Middle Class Priced Out???

I have to admit, and it pains me to admit, that after our trip last May (which was after not going for several years) I felt that a lot of the magic had just worn off for me. I still had a good time. I worked hard at finding experiences that I hadn't had before to "refresh" our time there. But the incessant upgrades (want a great seat for fireworks? pay $50 each for a dessert buffett) The 6 months out ADR's (or else spend your days hitting refresh on your browser in hopes of getting a table) the fastpasses in advance, the ticket price increases and another charge if you want to hop --we all know the drill for all of these things and accept them --usually with joy because we love Disney so much, but somehow it has just diminished it all for me and I had no plans to return again for quite some time. Then old friends called who I did the college program with years ago and said let's do a reunion in the fall. I really really thought long and hard about it. It's going to be a very pricey trip staying onsite in a deluxe (the four of them were adamant--I could have been fine at a value) a four day park pass etc etc. The price is frankly not worth it. But I decided I would go because the experience of being with that group of people is what I am really paying for. A once in a lifetime reunion of college friends who I rarely see in the place that brought us together. So I will go and have a wonderful time, but after this trip I don't expect to be back for a very long time. The is a very big world for me to explore and I can see a lot for it for the same price as yet another trip to see the mouse.

Those are some of the reasons we were four years between trips - and we are DVC members. And our last trip was very different - we did an adults trip which involved even more dining and drinking than usual - and brought adult friends to do it with.

With our points on the "every two year" plan, we are at the decision making point for the next trip - and I'll probably rent out most of them. We are nearing retirement age and live in Minnesota, so HHI in the Winter sounds like a better deal than snowblowing......

For us, the price was just the breaking point. We drive to FL every year and have free lodging available right outside the parks. For the price of tickets plus parking though, we can take a vacation somewhere else with smaller crowds and not feel so rushed to 'get our moneys worth'. I hate using Disney transportation with a stroller so even when we stayed onsite that wasn't a draw. The extra magic hours just meant we were even more exhausted. The dining was nice but when you're just inhaling your food to make your next FP (that you had to book months ago) does ambiance really matter?!? The clincher was when my 5 year old decided she didn't like Disney World. For her, the waits and crowds were not worth it for what she was able to accomplish. She loves Disney in theory (plays with Disney princess stuff, watches Disney movies over and over, etc) but has made it clear she doesn't need to go back (we tried again last year when she was almost 8, same thought). So now, why are we paying that much for a vacation that the princess loving kid doesn't even want to go on?!?!?

I think life in general is pricing the middle class out. That said, yes, I think Disney is very expensive, especially if you want to stay on-site, but if you don't need to do so and live close enough that you can drive there, it can be a relatively inexpensive vacation. I would much rather go to Disney than lie on a beach for a week or go sight seeing in some foreign country.

We are planning our second trip for the year and by the end of it, we will have spent close to $20K in total. Is it worth the money? Perhaps not, but for me, the time spent with my kids at the place where we feel truly is the happiest place on Earth is priceless.

This is a subject I've given a fair amount of thought. I never went to WDW as a child, the first time was in '81 when I was 18. I loved it, and knew I would come back as often as possible. Throughout the '80s I went back several times as a poor college student, staying in budget hotels envying those that could stay onsite. I vowed once I graduated college and got a good a good job, I would return yearly and stay at onsite.
So starting in the late '80s we started out at CB, then PO, as the years went by started staying in deluxe resorts, the Contemporary, Poly, AK. We never have gone yearly, usually every 2-3 years. Now it's every 3-4 years. Starting about 10 years ago I became somewhat disillusioned with WDW, this had to do more with certain rides and favorite spots closing than with costs. However it is far more expensive. The last deluxe resort we stayed at was AK, we really enjoyed it but decided it wasn't worth it as we are just sleeping in the room. We can afford to stay where we want, I have a good job & my wife has a successful business, but it just doesn't make sense to spend that much on a room. It's silly but we felt guilty.
Then about a year ago I started getting that desire to go to WDW, our last trip was in '13. So we decided to come back January of '17. What I realized was there is only one WDW, things are going to change. It is inevitable. In fact it has to change, to stay competitive. Prices will increase, everything costs more.
So I decided this trip would be scaled back vacation more like the one we took in the early'90s. We stayed at PO French Quarter, didn't make a lot of reservations. The result was a much more enjoyable visit.

This is a subject I've given a fair amount of thought. I never went to WDW as a child, the first time was in '81 when I was 18. I loved it, and knew I would come back as often as possible. Throughout the '80s I went back several times as a poor college student, staying in budget hotels envying those that could stay onsite. I vowed once I graduated college and got a good a good job, I would return yearly and stay at onsite.
So starting in the late '80s we started out at CB, then PO, as the years went by started staying in deluxe resorts, the Contemporary, Poly, AK. We never have gone yearly, usually every 2-3 years. Now it's every 3-4 years. Starting about 10 years ago I became somewhat disillusioned with WDW, this had to do more with certain rides and favorite spots closing than with costs. However it is far more expensive. The last deluxe resort we stayed at was AK, we really enjoyed it but decided it wasn't worth it as we are just sleeping in the room. We can afford to stay where we want, I have a good job & my wife has a successful business, but it just doesn't make sense to spend that much on a room. It's silly but we felt guilty.
Then about a year ago I started getting that desire to go to WDW, our last trip was in '13. So we decided to come back January of '17. What I realized was there is only one WDW, things are going to change. It is inevitable. In fact it has to change, to stay competitive. Prices will increase, everything costs more.
So I decided this trip would be scaled back vacation more like the one we took in the early'90s. We stayed at PO French Quarter, didn't make a lot of reservations. The result was a much more enjoyable visit.

I'm hoping this is how our upcoming trip will be. My last trip was in 2013 as well and while there was nothing major that went wrong, there were a bunch of little things that just added up to a less than enjoyable trip. We're doing a 4 day/3 night trip with a 2 day park hopper and no reservations. We'll probably make fast pass reservations for Pandora (DH really wants to see it which is why we added a couple of days on post-cruise), but that will be it.

But the incessant upgrades (want a great seat for fireworks? pay $50 each for a dessert buffett) The 6 months out ADR's (or else spend your days hitting refresh on your browser in hopes of getting a table) the fastpasses in advance, the ticket price increases and another charge if you want to hop --we all know the drill for all of these things and accept them --usually with joy because we love Disney so much, but somehow it has just diminished it all for me

I understand completely. I hate feeling like I am "nickled and dimed" anywhere I go, and Disney does seem to excel at figuring out how to wring out the last penny from its guests. For example, the one thing that drives me up a wall is paying $20 a day for parking. For as much as i'm paying for tickets for four people for 5 or 6 park days, parking should be free. The ticket prices are more than the total cost for one of our non-Disney vacations!

I do admit that planning for Disney is a lot of work. I tongue and cheek tell my wife that planning to go to Disney is like planning a military campaign. After every trip, my wife and I swear that it will be a long time before we go again. It takes about 3 months for us to lose those feelings and long for another trip. I guess they pixie dust has a time-release component? :teeth:

Last edited:
I called this last trip, our "acoustic" version. We didn't have every minute planned out, a few ADRs & a few FPs. We knew what park we would visit each day, but left room for flexibility. This is more like how we did it 20+ yrs ago. The last time we stayed at PO was about 23 yrs ago. I don't know if it was nostalgia or being more relaxed, but I haven't had this much fun in years. Staying at a moderate resort allowed us to spend more on other things without feeling guilt. I suspect this is how we will approach our trips to WDW and/or US for the foreseeable future, I highly recommend it.

Last trip we took was in 2013, and we've been saving up since. We are considered 'poverty' level here in Canada with our salary not having seen an increase since 2009 (we own the farm, and the farm cannot afford it). Yet I have been able to make so many little changes to save a lot of money. We were planning a fall 2015 trip when we were told 'no way' by FIL due to him going in for surgery a couple of months before our planned vacay, and so we didn't book, and then the Canadian dollar tanked from being almost on par to costing $1.30 for every $1US. We have consistently tried to find a way to book another trip but have been told no by the in laws every time. I need a vacay that is more than 4 days. They don't want to let us have more than 7. My husband hasn't had more than 2 days off every 3 weeks now in over 4 years. I am going insane.

Anyway, in fall 2013 we had saved $6000 Cdn since our previous trip 1.5 years ago (we won that one. It was my first time to Disney and now I am hooked), and I told my husband if he could book us a trip for less than that, I'd go. I was not optimistic. We did a 9 nights trip, flight, free Disney Dining plan, all staying at the Pop Century, including 7 days in the parks plus we did MVMCP for $5000. For a family of 5 (my youngest was 8 months). At that point, I figured this was a very affordable option and we started saving for another trip right afterwards.

With the dollar where it is now, and with the price increases in everything, flights alone for our family of 6 costs us $3000. Don't get me started on hotels (especially since we can't stay in a normal room anymore due to our family size). The parks with the picture option is $2000Cdn if I'm lucky for 6 days. This is not including any food, souvenirs, or trying to rent a vehicle so we can perhaps see something else in the Orlando area (I don't really like Disney transportation. It's great for what it is, but with 4 kids and needing a stroller, I don't want to do it again. I preferred our first trip where we drove in, paid the parking fee, and did things in our own timing with our kiddos). This trip, with our family increased by one member, will now cost us more than double what it was last time for something equivalent. That is INSANE!

That said... I still want to go. I will drive the 30 hours one way if I have to as it will drastically decrease the overall price tag, and stay off site. But the value for what it was 3.5 years ago is just not there... and I am having my reservations on the whole idea (as my husband is still not able to get any time off. I am seriously having to fight bitterness on that one).

I understand completely. I hate feeling like I am "nickled and dimed" anywhere I go, and Disney does seem to excel at figuring out how to wring out the last penny from its guests. For example, the one thing that drives me up a wall is paying $20 a day for parking. For as much as i'm paying for tickets for four people for 5 or 6 park days, parking should be free. The ticket prices are more than the total cost for one of our non-Disney vacations!

I do admit that planning for Disney is a lot of work. I tongue and cheek tell my wife that planning to go to Disney is like planning a military campaign. After every trip, my wife and I swear that it will be a long time before we go again. It takes about 3 months for us to lose those feelings and long for another trip. I guess they pixie dust has a time-release component? :teeth:

They only charge for parking if you are staying off site. That is one little thing they can do to make people think twice about the choice to be off site. Gotta have perks for those who do pay the bucks to stay on site.

They only charge for parking if you are staying off site. That is one little thing they can do to make people think twice about the choice to be off site. Gotta have perks for those who do pay the bucks to stay on site.

I know, but on our last trip, we were quoted $4400 to stay in a value resort on site, have the lowest level dining plan, and 6 day non hopper tickets. Staying off site, it cost us $2500 including tickets lodging and food. As much as I hate paying for parking, i'll gladly pay $120 for parking and save $2000!

Our income was a little over sixty thousand for a family of four; and we have been able to go every two years. Stayed in a value resort, go during free dining. We always stayed a week, and a week in Daytona after (Holiday Inn Express type hotel). We were able to afford it, and still do. If you stay at value (kids don't know the difference), plan well and save a little every week - you can do it :)

The tickets and the food are crazy expensive. The resorts rates are comparable to the high season rates they charge in my neck of the woods.
I guess we pay dearly for that Disney experience.

So, my sister is planning a trip and I just looked at ticket prices for her... :eek:

Well over $2000 for 2 adults and two kids.

So I went back through my emails in case I was totally off base, but I wasn't. The cost of our first trip (in 2008) for 10 day tickets plus a room at Pop century was significantly less expensive ($1767). I know our trips got more expensive over the years, but I attributed that to staying at nicer resorts and adding another child.

My parents just bought DVC and are wanting to take some trips with the grandchildren. We were a two-weeks-every-year family when our kids were younger (2008-2015), but honestly it just seems like the prices have increased out of proportion to the value for us anymore. Can I afford $5000+ for a vacation? Yes. Do I think it's worth that much for under a week at Disney? Not really.

I think where People are being priced out is with all the added "extras" that are just ridiculous for a Family or larger Group. Example the MNSSHP... that on top of a week trip add another 400 for our Family.. Express buses now for PH's add that cost. How about BBB or Pirate cruise? add 200 for that too. Wishes desert Party? another 100+ for a Family.. THAT on top of Basic entrace...

20 Dollars for Mickey icecream for my Kids. it's all that Little stuff that adds up.. where I feel bad for families who just scrape by for room and tickets.. but I think the Kids dont Need all this stuff and enjoy it regardless.

dont get me started on Epcot.. the world's most expensive bar with cover Charge of 90 Dollars.

i think if a Family stays off -site or a value, packs Sandwiches and does a package with at least 4 days, where Price per day goes down, ist not that bad an doable.

that

thats not good thats scary

Its not scary its a fact of life. The more people in your family, the more things are going to cost your family.

You mentioned in a pp that just your disney tickets cost more than your non Disney vacations, but that isn't true for everyone. Its not true for our family, maybe for a weekend getaway and that may be cutting it close. If we are talking a week vacation for a family of 5, nope its going to cost more than just my WDW tickets.
Ooops, you aren't the poster that mentioned that.

I do agree with you about parking, but that isn't exclusive to WDW. I can't remember a place I have been to, whether its a theme park, concert, sports event where parking was free.

Its not scary its a fact of life. The more people in your family, the more things are going to cost your family.

You mentioned in a pp that just your disney tickets cost more than your non Disney vacations, but that isn't true for everyone. Its not true for our family, maybe for a weekend getaway and that may be cutting it close. If we are talking a week vacation for a family of 5, nope its going to cost more than just my WDW tickets.
Ooops, you aren't the poster that mentioned that.

I do agree with you about parking, but that isn't exclusive to WDW. I can't remember a place I have been to, whether its a theme park, concert, sports event where parking was free.

7 day park hoppers with water park option (no memory maker) for 3 disney adults and 2 children is currently $2619.90 direct from Disney. I think most 5 person middle class families could pick a week long driving vacation almost anywhere just for that money. I actually agree with the PP. If you have 6 people, it's even worse...

Yes, you could "slum" with 7 day base tickets, but you are still talking $2140.65 just to access the themeparks for 7 days...

For that same $2619.90, I could do 7 days at the Embassy Suites in Williamsburg for 6 ($1200), buy season passes to Busch Gardens and WaterCountry USA (for 4 Disney adults, 1 child, and 1 free 3-5 year old - $400), buy day passes to Colonial Williamsburg (same - a Virginian would get these for the year, not just a day, for $160), and still have $900-$1K to drive/eat/park with...so, it's totally doable for not a huge drop in quality or entertainment options...

For me at least, going to WDW is a luxury, a selfish indulgence. We vacation other places so it's now an every 3-4 year trip. I am basically a pretty frugal person, I don't drink soft drinks routinely, I take my lunch, don't have expensive hobbies or drink booze that often. So when we do go I don't worry about a $16.00 burger or $10.00 glass of wine. But then it's only two of us. I did make the observation at one point this last trip and mentioned it to my wife that I don't know how a young family can afford to come here. So to the OP point, the answer could be yes.

I've been to a several events over the past few years with free parking. The ones that I paid to park were only a $4, $5 or $8 charge. There was one Indy Car race where it was a Disney rate of $20 to park onsite, but you could park offsite for free, with a free shuttle to take you to the racetrack.

But, the events that I paid for parking were one time events. We went, did or saw whatever, and left and either didn't do that event again or did it a year later. With Disney, its every day for 5 or 6 days. That's what adds up quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter