to do anything else there.

I love Newsies, that will be a great Halloween costume!

awww you didn't do any of the kiddie rides! sad face!!

wonderful wieners i would have laughed right along with you.

Nope, no one wanted to ride with me. :( :rotfl2: Honestly I don't think I could have handled the spinning on the ladybug one.

I knew you would find that one funny too. ::yes::

Red Car Trolley News Boys Show Part 1

So the first part of this update is going to be very picture heavy. I took a large amount of photos during the Red Car Trolley New Boys Show. I’ll just try to share the best ones.

Both Jocelyn and I are huge fans of the movie and Broadway show Newsies so the Red Car Trolley show was a must do for both of us. Mom had seen a place in Hollywood Land that had smoothies so she headed back down the street to get one while John, Jocelyn and I found a spot for the show to start. Mom ended up missing a few minutes of the show but she got to see most of it.

The show is basically singing and dancing with Mickey Mouse joining at the end. It was a really cute show and we enjoyed it immensely. If you are interested in seeing it, here’s a version on You Tube. This version has Minnie Mouse in it but she did not appear when we watched.

And now on to the pictures.

I was a bit enamored by this particular Newsy.

And then as if by magic, Mickey appeared (he actually came out of the building behind the trolley. I was watching closely because I wanted to see how they made him appear).

Once the show was over, we needed to book it towards the Grizzly Peak area in order to make our Soarin’ FP. The problem we had though was Mom’s smoothie. She hadn’t come anywhere close to finishing it. We took turns chugging it as we walked towards Soarin’. I even had a little although I’m not a huge fan of smoothies. I think it was mango banana and I was surprised that I liked it so much.

We were a few minutes late entering the FP line but the CM just waived us through. The line area is a lot different than the one at WDW.

There’s a lot of stuff on the walls to look at and read.

I was going to ask for section B but we were directed there so I didn’t have to ask. This was both mine and Mom’s third time seeing the new Soarin’ movie but a first for John and Jocelyn. They loved the new version as much as Mom and I did.

Grizzly Falls is a raft ride similar to Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom but it was closed while we were there. No big deal, I found out this trip that Jocelyn hates water rides maybe even more than I do so we wouldn’t have ridden it anyways. We decided to circle around by the ride and check out the area on our way back to Paradise Pier.

Not sure what this plane was all about. The hotel behind it is the Grand Californian.

Entrance to the Grizzly Falls ride.

This next shot was the best one I could get of the Grizzly Falls Mountain.

Continued in Next Post

Red Car Trolley News Boys Show Part 2

The private entrance from the Grand Californian is back in that area too but I didn’t take any photos. While I think it would be awesome to have a private entrance to the park, the GC is really expensive (like $360 a night) and I’ve read that the rooms are very small compared to WDW deluxes. I really have no desire to stay on property at DL considering how much cheaper the partner hotels are.

We headed back to Paradise Pier and got back in line for the Fun Wheel. I think we waited about 20 minutes and unfortunately it did not break down this time. I didn’t take a picture of our car but we ended up in a Goofy one, not the Pluto one I wanted. I snapped a photo of John and Jocelyn before we started off.

So for those who have not seen Mickey’s Fun Wheel and what it does, here’s a couple of good videos. The first one is the whole wheel and the second is from inside one of the swinging cars.

It wasn’t too bad at first as it kept stopping to load cars. The view from the top was spectacular although it was very cold and windy up there. This ride more than any other messed with my hair.

Holy crap though, once we started going full speed around I was not a happy camper. The swinging is so much more violent than it looks in the video. It immediately turned my stomach and I am so glad you only go around at full speed one time or I might have needed a bag very quickly. Apparently they used to stock barf bags on this ride but while the spot for them was still there, the bags no longer were.

The funniest thing though was my brother. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him so scared in my life. He must have turned about ten shades of red and was clutching the seat for dear life. I wish I had gotten it on video but I was clutching my seat almost as hard as he was. Mom and Jocelyn were laughing at both of us.

After getting safely back on the ground, we walked over to Toy Story Mania to check out the line. The wait said 35 minutes but Jocelyn really wanted to ride so we got in line.

Oh, but first we used the restrooms near King Triton’s Carousel and I took a few pictures. It was down at that moment so there were no people on it.

The only picture I took in the TSM line was of Mr. Potato Head.

The line did move very quickly and I think it was only 25 minutes till we were loaded into our car. As usual, I beat everyone and was best in vehicle and best that hour.

After that, it was time to get a small snack before our evening surprise. Mom, John and Jocelyn all got popcorn while I got a Mickey Pretzel. We also got a few ice waters to share.

We still had some time before we needed to check in for the surprise so we decided to walk back to Carsland to see it at night. So the surprise was the World of Color Dessert Party. We walked right by the area where it was being set up on the way to Carsland. John and Jocelyn were oblivious but Mom spotted the area and figured out that was what we were doing. I guess since I surprised her with a dessert party at WDW in November she was more aware of this one. She was really excited but we still didn’t tell John and Jocelyn.

Carsland was absolutely stunning at night and my pictures don’t come anywhere close to showing the true beauty of the area.

Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree was a now a walk on so we did that next.

This ride was so much fun! The tractors went around in a figure eight and as you rounded the corners, it whipped you around really quickly. If you’ve ever been to an amusement park that has the old style whip rides, you will know what I’m talking about. We laughed and giggled through the whole ride. I would love it if they brought something similar to WDW and my wishful thinking has me hoping the new alien ride in Toy Story Land will be similar.

A few more night pictures of Carsland as we walked through.

We walked by the Cozy Cone to check out the different offerings. Each cone offered different food options.

Here comes Lightning McQueen again.

We exited out the back way from Carsland. I should have brought us in this way as it’s much more impressive than the front entrance.

And then we headed back to Paradise Pier to get in line for the Dessert Party. It was then that John and Jocelyn finally realized what we were doing for the evening.

Up Next: World of Color Dessert Party and Show

I loved that show so much! I always get Suitcase & a Dream stuck in my head! Great photos :)

Kudos to you for braving the swinging side of Mickey's Fun Wheel! It looks so scary!

Carsland really is stunning at night. Glad you got to get on Mater's Junkyard Jamboree!

Awww, the trolley show looked really cute!! I love Mickey's "new face"--he's just so cute!!

The swinging cars sound pretty intense, but I'm not gonna lie, I'd probably still have to try it out once just to say I did it (and survived!!) I think it's kind of funny that they stopped stocking the barf bags though--unless they really don't end up needing them that much--but you're not the only person I've heard had that feeling, so I'm kind of surprised!!

Carsland at night--wow!! I love it all lit up, and that rock work is AMAZING. It's just so impressive. I wish we were getting Carsland in WDW, but I'm sure Toy Story Land will be just as impressive.

Can't wait to hear about the dessert party! I think it's so sweet how you always try to throw in a little magical surprise on your trips.

The trolley show looks like a lot of fun!

Soarin is always good.

OMG the whole swinging cars story is hilarious. I don't know how I would react to it but I can totally picture in my mind how you guys were acting.

Carsland at night is stunning. I'm really hoping I get to see it in person soon.

Can't wait to hear about that dessert party!

Hi! I've been peeking through your TRs :)

I love Carsland at night! It's so neat from the back entrance. Mickey's fun wheel is terrifying. Never again. I bet I looked pretty similar to your brother on it, haha. I also used the Dessert Party as a surprise last summer, for my fiance. It started a couple months before our trip, and I kept telling him that the reviews were just terrible ;) I even let him pull Fastpasses for one of the viewing areas, and then when we were walking by the check in on our way to the FP area, I pulled him over to the Dessert Party line. It was one of the best moments of our trip. I haven't had a chance to watch the Trolley show, we'll have to catch it next time - I think we might be back in April. We just recently watched the Newsies movie for the first time.

Well, just that description of the funwheel makes me nauseated. Hard nope for me. It's still my favorite park icon though.

Can't wait to hear how the dessert party is!

Love the report. Since the land with Soarin was themed around an airfield, they have the plane. They used to do character meet and greets with Minnie Mouse. I wish I had the photos on my work computer. She was in a cute flight attendant costume.

The Mater ride is the favorite of Cars Land. I think the kids (even the adult kids) like it better than RSR.

We love the Newsies (Red Trolley) show. It is fun.

The private entrance to DCA from the hotel is insane in the morning. The line is awful. If that is a main reason for staying there and people are rope drop people, they will be disappointed.

I loved that show so much! I always get Suitcase & a Dream stuck in my head! Great photos :)

Kudos to you for braving the swinging side of Mickey's Fun Wheel! It looks so scary!

Carsland really is stunning at night. Glad you got to get on Mater's Junkyard Jamboree!

Yes, Suitcase and a Dream is one of my favorite songs! I have it on a Disneyland CD I bought a few years ago and I listen to it all the time. It was a lot of fun seeing it in the actual context it belongs in.

It was scary, never again.

Awww, the trolley show looked really cute!! I love Mickey's "new face"--he's just so cute!!

The swinging cars sound pretty intense, but I'm not gonna lie, I'd probably still have to try it out once just to say I did it (and survived!!) I think it's kind of funny that they stopped stocking the barf bags though--unless they really don't end up needing them that much--but you're not the only person I've heard had that feeling, so I'm kind of surprised!!

Carsland at night--wow!! I love it all lit up, and that rock work is AMAZING. It's just so impressive. I wish we were getting Carsland in WDW, but I'm sure Toy Story Land will be just as impressive.

Can't wait to hear about the dessert party! I think it's so sweet how you always try to throw in a little magical surprise on your trips.

We all loved the Trolley Show. I'm glad we took the time to watch it.

I'm the same way, I would have done the swinging cars once even if they didn't drag me on. But I definitely won't be riding it a second time! I may do the stationary cars just because the view is so spectacular up top. I think that they limit the time on the wheel now so people don't get sick. I think that may be why we only went around once at full speed.

Even if they do half of what they did in Carsland, Toy Story land will still be spectacular.

Dessert party coming right up! I love surprising Mom. I know she doesn't always have the funds to do the extra stuff so surprising her or giving them to her as a gift allows her to do them.

all this i love.. Every single thing..

WHEN WILL I GO THERE!!

Better start planning!!

The trolley show looks like a lot of fun!

Soarin is always good.

OMG the whole swinging cars story is hilarious. I don't know how I would react to it but I can totally picture in my mind how you guys were acting.

Carsland at night is stunning. I'm really hoping I get to see it in person soon.

Can't wait to hear about that dessert party!

The Trolley show is really fun, you should try to schedule it if you make it out there.

Looking back at the Fun Wheel ride it does seem funny now. It definitely did not at the time! I should have known it would be bad by the number of freak out videos on you tube.

I do hope you make it out there soon!

Hi! I've been peeking through your TRs :)

I love Carsland at night! It's so neat from the back entrance. Mickey's fun wheel is terrifying. Never again. I bet I looked pretty similar to your brother on it, haha. I also used the Dessert Party as a surprise last summer, for my fiance. It started a couple months before our trip, and I kept telling him that the reviews were just terrible ;) I even let him pull Fastpasses for one of the viewing areas, and then when we were walking by the check in on our way to the FP area, I pulled him over to the Dessert Party line. It was one of the best moments of our trip. I haven't had a chance to watch the Trolley show, we'll have to catch it next time - I think we might be back in April. We just recently watched the Newsies movie for the first time.

Thanks for stopping in!

Never, ever again for Mickey's Fun Wheel1

Definitely try to stop and see the Trolley Show if you get a chance. It was a lot of fun.

Awwww, great story about the dessert party. We loved it as well as you will see here in a minute.

Well, just that description of the funwheel makes me nauseated. Hard nope for me. It's still my favorite park icon though.

Can't wait to hear how the dessert party is!

It is a beautiful icon, even prettier at night. But I won't be doing the swinging cars again that's for sure!

Love the report. Since the land with Soarin was themed around an airfield, they have the plane. They used to do character meet and greets with Minnie Mouse. I wish I had the photos on my work computer. She was in a cute flight attendant costume.

The Mater ride is the favorite of Cars Land. I think the kids (even the adult kids) like it better than RSR.

We love the Newsies (Red Trolley) show. It is fun.

The private entrance to DCA from the hotel is insane in the morning. The line is awful. If that is a main reason for staying there and people are rope drop people, they will be disappointed.

Ah OK, I was just wondering if the plane was anything special or just a prop. You know, kind of like how they had Walt's plane at HS.

We loved the Mater ride, I hope they bring a version to WDW.

Yeah, I've read about those insane lines, definitely would rather stay where we did.

I know you said you wanted to do the Pluto virtual runs

The medals look awesome!

Thank you Ryan! Yes, I did sign up, I had a reminder on my calendar. Plus I bought some of the merchandise from the Disney Store online. I'm a sucker for anything with Pluto. Now I just need to find some 5Ks to run. I'm signed up for one on April 22nd and one on May 13th but they are too early for this.

Thank you Ryan! Yes, I did sign up, I had a reminder on my calendar. Plus I bought some of the merchandise from the Disney Store online. I'm a sucker for anything with Pluto. Now I just need to find some 5Ks to run. I'm signed up for one on April 22nd and one on May 13th but they are too early for this.
Awesome! I decided to sign up too!

World of Color Dessert Party and Show Part 1

We had a 7:30 pm reservation for the World of Color Dessert Party and I’m pretty sure we lined up a little after 7 pm. We were the second group in line and it filled in behind us pretty quickly.

A little before 7:30 the CM checked us in, gave us each a wrist band and then directed us down the path to a pink light where we met up with a different CM. He asked us if we had a seating preference and I said we wanted a high top table along the front railing towards the middle. He said he would give us table #7 and then lead us there. This was our view when we sat down.

Pretty nice but I will say that the concrete area there in front of us did fill up with people and blocked our view a little bit. I’ll talk about all that after the desserts. First up, the menu for the evening.

We each got a plate with all of those items on it.

Plus a bread basket for the whole table.

John and Jocelyn were enjoying the party.

We also got one alcoholic drink each which was either a blue vodka drink or champagne. Mom, John and I got the vodka drink and Jocelyn got champagne. The drink was pretty good, I know I enjoyed mine.

I also asked our waiter if we could have water and he brought us four bottles. He saw me taking pictures and offered to get one of our whole table. This is one of my favorite pictures from the trip.

Now as many of you know, I’m a bit on the picky side so I struggled a bit with the desserts. I knew this though when I booked the party. I loved the Chocolate Bundt Cake and Mom gave me hers because she doesn’t eat chocolate at night. I also tried some of the Carmal Cheesecake but wasn’t a huge fan. I also ate my grapes, a few pieces of the bread and the Brie cheese but passed the other two cheeses to John and Jocelyn. Everyone else cleared their plates except for the Mickey Coconut Macaroon. It seemed to be the least favorite of all the desserts.

Our waiter was super attentive and even stood and talked with us a while. At one point, I noticed that the foot rest on my chair was broken. My legs were hurting a bit because I couldn’t rest my feet on anything. There was an empty table behind me so I got up to change out the chair. I barely stood up before he was there and asked what I needed. I showed him the chair and he apologized over and over and got me a new one.

Before long it was time for the World of Color show. Here’s a new shot with the people now in the area in front of us.

Right before WOC, there was a short show for the Chinese New Year. It was something about a lantern finding its way home. Here’s some pictures from it.

There were even a few fireworks at the end.

Then it was time for WOC to start. I took an obscene amount of photos so let me try to sort through them and post the best ones.

There were different scenes from Disney movies. I think this section was Little Mermaid.

There was a Toy Story section.

A bit from Up. This was the only semi good picture I got of that part.

Aladdin

Pocahontas

Continued in Next Post

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter