MK New Year's Eve - What time to arrive?

leebez10

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We will be visiting over NYE this year and I was hoping to get a rough idea of what would be a safe time to arrive at MK on the 31st Dec. I saw that MK in particular has reached capacity in previous years on NYE and we have lunch reservations at 12:30 at BOG for which we were planning to arrive and head straight there (So leave our resort at around 10:45/11:00am).

Starting to wonder however if we should be looking to arrive sooner to ensure we do get into MK?

Thanks!

Hi,

We will be visiting over NYE this year and I was hoping to get a rough idea of what would be a safe time to arrive at MK on the 31st Dec. I saw that MK in particular has reached capacity in previous years on NYE and we have lunch reservations at 12:30 at BOG for which we were planning to arrive and head straight there (So leave our resort at around 10:45/11:00am).

Starting to wonder however if we should be looking to arrive sooner to ensure we do get into MK?

Thanks!

The last few years it has hit an early phase closure for a bit, but nothing that impacts resort guests or multi day ticket holders.

While anything is possible, I wouldn’t worry about park closures, but traffic may cause delays as buses are in the same traffic (assuming you’re taking a bus). The new toll booth flyover helped a ton with bus traffic last year, but it can still back up on World Drive at times.

Good luck!

I’d worry about traffic more then a closure. I think you need to leave earlier to make sure you get to your BOG reservation on time. Just getting through security and the tapstyles could be madness once you arrive at the MK.

The last few years it has hit an early phase closure for a bit, but nothing that impacts resort guests or multi day ticket holders.

While anything is possible, I wouldn’t worry about park closures, but traffic may cause delays as buses are in the same traffic (assuming you’re taking a bus). The new toll booth flyover helped a ton with bus traffic last year, but it can still back up on World Drive at times.

Good luck!
I’d worry about traffic more then a closure. I think you need to leave earlier to make sure you get to your BOG reservation on time. Just getting through security and the tapstyles could be madness once you arrive at the MK.

Thanks both, sounds like a an hour or two earlier to leave would be better!

Are you staying onsite or offsite? If you are onsite, just use Disney transportation and leave your car at your resort. If offsite, you need to get there as early as possible because traffic lines will be awful.

Are you staying onsite or offsite? If you are onsite, just use Disney transportation and leave your car at your resort. If offsite, you need to get there as early as possible because traffic lines will be awful.

We're staying at Coronado Springs, sorry should have mentioned that! So we will be using Disney Transport for our whole stay whilst bracing ourselves for carnage!

In that case, you'll be just fine. Yeah, there's heavy, heavy HEAVY traffic getting to MK on NYE. Like the last 2 years it's backed up TO the turn off to go HS and the Epcot area resorts. (sorry I am awful with street names). Solid line of cars sitting waiting to get through the gates to park. And this included last year where the new flyover was in place. This is where Resort transportation comes in as a lifesaver. They can use the bypass/flyover and skip the parking gates. Private cars can not.

Does the heavy traffic begin first thing in the morning before park opening or more mid to late morning?
Does this hold true for the 30th as well as the 31st?
Thanks tons!
Ellen

Does the heavy traffic begin first thing in the morning before park opening or more mid to late morning?
Does this hold true for the 30th as well as the 31st?
Thanks tons!
Ellen
I know it's there at 10:00ish. Honestly not sure how much earlier it starts. We aren't early risers after being out on the 30th
I have not seen it on the 30th. At least not in the morning. Maybe it is worse later that day?

Traffic will be a nightmare getting into the park if you aren't staying on site already. The earlier the better and 10am is right out! Also note that people will start staking out fireworks viewing spots almost immediately.

The traffic is there waiting to get into the park. It starts early.

Last year we went to MK on NYE while staying at the Swan. We took a bus around 8:00 from the resort. Traffic was already crazy and it took about an hour to get from the resort to MK. We knew we did not want to get back into the traffic when we left MK around 2:30 that afternoon. We were so happy that we decided to avoid the buses and instead took the monorail to Epcot. The monorail wasn't crowded at all and we marveled at the lines of traffic backed up as far as our eyes could see in seemingly every direction as we sailed past on the monorail. I am not familiar with the transportation from Coronado Springs, but if I were you, I would avoid being on the roads on NYE as much as possible.

Is this intense traffic only for NYE or is it bad all Christmas to New Year week? We’ve rented a car because of DGS (2) for hopefully quicker exits from the parks. But now I’m debating about using a car at all. Thanks!

Is this intense traffic only for NYE or is it bad all Christmas to New Year week? We’ve rented a car because of DGS (2) for hopefully quicker exits from the parks. But now I’m debating about using a car at all. Thanks!
worse traffic is Christmas Eve and Day and NYE morning is the worst, people believe that the park closes for capacity at noon and although it does hit some phased level, if you are staying on site OR have a dinning reservation OR fastpasses or an an AP you will be allowed in.
During the 2 weeks I would add an hour for transportation just to be safe.
Exiting the park after fireworks is a pain but if you hang around for an hour after you won't find much traffic other than on NYE when all the parks close at the same time (minus AK)

We stay onsite and only use the bus to the parks Christmas/New Years week. We’ve never experienced a traffic delay from the bus and we come and go from our resort (either POFQ or Pop) at all hours throughout the day that week. I know we’ve been lucky though because I have read bus experiences that are different from mine. I do marvel at the line of cars trying to get in and out of the parks each day from the parks. The buses do manage to bypass most of that chaos. I don’t recommend using a car that week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter