• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Moderate Resort - POR

GR8LSUFAN

Earning My Ears
I just changed my reservation to PO - Riverside. I had it at the WL, I just could not justify the $1300 difference.

I have stayed at PO before but it has been some 12+ years ago. We have not been to Disney since. I've always dreamed of staying at the Contemporary hotel with the monorail running through it, but I just can't justify that price.

We currently have a time share through Marriott, which makes staying on Disney grounds difficult due to the difference in price. But I'm determined to make this a magical experience for my kids!

Tell me I won't be disappointed changing my reservation from WL to PO.

And could someone tell me the difference in the moderate compared to the deluxe besides the name!

Thanks!

I can't compare the deluxes to the POR becuase we couldn't justify the cost either. We stayed at POR in October in a Royal Room and loved it! The grounds are so beautiful, the food court is great, a lot of options, the Ole Man Island pool and hot tub were a big hit with he kids, and the boat to DTD was nice. I don't think you'll be disappointed. We would go back to POR in a heartbeat!

You can check out the POR thread for all the amentities or portorleans.org. I don't think you will find a better moderate resort.

While going deluxe is wonderful, many of us cannot justify the expense. I can tell you I was lucky enough to snag a deluxe for the 4/3 deal several years ago and I was very disappointed.

I couldn't wait to get back to POR.

WOW! I'm thinking my loss of sleep last night over booking the deluxe and getting up and changing my reservation to POR may have been worth it.

I just feel now I won't be stressing over how much all this is going to cost. This is the first time traveling to Disney with a 10 and 13 year old, and having to pay for them.

I couldn't justify the deluxe cost when it was just hubby and I, I guess I should've realized with 2 kids added to the mix and realizing how much food is going to cost . . . I should just be happy with POR.

Thanks!

When are you planning on going? You should check with magical vacations travel agency (you can search other threads to find out more info) to see if they can quote you a cheaper room. They had some pretty good prices on the WL during August.

i know that the deluxe resorts are more expensive than a moderate. but I really enjoy all the extra. I like the size of the resorts like AKL, WL and the epcot resorts ( just to name a few) I love the balconies at night when the kids are asleep, the extra room and having more than just the buses to the the parks as a choice.

It is completely up to what works for your family. for us not having to deal with the buses is worth the money for us.:worship: this time around we are staying at the YC only 2 parks with a bus ride :woohoo:

I really like POR. I have stayed at AKL and POR and I have to say that I still prefer POR. I like the fact that you have 6 pools to choose from. The food court is good especially with the make you own salad and pasta. The resort is big which makes it for a better time as I feel like I'm not stepping on the next person KWIM. I have to say that I'venever had problems with the bus but some have said it can get busy. We usally do realy meal before rope drop therefor avoid rush in the morning and we stick around later at after the park closes to shop therefor miss most of the rush again.

I think you will be very happy with PO, I have stayed at 2 deluxes and all of the moderates, and have loved them all for different reasons. But without some sort of discount, I'm with you, justifying the cost difference is hard. I'd rather spent the money doing extras like a dinner show or La Nouba!

I think you will be very happy with PO, I have stayed at 2 deluxes and all of the moderates, and have loved them all for different reasons. But without some sort of discount, I'm with you, justifying the cost difference is hard. I'd rather spent the money doing extras like a dinner show or La Nouba!

I've been to wdw three times and i have only ever stayed at POR. I would have liked to stay at the dexlue,but i couldn't be comfortable with the cost. Also i will be spending most of the day in the parks. I loved POR RIVERSIDE ROYAL GUEST ROOM. Same as DisDW but i may get a mancuire and pedcuire at the Grand.

We try to do each trip differently. We loved Contemporary for the views of the Magic Kingdom and ease of the monorail, but we also loved Port Orleans Riverside. We stayed in the Royal Room, and it was just fabulous. It was fun to reach up and set off the fireworks above our bed in the middle of the night and the details in the room were great. The RRs are also near the main building, so transportation was easy. I do think the price difference for the RR is worth it.

As long as you go in with realistic expectations (slightly smaller room and a little more walking than a deluxe, a little longer wait for the bus), you'll have a great time.

I am also a POR lover! We cannot justify the cost of staying at Deluxe resorts and having stayed at all four of the moderates, we think Port Orleans is perfect! I like POFQ and POR. This year we are staying in a Royal Room at Riverside and I am so excited. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. To me, POR is like a mini deluxe... gorgeous grounds, queen sized beds, great pools, awesome foodcourt and boats to DTD.

i know that the deluxe resorts are more expensive than a moderate. but I really enjoy all the extra. I like the size of the resorts like AKL, WL and the epcot resorts ( just to name a few) I love the balconies at night when the kids are asleep, the extra room and having more than just the buses to the the parks as a choice.

It is completely up to what works for your family. for us not having to deal with the buses is worth the money for us.:worship: this time around we are staying at the YC only 2 parks with a bus ride :woohoo:

Just a thought on this. We LOVE the deluxe resorts but again can not always justify the cost. 3 weeks ago we stayed at POR for the first time and loved it!! Our biggest issue no matter where we stay are the busses. Our solution is we pay for cabs when needed! We probably spent $200 on cabs this last trip but that is a heck of a lot less than the $1500 more it would have cost to stay at a deluxe!! We have also rented a car in the past but honestly cabs are SO easy and always so available!! Just wanted to share!

Kim

I am a DVC member that's out of points but still wanted to take my two older kids for a quick trip in May. Originally I had us booked at ASSports, to save money, but just upgraded to POR in a royal room. I just didn't want to deal with the bus situation at a value...I know it's mostly buses at POR too but I have heard they aren't as crowded. With two kids under 5 in tow I would like to have something more low key. I think we both made the right decision..WL is awesome but that is a huge price difference that, like other posters said, can be spent on other things :)

As much as I would love to stay in a deluxe I can't justify the cost. We love POR. We've tried booking elsewhere and always end up back there. We're staying in a Royal Room in June. Looking forward to it makes me feel like I'm headed home. It just has such a relaxing atmosphere, which is perfect after a hectic day at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter