Moderate Resorts, how to choose

jbethke

Earning My Ears
:jester:

We are planning a trip the first part of December and like the price with the new codes for the Moderate Resorts, but which one is the best. There will be 3 adults, 2 seniors and 2 kids (ages 3 and 6).

We are only staying three nights and will spend most of the time at the parks, not at the resort, but want to head back to the resort at lunchtime for naps for the kids.

So what resort would be best for us, can anyone help us decide? We do want a resort that does have some amenities for the kids, but is also quite/peaceful and nice surroundings.

The transportation is about equal for all four moderate resorts. Their locations are all fine and easy to deal with. POR and POFQ have the extra boat down the river to Downtown Disney. Each of them have a main pool and smaller quiet pools. The rooms at Carribean beach are a little bigger with two sinks and a counter in the vanity area. The rooms at Coronado Springs have only one sink in the counter. POR and POFQ have two pedistal sinks in the vanity area with a small shelf above them on the wall. The Carribean Beach has no elevators. the Alligator Bayou part of POR has no elevators as well.
You will need two rooms and need to ask for connecting rooms.
Each of the rersorts has it's quiet spots and busy spots. They all are themed nicely and where you stay really depends on what theme intriques you the most.
The kids will like all four though I think the main pool at POR is the least themed though it is fun and nice.

I feel the transportation is better at CSR for a few reasons. The buses are usually less full because folks are attending conventions. These buses are not shared with any other resort so you have quicker service. CSR also has direct service to the Boardwalk.

CSR has the best pool area.

Check out pictures on my site below

I'd pick POFQ, but that's my favorite moderate. :D The size is small, which is nice for kids and seniors. The pool is great, and there are lots of quiet courtyards where adults can have coffee and enjoy the scenery.

I would probably lean towards POFQ too. The seniors will enjoy the size of the resort. Easy to get around and only 1 bus stop. The kids will like the pool and everyone will like the boat to DD. Plus you can walk to POR for different food or pool options. Took my parents and kids there a few years ago and they loved it. My father especially liked the piped in jazz music. CBR is just too spread out and I've never been to CSR but assume it might also be spread out.

When I called using the new code, I was told that CS was not one of the discounted moderates so we switched to WL. We were going to pay 148.00 at CS and got WL for 119.00.

I am still undecided as to which one to stay at, I like the idea of even upgrading further to the AKL or WL but just not sure if spending the extra money for just the three days is really worth it, especially since we will not be spending that much time at the resort.
:rolleyes:

Bumcat....$119 for the WL?! Is that the value sason (Nov/Dec)? I'm going in Oct (regular season) and have POFQ for $99.

Just curious....we'd love to try the WL.

Thanks!

Please note...a previous poster stated that both PO-R and PO-FQ have a main pool and quiet pools. In fact, only PO-R has quiet pools scattered throughout the resort. PO-FQ only has one - a Sea Serpent themed pool.

As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat PO-R for peace and seclusion. PO-FQ is great for it's smaller size, but the constant jazz music being piped in gets a little old for me.

If walking and distance is an issue, request either Building 14, 15, 18 or 27 and you'll be within 5 minutes of the food court, main buildings, and main bus stop.

This is a beautiful resort that the adults will greatly appreciate!

We too, had a difficult time deciding which moderate to stay at. We finally went with POR's Riverside (formerly known as Dixie Landing). We had a great time there, it really is a beautiful resort. I think you would like it as well.:D

If it were me I would lean towards POFQ. Your children will love the pool there. Alligators playing instruments, a clam cascading water down, and a nice slide that the younger one can even go down. The playground is perfect for that age, also. It is small but has enough to keep them busy. Plus, the resort has large spaces of green grass where the kids can run, if they need to burn off some energy. The food court was just redone and is similar to Riverside's (which we realy like).

My parents are seniors and have gone with us on five trips. They also like the resort. It is small and isn't as overwhelming as the others...only 1/2 the number of rooms. They also didn't feel like it was quite as "busy" as Riverside and they liked that. They also really like the boat to DTD in the evenings.

POFQ does share a bus with Riverside. But FQ is the first stop on and the first stop off. This is nice in the evening when you are ready to get back home. The other advantage to FQ is that you can use all the facilities at Riverside which means you have access to another 6 quiet pools, a main theme pool, and a fishing hole where the kids can fish (for a fee of course).

The rooms are comfortable and every building has an elevator (something my parents appreciate in the evening.).

I've stayed at every moderate but FQ and I would recommend any of them but Coronado Springs. I just didn't get a very good vibe from CS--but I won't go into it because you weren't thinking of it anyway.

As for staying at WL or AKL, if you want to spend the extra money, that's great! I've stayed at AKL and would say that if you're not that interested in the resort, I wouldn't stay there. For a "deluxe" resort, the rooms are kind of small. And for a non-savannah room (you are in no way guaranteed an upgrade to a savannah room, although I've heard of it happening), to really enjoy the animals at the resort will take away some of your park touring time. It is very pretty there, but just not worth it to me. For me, the main reason to stay at a deluxe is being close to the parks (but that's just me), and the only park the AKL is close to is the AK. The WL, on the other hand, is very close to the Magic Kingdom and not too far away from Epcot.

My fave moderate is PO-Riverside, but I'd probably love FQ if I stayed there.
Hope this helps.

We stayed at POFQ last year with a 5 and 2 year old because of the size. We felt that it would be easier to handle two small children in a small resort. We had a very nice time and found everything easy to reach at this resort. Also, the kids really enjoyed the pool area - sea serpent.

That being said, I have heard great things about CBR, but it is supposed to be big. Also, while a lot of posters seem to enjoy POR, my sister did have a negative experience there (several years ago in Alligator Bayou section - dirty and dark).

I think you really have to look at theming and see if one stands out to you. While I enjoyed the jazz music at POFQ, one previous poster didn't like it. Personally, I would have probably preferred the theming and music at CBR, but in this case size was a bigger factor in my selection.

POR or WL! Both are quiet and have lots for kids and both have boat rides!:cool: You cannot go wrong at either. With WL you get the balcony(great to put the kids to bed and sit outside at night and during naps!), the boat to MK and the EWP each night.
POR has a better food court IMHO:D . Both have nice pools with slides. WL is easier to get around(though I did get lost once or twice :rolleyes: ), PO is nice to walk around and explore too. At WL you can enjoy the anemities if it rains as it is all under one roof! I would go with either of these for the code price. Enjoy!:cool:

If you have 5 people you can get a trundle bed at POR in the riverside rooms it is only a little extra but worth it!! I just booked there for dec and used the codes no problem. got it for 90.10 with tax.

They have 7 people. Clearly they will need two rooms wherever they stay among the choices they've given themselves.

I want to thank everyone for helping us decide on which resort to stay at for the three days we will be there.

We have decided to do it right and stay at the AKL. It's a bit more than what we wanted to spend, but with the rates out right now we just felt we couldn't pass on the deal.

We are hoping when the AP rate comes out this Sunday it will be even lower than the current rates.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter