Mobile Ordering

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Mobile Ordering is something new since we went to WDW last (which was in 2014). I'm assuming it came out of covid.

Questions
  1. Do you have to do mobile ordering? Or it's just an option?
  2. Is seems like for mobile ordering, you can't do it on the spot? i.e. must be set up hours beforehand? The one advantage of Quick Service over Table Service is you are not tied to time (which makes it less stressful with lightning lanes or "do I have time to go on this ride" scenario)
  3. Is the advantage just that you don't have to wait in line?

Mobile Ordering is something new since we went to WDW last (which was in 2014). I'm assuming it came out of covid.

Questions
  1. Do you have to do mobile ordering? Or it's just an option?
  2. Is seems like for mobile ordering, you can't do it on the spot? i.e. must be set up hours beforehand? The one advantage of Quick Service over Table Service is you are not tied to time (which makes it less stressful with lightning lanes or "do I have time to go on this ride" scenario)
  3. Is the advantage just that you don't have to wait in line?
I will answer your questions based on my experience in April during Spring Break

1. All of the QS places we visited that offered mobile ordering also gave you the option of standing in line.
2. We did all of our mobile ordering on the spot. A few times we went inside and sat down at a table, ordered our food and within a few minutes got the text message saying it was ready and I was able to go right to the counter to pick it up.
3. yes - pretty much. We also liked being able to take our time looking at the menu on the phone. My daughters have a bit of social anxiety so they are more comfortable that way.

I will answer your questions based on my experience in April during Spring Break

1. All of the QS places we visited that offered mobile ordering also gave you the option of standing in line.
2. We did all of our mobile ordering on the spot. A few times we went inside and sat down at a table, ordered our food and within a few minutes got the text message saying it was ready and I was able to go right to the counter to pick it up.
3. yes - pretty much. We also liked being able to take our time looking at the menu on the phone. My daughters have a bit of social anxiety so they are more comfortable that way.

Thank you. Great to hear that it's available but not required...and great too that you can order when you are there vs having to select your lunch place, meal and time hours earlier.

P.S. - I love your signature. Seems like Disney has given you / will give you many special celebration trips!

Thank you. Great to hear that it's available but not required...and great too that you can order when you are there vs having to select your lunch place, meal and time hours earlier.

P.S. - I love your signature. Seems like Disney has given you / will give you many special celebration trips!
I should note - I have seen reports that during busy times of day people have had much longer waits than normal. Someone mentioned 40 minutes recently at the busiest time around lunch.

We tend to eat our meals at weird times Like 11 AM or 4 PM to avoid the rush. If you try to go at 12 Noon to one of the busiest lunch places you may experience something different.

Thanks - yes we have had some great memory making trips to WDW. It's amazing how almost every trip we discover something new!

Do you have to do mobile ordering? Or it's just an option?

You don't have to mobile order at most places, though I have seen a few restaurants require it and were not letting people without an order to pick up inside. On my trip in May, I saw Satu'li Canteen in AK and ABC Commissary in HS doing this. I actually prefer it this way as you don't have to fight for a table and most tables are not taken up by people without food (or food that they brought into the park). I haven't done this myself but I have read reports of people requesting to order at the register at these places but you have to be persistent about it.

Is seems like for mobile ordering, you can't do it on the spot? i.e. must be set up hours beforehand? The one advantage of Quick Service over Table Service is you are not tied to time (which makes it less stressful with lightning lanes or "do I have time to go on this ride" scenario)

It depends. On my May trip I had zero issue doing it on the spot but during President's day week in February you HAD to order in advance due to how busy it was. Places like Woody's Lunchbox quickly ran out of spots and you could have a situation where you couldn't pick up your order for another 3 hours. You can also change your time once you place your order though I was never able to get this to work on MDE.

Is the advantage just that you don't have to wait in line?

Yup and it's an AMAZING advantage. Every time I mobile ordered in May I received my food in 5 minutes or less while there were massive lines to order at the register. Going forward I will never go to a quick service that doesn't have mobile order. It's easy and efficient. I do agree with NavyDad in that at super busy times such as holidays you can still wait a long time with mobile order. I did one at Peco Bill during President's day week and waited an hour for my food to be ready due to how busy they were at the time.

Do you have to do mobile ordering? Or it's just an option?

You don't have to mobile order at most places, though I have seen a few restaurants require it and were not letting people without an order to pick up inside. On my trip in May, I saw Satu'li Canteen in AK and ABC Commissary in HS doing this. I actually prefer it this way as you don't have to fight for a table and most tables are not taken up by people without food (or food that they brought into the park). I haven't done this myself but I have read reports of people requesting to order at the register at these places but you have to be persistent about it.

Is seems like for mobile ordering, you can't do it on the spot? i.e. must be set up hours beforehand? The one advantage of Quick Service over Table Service is you are not tied to time (which makes it less stressful with lightning lanes or "do I have time to go on this ride" scenario)

It depends. On my May trip I had zero issue doing it on the spot but during President's day week in February you HAD to order in advance due to how busy it was. Places like Woody's Lunchbox quickly ran out of spots and you could have a situation where you couldn't pick up your order for another 3 hours. You can also change your time once you place your order though I was never able to get this to work on MDE.

Is the advantage just that you don't have to wait in line?

Yup and it's an AMAZING advantage. Every time I mobile ordered in May I received my food in 5 minutes or less while there were massive lines to order at the register. Going forward I will never go to a quick service that doesn't have mobile order. It's easy and efficient. I do agree with NavyDad in that at super busy times such as holidays you can still wait a long time with mobile order. I did one at Peco Bill during President's day week and waited an hour for my food to be ready due to how busy they were at the time.
Thanks for the feedback.

Silly question but what do you mean by "don't have to fight for a table and most tables are not taken up by people without food"? Wouldn't you still sit at the QS table?

Good tips to watch when it's busy and eat at off hours.

Thanks for the feedback.

Silly question but what do you mean by "don't have to fight for a table and most tables are not taken up by people without food"? Wouldn't you still sit at the QS table?

Good tips to watch when it's busy and eat at off hours.
So at Satu'li and ABC Commissary, Cast Members were not letting anyone into the restaurants unless their food was ready to be picked up. That means that by the time you go in to get your food, there are plenty of tables available. A common issue that happens at quick service restaurants is that when you have your tray of food, there are no tables available because they are taken up by groups that are waiting for their food while one of the people in their group are waiting at the register or people sit at those tables with outside food. By limiting who can go into the restaurant it makes it so paying customers who already have their food can find a place to sit.

So at Satu'li and ABC Commissary, Cast Members were not letting anyone into the restaurants unless their food was ready to be picked up. That means that by the time you go in to get your food, there are plenty of tables available. A common issue that happens at quick service restaurants is that when you have your tray of food, there are no tables available because they are taken up by groups that are waiting for their food while one of the people in their group are waiting at the register or people sit at those tables with outside food. By limiting who can go into the restaurant it makes it so paying customers who already have their food can find a place to sit.
Also a huge problem during the summer months, people getting out of the heat and sitting at tables just for the a/c. Probably one of the few rules I hope they keep indefinitely.

got the text message
Can I just clarify this part please? Is this an actual text message on your phone or a notification within the Disney app? I have a UK phone and worry about texts arriving in a timely manner to my 'foreign' phone, whereas the Disney app will be on the wifi in the parks and probably pretty much instant. TIA

Can I just clarify this part please? Is this an actual text message on your phone or a notification within the Disney app? I have a UK phone and worry about texts arriving in a timely manner to my 'foreign' phone, whereas the Disney app will be on the wifi in the parks and probably pretty much instant. TIA
It’s a notification in the MDE app. So just make sure you have notifications enabled under My Account -> My Profile.

I love mobile ordering! I pick a time and place then order in the morning and am good to go if things get crazy at my QS of choice. Doing this commits you to NOTHING! You can edit the time and the order… you can cancel it if your plans change. I do this often. They don’t actually begin working on your order until you click “I’m here” which lots of folks will do as they walk over. You arrive and you’re good to go with no issues waiting for food or finding seating. Honestly, I really find it so easy and convenient.

Last edited:
Also a huge problem during the summer months, people getting out of the heat and sitting at tables just for the a/c. Probably one of the few rules I hope they keep indefinitely.

As a usually solo traveller, I adore this method since I don't have anyone to either scout a table while I order or order while I scout a table.

I've occasionally seen people take advantage of it and stay well beyond when they have finished - either for air conditioning or, back when masks were required unless stationary and eating/drinking, to stretch out their mask-free time. That one was at Satu'li where a family at a nearby table was clearly done eating even when I sat down, but continued to sit; three times I saw a CM go over and offer to take their dishes, and the third time the youngest girl tried to give the CM the tray but the mother snatched it back and put it on the table and said "We're not finished yet." then as soon as the CM walked away hissed at the girl "The longer we sit here, the longer we can keep our masks off."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!