Modifying Reservation Less Than 30 Days

antmr7

Earning My Ears
If you modify a reservation less than 30 days from check in to a later date what happens with your points?

I know if you cancel they go into holding but what if you modified to a later date that used the same amount or more points? Would you only be able to modify to a reservation 60 days from the date you are making it with those points?

Once you modify it, it puts all the points into holding status so it will only allow you to book something 60 days or less from check in. Once you move the reservation, and cancel it, even if it is more than 30 days out, those points remain in holding.

Basically, once within 31 days of a trip, and changes to the trip, not just cancel, result in the points becoming restricted, even if you are just modifying it.

I just did this last night...but the room I was choosing was for the same night and was for more points so I didn't need to worry about the "holding" status since I was using them for a new resort for the same night.

Once you modify it, it puts all the points into holding status so it will only allow you to book something 60 days or less from check in. Once you move the reservation, and cancel it, even if it is more than 30 days out, those points remain in holding.

Basically, once within 31 days of a trip, and changes to the trip, not just cancel, result in the points becoming restricted, even if you are just modifying it.

I just did this last night...but the room I was choosing was for the same night and was for more points so I didn't need to worry about the "holding" status since I was using them for a new resort for the same night.

Thank you for the information. Would you be able to apply the points to a reservation you have booked already once the 60 day window opens up?

From everyone’s experience how hard is it to get something within 60 days of booking?

Thank you for the information. Would you be able to apply the points to a reservation you have booked already once the 60 day window opens up?

From everyone’s experience how hard is it to get something within 60 days of booking?

I have had luck swapping in holding points into something that was booked already within 60 days. In terms of finding something, it really all depends on when you are traveling. I have made plenty of switches for rooms within 60 days. If you are open to staying anywhere, its usually a pretty good bet that you can find something open!

I have had luck swapping in holding points into something that was booked already within 60 days. In terms of finding something, it really all depends on when you are traveling. I have made plenty of switches for rooms within 60 days. If you are open to staying anywhere, its usually a pretty good bet that you can find something open!

Thanks again for the information. We normally do not make changes after 30 days but it is some good information to know just in case

Thanks again for the information. We normally do not make changes after 30 days but it is some good information to know just in case

I’ll just add that the loophole of sliding holding points into a reservation already booked May disappear at any time. So don’t count on that as something.

I had a similar question. We have a reservation starting Dec 7th. It's for 10 nights. However, it's now looking like we will need to leave earlier, but won't know for sure until next week. Next week, will I be able to modify the reservation where I'm able to keep the first 5 days but cancel the last 5? (It will be less than 31 days from the check-in, but more than 31 days from the days that we would drop.)

What are our options? Thanks very much for your help.

I will also say do not count on Member Services to swap the points either. I have been told they can only be used towards new reservations made, not existing ones.

I had a similar question. We have a reservation starting Dec 7th. It's for 10 nights. However, it's now looking like we will need to leave earlier, but won't know for sure until next week. Next week, will I be able to modify the reservation where I'm able to keep the first 5 days but cancel the last 5? (It will be less than 31 days from the check-in, but more than 31 days from the days that we would drop.)

What are our options? Thanks very much for your help.

The points will most likely go into holding.

However, once you modify and see the holding points, it should allow you modify again and pick up the holding points and free up others.

So next week, which would be 20 some days out, if I have to modify and drop my last 5 nights, those points from the last 5 nights will go in to holding. But then if I modify that same reservation again....
but I don't change anything within the reservation, those holding points would then be picked up by that reservation of my first 5 nights??

So next week, which would be 20 some days out, if I have to modify and drop my last 5 nights, those points from the last 5 nights will go in to holding. But then if I modify that same reservation again....
but I don't change anything within the reservation, those holding points would then be picked up by that reservation of my first 5 nights??

Possibly. No guarantees but some of us have hd luck with an online modification picking them up into something there.

It shouldn’t really, because it is supposed to be for new ones. But best case it does…worst case it doesn’t.

ETA. Scratch all of this. Even if it takes the holding what is freed up will be within 31 days too so those will now be in holding. I think you are stuck either way unless you modify 31 days or more..so by the 6th at the latest.

Last edited:
I agree with Sandi’s second post - *all* of the points will go into holding. Decide 31 days out.

I haven't dealt with this before, but I was wondering... could Member Services break down this reservation in 2 reservations right now? So that if the second portion needs to be cancelled the points wouldn't go into holding for 5 more days?
If any of you with much more experience than I could help with this... I'm interested because I might need to do this next year...

I haven't dealt with this before, but I was wondering... could Member Services break down this reservation in 2 reservations right now? So that if the second portion needs to be cancelled the points wouldn't go into holding for 5 more days?
If any of you with much more experience than I could help with this... I'm interested because I might need to do this next year...
Generally, no, MS can’t break it down. If you think you might want a split stay or otherwise need separate parts, it’s best to book it that way from the beginning so that at 7 months you can modify just the one segment. If you end up not changing it and all segments are same resort/villa size/view, you can chat or email MS to have them combined into one reservation.

Generally, no, MS can’t break it down. If you think you might want a split stay or otherwise need separate parts, it’s best to book it that way from the beginning so that at 7 months you can modify just the one segment. If you end up not changing it and all segments are same resort/villa size/view, you can chat or email MS to have them combined into one reservation.
Thank you for the reply. I thought that could be a viable solution, because I've read many times here about combining different reservations into one, so I thought they might be able to do the opposite.
Good to know and not count on this...

They have not ever been able to do it...but I always book my trips into two parts since we split stay a lot. This way, its easy. The only drawback to starting that way is that you have different 11 month windows. That can be hard if you are booking at a difficult time or difficult room type.

When I had this issue, I simply snagged one room, and then the next day, another, and then just walked the second one into the second part of the trip. I even started a few days early to ensure I could do it.

If you need to change within 31 days, are there restrictions (ie 60 days) on what you can change to? If I have a booking for next week, can I modify to next Spring for example? Thanks.

If you need to change within 31 days, are there restrictions (ie 60 days) on what you can change to? If I have a booking for next week, can I modify to next Spring for example? Thanks.
Cancelling or modifying within 30 days would put them into holding and they could only be used for stays within 60 days of booking.

One option to consider as a last resort... we cancelled in August within 31 days... we are going now over Christmas. I knew there was no change of booking the holding points, so I sold the reservation, got cash, and booked December (non DVC) with the cash. Just a choice if all else fails.

We did this on our recent trip, modified from 2 nights at Riv to extend 2 more nights at BCV to avoid a move and it was a few less points which went into holding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter