Minimum to Buy Direct

Belle53

Earning My Ears
Since DVC direct sales have opened back open recently, has the minimum purchase at any resort for new members changed? Can you buy in at 50 points?

It depends on the resort. Most resorts are still 100. A few will permit 50 but you will not get a blue card.

And if you cannot borrow more than 50% of next year's points, 75 points aren't going to get you much of a stay.

And if you cannot borrow more than 50% of next year's points, 75 points aren't going to get you much of a stay.
Well, apparently you haven’t done a tour lately. ( obviously I’m just joking) They point out that that you can get a studio for 8 points at AKV value at Jambo. 75 will get you 9 nights. They were surprised when I said you need to own at AKV to get the room at 11 months and that can be a challenge.

Last edited:

I went in Jan on a tour and the minimum was 100 points for. 16K at SSR. I’d tend to go for 4-5 nights. Wondering if a smaller. 60 point contract is worth it to go every other year and combine banked, current UY and following for larger rooms. I assume you can’t use combined points at 11 Mo at your home resort? I have a lot to learn. I may find the contacts number and give him a call and see what they plan on doing with the covid economy. Maybe they will start selling smaller point contracts to first time buyers

I went in Jan on a tour and the minimum was 100 points for. 16K at SSR. I’d tend to go for 4-5 nights. Wondering if a smaller. 60 point contract is worth it to go every other year and combine banked, current UY and following for larger rooms. I assume you can’t use combined points at 11 Mo at your home resort? I have a lot to learn. I may find the contacts number and give him a call and see what they plan on doing with the covid economy. Maybe they will start selling smaller point contracts to first time buyers

You can only borrow 50% right now, so the banked-current-following won't necessarily work.

You can only borrow 50% right now, so the banked-current-following won't necessarily work.
Is the 50% borrow thing new? I'm very, very new to this and still researching. Is this to combat a potential/likely point surplus from the shutdowns?

Is the 50% borrow thing new? I'm very, very new to this and still researching. Is this to combat a potential/likely point surplus from the shutdowns?
Yes. But DVC has the contractual right to stop banking or borrowing at any time.

So we (ok...not me, yet) as owners are only guaranteed our points within a given UY? The bank/borrow "policy" is to be understood as a perk. Is that correct?

I wouldn't use the term perk, as perk is associated with a bunch of other stuff with DVC that has differentiation between direct and resale buyers. Banking/Borrowing is directly tied to the real estate interest, so DVC cannot restrict it only to direct or similar. Everyone can bank or borrow under the same rules, but those rules can change based on point balance.

Most of us have always believed the bank/borrow restrictions would start getting invoked sometime in the 2030s when the 2042 resorts start aging rapidly. But this crisis has put a borrow restriction in play, and if point issues build up due to low demand (and two closed resorts), they may expand and may last longer than 2-3 years.

If by combined points you mean banked, current, and borrowed points from the same contract, then yes you CAN use combined points at your home resort at 11 months.

I wouldn't use the term perk, as perk is associated with a bunch of other stuff with DVC that has differentiation between direct and resale buyers. Banking/Borrowing is directly tied to the real estate interest, so DVC cannot restrict it only to direct or similar. Everyone can bank or borrow under the same rules, but those rules can change based on point balance.

Most of us have always believed the bank/borrow restrictions would start getting invoked sometime in the 2030s when the 2042 resorts start aging rapidly. But this crisis has put a borrow restriction in play, and if point issues build up due to low demand (and two closed resorts), they may expand and may last longer than 2-3 years.
Got it. Thank you! Everyone here and in other threads I’m in have been a great help. A welcome and fleeting thing online these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter