Mobility Device Question

SquashBanana

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone. I am posting this for a friend (who seriously is not me) who unfortunately broke his foot a week ago and our first park day is this coming Thursday. He was wondering if this device would be allowed in the parks to help him move around.
1719176302388.png

It is technically a recreational scooter, which is prohibited, but it has 3 wheels and can stand upright on its own, which is allowable. The uncertainty comes with him using what is technically a recreational scooter, but for non-recreational purposes. He will be in a walking boot using the scooter at a slow pace.

Here are Disney's rules regarding such devices.

My friend is going to call Disney, but just in case he doesn't get a clear answer, I thought I would throw it out to the experts here to see if anyone had any personal experience with this situation. Thanks!

I don't believe that will be allowed. Someone asked about these not too long ago. I believe it would be considered a "recreational device" and denied into the parks. Has he looked into a knee scooter if he wants that sort of thing? I think that's the more appropriate device with a boot if he doesn't want to use a wheelchair or ECV.

From the Prohibited list you linked (bolding is mine):
  • Recreational devices such as drones, remote-control toys, skateboards, scooters, inline skates or shoes with built-in wheels. Bicycles are permitted only in designated Disney Resort areas.

I don't believe that will be allowed. Someone asked about these not too long ago. I believe it would be considered a "recreational device" and denied into the parks. Has he looked into a knee scooter if he wants that sort of thing? I think that's the more appropriate device with a boot if he doesn't want to use a wheelchair or ECV.

From the Prohibited list you linked (bolding is mine):
  • Recreational devices such as drones, remote-control toys, skateboards, scooters, inline skates or shoes with built-in wheels. Bicycles are permitted only in designated Disney Resort areas.
Thanks. So it sounds like whether it's a medical grade scooter vs recreational is what makes the difference.

Thanks. So it sounds like whether it's a medical grade scooter vs recreational is what makes the difference.
I am pretty sure there are not 'medical grade' scooters like the one you posted.
The knee scooters @lanejudy mentioned are not motorized. They are walkers for people with one injured foot as an alternative to crutches. This is what they look like (not my picture)IMG_4140.jpeg

I did see a woman at Old Key West in April with a motorized scooter somewhat similar to your picture. Hers had 4 wheels, not 3, so it looked more stable. It also had a seat.
She was using it around the resort and I don't know if she used it anywhere else. I've never seen anyone with one like your picture at a park or Disney Springs.
I am pretty sure it would be considered a recreational device.

He is trying to avoid the knee scooter because the pad is very uncomfortable without modifying it, but that may be our only option.

How is he envisioning using that scooter? Presumably, the issue is that he isn't weightbearing on his broken foot, so that cannot be the one he's using to stand on the scooter. However, equally, I don't see that using the broken foot to push would work well/be good for the healing foot.

How is he envisioning using that scooter? Presumably, the issue is that he isn't weightbearing on his broken foot, so that cannot be the one he's using to stand on the scooter. However, equally, I don't see that using the broken foot to push would work well/be good for the healing foot.
He is in an air cast/boot so he is allowed to bear weight on the foot. According to him, he was thinking he could swap out between using the broken foot to scoot and bear weight on the scooter. The more we discuss it, the more he is realizing that isn't feasible on a two week trip. The swelling would be a major factor after a day or so. He going to visit a medical supply store tomorrow to see all his options.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest