MK no longer "dry"????

minnie mum said:
Anytime alcohol and MK are mentioned in the same breath, someone always trots out this old hack and it is SOOOO infuriating!!. And it is not even slightly relevant. Club 33 is a private club. It is not open to the park. Joe Schmo from Idaho can't just walz in and order a brew. The public areas of Disneyland are dry.

And so will the public areas of the MK they have already said only at dinner and only in be our guest, it's not like they are putting a cart on main Street selling beer.

Sent from my Samsung Galexy Ace using the DISBoards app

I think people are over reacting, it's just a little beer or wine with dinner, in one table service location, at dinner only. My guess is most guests won't even know that alcohol is available. People are reacting as if they opened a bar up on Main Street, you won't be able to just wander in and order a beer.

And all this business about Walt, Walt opened club 33 in Disneyland. Sure it's a private club, but it's still in Disneyland.

My thoughts on this from the TPA&S thread on the subject

I don't mind a drink, and enjoy drinking around the world at EPCOT or hanging out at the Tune Inn at MGM.... But i'm not entirely sure how I feel about this yet.

In general, I don't have an issue with a glass of wine or beer with dinner, especially at a TS restaurant.....which only has 1 TS meal a day. It ultimately wouldn't be any worse than the people who can hit a monorail to one of the monorail resorts for lunch today.

What worries me more though is the potential for creep of this policy, ESPECIALLY with the logic they used in announcing it.

"It's only logical in a French Restaurant!"

So why wouldn't offering Italian Wines be logical in an Italian Restaurant? Or Champagne, or even Mead.... be logical in a Castle?
Or beers/whiskey/mead type beverages in a Colonial restaurant?

To go a bit further.....

Crystal Palace is based off a French location.... so it's French right?

Or worse....

'It's only logical to serve alcohol in a Tavern'.... so there goes Gaston's and Tortuga.

It's a fine line, and while I don't have a problem with Adults being adults and drinking.... I worry about the tradition of the MK being dry... and the possibility of them deciding to make it much easier to get, throughout the day. I also feel a lot of times like the MK is more cramped and crowded.... and can be hot and miserable more than the other parks.... so I can see alcohol being a bad addition to that mix, even if it's from perfectly rational adults who don't realize how it'll impact them in the florida heat.

ultimately... I'd say i just don't trust Management to avoid the temptation of the policy creep now that the door has been opened...

I think people are over reacting, it's just a little beer or wine with dinner, in one table service location, at dinner only. My guess is most guests won't even know that alcohol is available. People are reacting as if they opened a bar up on Main Street, you won't be able to just wander in and order a beer.

And all this business about Walt, Walt opened club 33 in Disneyland. Sure it's a private club, but it's still in Disneyland.

Club33 is an entirely different animal. It's a private club, so it's much more exclusive and therefore serves a different clientele, has a totally different [expensive] cost structure, and has a different vibe. You don't have to worry about Club33 causing the policy to creep to other restaurants.

Another way of looking at it....

There is no way that Club 33 would ever take the DDP. BOG is a 1 TS Credit DDP restaurant. That right there should highlight how different the target markets, and general clientele would be. the DDP is marketed to everybody, while Club 33 isn't even really known about outside of it's traditional Membership rolls and the Disney fans.

Really, really sad. I know they say it is a theming issue, and helps tell a story. Sorry, I don't remember Belle knocking back Pinots; anyone else?

And for me, it doesn't matter if it is in one restaurant or all the restaurants, Walt's intention was for a dry MK. For me, the dry MK was out of respect to Walt's wishes and his memory. I did NYE a few years back at Epcot, and I gotta tell you, it was sad. It did not even feel like the same place. I remember thinking, "Am I even in Walt Disney World?" But, there was always Magic Kingdom, good ol Magic Kingdom. No matter what, when I was in Magic Kingdom, despite all the updates and changes over the years, it always felt like home, and it always felt like nothing had ever changed at all.

I worry that it is a slippery slope. Kind of like pregnancy. There is no relative terms for pregnancy, no "little bit" pregnant. You either are or you aren't. You are either a dry park or you aren't. And now, MK won't be. And if they aren't dry, what's to stop them from offering beer and wine everywhere?

Guess I'm in the minority.

What's the big deal about allowing a glass of wine with dinner - in ONE restaurant? Not that it's any skin off my nose, since we're not eating dinner there this trip, anyway.

I was coming here to ask what everyone thought.

I'm not really for it as MK was meant to be a "dry" park.

On the flip, Gaston's should have alcohol to fit its theme like in the movie.

If I had to say yay or nay, I'm definitely against it. It should remain as a dry park. If you want to drink, go to Epcot. ;)

I liken a nice glass of wine as much as the next person, but I really wish that the powers that be had stuck with Walt's original wishes.....a 'dry' MK. I know others will disagree, but that's just how I feel. As soon as that can of worms is opened, I see the other restaurants following suit.

I like to have a nice glass of wine with dinner, but, I wish that the MK would have stayed dry. This is the beginning, where does it end? 1 restaurant, then all of them, then beer being served around the MK at snack stands. It seems like another way for Disney to make more money.:(

I think they should have kept it dry. There is plenty of alcohol in the other parks.

I'm sad about this decision. I like MK being alcohol free and don't see any reason why they need to break that tradition. I agree with what others have said, it won't be long before other places in MK will serve alcohol too.

I don't drink except for a very rare glass of wine a few times a year, so I don't know if that makes me biased, but I just don't see the need to do this. I loved the fact that MK was dry, not so much because of me, but for kids whose parents tend to drink too much...MK was somewhere they didn't have to worry about it and just have fun. I don't know, it's sad, it was an ideal of Walt's, they should have let it be.

Really, really sad. I know they say it is a theming issue, and helps tell a story. Sorry, I don't remember Belle knocking back Pinots; anyone else?

And for me, it doesn't matter if it is in one restaurant or all the restaurants, Walt's intention was for a dry MK. For me, the dry MK was out of respect to Walt's wishes and his memory. I did NYE a few years back at Epcot, and I gotta tell you, it was sad. It did not even feel like the same place. I remember thinking, "Am I even in Walt Disney World?" But, there was always Magic Kingdom, good ol Magic Kingdom. No matter what, when I was in Magic Kingdom, despite all the updates and changes over the years, it always felt like home, and it always felt like nothing had ever changed at all.

I worry that it is a slippery slope. Kind of like pregnancy. There is no relative terms for pregnancy, no "little bit" pregnant. You either are or you aren't. You are either a dry park or you aren't. And now, MK won't be. And if they aren't dry, what's to stop them from offering beer and wine everywhere?

I agree with all of the above!

I love the idea that I can have a nice meal, with a glass of wine, in the MK. I see no problem with this. This wine & beer list is mostly high end - there's not a glass of Beringers or a bottle of Bud anywhere in sight.

If someone really wants to get drunk and go ride Space Mountain, it's more likely they'll go to one of the monorail resorts and then head on over. I know I've had a few drinks with dinner over at California Grill and then gone over to MK for EMH nights.

No alcohol MK = purity and good family values and alcohol in this park is not appropriate.

DR NYKCB (Ken)

No alcohol MK = purity and good family values and alcohol in this park is not appropriate.

DR NYKCB (Ken)

I don't buy that Disney can put alcohol into any park it wants to if they decide to start serving it in Cinderella Castle I wouldn't care either. If it's that much of a problem for you stop going to WDW.

This is terrible.

I'm very upset about this.

This is really effecting me more than it should, but now I'm kinda mad.

I'm sorry but I really don't get why you have to resort to name calling and don't tell me what to d when it comes to the MK. If you don't want to see Someone having a glass of wine in a restaurant in the MK maybe you are the one that needs to stay home.

I'm sorry but I really don't get why you have to resort to name calling and don't tell me what to d when it comes to the MK. If you don't want to see Someone having a glass of wine in a restaurant in the MK maybe you are the one that needs to stay home.

Alcohol has no business in the MK so stay home ... And watch your comments!

DR NYKCB (Ken)

DR NYKCB (Ken)

Wow! you are entitled to your opinion, such as you wish they wouldn't serve alcohol in MK, but you are way out of line in 'blasting' someone who is okay with it being served.

Wow! you are entitled to your opinion, such as you wish they wouldn't serve alcohol in MK, but you are way out of line in 'blasting' someone who is okay with it being served.

I don't like someone stating to that I should just not go to WDW ... That's out of line!

DR NYKCB (Ken)

I don't care about the alcohol as long as it's not being served from carts throughout the park. And I don't think this is at all the slippery slope that some people think it is going to be. That sounds like the argument of some people who live in dry counties: "Everyone will become an alcoholic and our towns will no longer be safe if we allow wine and beer to be sold in the grocery store."

Most people who drink in the parks (or anywhere else for that matter) do not get drunk. It's just that drunk people tend to be louder, so those are the ones you notice.

BUT what I do wish is that they'd make this trade-off: Allow the alcohol, but make it so that people who scream at their spouse or children aren't allowed into the park.

OR wouldn't is make more sense to allow the alcohol but ban cigarettes, since Walt died of lung cancer?

This too shall pass. Like Mary Jo said, it will be a trivia question a few years down the road.

DR NYKCB (Ken)

I am i'm not the one who is calling people names.

I don't like someone stating to that I should just not go to WDW ... That's out of line!

DR NYKCB (Ken)

So your allowed to tell someone else that they should stay home just because they have different views then you?

I am i'm not the one who is calling people names.

So your allowed to tell someone else that they should stay home just because they have different views then you?[/

Lets stay on point here ... It's my opinion that serving alcohol in the MK is a trial balloon to guage whether or not the public has an issue with serving alcohol. This may lead to other restaurants and other venues serving alcohol.

DR NYKCB (Ken)

Lets stay on point here ... It's my opinion that serving alcohol in the MK is a trial balloon to guage whether or not the public has an issue with serving alcohol. This may lead to other restaurants and other venues serving alcohol.

DR NYKCB (Ken)

I get that you are allowed to have your opinion and I'm allowed to have mine bu at the end of the day it's the opinion of the Disney executives who will be putting the policy into place that maters.

What I objected to was you calling me a liberal and telling me to not go to WDW because I am OK with them serving Beer and Wine in a restaurant in the MK. As far as others go I don'at see why it would be a problem. Now if they start selling it in carts that's different.

I get that you are allowed to have your opinion and I'm allowed to have mine bu at the end of the day it's the opinion of the Disney executives who will be putting the policy into place that maters.

What I objected to was you calling me a liberal and telling me to not go to WDW because I am OK with them serving Beer and Wine in a restaurant in the MK. As far as others go I don'at see why it would be a problem. Now if they start selling it in carts that's different.

What I object is your first statement about recommending that I just don't go to WDW.

Now ... We have both expressed our views on serving alcohol at the MK ... We will have to agree to diagree on this point.

I would like to hear from others and their opinions!

DR NYKCB (Ken)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter